Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Lots of speculation, which is what these boards are for I guess. I'm more curious about the reality of AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint in specific locations.

I'm in San Diego, with a 45 minute commute, and AT&T phone service is the worst thing I have ever experienced. Any Sprint customers in San Diego with great phone service? I would leave AT&T in a heartbeat if Sprint proves to have better call service with unlimited data.

You know a board where people don't speculate? haha...

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
$99.99?

Nope, still not gonna bite. One of you "big players" can get in touch with me with you're offering unlimited data and 300 minutes of voice for $25* a month, like I'm getting through Virgin Mobile**.

* $35 a month for new signups after a summer price bump, but still an astounding deal for light talkers like me.

** They don't have an iPhone in the States, just in Canada, so I'm stuck with an Android smartphone. Still, tethering works just fine :D

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
No one is disputing that android has higher marketshare. Not sure why you think that's what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is on Sprint (only sprint) iphone is going to outsell all their android devices (probably combined). On at&t, iphone outsells all their android devices...on verizon they outsell all their android devices. there is zero reason to think that android is not going to be outsold by the iphone on sprint.

meaning iphones marketshare will go up in the US. will it take over android? no. why? because android is available on far more carriers then iPhone in the US. It's not rocket science...

A single Android phone has overtaken the iPhone for 17 straight weeks on several European carriers. (Samsung Galaxy S2, which has only been available in the UK) I'm not necessarily saying you'll be wrong, but I wouldn't be so surprised when you are.

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
So you're basing your hate on second hand and third hand stories? Well done. As a very long Sprint customer in the past they did nothing but help me as best they could with every issue I had. They were the best by far and AT&T customer service pales in comparison.

No son let me tell you. First hand and with my family all around 2003 and with others and friends, company, until late 2010.
Sprint could ****up a cup of coffee.
When it comes to keeping **** straight and customer service that Actually knows what they are doing, its a damn "Hardy Boys Mystery" for them.

Turned off my phone after 3 days of use with the company because I had a $400.00 balance on my account. Had to go to the store where I bought the phone to get it straightened out because 1-800 sprint wanted 400 just to talk to me. Others in the family and friends had the same problems thought the years. On the 14th day of my contract I went back to the store and cancelled the whole thing. Never looked back.

But the best was the company I was working for. When they told me we were going to Sprint I about had a **** fit And I mean a fit. :mad: They had already done the deal. Oh great you dumb ***** didn't talk to us about it. It took 2 weeks and everything was ****edup. You would cross a state line and the phone would die I had reps calling me from a pay phones all over. Then what phones were working would go dead after talking to Customer service to get the others fixed. The second time was when the phones started going off and the reps would call and I would call and customer service said the accounts were locked until bills were paid.
Yeah I called accounts and told them what was happening they said they can't do anything. Give me the reps name. They give it to me and after 5 calls over 2 days not answered yeah I'm pissed.
OK so I called the man himself the owner of the company he said "fix this **** NOW"!
YES SIR.
That friday All the reps were in no work was getting done no one could get a good line. So I called the Sprint rep handling the account said I need to see him urgently about a our accounts. Took him 2 hours to get there from 1/2 mile away.
We gathered all the phones chargers and boxes Ect. and waited. Owner came buy about 5 mins before the rep showed up.
Said "I have talked to senior reps they are pissed can you fix this"
Yes if you let me do what I want.
He said "Handle it"
When he said that it was on like donkey kong.
So I tell the receptionist send them to the T&E room. :D
I had accounting cut Sprint a check for the 2 accounts for $500.00. They had apparently prepaid $1000 up front.
I have all the phones put in boxes and placed on two rolling carts and they were loaded. Rep shows up with hired muscle and they walk in with me in that room oh the look on their faces was priceless. :eek: So we sit at the big table and I say:
"We have had problems and you have been no help. I called for days and you have not called back. There are you phones and equipment. You WILL cancel the account and consider it paid in full with this check."
He said You never called me.
Yes I did repeatedly and left messages. :mad:
Then his helper jumped up and said now you need to think about this it is very important.
I told him to get his **** and get out our whats on the wall will be tested.
Rep had to step between me and him. He said " come on boy lets go".
"Thank you" I said as they started pushing the carts out the door to the front lobby.
Hired muscle was steaming all red faced about to take a dump it looked like.
What scares me is this idiot that the rep brought with him was acting the way he did in a room full of SMG's, belt feds, and actual working DD's.
WTF I mean how dumb can you get.

Oh yeah **** Sprint

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
gee, give me a plan with 900 min, 100 Texts, 1GB data at G3 speeds and calls to Europe at 5cent/min for $29.99. That would be a reasonable offer.

What's the point of this overpriced contracts for data junkies that can't shut up and who fell the need to text non stop?

