Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I hope this makes it clear. It's extremely hard to capture in a photo.

It's on the far right of the link I have light shining off of and it looks like a piece of hair but it's not :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 715

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I hope this makes it clear. It's extremely hard to capture in a photo.

It's on the far right of the link I have light shining off of and it looks like a piece of hair but it's not :)

Yep, they look like imperfections in the DLC coating process. You'll need to decide if it's worth calling Apple for a warranty replacement or not. Did you put AC+ on your watch yet? (having that express replacement option would be ideal, so you're not waiting 2-3 weeks for a replacement) - if you choose to replace it that is. I know some people are more anal/particular than others. :)

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Yep, they look like imperfections in the DLC coating process. You'll need to decide if it's worth calling Apple for a warranty replacement or not. Did you put AC+ on your watch yet? (having that express replacement option would be ideal, so you're not waiting 2-3 weeks for a replacement) - if you choose to replace it that is. I know some people are more anal/particular than others. :)

I'm trying not to be anal but I was concerned I scratched it too easily but I don't know how I could have scratched it there. It almost looks like a brush mark that isn't straight

I bought AC+ when I bought the watch so I am covered!

Has anyone else seen this in their bands?

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Not necessarily. Here is a pic of my current watch, a Rado ceramic, after about 4 years of daily wear:

It is still 100% perfect and has, as you can see, a mirror finish. The Rado ceramic is twice as tough as steel. It remains to be seen how tough the DLC is.

That is hideous

icewolf247

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
In my experience the DLC is far from tough

had my watch 1 day (was away when it arrived) and normal wear being really careful, covering in a sleeve and it has visible scratches across 3 of the links and part of the clasp

If I had been stupid I'd understand but a premium product with a strong coating, so I'd thought and I am really OCD about these things

Gutted and feel very let down at the moment, so am speaking to Apple. I read up on DLC etc because I don't want a watch that is weak at such a high cost

So that's my apple watch experience. Nearly 2 months of waiting and 1 day of usage and it's being returned. I may come back for the next gen but for now Apple has not impressed I'm afraid to say

Last edited:

Arad147

macrumors member
May 29, 2015
Band options

Thoughts on the best alternative band options that are available by Apple? Mainly looking for options while working out. Simple White? Do post pictures of yours!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
people should expect normal wear and tear on the DLC coated watches. It is a durable coating but not impervious to damage as is anything worn daily.

Apple has built plenty of money into the watch so that if you have a defect out of the box, they will replace it. BUT, sooner or later Apple will ask the user to accept that there is going to be normal wear and not replace the watch or band if we bashed it into something.

Reactions: ericwn

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
In my experience the DLC is far from tough

had my watch 1 day (was away when it arrived) and normal wear being really careful, covering in a sleeve and it has visible scratches across 3 of the links and part of the clasp

If I had been stupid I'd understand but a premium product with a strong coating, so I'd thought and I am really OCD about these things

Gutted and feel very let down at the moment, so am speaking to Apple. I read up on DLC etc because I don't want a watch that is weak at such a high cost

So that's my apple watch experience. Nearly 2 months of waiting and 1 day of usage and it's being returned. I may come back for the next gen but for now Apple has not impressed I'm afraid to say

Do you have any pictures?

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
England
Again, I'd make sure the scratches aren't in fact on top of the DLC.

It's common for the softer material to leave a deposit on DLC that can be removed with effort.

Not saying that's your issue, but it's worth examining and hope that's what it is.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
So now that I have my Space Black, how do you guys remove the band so easily from the watch? I have no finger nails and I believe thats my problem. For now I'm using a spudger.

Also what apps have you guys installed? Im really thinking about Dark Sky but I've installed 1password, the weather, bring!, twitter, and calcbot. These were the "essentials" I wanted right away.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I have to say the space black looks really sexy. I wish Apple had offered more band options for it, but I am enjoying my SS with blue LL. I think the SS looks pretty freaking nice too.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So now that I have my Space Black, how do you guys remove the band so easily from the watch? I have no finger nails and I believe thats my problem. For now I'm using a spudger.

Also what apps have you guys installed? Im really thinking about Dark Sky but I've installed 1password, the weather, bring!, twitter, and calcbot. These were the "essentials" I wanted right away.
It takes a little getting used to. My advice is to not try to take one side off at a time. Slide a little off from one side, then alternate. Keep doing that until it comes off.

Same goes for putting it on. Don't try to put one side on all the way at once. Start to put one side on a little, then alternate until each side clicks into place. It helps if you tilt it down a little, is slides a little easier.

As for apps, my most frequently used third party apps are MLB at Bat, calcbot, the weather channel, shazam, The New York Times, and as of Friday, the New York Rangers app. Too bad they lost :(

Reactions: Sikh

specialk0449

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
The best way to change the band or take it off the watch is to take the LB apart just as if your are going to remove one link permanently. Then you can remove one side at a time without torquing the band. Works best for me that way.

Reactions: Sikh and fischersd

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA

I just read in another thread that the product manual for the link bracelet recommends first separating the bracelet into two pieces at one of the links and THEN disconnecting each side from the Watch. I hope that helps.

Reactions: Sikh and fischersd

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I just read in another thread that the product manual for the link bracelet recommends first separating the bracelet into two pieces at one of the links and THEN disconnecting each side from the Watch. I hope that helps.

I remember reading this somewhere, so I did it and it worked out wonders! the only problem is since I dont have finger nails getting a spudger in there was hard. Ill have to deal cause bands get swapped after work when I go discing.

The best way to change the band or take it off the watch is to take the LB apart just as if your are going to remove one link permanently. Then you can remove one side at a time without torquing the band. Works best for me that way.

I learned this too when I seperated the bands and put them on, I noticed it was smoother as I titled it down. I can also tell how perfect and precise the band to watch is. It is a perfect fit and theres no way you can damage the band or watch if you do it right. I was extra careful and was moving at a snail pace taking it off and putting it on cause the last thing I wanna do is damage it because I was impatient. Now I need to grow finger nails :(

It takes a little getting used to. My advice is to not try to take one side off at a time. Slide a little off from one side, then alternate. Keep doing that until it comes off.

Same goes for putting it on. Don't try to put one side on all the way at once. Start to put one side on a little, then alternate until each side clicks into place. It helps if you tilt it down a little, is slides a little easier.

As for apps, my most frequently used third party apps are MLB at Bat, calcbot, the weather channel, shazam, The New York Times, and as of Friday, the New York Rangers app. Too bad they lost :(

The first time i removed the band I did it whole and realized it was easier. Easiest is separating band and doing it that way. I just always forget which half is the top ha.

Thanks for the app suggestions, looks like I use all of them besides shazam and the sports ones. Does shazam work that well with the mic on the apple watch? I see people complaining about "hey siri" but so far thats ALL ive been using to interact with the watch and its been perfect for me every time.

amozo

macrumors member
May 20, 2015
83ce9fa20708e389ef3a4f06812ab221.jpg

2ed37273e2d6fc6b7539bcd165cc5ebb.jpg

Just got mine!! I might switch to the 38 though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.