Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
I wish mine had come today. I ordered it Friday morning along with a fabshell for my wife and we live in California. With others receiving theirs today I thought maybe ours would too, but nope. Guess we'll get it tomorrow.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I had one on my iPhone 4 since it first came out and it held up pretty well. After 6 months or so it started to stretch I guess you can say and there was a big gap at the top of the case. I think they are great.

slacka

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Ordered the black one from Speck website on Friday morning, it shipped at 10am on the same day and I just received it today.

I got some problems with my case, the edges on the back are quite pointed/sharp and it isn't comfortable for me to hold the phone in my hand at all. The iPhone 4/4s one has a much rounder edges on the back and it feels softer too.

So I decided to do an online chat with Speck rep and she told me the edges on the back are not supposed to be sharp. She's sending me a replacement case now and I will send my the one I got. Hopefully the replacement one is much more like the 4/4s one I am using.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Interesting that the "lip"of the case doesn't cover as much bezel as the iPhone 4 version

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348578712.969511.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348578725.259648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348578741.475262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348578751.441436.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348578762.191321.jpg

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
hey man thanks for taking the pics it looks awesome. Loved my spec pixelskin hd for the iphone 4. Thinking about getting the iphone 5 version but im a little worried that putting the phone into the case and taking it out will scratch the black on the antenna of my iphone 5. Have you had this issue?

It used to be quite hard getting the iphone 4 out of the pixelhd skin.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
hey man thanks for taking the pics it looks awesome. Loved my spec pixelskin hd for the iphone 4. Thinking about getting the iphone 5 version but im a little worried that putting the phone into the case and taking it out will scratch the black on the antenna of my iphone 5. Have you had this issue?

It used to be quite hard getting the iphone 4 out of the pixelhd skin.

I never had that problem with my iPhone 4 case - I took it off several times a week to slip the phone in an armband for the gym. You might have the older version that was much stiffer.

I just got the cases yesterday, and havent taken them off yet...but if a plastic/rubber case can scratch the back, then Apple has bigger issues.

Another thing I noticed is that the camera/flash cutout is a lot smaller than the iPhone 4/4S cases. Haven't noticed any flash issues with the few pics I've taken so far, but I though the larger cutout was mandatory.

muteki99

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I got mine yesterday for the 5, and I had one for the 4.

This one definitely feels thinner, and has a little more "give" in it around the edges than the 4 one did. I think it has less material in it all around.

Its still a bit early but right now I am liking the old one better. This one seems a little more flimsy, and I wish it overlapped the front, instead of just nudging up against it.

Zeph79

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I picked up the Incipio Frequency at an AT&T store on launch day and I really like it so far. It fits the iP5 very well.

https://www.incipio.com/cases/iphon...e-5-frequency-semi-rigid-soft-shell-case.html

I previously had the Speck Pixelskin HD on my 4s and liked it as well other than the fact that the volume buttons and power button were too stiff. Buttons are very responsive on the Incipio and it feels like it is about the same material as the Pixelskin HD was for the 4s.

Same story as me, loved the HD, and now I love the frequency even more

Sonystyle21

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I never had that problem with my iPhone 4 case - I took it off several times a week to slip the phone in an armband for the gym. You might have the older version that was much stiffer.

I just got the cases yesterday, and havent taken them off yet...but if a plastic/rubber case can scratch the back, then Apple has bigger issues.

Another thing I noticed is that the camera/flash cutout is a lot smaller than the iPhone 4/4S cases. Haven't noticed any flash issues with the few pics I've taken so far, but I though the larger cutout was mandatory.

Hi Ericg301,

thanks for posting pics. Could you post some more pictures of the red version on the black iphone. I am thinking about that color option. thanks in advance!

swiftfix

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I posted my review on the Speck website and other customers seem to be agreeing with me in that their cases fit a little loose as well.

I've decided to return my case as I feel the problem is with the product's design rather than having received a defective case. :(

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Minor gripe: If they would make the silent/ringer switch opening a bit smaller/centered and fix the loose issues... this would be my to-go case.

I'm usually a black case guy but the red looks amazing... co-sign more pics, please!

Nero182

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
I posted my review on the Speck website and other customers seem to be agreeing with me in that their cases fit a little loose as well.

I've decided to return my case as I feel the problem is with the product's design rather than having received a defective case. :(

Yeah I also posted a review on the Speck website also reporting the case feeling loose problem! Which is really disappointing because I loved the Pixelskin HD cases on the iPhone 4 and 4S :(. I will hang on to the case for the mean time but I will most likely change it at some stage down the road.

I also asked on the live chat and they said that they are looking into the problem but according to the agent it doesn't seem to be a wide-spread problem.

Joe24

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I received my pixel hd case yesterday as well. Earlier today I spoke with an individual for Speck on live chat. They seemed to be unaware of the poor fit of the case or at least pretended to be unaware of the issue. They sent me a separate email asking for me to send in photos of the "loose" case. I don't know how much that will help but I plan to send some in shortly.

I will likely hold on to the pixel hd in the meantime, but what are some other recommended cases similar in style/design? I have seen the rocketfish soft shell and the incipio frequency previously mentioned. Which would you recommend? Are there any others?

Very disappointed with the speck pixel hd case. I thought they did a tremendous job with the iPhone 4 case.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I'll post some pics of the red case tonight — it's on my wife's phone.

As far as the "looseness" factor...I'm not experiencing that at all on my graphite or red cases. They fit just right. So maybe it is isolated.

The only thing that makes me slightly nervous is that, as someone else already said, the case doesn't completely cover the edge..it just sits right against it. All the corners are still protected, but it's less coverage than I'm used to with the iPhone 4 version. But on the plus side, this should mean that the case won't interfere with screen protectors (if you're into the sort of thing). I gave up on them on my iPhone 4 because the corners of the case always got caught on the film.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
Hmm, so there is no actual front lip that slightly goes over the glass now? Seems like a step backwards in design compared to the 4. Guess ill have to see how I like it once it comes in. If it doesn't provide enough protecting for the screen, I may go with the incipio frequency.

Still waiting on mine. Ordered Friday morning but my USPS tracking number says it didn't even ship (from Oklahoma) till today. Rather aggravating considering I live 2 hours from Speck and others were getting cases by Monday.

paulink

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
This whole lip business is bothering me, loved the pixel skins (not hd) on my ipod touches.

Looking to get a pixel skin(not hd) for my 5. I think it has better grip.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I could see if the fit wasn't perfect...that it might cause some issues with this case. Mine fits perfectly fine, so its not loose or super easy to remove from the iPhone so I'm not particularly worried about it. Enjoying mine quite a bit!

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Just got mine in the mail. It's OK. I absolutely loved this case for my iPhone 4 but the fit on this one isn't as good. Like someone else mentioned, the case is a tiny bit loose.

Still prefer this case over the Candyshell, but I've also ordered an Incipio Frequency and I suspect that's going to be the one I decide to use permanently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.