Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
My LTE speeds are ABYSMAL now. I have been on the phone with Sprint 5 times some March 7th and they tell me nothing. All they will do is give me a $50.00 bill credit... WHAT? I should be getting this for free!!!

Sprint iPhone 5 or 5s?

I had a sprint iPhone 5 and my speeds were horrible, I traded for a gs4 ND u saw a big improvement in speed in the exact same area. I did a speediest against my mom's iPhone 5 and ingot 6mb down compared to her 2.5mb in the exact same spot.

I at first thought sprint iPhone 5 only runs on the 850 band and it dual band like the gs4 and the Android phone which is the exact problem.

I personally feel iPhone 5 runs like **** on sprint compared to the Android phones.

I need to test a older Evo lte since that also runs on only the 850 band.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint iPhone 5 or 5s?

I had a sprint iPhone 5 and my speeds were horrible, I traded for a gs4 ND u saw a big improvement in speed in the exact same area. I did a speediest against my mom's iPhone 5 and ingot 6mb down compared to her 2.5mb in the exact same spot.

I at first thought sprint iPhone 5 only runs on the 850 band and it dual band like the gs4 and the Android phone which is the exact problem.

I personally feel iPhone 5 runs like **** on sprint compared to the Android phones.

He has a 5c.

Note. The iPhone 5 on Sprint is only capable of Band 25 for LTE. That's 1900mhz. The standard frequency Sprint has used for years. 1900mhz does not penetrate buildings very far and unlike 3G it travels less distance from the tower.

The iPhone 5 is capable of 800mhz, but only for voice. It is not a triband device and neither was the 5c or 5s. If you were not aware, part of Sprint's design for Network Vision is to integrate 800mhz, 1900mhz and 2.5Ghz. Again, other than 1900mhz the iPhone 5 can only use 800mhz for voice and it cannot use 2.5Ghz at all.

The other device you mention is probably dual band and NV had probably expanded in your area, which meant your device could utilize it and would thus be faster.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
yhy3a6y9.jpg

Out in the country area it's great....
Wish I could see speeds like this in San Antonio.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Sprint iPhone 5 or 5s?

Yes it's an iPhone 5c on Sprint and the speeds are horrid now. I have called Sprint and Apple so many times now that they actually gave me a 5s that's being shipped as I type this. With me that's a problem. I have never been a huge fan of the 5/5s form factor. However when you giving me the 5s and a $100 iTunes gift card to go with it then I guess I can hold out until September and use my upgrade on the iPhone 6

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Yes it's an iPhone 5c on Sprint and the speeds are horrid now. I have called Sprint and Apple so many times now that they actually gave me a 5s that's being shipped as I type this. With me that's a problem. I have never been a huge fan of the 5/5s form factor. However when you giving me the 5s and a $100 iTunes gift card to go with it then I guess I can hold out until September and use my upgrade on the iPhone 6

Ill take that 5c off your hands if you like. :)

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX

Well dang!

I'm having issues connecting to WiFi on my 5C right now and I'm getting close to going over my data cap, and that's 10GB a month. My iPad and other devices are having no problems connecting to WiFi, and I've restored my iPhone as well. It's a hardware issue for sure, maybe it's time to call Apple and get myself upgraded.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Well dang!

I'm having issues connecting to WiFi on my 5C right now and I'm getting close to going over my data cap, and that's 10GB a month. My iPad and other devices are having no problems connecting to WiFi, and I've restored my iPhone as well. It's a hardware issue for sure, maybe it's time to call Apple and get myself upgraded.

This is my 6th iPhone 5c. Not my 2nd. It took me a whole lot of haggling for this to happen and it most definitely wasn't going to happen on my 2nd one.

kiddk1

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Haha so glad I left sprint
Here is a comparison of my sprint iphone to my now verizon iphone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 78

flxglr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
I’ve been keeping up with this thread for a while and decided to chime in with my experiences with Sprint. I was a Sprint customer from 2010-2012, but left in November of 2012 to join a family plan on Tmobile which worked out to be a better deal for me.

I’ve been test driving the network for the past week to see if Sprint has improved any since I left and the results have been mixed. While it definitely has shown signs of progression, there still seems to be room for improvement. I average around 3.3 megs down and 1.6 megs up. Ping times were consistently low which was definitely a good thing. I did manage to get some nice peak speeds, but these speeds were only obtained during early morning hours. I went to the same locations later on in the day and the speeds had dropped to 2-4 megs. I think its also worth noting that I have access to the sponsor maps on the S4gru site, so I did the majority of these tests as close as possible to the towers that I knew were upgraded. Even so, you’ll see that they still leave much to be desired.