We don't need more time on the phone. We need to waste less time on the phone and we need lower prices.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You sir, are severely misinformed. Android phones have a much greater marketshare in every country, including US. Also, Sprint matched Verizon for customer satisfaction in Consumer Reports 2010 survey. I'm not saying their network is as robust as Verizon's is, but it's come a LONG way in past years.

And it takes giving away the Android phones to maintain that market share.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
No son let me tell you. First hand and with my family all around 2003 and with others and friends, company, until late 2010.
Sprint could ****up a cup of coffee.
When it comes to keeping **** straight and customer service that Actually knows what they are doing, its a damn "Hardy Boys Mystery" for them.

Turned off my phone after 3 days of use with the company because I had a $400.00 balance on my account. Had to go to the store where I bought the phone to get it straightened out because 1-800 sprint wanted 400 just to talk to me. Others in the family and friends had the same problems thought the years. On the 14th day of my contract I went back to the store and cancelled the whole thing. Never looked back.

But the best was the company I was working for. When they told me we were going to Sprint I about had a **** fit And I mean a fit. :mad: They had already done the deal. Oh great you dumb ***** didn't talk to us about it. It took 2 weeks and everything was ****edup. You would cross a state line and the phone would die I had reps calling me from a pay phones all over. Then what phones were working would go dead after talking to Customer service to get the others fixed. The second time was when the phones started going off and the reps would call and I would call and customer service said the accounts were locked until bills were paid.
Yeah I called accounts and told them what was happening they said they can't do anything. Give me the reps name. They give it to me and after 5 calls over 2 days not answered yeah I'm pissed.
OK so I called the man himself the owner of the company he said "fix this **** NOW"!
YES SIR.
That friday All the reps were in no work was getting done no one could get a good line. So I called the Sprint rep handling the account said I need to see him urgently about a our accounts. Took him 2 hours to get there from 1/2 mile away.
We gathered all the phones chargers and boxes Ect. and waited. Owner came buy about 5 mins before the rep showed up.
Said "I have talked to senior reps they are pissed can you fix this"
Yes if you let me do what I want.
He said "Handle it"
When he said that it was on like donkey kong.
So I tell the receptionist send them to the T&E room. :D
I had accounting cut Sprint a check for the 2 accounts for $500.00. They had apparently prepaid $1000 up front.
I have all the phones put in boxes and placed on two rolling carts and they were loaded. Rep shows up with hired muscle and they walk in with me in that room oh the look on their faces was priceless. :eek: So we sit at the big table and I say:
"We have had problems and you have been no help. I called for days and you have not called back. There are you phones and equipment. You WILL cancel the account and consider it paid in full with this check."
He said You never called me.
Yes I did repeatedly and left messages. :mad:
Then his helper jumped up and said now you need to think about this it is very important.
I told him to get his **** and get out our whats on the wall will be tested.
Rep had to step between me and him. He said " come on boy lets go".
"Thank you" I said as they started pushing the carts out the door to the front lobby.
Hired muscle was steaming all red faced about to take a dump it looked like.
What scares me is this idiot that the rep brought with him was acting the way he did in a room full of SMG's, belt feds, and actual working DD's.
WTF I mean how dumb can you get.

Oh yeah **** Sprint

What???

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
A single Android phone has overtaken the iPhone for 17 straight weeks on several European carriers. (Samsung Galaxy S2, which has only been available in the UK) I'm not necessarily saying you'll be wrong, but I wouldn't be so surprised when you are.

Are we talking combined numbers across the several european carriers or per carrier? I'm asking only because I don't know, not to be difficult. If it's across several european carriers then its the same scenario as the US, more availability equals greater marketshare.

If it's per carrier then yes I'd agree that I shouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Carpe Discus

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
San Diego
Lots of speculation, which is what these boards are for I guess. I'm more curious about the reality of AT&T vs. Verizon vs. Sprint in specific locations.

I'm in San Diego, with a 45 minute commute, and AT&T phone service is the worst thing I have ever experienced. Any Sprint customers in San Diego with great phone service? I would leave AT&T in a heartbeat if Sprint proves to have better call service with unlimited data.

I don't know if it matters, since my latest experience with Sprint was 5 years ago, but at the time I left Sprint to go to Verizon because of the poor coverage. It was definitely better. I eventually switched to AT&T for the iPhone a few years ago.

I'm trying to figure out, myself, if there will be enough of an improvement in the iPhone 5 hardware (coming from a 3g) to help get a signal in our house. If not, and if Verizon's just better in SD, then I'll switch back.

