Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
This is exciting news. I am 100x more anxious for the next iPhone now.

I dont remember the last time my computer crashed, froze or firefox crashed due to flash. I have a mac pro. Is it only me that thinks this whole flash debacle is greatly exaggerated?

No, I too am not plagued by crashes do to Flash (or crashes all together actually) and I'm on a MacBook Pro. I watch tons of YouTube videos and play a lot of on line games and the only problem, high CPU temps.

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Really pumped about the new iPhone.
Expectations are high, I hope I'm not disappointed.

If the world is moving to HTML5 then Steve needs to get onstage at WWDC and proclaim it and back companies supporting it.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
This will hopefully put to rest the requests for Flash on the iPhone/iPad. It's not going to happen, everyone can move on, and we can look forward to HTML5.

Yeah your right, allot of people are not going to buy the iPad (at least for surfing the net).

Maybe when it has some compelling apps in the next year or so.

But the crippled mobile internet isn't what most people want on a 10 inch screen.

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I dont remember the last time my computer crashed, froze or firefox crashed due to flash. I have a mac pro. Is it only me that thinks this whole flash debacle is greatly exaggerated?

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, Safari/firefox on my MBP would literally crash at least twice a day, and that is NO exaggeration. I was forced to install ClickToFlash just to have a relatively stable browsing experience.

I say good riddance. Why would people prefer to have one company control over 90% of the video based content on the entire internet? That much control in the hands of one company is never good, and that goes for ANYBODY. Adobe with their monopolistic control has taken their sweet time in bringing improvements to their flash plug-in. They just started having hardware decoding of h.264 and it's 2010! Standards based software is what should be encouraged, especially when it comes to something as large as the internet.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
hopefully it will finally shut up all the people that seem to think that BD compatibility will come with the new MBPs/MPs etc.. :rolleyes:

There really should be a option for Mac Book Pros, since it's not very easy to add your own internal drive.

Allot of video producers are gonna need to be able to burn Blu-rays on the go soon.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yeah your right, allot of people are not going to buy the iPad (at least for surfing the net).

But the crippled mobile internet isn't what most people want on a 10 inch screen.

better on a 10inch screen then on a 2inch screen!!! ;)

There really should be a option for Mac Book Pros, since it's not very easy to add your own internal drive.
i have found it quite easy even on my old original CD MBP.

Allot of video producers are gonna need to be able to burn Blu-rays on the go soon.
yup true. not sure what apples answer is there. toast in the mean time?

wbham

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
New Zealand
Still 11 months left of 2010, I really hope apple gives an indication of when MBPs will be updated, really need it next month (for uni) !

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008

I think some people won't buy the iPad because of that, but many will anyway. 499 was a shocker even with 16gigs or RAM. When Christmas rolls around, iPad apps, 499, it will sell a lot. I think.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Maybe it's time Apple DID enter the Search Engine wars. When Flash finally dies its inevitable slow death, internet searching will be about the only "core" function on all devices that isn't controlled by Apple. No need to re-invent the wheel, for a company with Apple's resources -- just how hard could it be?

(And BTW, try running Flash on a PPC G4 to see just how awful it really is.)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Attachments

• 400px-Trollface_HD.jpg
    400px-Trollface_HD.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 170
Honestly I don't know why people want blu-ray in their notebooks so badly

With video streaming and downloading what is the point?

I rather they just remove the optical and use the space for something else

BluRay players for your TV are getting cheap. Get one of those instead (and watch on super-huge displays). Or just download HD onto an Apple TV.
Again, you're all missing the point. Why should I have to buy another version of a movie I already have just because my computer can't play it? If I have a Blu Ray movie, and I want to take on vacation with me, I can't play it on my laptop. So I don't really have any other *legal* options other than renting on iTunes. But why would I want to pay for it again?

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
They left out the part when Jobs said Google's slogan, "Don't Be Evil" was "********".

Besides that... I want an A+ iPhone upgrade. Give me a reason to replace my 1st Gen! Don't get me wrong I'm glad my nearly 3 year old phone still cuts it, but I think I'm ready for more. I'll let my current iPhone live on with my Dad.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, Safari/firefox on my MBP would literally crash at least twice a day, and that is NO exaggeration. I was forced to install ClickToFlash just to have a relatively stable browsing experience.

I say good riddance. Why would people prefer to have one company control over 90% of the video based content on the entire internet? That much control in the hands of one company is never good, and that goes for ANYBODY. Adobe with their monopolistic control has taken their sweet time in bringing improvements to their flash plug-in. They just started having hardware decoding of h.264 and it's 2010! Standards based software is what should be encouraged, especially when it comes to something as large as the internet.

I had a lot of issues with FF and Flash as well. I also did with Chrome dev release 4.0.whatever, but the newer 5.whatever is much more stable for now. I used to get the puzzle icon and that flash crashed.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Regarding Flash: I see his point, and he's right, half the time Safari crashes it's because of a Flash plugin. Though, to be fair, I'm not sure if that's Flash's fault, or Safari's...