I also noticed that I would drop down to 3g quite a bit. It seems like during the day the towers would get “crowded”, because I noticed that later on in the evening and late at night LTE would reappear in those same locations. I would say that I would see LTE about 65% of the time and 3g the other 35%.

I live in San Antonio and according to the info on s4gru my market is 96-96% complete. Spark is also launched in my city, however my device was not capable so unfortunately I did not get to test that.

Seeing that LTE launched here almost 2 years ago, I’m a little disappointed to say the least. Considering the fact that most (if not all) of the sites in my area should be upgraded, I would have expected more consistency at least in regards to maintaining a constant LTE signal. Speeds did manage to stay consistent for the most part, fast in the early morning and would slow considerably as the day progressed. Ping times were very consistent. I think with the addition of Spark the service will improve as a whole, but I feel for the customers who don’t have access to a Spark capable device.

I really would like to see Sprint do well, I believe that competition is good for everyone. I’m interested to see how they improve in the coming months. I know they’ve had some trouble with Network Vision deployment, but hopefully they’ll be able to shake those demons soon.

I attached a few of the results from my testing. Keep in mind that most if not all were done as close to the towers as possible. I wouldn’t bother testing if I had anything less than 4 “dots” of signal. I also attached the results that I got from my tmobile line in the same exact spot and time. The tests were done with an iphone 5c and an iphone 5 respectively.

Attachments

• SprintSpeedtests.jpg
    SprintSpeedtests.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 90
  • TmobileSpeedtests.jpg
    TmobileSpeedtests.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 102

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I’ve been keeping up with this thread for a while and decided to chime in with my experiences with Sprint. I was a Sprint customer from 2010-2012, but left in November of 2012 to join a family plan on Tmobile which worked out to be a better deal for me.

I’ve been test driving the network for the past week to see if Sprint has improved any since I left and the results have been mixed. While it definitely has shown signs of progression, there still seems to be room for improvement. I average around 3.3 megs down and 1.6 megs up. Ping times were consistently low which was definitely a good thing. I did manage to get some nice peak speeds, but these speeds were only obtained during early morning hours. I went to the same locations later on in the day and the speeds had dropped to 2-4 megs. I think its also worth noting that I have access to the sponsor maps on the S4gru site, so I did the majority of these tests as close as possible to the towers that I knew were upgraded. Even so, you’ll see that they still leave much to be desired.

I also noticed that I would drop down to 3g quite a bit. It seems like during the day the towers would get “crowded”, because I noticed that later on in the evening and late at night LTE would reappear in those same locations. I would say that I would see LTE about 65% of the time and 3g the other 35%.

I live in San Antonio and according to the info on s4gru my market is 96-96% complete. Spark is also launched in my city, however my device was not capable so unfortunately I did not get to test that.

Seeing that LTE launched here almost 2 years ago, I’m a little disappointed to say the least. Considering the fact that most (if not all) of the sites in my area should be upgraded, I would have expected more consistency at least in regards to maintaining a constant LTE signal. Speeds did manage to stay consistent for the most part, fast in the early morning and would slow considerably as the day progressed. Ping times were very consistent. I think with the addition of Spark the service will improve as a whole, but I feel for the customers who don’t have access to a Spark capable device.

I really would like to see Sprint do well, I believe that competition is good for everyone. I’m interested to see how they improve in the coming months. I know they’ve had some trouble with Network Vision deployment, but hopefully they’ll be able to shake those demons soon.

I attached a few of the results from my testing. Keep in mind that most if not all were done as close to the towers as possible. I wouldn’t bother testing if I had anything less than 4 “dots” of signal. I also attached the results that I got from my tmobile line in the same exact spot and time. The tests were done with an iphone 5c and an iphone 5 respectively.

So I guess you were in a NV area. Were your 3G speeds any good?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, this is the problem I'm starting to have with Sprint.

First they tell you it's coming. Then they tell you it will get better. Then, after that they tell you that something even better is coming while not having what was promised finished.

It's the same old story with Sprint. They did this with Forsee and it never changed with Hesse. Promise, underdeliver and then promise something better. The people at s4gru are always on about how it will get better, Sprint is doing the work, don't whine. Whining gets you banned. But they habitually fail to recognize Sprint's standard MO.

Sprint has always operated this way and unless Masayoshi Son replaces damn near everyone, Sprint will continue to function this way. Just like the Arizona Cardinals Sprint always finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sure, it's good in a few places, but having LTE just so I can reach the 3G speeds I should have already is not for me a good return on my monthly investment.

