Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Hi,

I just noticed that at night, when I have my iPhone 14 Pro on Standby Mode, the display turns off after 10-15 seconds. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn't Standby mode always show the display?

During the day, I have noticed that Standby Mode doesn't turn off the display or it takes much longer for the display to turn off.

I have ensured that the following settings are enabled:
  • Auto-Lock: set to 30 seconds
  • Always-on Display: set to "On"
1695278118893.jpeg

• Focus Mode: set to "Sleep"
1695278202505.jpeg

• Standby settings:
    • Standby: set to "On"
    • Always On: set to "On"
    • Night Mode:
      • Night mode: set to "On"
      • Motion to wake: set to "on"
    • Show Notifications: set to "On"
    • Show Preview on Tap Only: set to "off"
1695278332879.jpeg

1695278373694.jpeg

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
its the bedtime focus

AOD turns off because of it

turn off bedtime focus and AOD will be on

I turned off sleep focus and AOD and standby stayed on all night. The drawback is my sleep data doesn’t work when my sleep focus is off. I have to choose one or the other.

Sperlsco

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
I can explain why this is undesirable. I want Standby to serve as a bedside clock specifically when I am in bed and using sleep mode. If I wake up in the middle of the night I want to be able to glance over at the clock to see the time without the disruption of having to wave my hand to wake the display. The additional waving is a disruption that interrupts my ability to go back to sleep more so than just opening my eyes and glancing at an already-on display.

I can already do this with a third party clock app, though the phone is not locked and will not do automatic nighttime iCloud backups. It sounds like Apple can easily code this as an option.

oRBIT2002

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Gothenburg/Sweden
I can explain why this is undesirable. I want Standby to serve as a bedside clock specifically when I am in bed and using sleep mode. If I wake up in the middle of the night I want to be able to glance over at the clock to see the time without the disruption of having to wave my hand to wake the display. The additional waving is a disruption that interrupts my ability to go back to sleep more so than just opening my eyes and glancing at an already-on display.

I can already do this with a third party clock app, though the phone is not locked and will not do automatic nighttime iCloud backups. It sounds like Apple can easily code this as an option.
I completely agree here.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks!

Honesty can’t see why this is that much of an issue for anyone really.
I mean, once you’re sleeping, there’s literally no benefit to the AOD remaining on… and if all it takes is a wave of a hand in the air to make it activate again… makes sense to me.
I don't want to wave my hand. all I want to do is open one eye lid.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022

That’s exactly where I am. I don’t want to have to wake myself up more to wave my hand. Before standby I would tap my Apple Watch so it would show me the time; if standby worked as it should, I’d save the effort of moving my arms at all and just be able to glance at my phone. As it is now, my only two options of checking the time involve arm actions that will only serve to wake me up further.

• Love
Reactions: AllFish and DotCom2

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
That’s exactly where I am. I don’t want to have to wake myself up more to wave my hand. Before standby I would tap my Apple Watch so it would show me the time; if standby worked as it should, I’d save the effort of moving my arms at all and just be able to glance at my phone. As it is now, my only two options of checking the time involve arm actions that will only serve to wake me up further.
I think a couple of ios17 features are in beta and need further improvement. Those are:
-Contact posters
-Standby

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
I turned off sleep focus and AOD and standby stayed on all night. The drawback is my sleep data doesn’t work when my sleep focus is off. I have to choose one or the other.
I don’t have sleep focus setup, am not in any focus mode, am otherwise set up like the OP, and it’s still turning off the display. Does this mean that a focus mode other than sleep is required?

EDIT: I’ll answer my own question here, it turns off in 30 seconds even in DND focus.

joey561

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010

I suppose here is where individual usage cases come into play.
Personally, if it’s in the middle of the night, seeing the time upon just opening my eyes is only going to disrupt me more. Personally I’d only want to catch a glimpse of the time if I actively decided to - and if I have that frame of thought, waving my hand isn’t a tall order.

We are all different - shame that the functionality is not very useful at the moment for some people.

I’m sure that Apple can and will change this with enough feedback :)

Reactions: AllFish

DamonsiPhone

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2023
The cure for the AOD problem read this below:
(Delete the resting data)
AOD is not really Always On Display.
This has been a problem since the start of iOS16 and has not been fixed.
I too like to glance at bedside clock to see time at night.
I have tried all sorts of settings on my iPhone 14 pro iOS 16.2 for a year and now and I have found only one thing that effects it most: RESTING DATA.
I have found if you scroll down to health data in settings, data access & devices, select your iPhone then find resting data, delete all data. Then in settings turn AOD off, then back on, reboot phone twice. Leave on charge (and landscape) without unlocking with passcode after reboot for 6 hours while you sleep. Then AOD is Always On Display from then on. (Just don’t turn phone off/reboot) otherwise resting data is activated for AOD again and becomes a SOD.

Last edited:

JHinman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
I have been reading this thread because I have the same issue with my new iPhone 15 Pro. The problem seems to occur only in a dark environment with Night Mode turned on.

Yesterday support had me simply switch Standby off, then on. I draped a blanket over the phone to see if it would work. It seemed to work then, but would not work last night when I went to bed.

I found that turning off Motion to Wake and then swiping to change the clock face resulted in the display staying on for a while. At 3:30 AM the display was on, but at 5:15 AM it was off. I touched the dis-lay to turn it back on, and it worked until I took the phone off the charger at 8 AM.

Apple expects the display to stay on. I messaged Apple Support yesterday and again this morning, and was referred to phone support. Both support techs tried to get the display to stay on, and agree that the behavior I experience is not correct.

After checking settings the tech had me do a hard reset. If that does not work she will bump the issue up to Engineering.

As a side note, she checked the firmware version of my Mag-Safe charger. Although I bought it a few days ago, the firmware is way out of date.

It is hard to really test the feature during the day. I will get back to Apple tomorrow if it does not work tonight.

Reactions: vtboyarc

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
It seems to have stayed on reliably for me last night, in night mode. Still watching it to see if I can figure out a reproducible pattern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.