Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
One of the few Android smartphones I think has an amazing design. It's also packing quite the performance. Much better than Samsung's ugly Galaxy S3.

Thought the same thing. I saw sample photos from the Xperia Z camera and they don't seem any better than the 8 megapixel cameras out there.

Design is so much better than the turd-looking Galaxy S3 for sure though.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Thought the same thing. I saw sample photos from the Xperia Z camera and they don't seem any better than the 8 megapixel cameras out there.

Design is so much better than the turd-looking Galaxy S3 for sure though.

More megapixels does not correlate to better pictures. We all should know that! :D

I guess when Samsung said the design was inspired by nature, they meant feces and other natural waste products.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
I guess when Samsung said the design was inspired by nature, they meant feces and other natural waste products.

Ahaha!! +1
I must agree, never a fan of the samsung design, and their touchwiz rom makes me want to throw up in my mouth. SG4 not being a nexus, you can't even put Ubuntu on it. Looks like the 4 will be getting specs very similar to the flagships already out, (and no AMOLED, apparently) plus maybe one or two probably-won't-need-this-anyway extra features. If I was in the market for a new phone now > Xperia Z, at least I could use it in the bathtub and in the rain, which is something I can see myself doing on a weekly basis. :cool:
For now, my xperia t will serve me perfectly well until the X phone comes out.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Ahaha!! +1
I must agree, never a fan of the samsung design, and their touchwiz rom makes me want to throw up in my mouth. SG4 not being a nexus, you can't even put Ubuntu on it. Looks like the 4 will be getting specs very similar to the flagships already out, (and no AMOLED, apparently) plus maybe one or two probably-won't-need-this-anyway extra features. If I was in the market for a new phone now > Xperia Z, at least I could use it in the bathtub and in the rain, which is something I can see myself doing on a weekly basis. :cool:
For now, my xperia t will serve me perfectly well until the X phone comes out.

What do you find so nauseating about touchwiz? Genuine question.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
What do you find so nauseating about touchwiz? Genuine question.

It's ugly, looks outdated, skeuromorphism is something I hate apple enough for, without having it on my droid phone too, crappy stock calendar app, and there's cleaner UI's out there. Yes, there's workarounds, still not a fan. Don't root my phone because I'm happy with stock, but I never got such a large desire to root and completely change the entire damn UI as I did using touchwiz, despite it having a few nifty features.
Using stock android on my xperia phone and timescape is a blessing in comparison. Rom actually has features I use, such as the dedicated task switcher button, and opposed to samsung's "offerings", I actually use their "bloatware", and I love the design.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's ugly, looks outdated, skeuromorphism is something I hate apple enough for, without having it on my droid phone too, crappy stock calendar app, and there's cleaner UI's out there. Yes, there's workarounds, still not a fan. Don't root my phone because I'm happy with stock, but I never got such a large desire to root and completely change the entire damn UI as I did using touchwiz, despite it having a few nifty features.
Using stock android on my xperia phone and timescape is a blessing in comparison. Rom actually has features I use, such as the dedicated task switcher button, and opposed to samsung's "offerings", I actually use their "bloatware", and I love the design.

I hate the stock Samsung calendar as well. I downloaded business Cal and it is very clean. You should check that out.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Yep, fair enough, thanks for your answer, I was curious. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
As unboxing and reviews are popping up, I still can't fathom why Sony wouldn't want to release this in the US of A.

: shakes head :

The white one is just a gorgeous device. Might be the best looking smartphone I've ever seen.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Still a lovely device, but it is clear from the reviews on YouTube & we sites its certainly a finger print magnet..... Could they have not treated their shatterproof protector / overlay with an oleophobic coating front & back to help reduce that.

However, as attractive as the Sony Xperia Z design might be out of the box, within minutes of use the device looks like a scruffy smearing pot of greasy fingerprints and unappealing grime marks. Dramatically exaggerated by the glass rear and expansive 5-inch touchscreen display, the handset is hard to keep in an aesthetically pleasing manner, quickly reverting to excessively smeared after frequent wipe downs
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-xperia-z_Mobile-Phone_review#WEIJAuBFE4KjEoRu.99

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Umm.. I think I want an Xperia Z now.. lol.

T-Mobile/Sony showing off the water resistant feature.

http://www.androidcentral.com/wet-swimsuit-models-remind-us-we-want-xperia-z

xz_retail_6-640x960.jpg

xz_retail_3-640x426.jpg

xz_retail_8-640x426.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Still a lovely device, but it is clear from the reviews on YouTube & we sites its certainly a finger print magnet..... Could they have not treated their shatterproof protector / overlay with an oleophobic coating front & back to help reduce that.

Dunk it in water for a wash. :D

But yea, I can see how that could be annoying.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
For some reason I like the xperia ZL design better. Its more compact and I like the notification light at the bottom. Plus it has ir remote and a dedicated flash button.

