Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Nice looking watches guys/gals :) I got the regular SS but I wanted the SB SS. Couldn't make the budget work and get one for the wife. They sure look sharp; enjoy!

Reactions: Bmoreguy03

Carac

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Loving my Space Black, been wearing it non-stop (except to charge twice) since Thursday. My only real issue is that 6 links is a little too tight and 7 links is way too loose, could really use a half-thickness link to split the difference. Otherwise its been a god-send for my caseless iPhone 6+ since I rarely have to get it out of my pocket now. I use bluetooth audio in the car and would have to pull the phone out and put it in the console so I could see notifications, texts, etc. which meant having to remember to put it back in my pocket when getting out for gas, running a quick errand, etc. Now I just leave it in my pocket all the time. More specific Space Black observations is that my girlfriend got a Green Sport Band Watch and almost everyone we run into notices it and asks "IS THAT AN APPLE WATCH ?!?" Meanwhile, only a single eagle eyed person noticed my Space Black. It really is stealthy. And now that I think about it, the finish on it reminds me of a slightly shinier version of what you seen on stealth jets. A dark color with an intense depth. I've accidentally ran it across various surfaces, knocked it into door frames walking through, etc. which ends up happening with any watch and it is still spotless. Not a scratch. I'm becoming less and less worried about nicking it up. At least with how I handle and treat watches (15 years of wearing brushed stainless TAGs)

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
My only real issue is that 6 links is a little too tight and 7 links is way too loose, could really use a half-thickness link to split the difference.

I had this same problem. Solved it by wearing it loose but moving the extra link to the little finger side. It now sits much more centered and feels more balanced rather than too loose. If you already have more links on the little finger side, try moving another one there.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
I agree that mark on the strap on the earlier post is residue of what it struck, not damage to the DLC.

No idea how you'd go about removing it though.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I agree that mark on the strap on the earlier post is residue of what it struck, not damage to the DLC.

No idea how you'd go about removing it though.

Heh...wait for someone else to. :) It's going to happen. Did you dry a damp cloth? Maybe a little window cleaner?

I wouldn't do anything abrasive or corrosive.

It should wear off over time, if it's on the surface of the DLC.

There will be others that run into this, you could just wait to see what they do that removes it.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
Maybe the coarse scrubbing side of a washing up sponge?

Shouldn't think it could damage the DLC but may be harsh enough to remove the mark.

parallax33

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Chandler's Ford, UK
It scratches pretty easily, though. I try not to worry about it too much, it is meant to be used after all.

Looks like there is a solution!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/685604-Remove-scratches-from-black-finished-DLC-blades

----------

So it's basically traces of the metal that did the damage. Sounds like pencil erasers also work

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What gorgeous watches! They are stealthy! I never was sure what color they were supposed to be. I initially thought they were a gunmetal gray shade like a Pulsar I have. Now the one I saw in person at the store and these pics look very black. Really nice. I don't know where people get the idea they look plastic. A lot of people out there must not know DLC steel when they see it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't know where people get the idea they look plastic. A lot of people out there must not know DLC steel when they see it.

It doesn't have so much to do with people not knowing DLC steel but the fact that the Space Black tends to disappear into the plasticky border of the screen, making the latter the focal point of the watch. Most people here have only seen the Space Black in pictures and it's just an artifact of photographing. It just doesn't photograph well, but it isn't a problem in real life when it's not static and has light reflecting off it (especially the grain on the link bracelet).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It doesn't have so much to do with people not knowing DLC steel but the fact that the Space Black tends to disappear into the plasticky border of the screen, making the latter the focal point of the watch. Most people here have only seen the Space Black in pictures and it's just an artifact of photographing. It just doesn't photograph well, but it isn't a problem in real life when it's not static and has light reflecting off it (especially the grain on the link bracelet).
ahh, I see. Well I hope more and more start shipping and getting out where people can see them in person. I'd like to see how they hold up, myself. I might consider taking on the expense of this finish for generation 2 or 3, depending on the upgrade cycle. I like black and gunmetal watches. I've never owned a really nice deep black steel watch before. I admit I was tempted this time around but the cost held me back.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I love this watch. I checked my activity app and noticed I was nowhere near my calorie goal. So I got on the treadmill and burned 380 calories. Very motivating :)

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 929
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Looks great!

Haptics work ok when loose?

Yeah it works fine, I was concerned about that before I got it too. It's still pressing down on the top of the arm and wrist. As long as it's not loose enough for the face to twirl around to the sides or bottom it shouldn't be an issue. Mine is 'just' loose enough not to do that, so basically I keep it as loose as I can without it leaving the top. If you want an accurate heart rate though, I would hold it in place on the arm when you want such a recording, which is something I don't really need or use unless working out. One some rare occasions it does ask me to put in the passcode, but that's probably because it falls down to my hand (as pictured) like a bracelet. After all, it is a link 'bracelet' and that's what most loose bracelets do :)

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
I normally wear my watches loose but not this one.

I seem to be lucky to get a comfortable snug fit most of the time.
Sometimes my wrist might swell a bit, typically if I'm hot or after a weight session, then it feels a little tight and an extra link would be great, but then it would be too loose in the mornings or when cold.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I normally wear my watches loose but not this one.

I seem to be lucky to get a comfortable snug fit most of the time.
Sometimes my wrist might swell a bit, typically if I'm hot or after a weight session, then it feels a little tight and an extra link would be great, but then it would be too loose in the mornings or when cold.

I can get the watch to fit me nicely if I remove the links, but I didn't like the 'look' of it snug versus loose. My other watch is pretty thick (titanium Oakley Minute Machine diamond dial edition) so this one looks a bit too thin, especially when snug. When I loosen it up, it gives a thicker look I guess because you can see a little more bracelet.. which is what I was going for. This watch looks more thicker in photos and online when advertised, but the strap is pretty thin and 'delicate-looking' compared to my other watch.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
I agree it is smaller than I expected, probably my smallest watch in a small collection.

Had a couple of comments to the same point also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.