I've given Sprint two years to get LTE together. The other two carriers had it before Sprint even got to Phoenix and T-Mobile has come, built and gone with 4G here too. Sprint is still building it!

So, again, come September, unless things have changed I will be out. Past that point I refuse to continue paying Sprint to use my own WiFi.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I've given Sprint two years to get LTE together. The other two carriers had it before Sprint even got to Phoenix and T-Mobile has come, built and gone with 4G here too. Sprint is still building it!

So, again, come September, unless things have changed I will be out. Past that point I refuse to continue paying Sprint to use my own WiFi.

How's Sprint service for you now? I remember you recently got LTE in your area. Has the coverage expanded?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah, this is the problem I'm starting to have with Sprint.

First they tell you it's coming. Then they tell you it will get better. Then, after that they tell you that something even better is coming while not having what was promised finished.

It's the same old story with Sprint. They did this with Forsee and it never changed with Hesse. Promise, underdeliver and then promise something better. The people at s4gru are always on about how it will get better, Sprint is doing the work, don't whine. Whining gets you banned. But they habitually fail to recognize Sprint's standard MO.

Sprint has always operated this way and unless Masayoshi Son replaces damn near everyone, Sprint will continue to function this way. Just like the Arizona Cardinals Sprint always finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sure, it's good in a few places, but having LTE just so I can reach the 3G speeds I should have already is not for me a good return on my monthly investment.

Sprint has been like this for years upon years! I'm surprised you haven't left them already.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How's Sprint service for you now? I remember you recently got LTE in your area. Has the coverage expanded?
The coverage has expanded considerably. s4gru.com says it's about 40% now or so. The problem is that none of that expansion seems to be in my area. As I've said on a different forum, it doesn't help me if all the expansion is in Mesa, say and not Phoenix.

That said, the signal is slowly getting stronger where I live and work so maybe by the end of the year it will be half way decent.

The holdup, as always, is backhaul. Lots of sites done. No backhaul to hook it up to.

----------

Sprint has been like this for years upon years! I'm surprised you haven't left them already.
Well, it's only late 2012 that I started having problems. Or I should say problems that I started having issues with.

Up until September of 2012 I didn't have an LTE device and my use of 3G data was minimal on my old phone. Also, I had long ago learned how to limit my dealings with Sprint customer service. So…it wasn't until I was actually paying for LTE and not getting it that I started to have issues with Sprint. Now that I am paying for it and getting speeds that are equivalent to the 3G I was paying for I do have a problem. I will finish out my contract and then jump ship if Sprint isn't up to par in September.

Sprint seems to hate the Phoenix market for some reason anyway.

tvotony

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Sprint is pathetic

If they don't improve by the time the 6 comes out I'm jumping ship

du5ebyse.jpg

flxglr

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
So I guess you were in a NV area. Were your 3G speeds any good?

Yeah I'm in a NV area. According to S4gru my market is 97% complete (whatever that means though). 3G was hit and miss...mostly misses. Under optimal conditions, I was able to gets speeds of .30 down and .30 up with ping times of 130 ms. Which is a definite improvement from before. The problem was, usually the speedtest would time out or fail to register at all. The few speedtests that I was able to complete on 3G, the pings were usually over 1000ms, sometimes even in the 3000s... So yeah, not pretty. Most of the time it would fail to register anything at all on the downloads and about .5 on the uploads.

Im fairly certain that a lack of backhaul is not the problem in my market. As I mentioned before, I was able to get consistent speeds of 15-20 megs down while on LTE in the early morning hours. However by midday those speeds plummeted to 2-4 megs down, although ping times were consistently low no matter the time of day. But again, I always found myself dropping down to 3g, which may be due to the relatively small 5x5 channel that Sprint runs on Band 25.

Yeah, this is the problem I'm starting to have with Sprint....So, again, come September, unless things have changed I will be out. Past that point I refuse to continue paying Sprint to use my own WiFi.