I had been waiting for the Verizon iPhone, then I figured I'd wait for the next iPhone "just around the corner". That was a while ago. I'm in line on launch day no matter which carrier; the 3g is dog slow and one of ours stopped working on wifi.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I happened to be with Sprint and every time I have an issue whether it's my phone or my bill, they've always be GREAT at getting me through. If they can't, they would forward me to another person WITHOUT making me wait on the "transfer" music. They stayed with me to make sure I'm connected to the other person before they leave... that's GREAT service!

DO NOT bash a company unless you personally have experience with them recently.

I would go ATT before I went Sprint.

Those of you who want to go Sprint Go ahead I warned you.

Sprint has the worst customer service ever. Did Then Does Now. Horror stories I have heard of late show me they haven't changed 8 years. Never will.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Are we talking combined numbers across the several european carriers or per carrier? I'm asking only because I don't know, not to be difficult. If it's across several european carriers then its the same scenario as the US, more availability equals greater marketshare.

If it's per carrier then yes I'd agree that I shouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Most of the reports claiming the S2 outsold the iPhone4 were based on a combination of o2, T-Mobile, and Vodafone. To my knowledge, all three carriers offer both phones.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
For those of you that don't know this. Even though CDMA 3G can't handle voice and data simultaneously, LTE and Wimax can do both voice and data at the same time.

So if you have 4G in your area, and the phone has LTE or Wimax, voice and data works fine together. I am on the Sprint network and have an HTC EVO 3D with 4G, and have 4G on right now, and I just talked to my wife on the phone while searching the net. My wife wants to trade up from her EPIC 4G to the new Sprint iPhone. If the iPhone 5 comes with Wimax, then yes, you will be able to voice and data at the same time, as long is you have 4G where you live or travel.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Most of the reports claiming the S2 outsold the iPhone4 were based on a combination of o2, T-Mobile, and Vodafone. To my knowledge, all three carriers offer both phones.

Ah ok, interesting. Didn't know that, thanks. Will be interesting to watch what happens when the S2 drops state-side. We may finally have our iPhone killer haha...but then again the iPhone5 is around the corner.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I'm on Sprint and I have the unlimited mobile to ANY mobile, unlimited data, unlimited text plan. I pay $70/month ($69.95) after tax because I have 25% discount through my employer.

So how cheap can you get a smart phone with data for on Sprint?

The only thing holding me back from getting a smart phone is the monthly bill. I can't justify $100 a month, I don't need unlimited voice AND data. My current phone has a $10 data plan and I get email, google maps, web browsing with opera mini, and that's all I really need these days.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
gee, give me a plan with 900 min, 100 Texts, 1GB data at G3 speeds and calls to Europe at 5cent/min for $29.99. That would be a reasonable offer.

You hit the nail on the head here. AT&T Offers something like that... for $75.

I have hope that Sprint will offer its unlimited for $79.99, plus add additional capped plans that are much more affordable than Verizon or AT&T

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Ah ok, interesting. Didn't know that, thanks. Will be interesting to watch what happens when the S2 drops state-side. We may finally have our iPhone killer haha...but then again the iPhone5 is around the corner.

Thinking about it though, the S2 has only been out for several months whereas the iPhone 4 has been out for over a year. The iPhone 5 may (and likely will) spin the tables the opposite direction. Either way, Android (specifically Samsung versions - in my mind) are definitely climbing the charts. Probably explains why Apple has been so patent lawsuit heavy against Samsung lately.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sprint says "we have Unlimited data" a month later they bust a verizon move..:rolleyes: not going to last long I bet. let's see what happens:D

Title of this should be.(sprint to launch iPhone 5 unlimited data then next month gone) :D

Sprint has had unlimited everything for a pretty long time, that is how they differentiate themselves.

----------

You hit the nail on the head here. AT&T Offers something like that... for $75.

I have hope that Sprint will offer its unlimited for $79.99, plus add additional capped plans that are much more affordable than Verizon or AT&T

One of the best things about Sprint's plans are calls to any mobile device are not charges against your usage. I went from an AT&T 2000 minute plan where I was charged with using almost every minute every month. To a 450 minute plan where I was hitting maybe 250 charged minutes. I had more total usage on Sprint because I didn't think about calling someone like I had with AT&T.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
For those of you that don't know this. Even though CDMA 3G can't handle voice and data simultaneously, LTE and Wimax can do both voice and data at the same time.

So if you have 4G in your area, and the phone has LTE or Wimax, voice and data works fine together. I am on the Sprint network and have an HTC EVO 3D with 4G, and have 4G on right now, and I just talked to my wife on the phone while searching the net. My wife wants to trade up from her EPIC 4G to the new Sprint iPhone. If the iPhone 5 comes with Wimax, then yes, you will be able to voice and data at the same time, as long is you have 4G where you live or travel.

I had an EVO and 4G is very spotty at best.... even in Atlanta where Clear has pretty good coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.