Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Apple has enough money that they could fire up their own fab plants and make everything they need inhouse.

But that'd be expensive. Really expensive. Apple would have to buy up tons of space to build a loads of multibillion dollar factories to produce the devices, and hire hundreds of thousands of people to turn them out quickly and efficiently. Apple would become a bloated, unweildy company in the process, no longer singly focused on just making nice consumer products, and the only way they'd be able to maintain their profit margins would be to double or triple the price of everything they sell.

In the end, they'd end up draining their bank account without any substantial returns on their investment, and would probably be worse off, considering they don't have the experience to produce panels and chips en masse efficiently like Samsung or even LG does.

I'd believe this and be all over it in agreement if Apple didn't recently spend $100 Million on a US based manufacturing facility to produce their MacPros. Yes, I'm comparing a $650+ device to a $3,000+ device simply because Apple and many other manufacturers have found many ways to streamline the production of tech devices with robots which only require humans to assemble fewer parts. Bringing production of EVERY Apple product to the US is possible and would benefit this poor country so much but in the end, why would a company want to spend $XXXXX amount of dollars producing devices in American when they can do it all for only $XXX in China?

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Long story but I have two brand new mini retinas. Looking at them side by side and having done this grid test, the one on right I'll call "R" didn't have the retention issue. The one at left, "L" did have it but it fades very quick. R also has a brighter screen vs. L (yes, both at full brightness). The colors seem to pop more, also. The one really strange thing is that when you hold the lock button to power down and compare the "Slide to power off" buttons on screen, L has a deep, true red tone but R has a washed out, much more pinkish tone that does not look right to me at all. When I look at the color of this same button on screen of my iphone 5, it matches the pink/salmon of the R retina mini. Which should I keep?

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
apple must be happy to hear about this....
Apple may be number 1 in the market....but number 2000 in quality.

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
I just tested it on my ipad 3. I got some retention after 3 min. The issue has not affected me since 2012. Good thing I don't use my ipad to only look at black and white cubes everyday. :)

This. Clearly from just this thread this isn't a new issue. You have a year of coverage with your new ipad. Use it regularly. If something interferes with your activities, take it to a store and demonstrate the issue to a genius. They'll likely, in my experience- give you a new one.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
the difference between air and mini retina :)

This is a whole other issue, colour accuracy and for me would be a major issue. My stepsons Galaxy 3 has some very saturated colours although there may be some settings to control this but over saturated colours seem to be the norm and favoured by many.
It's interesting to see the difference in the side by side comparison although not a controlled test. Thanks for the post.

----------

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Long story but I have two brand new mini retinas. Looking at them side by side and having done this grid test, the one on right I'll call "R" didn't have the retention issue. The one at left, "L" did have it but it fades very quick. R also has a brighter screen vs. L (yes, both at full brightness). The colors seem to pop more, also. The one really strange thing is that when you hold the lock button to power down and compare the "Slide to power off" buttons on screen, L has a deep, true red tone but R has a washed out, much more pinkish tone that does not look right to me at all. When I look at the color of this same button on screen of my iphone 5, it matches the pink/salmon of the R retina mini. Which should I keep?

I'd want the one on the right any day. Image retention gets worse over time. I was planning to keep my mini for two years before upgrading, it won't last that long if image retention is thrown in the woks.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Apple has enough money that they could fire up their own fab plants and make everything they need inhouse.

But that'd be expensive. Really expensive. Apple would have to buy up tons of space to build a loads of multibillion dollar factories to produce the devices, and hire hundreds of thousands of people to turn them out quickly and efficiently. Apple would become a bloated, unweildy company in the process, no longer singly focused on just making nice consumer products, and the only way they'd be able to maintain their profit margins would be to double or triple the price of everything they sell.

In the end, they'd end up draining their bank account without any substantial returns on their investment, and would probably be worse off, considering they don't have the experience to produce panels and chips en masse efficiently like Samsung or even LG does.

They could just buy Sharp for example and run at arms length. That wouldn't cost them too much would it? They do the same with Filemaker and that has worked out ok.

I do understand what you're saying but if you don't "own" the core components of your products you're always going to be dependent on someone else and therefore vulnerable to problems like this. What happens if Samsung decided to stop supplying panels to Apple and they were left with a choice of inferior suppliers. That would surely hurt sales.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Gimped gamma, image retention, low supplies? Apple should have delayed the move to IGZO for this version. Most people would prefer a thicker, heavier retina iPad Mini with a perfect display over an anorexic tablet with self-image problems.

Time to pick up a used Nexus 7 2013 to tide me over until the iPad Mini 3 is released. You almost had my $400 Apple, maybe next time.

Good luck. Some have touch issues instead

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Now I have to wait to see if my rMini has problems with low gamut and color saturation levels. I going to take it to Apple store for them to test it! Why should I spend all the time on it while that what the store is for! Geniuses are there to take care of stuff like that! LOL!

thelezzy

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Has anyone pointed out that this was also present on the 1st gen iPad minis and several iPads throughout the years?

It is a non issue, really.

Nobody reported this issue when it was on any other iPads, I have no clue why we are talking about it.