Ironically I didn't really have a problem with Sprint until after I moved to Tmobile. At the time I switched because I felt that I could get similar or better service for way less $. I didn't realize how slow the speeds were until I got used to using the HSPA+ on Tmobile. I actually just ended up selling my (then) iphone 4 to cover the cost of my ETF on Sprint. It was totally worth it imo. I'd suggest you do the same because it seems as if there's no shortage of "switch and save" promotions from any given carrier at the moment. Wherever you end up going, its not like you'll be able to use your Sprint phone anyway ;)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah I'm in a NV area. According to S4gru my market is 97% complete (whatever that means though). 3G was hit and miss...mostly misses. Under optimal conditions, I was able to gets speeds of .30 down and .30 up with ping times of 130 ms. Which is a definite improvement from before. The problem was, usually the speedtest would time out or fail to register at all. The few speedtests that I was able to complete on 3G, the pings were usually over 1000ms, sometimes even in the 3000s... So yeah, not pretty. Most of the time it would fail to register anything at all on the downloads and about .5 on the uploads.

Im fairly certain that a lack of backhaul is not the problem in my market. As I mentioned before, I was able to get consistent speeds of 15-20 megs down while on LTE in the early morning hours. However by midday those speeds plummeted to 2-4 megs down, although ping times were consistently low no matter the time of day. But again, I always found myself dropping down to 3g, which may be due to the relatively small 5x5 channel that Sprint runs on Band 25.

That's pretty disappointing. Not sure why Sprint can't seem to do anything properly. :confused:

People like to give T-Mobile a lot of crap, but I think Sprint is more deserving of it. At least T-Mobile works well where they have service. Sprint seems to suck pretty much everywhere they have service, even if they cover more area. I know in my market, if you step into a building you'll hit the Extended network. And I'm in a pretty big market for Sprint (we "have" Spark too). Not sure how good/bad it works though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd suggest you do the same because it seems as if there's no shortage of "switch and save" promotions from any given carrier at the moment. Wherever you end up going, its not like you'll be able to use your Sprint phone anyway ;)
Yeah, here's the thing though. We (my wife and I) have been very fortunate to not have experienced any of the dropped calls, failed text message, no service issues that were/are common in areas where Sprint is upgrading.

We have unlimited data, but the main use for our phones is actually calls and texting. Both of which operate on 1xRTT and not 3G or LTE. Consequently, in that regard, our phones have been rock solid. Sprint has had presence in Phoenix since before we moved here so all of that old infrastructure is still there.

What is FRUSTRATING me is my inability to use data when I need/want to. I don't use it much but it ticks me off when I want to drive to work and listen to SOMA FM or Google Music and Sprint can't keep up! I don't need 100mbps up or down to do that. All I'm asking for is 3mbps or so, but Sprint can't even deliver .5mbps or so. It's annoying. I'm not a heavy data user, even though I pay monthly for 2GB of tethering, and I don't stream music all the time.

The worst part is when handing off from LTE to 3G. Sprint can't ever seem to get that right either and it makes it a real dangerous PITA when you're driving and the music stops because the app just quit on you because the damn signal dropped.

So, we'll see. Sprint's got it's last few months to work this out.

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Just to pile on in here, Sprint has had a few LTE towers live in SF but the vast majority have a strange problem where there's no internet connectivity despite it clearly being connected to LTE.

This has been the case for these towers for at least 6 months now.

I should have waited the extra month to jump ship and go to T-mobile.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My sister has a great plan on Sprint and is off contract - I have been trying to get her on another carrier and her iPhone 4S just died so she is in need of a new phone,

She wants a 5s but it sounds like on Sprint in the Bay Area market it is still a LTE gamble - hopefully I can find her a better carrier deal

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
He has a 5c.

Note. The iPhone 5 on Sprint is only capable of Band 25 for LTE. That's 1900mhz. The standard frequency Sprint has used for years. 1900mhz does not penetrate buildings very far and unlike 3G it travels less distance from the tower.

The iPhone 5 is capable of 800mhz, but only for voice. It is not a triband device and neither was the 5c or 5s. If you were not aware, part of Sprint's design for Network Vision is to integrate 800mhz, 1900mhz and 2.5Ghz. Again, other than 1900mhz the iPhone 5 can only use 800mhz for voice and it cannot use 2.5Ghz at all.

The other device you mention is probably dual band and NV had probably expanded in your area, which meant your device could utilize it and would thus be faster.

So is the 5c and 5s the same bands as the gs4? I found a 5s for cheap and I'm considering buying it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Four tower climbers working on Sprint cell towers died during 2013. The following article notes that Sprint is in a hurry and that 2013 was the busiest year in the cell tower climbing industry.

One guy (Sprint) fell off a water tower that had a Sprint cell site on the top of it. Be interesting to compare the accident rate before NV to now. The hard part is that some people are dying for a Sprint network that's still unusable in a lot of places!

http://www.propublica.org/article/feds-to-look-harder-at-cell-carriers-when-tower-climbers-die

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.