Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Just an FYI, Sprint Tri-band is 800MHz, 2.5GHz and 1900 MHz.

Spark markets have all three freqs up and running I believe, so coverage and indoor service should be solid, as well as being far from a tower. In those markets 3G service should get dramatically better as well.

Still, I prefer GSM, and HSPA+ and won't be considering Sprint or Verizon even if they had 100mb download speeds. I had Sprint for about 11 years so I know their service and company well, and I just prefer AT&T.

I changed over in 2012.

Apparently, I'm in a Spark city and I can't tell a difference. Not sure if a regular iPhone 5 can take advantage of Spark as I know very little about it.

LTE is like 97% complete here as well. The problem with Sprint is that LTE coverage in general is lacking big time. I'm all over the city and there are so many gaps in LTE coverage that I feel it's more marketing than substance. I been with Sprint 10+ years always hoping for next year that things will get better. I'm done and hopping off when iPhone 6 drops.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apparently, I'm in a Spark city and I can't tell a difference. Not sure if a regular iPhone 5 can take advantage of Spark as I know very little about it.

LTE is like 97% complete here as well. The problem with Sprint is that LTE coverage in general is lacking big time. I'm all over the city and there are so many gaps in LTE coverage that I feel it's more marketing than substance. I been with Sprint 10+ years always hoping for next year that things will get better. I'm done and hopping off when iPhone 6 drops.
The iPhone 5 is not triband and neither is the 5s. So, neither phone can take advantage of Spark.

However, they can both take advantage of 800mhz voice.

The iPhone 6 I would expect to be triband.

I hear you on Sprint. I've gone back to being on WiFi when indoors. Sprint seems to hate Phoenix so they are very slow on getting LTE signal stronger. Most times I can only pick up two bars at the most. I know that's because the backhaul vendors out here (looking at you Centurylink) are taking their GD time and it appears Sprint did not build in incentives or penalties to the contract. But come on! It's been a year and three months now!

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
The iPhone 5 is not triband and neither is the 5s. So, neither phone can take advantage of Spark.

However, they can both take advantage of 800mhz voice.

The iPhone 6 I would expect to be triband.

I hear you on Sprint. I've gone back to being on WiFi when indoors. Sprint seems to hate Phoenix so they are very slow on getting LTE signal stronger. Most times I can only pick up two bars at the most. I know that's because the backhaul vendors out here (looking at you Centurylink) are taking their GD time and it appears Sprint did not build in incentives or penalties to the contract. But come on! It's been a year and three months now!

If you do look to jump ship, try out the different carriers phones during the 14 day return window. Gives you a chance to test drive it and find out what works best for you. I've settled on AT&T myself after trying them out for like 10 days before returning the 5s.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've settled on AT&T myself after trying them out for like 10 days before returning the 5s.
Well, we'll be out of contract (or I will) by September. Not really looking to leave, but if anything better shows up I might. We'll see. There are options here, but as it ages and things get ridiculous price and restrictions wise with the other three carriers my Everything Data 1500 plan is looking better and better - to me at least.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

The iPhone is not Spark capable.

I jumped ship for the 4S. I wanted an iPhone, but Sprint was 3G only, and Sprint 3G is sub 56K, so I moved to AT&T for HSPA+ which raped Sprint's Wimax backwards and forwards.

I have no complaints about AT&T. I had plenty about Sprint, but I was also a customer for about 11 years.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
I had sprint for a little bit and it seems they don't care about Denver very much. Sure the 3G is upgraded by LTE is still very lacking. Does anybody know who sprints backhaul provider is? CenturyLink or Comcast?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
The iPhone is not Spark capable.

I jumped ship for the 4S. I wanted an iPhone, but Sprint was 3G only, and Sprint 3G is sub 56K, so I moved to AT&T for HSPA+ which raped Sprint's Wimax backwards and forwards.

I have no complaints about AT&T. I had plenty about Sprint, but I was also a customer for about 11 years.

Yea, I test drove a 5s on AT&T network here and the 4G speeds (not LTE) were consistently better than Sprint's LTE speeds (whenever I could hit a LTE spot). I could settle for the 4G HSPA+ speeds all day long and be way happier than I am on Sprint.

To be honest though, super fast speed isn't the big deal for me, it's the coverage with good speeds. Whenever me and the family are out and about, if I need to use data, I want it to be available. With Sprint, it's just not there yet at least for me in my city.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yea, I test drove a 5s on AT&T network here and the 4G speeds (not LTE) were consistently better than Sprint's LTE speeds (whenever I could hit a LTE spot). I could settle for the 4G HSPA+ speeds all day long and be way happier than I am on Sprint.

To be honest though, super fast speed isn't the big deal for me, it's the coverage with good speeds. Whenever me and the family are out and about, if I need to use data, I want it to be available. With Sprint, it's just not there yet at least for me in my city.

Agreed. Give me coverage and consistent data speeds, even if it isn't the fastest, and that's all I need.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
My sprint friend actually tried to challenge me to a cellular speed test, his on 3G, mine on ATT LTE. Let's just say I smoked him bad! It was like a Ferrari versus a bicycle.

He was getting about 200kbps, I was getting 25000kbps :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I raced my friend in my 1980 Datsun 210 once. He had a 1968 Ford F-150. Let's just say I was beating him until he laughed at me and took off! :D

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Anyone have any update on what the estimated completion of NV right now and how many LTE POPs Sprint plans to have covered by year end 2014?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Anyone have any update on what the estimated completion of NV right now and how many LTE POPs Sprint plans to have covered by year end 2014?
POPs, no idea. Sprint is claiming they have the 200 million covered right now though.