The refusal to adopt Flash on the iPhone and now the iPad is obviously his attempt to kill it. Remember when the iMac was the first mainstream computer to ship with NO floppy drive at all? I remember how crazy and restrictive that seemed to everyone, but it turned out to be a prophetic move (and it could well have been a self-fulfilling prophecy, as it were).

I think the keynote demo that plainly and obviously featured a broken Flash plugin was definitely intentional and not an "oops" by Steve -- these things are rehearsed so carefully, and he did it twice. The recent update of the iPad video to include the broken plugin seems like an unusual move, until you realize that Apple is sending a message. "See this, guys? We are NOT going to support this, so you guys out there had better just get used to it. Content creators, you'd better find something else or you will alienate millions of iPhone/iPad users." It's ballsy, but it will likely work -- in the interest of reaching as many of their audience as possible, website creators will start looking at other options.

Remember that when most people visit XYZ company and see the broken plugin, they're not going to think "Darned Apple, not supporting Flash plugins", they're going to think "Darned XYZ company, their website is broken." Regardless, whoever they blame for it, if the Flash object was a functional part of the website, then this customer is stuck and won't be able to browse or buy or whatever. That's going to be XYZ's loss, and they're going to want to do something about it.

As for the comment about Blu-Ray... I don't get it. Tons of people have Blu-Ray players or PS3's. They're as cheap as DVD's now. What more do you want, Steve?!

MyBrainIsSpeakn

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
Apple is getting afraid of Google, even if you stans don't want to realize it.

I love my iMac, my iPod Touch, and my iPod Nano... but its time for the "new" to step in... I'm loving my Droid, immensely. You have Apple stans, and you have Goodgle stans... you just have more Apple stans...

I like this battle, because it keeps them on their toes... but one thing is prominent... rather you like it or not... Google is taking over the world... we all know it...

The Android/Google is doing very well, especially going against the leading company in the direct mobile (product) division, that has had years of experience. Android/Google is a baby... adults get worried when kids start talking back and start showing adult level sufficiency.

I don't need a iPhone, it will be overkill for me, and boring to say the least. I want something new! I want Google to push Apple to CHANGE THEMSELVES for the better, instead of just the market... I want Apple to push Google to become an equal leading force... Apple just has more to be afraid of... why? Cus they on top in certain divisions... watch your feet Apple... Google keep climbing... both of you fight... so the fair tech guru like myself will love the outcomes!

Stans... please kiss Steve Jobs/Google, and become their porta-potty... you know you want to...

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Does anyone see why the investors booted him out of his own company the first time?

Because they were stupid?

It was internal power struggle on the board. His removal proved one of the dumbest decisions in Apple history. They were nearly gone when Steve took back over and has turned them into a $50 billion annual revenue company, with $40 billion in cash on hand.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Honestly I don't know why people want blu-ray in their notebooks so badly

With video streaming and downloading what is the point?

I rather they just remove the optical and use the space for something else

I use optical media all the time. As a graphic designer and photographer, projects and photo shoots get backed up to discs, as do clients receive a copy of the shoot for personal use. I've burned DVDs of divx compressed home movies along with pictures, which did not fit onto a single disc, which is where bluray would help. I have an incredible amount of downloaded content (tv shows, movies, etc) that belongs on bluray days, instead of taking up hard drive space on either my storage drive in my mac pro or my external which is primarily for backups. 50gb per disc to use as storage is a huge plus. Why wouldn anyone want to omit that?

The addition of watching bluray movies on my computer is another bonus, because as we all know, DVDs are eventually going to be phased out and bluray will take over completely.

I'm patiently waiting for bluray, its not a necessity for me yet, but I do see myself slapping a bluray burner into my mac eventually.

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
i don't know how much of this i can believe after watching the ipad keynote. his superlatives didn't match up with mine there. though if the iphone update is good enough, i'll buy one.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I use optical media all the time. As a graphic designer and photographer, projects and photo shoots get backed up to discs, as do clients receive a copy of the shoot for personal use. I've burned DVDs of divx compressed home movies along with pictures, which did not fit onto a single disc, which is where bluray would help. I have an incredible amount of downloaded content (tv shows, movies, etc) that belongs on bluray days, instead of taking up hard drive space on either my storage drive in my mac pro or my external which is primarily for backups. 50gb per disc to use as storage is a huge plus. Why wouldn anyone want to omit that?

we already can make backups onto BDs. its just the watching movies that is a problem - and compatibility of burning using FCP - use toast instead!

cjbriare

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yes

I agree with this totally. Apple is right about flash.

However, the fact that apple has 140,000+ apps for iphone, that is hard enough for android, etc. to keep up with. I'm sure if apple brings multi-tasking, more customizable settings, and all other complaints people are making to iPhone 4.0, or the next iphone, it will be far more popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.