Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Completely normal, with sleep focus on it goes off and comes on again when it detects movement
I have found it to be intermittent at waking for motion. Sometimes I’m walking at the other end of the room and it wakes. Other times I can walk right up to it waving my hands and it stays asleep until I tap the screen.

joey561

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
How are people judging that it’s stayed on all night? By sitting watching it and not sleeping?
Personally it would wind me up if it stayed on, that’s more distracting than just moving and it coming on. Would drive my wife mad it being on all night.

Reactions: AlecEdworthy

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
How are people judging that it’s stayed on all night? By sitting watching it and not sleeping?
Personally it would wind me up if it stayed on, that’s more distracting than just moving and it coming on. Would drive my wife mad it being on all night.
You never had a clock next to your bed that was dimly lit?

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
It’s actually very dim at night with night mode turned on.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
I have similar issues in that movement never wakes the screen up (phone is in sleep focus). I can wave my hands in front of it to no avail. Good to see they are addressing this in the next rev.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
I have similar issues in that movement never wakes the screen up (phone is in sleep focus). I can wave my hands in front of it to no avail. Good to see they are addressing this in the next rev.
This might be intended behavior for Sleep mode.

My 15 Pro is in Sleep focus mode and motion does not wake the screen (need to tap screen to wake). My wife’s 15 Pro is in do not disturb (not sleep) and motion wakes the screen.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
This might be intended behavior for Sleep mode.

My 15 Pro is in Sleep focus mode and motion does not wake the screen (need to tap screen to wake). My wife’s 15 Pro is in do not disturb (not sleep) and motion wakes the screen.

My 15 Pro Max is in Sleep focus and DOES wake up with movement. Hoping 17.1 sorts it good and proper.

Reactions: StudioMacs

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
I’m having this issue, on my new iPhone 15 Pro, but I assumed the standby night mode shut off some time during the night because the phone was done charging (wireless, magsafe)?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
I looked too (iPhone 11 Pro Max) and it's not there. I have to assume it's only available for the 14/15 series then.

I wouldn't assume anything like that, although you may be correct. I mean why would it be 14 and not anything below? Only the 15 has AOD.

It's just a really crazy thing... a feature called "Standby" that is advertised to be always on, but not always on (unless you have a 15) ... then later advertised to be always on for all phones after the 17.1 update, but still not there. It's really nuts.

EDIT: According to this article, you're correct. I forgot that 14 was when AOD came out.

This whole thing is just so stupid. If AOD is required for this feature, then why is this even offered to non-AOD phones? Just to piss everyone else off? And so then why the need for the new option to "never turn off", if it never turned off on AOD phones in the first place?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/25/hands-on-with-all-the-new-features-in-ios-171

"Available for any iPhone with an always-on display — i.e., the iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPhone 15 Pro, or iPhone 15 Pro Max — you can now choose between automatically turning off, turning off after 20 seconds, or never turning off."

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
I have an iPhone 15 Pro. Tonight it's switching off as I'd like it to. What have I done differently? Nothing as far as I can tell.

A
Hi

Do you still find it erratic, I have 15pro as well and sometimes it sleeps as intended and wakes with motion, other times it stays on all night, I find taking it off the MagSafe charger and placing it back on seems to prompt it into sleeping again as I want, but its so weird.

If you find it works for you now do you mind sharing what settings you use or changed to get it working.

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.