Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
It’s still not working for me no matter which of the steps above I do. The most ridiculous thing about this is that it makes no difference if I toggle the Always On setting on or off. It is a dummy button that does nothing different either way.

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2023
Try clearing your sleep data/settings in the Health app, that seemed to have helped me in addition to DnD Mode.

JHinman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
Mine (iPhone 15 Pro)is working better, but not perfectly.

Standby works in a light room, with the bright display. When the room darkens the display turns red, as it should. The display goes blank after a brief interval. Touching the display turns it back on, and it then remains on.

I doubt that is how Apple thinks it should work.

I have Standby on, Night Mode is on, and Motion to Wake is off.

The technician had me turn off Standby, do a hard reset, and then turn Standby on again. That sequence might be important.

The first time I tried resetting I only turned the phone off, instead of holding the button until the Apple logo appeared. Doing the reset correctly probably helped.

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue. Sorry guys, but misery loves company.

Spoke with Apple via chat 2 days ago and they had me hard restart phone for this issue - no help.
Called yesterday and spoke with tech moron for 20 minutes while he tried to figure it out. I finally said thanks and hung up after he asked me if I was talking about the "main clock" on the lock screen. This was after he had already asked me if it worked in ios16 and I told him it wasn't a feature until 17. Ugh

I have tried everything that you guys have posted, and I'm with "Ihavequestions". Nothing works for me either. As soon as it gets dark and the clock turns red, it blanks out after a minute or 2 without motion activating it.

Reactions: myfoneisdank

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Still doesn’t stay on for me, still hugely disappointed in the “feature.” Absolutely ridiculous that it doesn’t stay on.

Reactions: DotCom2

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
The fact that it turns back on with motion, even from far awayl tells me it is by design, unfortunately.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Mine is being very temperamental too. The night before last (Fri into Sat) the phone turned off the display in night mode after a short period of time and woke when it detected motion. This is the behaviour I want. Last night the display stubbornly remained on all night regardless of what I tried. It's interesting that people are getting such inconsistent results with no idea why one person gets one experience compared to another getting a different one.

JHinman

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
It's interesting that people are getting such inconsistent results with no idea why one person gets one experience compared to another getting a different one.
One of the beauties of Apple iPhones and iPads is(was) that they just work. This is the first really odd experience I’ve had with them.

I’m curious if people posting here are all using iPhone 14 or if some are using iPhone 15. The thread title refers to iPhone 14, but I found it looking for help with my 15.

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Morning Update #1
After implementing "DamonsIphone" recommendation to delete the health data, etc. on page one, it finally stayed on all night.Couldn't believe it as this was the first time since the install of IOS17. Not sure why that works, but apparently it does. If I get 2 nights in a row, I will post back tomorrow.

Thanks DamonsIphone!

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
One of the beauties of Apple iPhones and iPads is(was) that they just work. This is the first really odd experience I’ve had with them.

I’m curious if people posting here are all using iPhone 14 or if some are using iPhone 15. The thread title refers to iPhone 14, but I found it looking for help with my 15.
I have an iPhone 15 Pro. Tonight it's switching off as I'd like it to. What have I done differently? Nothing as far as I can tell.

A

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Hi,

I just noticed that at night, when I have my iPhone 14 Pro on Standby Mode, the display turns off after 10-15 seconds. Is this normal behavior? Shouldn't Standby mode always show the display?

During the day, I have noticed that Standby Mode doesn't turn off the display or it takes much longer for the display to turn off.

I have ensured that the following settings are enabled:
  • Auto-Lock: set to 30 seconds
  • Always-on Display: set to "On"
View attachment 2271764

• Focus Mode: set to "Sleep"
View attachment 2271765

• Standby settings:
    • Standby: set to "On"
    • Always On: set to "On"
    • Night Mode:
      • Night mode: set to "On"
      • Motion to wake: set to "on"
    • Show Notifications: set to "On"
    • Show Preview on Tap Only: set to "off"
View attachment 2271766

View attachment 2271767
I like the AOD is off at night while stand by so the light would disturb my eyes when waking up during the night for any reasons. I think as long as this no display during
stand by does not bother you and does not cause any issues with your phone operations, it should be fine. If you are really concerned, contact Apple Support because they are the Subject Matter Expert of the product😊

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
At the end of all of this, three things come to mind:

1. It's a brand new feature, so it's not truly mature, nor is its documentation, nor is support for it.
2. The variations in peoples' experiences does suggest it has bugs.
3. I imagine we're going to see changes in the next few update cycles, as Apple made a big deal about this.
4 (of 3). Reading over the threads about this, everyone's expectations for it differ a bit.