Here is a test from my 1st gen mini. I realised it when I was making notes in pages. They keyboard gets burnt onto the screen as well.

I have compared it with samsung's LCD (almost 1 year old) and Super Amoled (almost 3.5 years old) . Neither has the problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 84

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Surely a poll should be set up to gauge how widespread the issue is. Perhaps we are only hearing about people who have problems, rather than those who have no problems at all?

Sounds like a new job for Seaturtle!!! Lol

----------

I returned mine box unopened 2 hours ago. To use such a cheap quality display in a product that cost almost double as it's competitors is terrible. I was able to pick up a Nexus 7 2013 32gig for $229 today and that display is high quality. A 32gig rMini cost $500; not worth $270 extra.
At least my iPhone 5s and Nexus 7 are different like night and day. When I use the 2 its like a new experience. I just hope Apple does not go cheap display on us with iPhone 6 or it's 100% back to Android.

But nexus is not made of metal:D

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Here is a test from my 1st gen mini. I realised it when I was making notes in pages. They keyboard gets burnt onto the screen as well.

I have compared it with samsung's LCD (almost 1 year old) and Super Amoled (almost 3.5 years old) . Neither has the problem

Looking like pot luck if we get a good display then. Apple really need to get back to using Samsung.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Crap...just tested on iPad2... I have it too....why the heck didn't I notice this for the past 3 years....

vikingdave

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Just build pixel shifting into iOS

I think that for the most part this is a non-issue.

However, Apple could very easily just modify iOS to slightly shift things by few pixels in each direction periodically. Some game consoles do this, and it's not something users even notice.

No matter how good displays are, this is something that they should implement.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
If you're using your device for more than Facebook and YouTube, then wasting time to blow some image retention out of proportion is your least significant problem.

Nor do you need to replace the device just for the heck of it.

Or try an Android tablet. Google for "Android image retention", and you'll be surprised how great the displays on the Galaxy S2, S3 and Note 2, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, … are. Noooo image retention whatso-****ing-ever. :rolleyes:

You, Sir, need to get off your high horse as should many others around here.

Are you seriously suggesting you know every user and use case?

And where did I say Android is all glory? Heck, is this some weird "if you're not for us, you're against us and hence for the enemy" kind of thing?
Why do you think we should pull in fanboyism into this when I simply want to argue that there are valid reasons to test this.
These tests are fairly quick and save you headaches, some people don't trust a device until they tested it, what's wrong about that?
I mean: what's WRONG about it, not "why wouldn't YOU do it". ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You, Sir, need to get off your high horse as should many others around here.

Are you seriously suggesting you know every user and use case?

And where did I say Android is all glory? Heck, is this some weird "if you're not for us, you're against us and hence for the enemy" kind of thing?
Why do you think we should pull in fanboyism into this when I simply want to argue that there are valid reasons to test this.
These tests are fairly quick and save you headaches, some people don't trust a device until they tested it, what's wrong about that?
I mean: what's WRONG about it, not "why wouldn't YOU do it". ;)

Glassed Silver:mac
You, Sir, I'm not sure about whether actually misunderstood or just trolling.

Reread it again, here are the statements made:
1. If you're actually working with the device, image retention is your least significant concern, unlike people who mostly use Facebook and YouTube. Unless you're viewing X-rays or similar, in which case you'd be best advised to get an Eizo or NEC display.

2. Replacing it is not a necessarity for flawless operation.

3. All screens aren't perfect, it's just more pronounced in an environment where lots of people have high-quality desktop screens that have great viewing angles and gamut, as well as even backlighting.

Android people don't talk about it for the most part as most of their screens are worse than the A+ grade displays Apple uses by default anyways.

Given your location, I took out the humor to aid your understanding, let me know if I need to rephrase it again.

Last edited:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
1. If you're actually working with the device, image retention is your least significant concern, unlike people who mostly use Facebook and YouTube. Unless you're viewing X-rays or similar, in which case you'd be best advised to get an Eizo or NEC display.

I didn't even think of medical applications. iPads are used a lot in hospitals now, this would almost certainly put them off from using the mini.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
They could just buy Sharp for example and run at arms length. That wouldn't cost them too much would it? They do the same with Filemaker and that has worked out ok.

I do understand what you're saying but if you don't "own" the core components of your products you're always going to be dependent on someone else and therefore vulnerable to problems like this. What happens if Samsung decided to stop supplying panels to Apple and they were left with a choice of inferior suppliers. That would surely hurt sales.

I don't think that "ownership" is the issue with Sharp. It's having the right technology, equipment and engineers who can produce the desired quality. Apple as the owner will still have to work with the same people, machines and processes as before - unless they can poach some Samsung engineers en masse....

wries

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
just did grid test with my Dell IPS LCD panel. It failed. Never noticed it in 2,5y lifetime ;)

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
This is great news. I had to look at that test image for several seconds before I could notice any "defect". A number of people will run this test, return their devices over a perceived problem that really wont affect real world performance, and then I can pick one up for cheap as a refurb. In the mean time I'm getting the ipad Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.