NV 1.0 is supposed to be complete by mid 2014. NV 1.0 is the replacement of everything on the ~38,000 towers. Sprint is NOT including delivery and completion of backhaul and hooking it all up as part of the definition of completion.

NV 2.0 is just getting started. NV 2.0 is the addition of 800mhz and 2100mhz to the mix and software upgrades. The estimate for completion on that is late 2015 I think.

Sprint is throwing about $7-8 billion at the network this year.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
I wonder what Son plans to do if he doesn't get T-Mobile. It will take them forever to try and catch up to AT&T and Verizon otherwise.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wonder what Son plans to do if he doesn't get T-Mobile. It will take them forever to try and catch up to AT&T and Verizon otherwise.
I'm hearing that 'Plan B' is some sort of agreement with Dish whereas Sprint get's T-Mobile's subs and Dish get's T-Mobile's spectrum. That leaves the industry with "four" carriers (Dish being the fourth).

Another 'Plan B' is convincing the FCC that there is a strong market for cable television delivered over LTE. Kind of a diversionary tactic, since the competition in the CTV market is minimal. Sprint would be "competing" in that market.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
LOL! And now Iyad Tarazi is gone!

Either Son is taking care of business and cutting the dead wood or the rats are finally leaving this sinking ship!

In other news…time to execute Sprint!

My LTE speeds are ABYSMAL now. I have been on the phone with Sprint 5 times some March 7th and they tell me nothing. All they will do is give me a $50.00 bill credit... WHAT? I should be getting this for free!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 87

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
WHAT? I should be getting this for free!!!
No. You and I and every Sprint user in bad areas should be getting PAID by Sprint to take this crap!

I hear you. My speeds on LTE right now have been what 3G is supposed to be. And 3G, if it can ping at all in a speed test, barely registers!

Wish they'd hurry up and light some fires under some people. Maybe that's what Masa intends. If it is, I sure hope it works and fast!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
No. You and I and every Sprint user in bad areas should be getting PAID by Sprint to take this crap!

I hear you. My speeds on LTE right now have been what 3G is supposed to be. And 3G, if it can ping at all in a speed test, barely registers!

Wish they'd hurry up and light some fires under some people. Maybe that's what Masa intends. If it is, I sure hope it works and fast!

Idk what they are doing, but it's not fast enough.

I'll tell you this much between Sprint and there crappy LTE and with what Apple has me going through right now... I'm seriously thinking about jumping to TMobile and buying the Galaxy S5 or the new Xperia or something. Apple is being ridiculous with iPhone 5c replacements and Sprint is being crazy slow with LTE rollout

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've read that Network Vision is mostly completed now so shouldn't users be experiencing more usable 3G speeds as a result? I thought that was one of the main purposes behind it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've read that Network Vision is mostly completed now so shouldn't users be experiencing more usable 3G speeds as a result? I thought that was one of the main purposes behind it.
You'd think. Most of the tower replacement upgrades have been done. What's holding a lot of things up is the super slow movement of the backhaul vendors to deliver fiber to the towers and connect it.

Apparently Sprint didn't include any incentives or penalties into their vendor contracts. At least one vendor actively puts their least experienced crews on all of their Sprint jobs as well.

So, what's happening is, yes, the work is getting done. But since there are gaps the other towers have to pick up the slack…which means overloaded towers again. The same problem NV was designed to fix.

----------

Idk what they are doing, but it's not fast enough.

I'll tell you this much between Sprint and there crappy LTE and with what Apple has me going through right now... I'm seriously thinking about jumping to TMobile and buying the Galaxy S5 or the new Xperia or something. Apple is being ridiculous with iPhone 5c replacements and Sprint is being crazy slow with LTE rollout
I have decided that Sprint has until the end of September for me. At that point, I've given two years plus with an LTE capable phone and I will be out of contract.

I'll pay the ETF on my wife's phone and move on if I am experiencing the same issues then as I am now. We'll see. I shouldn't be paying Sprint to use my home WiFi which I pay Cox for already or my boss' WiFi which he pays CenturyLink for already!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I think it's all about where you live with Sprint. I was about to give up on them last summer, but suddenly LTE started popping up everywhere. Now with unlimited data, there's no way in hell I'd think about switching carriers.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's all about where you live with Sprint. I was about to give up on them last summer, but suddenly LTE started popping up everywhere. Now with unlimited data, there's no way in hell I'd think about switching carriers.
Yeah, I agree. That's why I've hung on as long as I have. But I need them to speed it up a bit!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
You'd think. Most of the tower replacement upgrades have been done. What's holding a lot of things up is the super slow movement of the backhaul vendors to deliver fiber to the towers and connect it.

Apparently Sprint didn't include any incentives or penalties into their vendor contracts. At least one vendor actively puts their least experienced crews on all of their Sprint jobs as well.

So, what's happening is, yes, the work is getting done. But since there are gaps the other towers have to pick up the slack…which means overloaded towers again. The same problem NV was designed to fix.

----------

I have decided that Sprint has until the end of September for me. At that point, I've given two years plus with an LTE capable phone and I will be out of contract.

I'll pay the ETF on my wife's phone and move on if I am experiencing the same issues then as I am now. We'll see. I shouldn't be paying Sprint to use my home WiFi which I pay Cox for already or my boss' WiFi which he pays CenturyLink for already!

I'll try and give them until October, but I don't know if I can. When you've stayed with them as long as you and I have it starts to get very very old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.