I hope that updates will make the configuration of this feature highly configurable, from whether it shuts off at all to the color of the night mode display (or perhaps to leave the color alone and set the brightness), to more content types (I'd love to see a standby use for this in the car, where it just sits there and projects the current map with no navigation).

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Update #2. Thank to the ideas from a few on this forum, Standby is finally working the way apple says "it should", which is to stay on all night. 2 nights in a row now.

I too hope Apple makes this more easily usable and makes it work both ways for people that want it. From what I can tell thus far, the Always on Display selection has no use at this point on a iPhone 14 pro. At least not for Standby.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Update #2. Thank to the ideas from a few on this forum, Standby is finally working the way apple says "it should", which is to stay on all night. 2 nights in a row now.

I too hope Apple makes this more easily usable and makes it work both ways for people that want it. From what I can tell thus far, the Always on Display selection has no use at this point on a iPhone 14 pro. At least not for Standby.
So what did you do? Tell us!

Reactions: SukiDad

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

Mine just stayed on all night as well 2 nights in a row. The only thing I changed was turning off my "Do Not Disturb" nightly focus but that might just be a coincidence. When I first put it on Standby, the screen flashed on and off and then stayed at the clock, but only for a minute or so, and then it turned off! I tapped the screen and it came back on to Standby clock mode and stayed on all night! YAY!

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Has anyone tried to update to the 17.1 beta and see if the behavior changes? I kind of think that it turning off might be intentional, OLED can retain images that fade by no longer showing the image, and the sleep focus turning off the AoD on both the iPhone and Apple Watch makes me think they use that to mitigate this issue.

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Has anyone tried to update to the 17.1 beta and see if the behavior changes? I kind of think that it turning off might be intentional, OLED can retain images that fade by no longer showing the image, and the sleep focus turning off the AoD on both the iPhone and Apple Watch makes me think they use that to mitigate this issue.
I have the beta, still turns off. I'd be worried about burn in but there is the AOD that never turns off and no burn in. Usually there is a little pixel shift built in, at least my S20FE was like that.

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Not true, as then it wouldn't stay on all the time in daylight if it was a "burn-in" issue. Do what DamonsIphone said and it will work. I tried everything else and spoke with apple multiple times. They are clueless, but deleting the Health info and rebooting, etc. (follow the steps) worked for me.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Not true, as then it wouldn't stay on all the time in daylight if it was a "burn-in" issue. Do what DamonsIphone said and it will work. I tried everything else and spoke with apple multiple times. They are clueless, but deleting the Health info and rebooting, etc. (follow the steps) worked for me.
In daylight you’re pretty likely to pick it up and change the state of the screen occasionally. Overnight? Not so much…

Considering how hard it is to get the state to remain on that might be the actual bug.

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
In daylight you’re pretty likely to pick it up and change the state of the screen occasionally. Overnight? Not so much…

Considering how hard it is to get the state to remain on that might be the actual bug.
Could be a bug, for sure. Considering the amount of people that are having different experiences with this function. Plus, Apple techs seem to be clueless about it too. However, when you read the statement from Apple about what Standby is suppose to do, it is clear that it is SUPPOSE to stay on at night.

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/use-standby-iph878d77632/ios

AceMT

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Well, yet again inconsistent behavior. Back to off at night now with motion to activate. Didn't change anything and for 2 nights in a row it stayed on, now it's back to on in daytime, off at night. Ugh!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Coming in 17.1
6bf9b9dabf1d563801f0db72c6423ca6.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AlecEdworthy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.