After seeing the leaked GSIV I think Sony and HTC have the best looking phones this year.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
anybody already own one ? any first impression to share ?

I own the Z along with an iPhone 5 and note 2.

Whilst the design and build quality is the best Android device available in my opinion, it is not on par with the iPhone 4 or 5.

Overall the Z is an excellent phone and it is my favourite phone of the three I own. I loved the Note 2 but hated its exterior design and plastic body. iPhone 5 is too small and IOS needs a radical change.

The downsides with the Z is that the screen will look washed out to people especially those used to Samsung screens. It is still a nice screen but if you compare it side by side to an amoled screen it will look less vibrant. The screen on the Sony is just different. Not bad, just different. It is very sharp though which I like. Would definitely recommend the Z if you can accept that the screen technology is different to what you may be used to.

I am waiting for the Tablet Z as I am so impressed with the Xperia Z phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Whilst the design and build quality is the best Android device available in my opinion, it is not on par with the iPhone 4 or 5.

Overall the Z is an excellent phone and it is my favourite phone of the three I own. I loved the Note 2 but hated its exterior design and plastic body. iPhone 5 is too small and IOS needs a radical change.

The downsides with the Z is that the screen will look washed out to people especially those used to Samsung screens. It is still a nice screen but if you compare it side by side to an amoled screen it will look less vibrant. The screen on the Sony is just different. Not bad, just different. It is very sharp though which I like. Would definitely recommend the Z if you can accept that the screen technology is different to what you may be used to.

How is the sony UI? It looks pretty close to a stock experience.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012

thanks for the insight. one of the things that made me want the Z is the hardware design that is similar to the iPhone 4, and also the premium build with glass rather than plastic.
but you say its not on par, what is missing / that doesn't feel right ?
I thought sony would design somewhat similar if not better design than the 4?

I also heard about the washed out screen, have to check it when it launched here in a couple of days.

ukbondraider

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2010
How is the sony UI? It looks pretty close to a stock experience.

Yes the UI is pretty close to stock. The Sony apps eg Walkman and movies are also great.

You can also delete most of the boatware this time round.

----------

thanks for the insight. one of the things that made me want the Z is the hardware design that is similar to the iPhone 4, and also the premium build with glass rather than plastic.
but you say its not on par, what is missing / that doesn't feel right ?
I thought sony would design somewhat similar if not better design than the 4?

I also heard about the washed out screen, have to check it when it launched here in a couple of days.

The iPhone 4 sides are made of metal and just give the 4 a pure class feel.

The Z has a plastic skeleton on the sides so makes it feels more plastic than the iPhone. The glass on the Z is also thinner and lighter and feels less like glass than the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 weight and metal sides give it that top premium feel compared to the Z.

In short the Z still feels a little plastic compared to the 4 although is much better that the array of plastic android devices out there.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The iPhone 4 sides are made of metal and just give the 4 a pure class feel.

The Z has a plastic skeleton on the sides so makes it feels more plastic than the iPhone. The glass on the Z is also thinner and lighter and feels less like glass than the iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 weight and metal sides give it that top premium feel compared to the Z.

In short the Z still feels a little plastic compared to the 4 although is much better that the array of plastic android devices out there.

ah, I understand completely now. so the sides is plastic probably because the hidden port and also what makes it water and dust proof.

too bad sony had to compromise.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
This is the first android phone thats seriously made me think about switching. I think its stunning.

I like the apple eco system and integration too much to switch tho.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Truly an impressive device.

Is there anyone here that has the phone? What are your thoughts on it?

I may pick this up.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
this phone is already underspecced to the Android competition.. why would anyone get this phone over a HTC One or a S4?

Last edited:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
this phone is already underspecced to the competition.. why would anyone get this phone over a HTC One or a S4?

How is it underspecced? You might argue the SoC is a couple of months old but still it's comparable to at least the HTC One.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How is it underspecced? You might argue the SoC is a couple of months old but still it's comparable to at least the HTC One.

HTC One has the newer more powerful Snapdragon 600.

Xperia z AnTuTu = 19,000. Quadrant = 8,000
HTC One AnTuTu = 24,500. Quadrant = 12,000

The HTC One is outbenching both the Exynos 5 S4 and the Snapdragon S4 in early benchmark tests (not by a big margin, but its still ahead). However what difference that makes in daily operation is probably minimal.

The HTC One does have better screen technology resulting it much better viewing angles, that is probably the xperia Z's only true weakness in the scheme of things.

That and the terrible attraction to finger grease it has. I don't want a phone that's going to make me mad OCD cleaning it constantly. I really don't understand why Sony didn't incorporate an oleophobic coating on the device especially given that glass shows more fingerprints anyway. A big misstep in its design not having a coating to reduce those fingerprints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.