Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
I seem to be interested in this case and was wondering on others thoughts about this case... Do any of you have the case?

Thanks.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
The PixelSkin HD has been my fav case since the iPhone 4. I absolutely love it. Never ever had a single issue with them. I ordered my iP5 version on Friday morning, and it shipped out that afternoon. Based on shipping, I'll have it tomorrow...I'll drop by with some tidbits after I use it for a bit.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I had an issue with screen protector bubbling and I didn't like the feedback on the volume and power buttons (too stiff) on my 4. Liked everything else about this case a lot. How's the new version for the 5? Thanks!

Jburnette87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Mobile,AL
I had an issue with screen protector bubbling and I didn't like the feedback on the volume and power buttons (too stiff) on my 4. Liked everything else about this case a lot. How's the new version for the 5? Thanks!

Works great with my moshi ivisor. Power is SLIGHTLY stiff, volume buttons feel good.

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2012
The PixelSkin HD has been my fav case since the iPhone 4. I absolutely love it. Never ever had a single issue with them. I ordered my iP5 version on Friday morning, and it shipped out that afternoon. Based on shipping, I'll have it tomorrow...I'll drop by with some tidbits after I use it for a bit.

Thanks for the input and yeah be sure to give your thoughts after using it...

I'm thinking of getting the pomodoro color... Well I actually wanted red but that's the closest color they have. Is pomodoro, which once again isn't exactly red, a little girly for guys?

Smtevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
get the rocketfish case from Best Buy...it is exactly what the pixel skin hd is but not with the squares on the back.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I love love love PixelSkin HD cases. I've bought them for all our iPhones and iPads, and can't wait for my iPhone 5 case order to arrive.

jmunter

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
why? have you physically held the one for the i5? its awesome, nothing wrong with it.

I have to agree with the Rocketfish, I bought it and it is almost exactly the same as my Speck case that I had on my 4. It's definitely a good case, extremely good fit and I don't see my self replacing it soon, only if I want something a little more exciting to look at.

nickm81us

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Great case. The only reason I didn't buy one right off the bat was because BestBuy didn't have them in stock on Saturday when I went. Will likely be exchanging my current one for a PixelSkin soon.

swiftfix

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I placed my order Friday morning and it arrived today. So before I get into my impressions, hats off to Speck for awesome service.

Now as for the case... It looks and feels great. The buttons are all very responsive. The cutouts, too, are very nice.

For those of you who use screen protectors, I do not believe that this case will bubble or pull up your screen protector. I can say this because the case does not sit on top of the screen whatsoever, but rather slips around the aluminum boarder as a snap on case would.

My only gripe with the case, and it is a considerable one, is that it feels ever so slightly too big for the phone. Now I'm not worried about the phone falling out of the case, I just feel that the case has maybe half a millimeter of excess width. A very small amount, but still noticeable. For example, if you grab the cased phone with one hand as you would regularly hold it and with your other hand grip either the top or bottom corners and wiggle them back and forth, you can absolutely feel separation from the phone and the case.

I find this very disappointing because the Incipio NGP I used with my iPhone 4 felt like an extension of the phone itself. This, however, does not.

For those of you with the case, do you also notice an ever so slightly loose fit? I'm wondering if it may just be a defect with the case that I received.

scotsmith0718

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Incipio Frequency

I picked up the Incipio Frequency at an AT&T store on launch day and I really like it so far. It fits the iP5 very well.

https://www.incipio.com/cases/iphon...e-5-frequency-semi-rigid-soft-shell-case.html

I previously had the Speck Pixelskin HD on my 4s and liked it as well other than the fact that the volume buttons and power button were too stiff. Buttons are very responsive on the Incipio and it feels like it is about the same material as the Pixelskin HD was for the 4s.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
My friend has one for his 4S and I really like it.

It's also pretty well regarded as one of the best 4/4S cases around.

I'm banking on the same quality being there moving forward from last years cases so I ordered one.

If switcheasy comes out with an eclipse for the 5 I think I'll order one of those too, just so I can mix it up between that and the pixelskin hd.

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
Had one on my 4, 4s and shortly my five. Best out of every case I've tried. Feels really good in the hand, offers good protection and is real easy to remove.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I use to have it on the 4/4S. Nice case, but the thing I don't like is that it peels the corners off the screen protector.

swiftfix

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I wouldn't use a Rocketfish case if Best Buy was giving them away for free.

Hate to say it, but at this point I think I actually prefer the Rocketfish case over the Pixelskin HD. My wife picked up a Rocketfish on Friday and I opted to order the Pixelskin HD for my phone. For me, it all comes down to how well the case fits. As I mentioned a few posts back, the Pixelskin HD does not fit perfectly snug, whereas the Rocketfish does...

Where did you guys find the PixelSkin HD for iPhone 5? Are any stores carrying them right now?

Ordered mine off of the Speck website. However, for a brick and mortar reseller, I would check with Best Buy, Radioshack, or AT&T.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hate to say it, but at this point I think I actually prefer the Rocketfish case over the Pixelskin HD. My wife picked up a Rocketfish on Friday and I opted to order the Pixelskin HD for my phone. For me, it all comes down to how well the case fits. As I mentioned a few posts back, the Pixelskin HD does not fit perfectly snug, whereas the Rocketfish does...

Ordered mine off of the Speck website. However, for a brick and mortar reseller, I would check with Best Buy, Radioshack, or AT&T.

Thanks for the tip. I also have the black Rocketfish case from Best Buy. I do like it, but I miss the texture of the PixelSkin HD that I had on my 4S. I'll wait until I can try one in a local store and then make a decision.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
Got mine in graphite today.. I absolutely love it. Even more so than the previous generations. Gonna test it a bit more before I do a full review. But overall, I'm impressed. High quality, great fit, fantastic cut-outs at the bottom.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Just got mine in graphite today too. Looks great on the white phone. Will post pics later.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
This thread is useless without pics.

Waiting for some pics before I go ahead and purchase. I've had the black one on my 4 and 4S but it appears it's not available on their site, is on Amazon though. But Amazon says ships within 4-6 weeks. I don't want to wait that long. How does the graphite look with the black 5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.