Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Not interested in this phone personally but I must admit I'm very impressed by the water resistance. I saw a Sony booth where they were demonstrating these and the guy played a video on it while he dunked it in a glass tank full of water and it just kept on playing. More phones need to be water resistant, seriously.

Although I like my Z, I would rather have the ZL without the waterproofing but they don't sell it here.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The ZL is such a more practical phone compared to the Z. I was out and about in DC for the Cherry Blossoms but I stupidly forgot my SD card for my high end camera. I whipped put my ZL and begrudgingly took photos with it. Surprisingly it takes decent photos in bright daylight and the hardware camera shutter button is a godsend. I could barely see the lcd but the hardware button guaranteed I took a good photo especially in burst mode.

The ZL is nothing to sneeze at.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/sony-xperia-z-sales-top-46-million-in-40-days-report-354794

Impressed or not? While not quite the GS3 like launch, it seems that they are doing quite well, according to one analyst. The phone is available in more than twice as many markets as the GS3 was on launch, and I'm still curious to see how they tackle our market! As in how or if they'll try to compete w/ the HTC One and GS4 in the US.

Yes very smart of them to release it well ahead of the S4 and HTC One. They also heavily marketed the phone, at least here in Sydney.

Will be interesting to see how it goes when the two phones above are released.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Anybody bought the phone and kept it ? Seriously its been a while i dont see a SE phone in the wild.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Anybody bought the phone and kept it ? Seriously its been a while i dont see a SE phone in the wild.

It does seem to be selling well, but I haven't seen many out in the wild.

I've also seen A LOT on eBay, people are selling them Used left/right/centre.

To me that either means upgraders are selling them for profit, or unhappy buyers are selling them quick.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
It does seem to be selling well, but I haven't seen many out in the wild.

I've also seen A LOT on eBay, people are selling them Used left/right/centre.

To me that either means upgraders are selling them for profit, or unhappy buyers are selling them quick.

Now that you mention "selling for profit" saw the bb z10 and the market have settle, cant imagine how the people that bought at 700+ feel right now lol

Its not only about the xperia z, the old ones i can honestly say never saw one in the flesh.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Now that you mention "selling for profit" saw the bb z10 and the market have settle, cant imagine how the people that bought at 700+ feel right now lol

Its not only about the xperia z, the old ones i can honestly say never saw one in the flesh.

Yeah.

I think Sony just missed the boat, to be honest. Like they are selling well with the Z but if it had been released 6 months earlier, it would have made a much bigger impact.

But at least they are along the right lines, and thinking a bit smarter than before.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I haven't seen anyone with a Z in the wild. I was close to buying one but I was disgusted by the viewing angles...

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yeah.

I think Sony just missed the boat, to be honest. Like they are selling well with the Z but if it had been released 6 months earlier, it would have made a much bigger impact.

But at least they are along the right lines, and thinking a bit smarter than before.

Funny, i remember the k700, w800, s700 and the higher quality camera phones they had :( very awesome work with those and i used to prefer SE over Nokia back in the day.

I hope they have something prepared along with the PS4 release, it will help a lot with phone sells if they figure a nice way to integrate both.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I haven't seen anyone with a Z in the wild. I was close to buying one but I was disgusted by the viewing angles...

You haven't actually seen one in person though? Do you usually view your phone side on constantly?

While the viewing aren't great, they aren't as bad as you may think if you haven't viewed them in person.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I gave one of these a run at a Telstra store after work yesterday while I was in there picking up some 4G mobile broadband modems- the screen on it is amazing. The body feels fantastic too. Sony's hardware division still knows how to produce a stellar product. I didn't get much of a chance to play with the software, but it performed a lot better than the Nexus 7 (thankfully).

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Why bother. HTC and Sammy have better screens and hardware now.

Regardless of smartphone, I'd probably root and flash CM, so that kind of evens the playing field across OEMs for me. And the difference between last gen internals is not really too far behind the HTC One and GS4. Since the devices are then pretty close for the function I need, I would choose the XZ b/c to me it's the sleekest looking phone on the market. Unless the screen is horrendous!

And I actually don't really like the One, somehow for me it just felt awkward in hand.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It's an OK phone, my current beater. This one is unlocked, so I just put an all-you-can-eat data sim in it for £5 a month. Fast downloads, the 3.6Gb Bard's Tale took around 50 minutes via cellular. But it's not a great phone, in my opinion, for a flagship.

2013-05-18+20.11.09.png

I wanted something that was better than my crappy lagfest of an Arc S, and one that wouldn't slow down so much over time. Will probably keep it for a few months then get something else, perhaps an iPhone 5S.

2013-05-16+16.41.09.jpg

2013-05-16+16.41.13.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I paid £230 for mine... I think I like the look of the white one better.

yeah, it's not terrible. a little weird because the front is black.

I can't believe they're so cheap. I can barely find a S3 for $350 these days on CL.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
yeah, it's not terrible. a little weird because the front is black.

I can't believe they're so cheap. I can barely find a S3 for $350 these days on CL.

They are about €400 ( $500 ) here second hand....

How's the screen ? Is it really as washed out at angles?

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Well, I sourced mine locally - a groupon deal (they hadn't even set it up) I wouldn't have paid any more than that, even though it's unlocked.

I did tell myself I would never get another Sony after the Arc S and this is substantially better, but I prefer Apple or maybe HTC.

EDIT: I meant to say Gumtree, not Groupon

Last edited:

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, just like the reviews unfortunately. Viewing angles and brightness are subpar.

You try the latest update .253? Improves the screen dramatically and adds a white balance calibration setting too.

Clearly the person responsible for the initial screen calibration settings for this phone when it first shipped needs to be kicked in the arse.

They also finally changed the navigation ant taskbar to black instead of the crappy grey that made it appear washed out. Finally black looks black!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.