Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Anyone ask him if they're going to start outputting audio through mini-DP this year?
That's the biggest problem with macs for me, I hate running 2 cables to the monitor/tv like it's 1999.

djpic

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Interesting....few comments here.

First, this HTML5 thing is true, but how long will it take to become mainstream. How many sites will have to completely redevelop their site to HTML5? There is still room for flash, and I am sorry steve, you are wrong here. Yet I also see and understand the reason why not implement it. Adobe needs to step it up, both companies are saying "we don't need them, they need us" and one just needs to fold.

I believe adobe is starting to find alternative ways around this. Take a look at this: http://cs5.org/?p=359. Being an Flash/Flex developer myself, this is an interesting concept. IF adobe is able to pull this off, then will we need flash on the iPad/iPhone? The other question is if Adobe release such a feature, what will happen if apple starts to include flash; will this feature just die? I say no....porting your flash applications over to iPhone/iPad will be a great alternative...opening up the app store even more!!

In regards to Blu-ray, come on steve, just put it in there already! It is not because we want to watch blu-ray movies, it is because we want to actually USE our HD home movies!!! You have iMovie supporting HD along with Final Cut Studio. What is the point if we can't share our Full 1080p HD movies with the our family and friends?

I am scared now....I think Jobs is going to take this touch screen thing too far. iMacs to the next level scares me. PLEASE don't include a touch screen. Touch screen needs to stay in the portable market, not the desktop one. Update the processor, memory, dual hard drives (?), bigger screen, etc. but don't make the system touch screen.

Another item I am a little iffy about is apple making their own processors, again. For the portable devices, fine, but they need to stick with Intel for their laptops and desktops.

Finally, apple is become a driving force in the technology world. Google, entering the mobile phone market, good or bad? I don't know, but your partnership with apple might not be the best one to break. Microsoft, stop making consumer products....stick with your business/corporate products. This is one avenue apple can not compete with you on without major advancements. Microsoft needs to start improving in business arena now because if apple gets the "hmmm..." then you are dead.

P.S.
With this new information, I am debating on selling my apple stock....:(

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Because they were stupid?

It was internal power struggle on the board. His removal proved one of the dumbest decisions in Apple history. They were nearly gone when Steve took back over and has turned them into a $50 billion annual revenue company, with $40 billion in cash on hand.

doesnt bill gates/microsoft own a large percentage of apples stock rendering the companys decisions somewhat limiting? somebody correct me on this, but ive had friends tell me microsoft owns a large chunk of apples stock so they cant do whatever they like.

either way though, no matter what apple is making, its peanuts compared to microsoft.

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
To play back my collection, der!

Honestly I don't know why people want blu-ray in their notebooks so badly

With video streaming and downloading what is the point?

I rather they just remove the optical and use the space for something else

The point is that I have a Blu-ray collection and it's growing every day and I want to play those on the go. I'm not going to pay iTunes to get a HEAVILY compressed "HD" version either to rent or buy when I already have it in Much better quality. I'm not saying make the Blu-ray drive standard, but gives us the option at least in the Mac Pros and iMacs. I stand by the reason they're not going with them is because they don't want them available in only half their product family since the drives still won't fit in the anorexicly thin laptops like my MBP.

If you don't want your optical drive, then this is for you: http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

-Brian

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Does anyone see why the investors booted him out of his own company the first time?
It was John Sculley and the Board of Directors that resulted in SJ leaving Apple.

And thank God they did. When Steve returned to Apple he was a new person and provided Apple the direction that it needed.

I can't wait to see what OS 4.0 has in store. For that matter, I can't wait to see what changes in 4.0 will affect the iPad. Maybe some of things people are grumbling over will be addressed.
I would venture to say that Touch OS 4.0 is up and running on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and just needs some tweaks before release this summer.

To show off Touch OS 4.0 now, would have been too early. By delaying, Apple gets a double whammy on the iPad and a push for the new iPhone.

Steve is definitely playing his cards well. :)

djpic

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Orlando, Florida
I use optical media all the time. As a graphic designer and photographer, projects and photo shoots get backed up to discs, as do clients receive a copy of the shoot for personal use. I've burned DVDs of divx compressed home movies along with pictures, which did not fit onto a single disc, which is where bluray would help. I have an incredible amount of downloaded content (tv shows, movies, etc) that belongs on bluray days, instead of taking up hard drive space on either my storage drive in my mac pro or my external which is primarily for backups. 50gb per disc to use as storage is a huge plus. Why wouldn anyone want to omit that?

The addition of watching bluray movies on my computer is another bonus, because as we all know, DVDs are eventually going to be phased out and bluray will take over completely.

I'm patiently waiting for bluray, its not a necessity for me yet, but I do see myself slapping a bluray burner into my mac eventually.

Use this to backup your information, way better than CD/DVD/BDs:
http://www.drobo.com/

Jphillippe

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
I'm dying, my student hardware purchase discount expires February 20th and I have to make a purchase before the asset is gone. I'm gonna call Apple Developer Connection monday to see if they can give me an extension because even if I hold the box without opening it before 30 days expire, I don't think they'll accept returns...This sucks balls and I want the updated Macbook Pros.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
doesnt bill gates/microsoft own a large percentage of apples stock rendering the companys decisions somewhat limiting? somebody correct me on this, but ive had friends tell me microsoft owns a large chunk of apples stock so they cant do whatever they like.

either way though, no matter what apple is making, its peanuts compared to microsoft.

LOL no!!! apple bought those back years ago! ;)

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Steve really needs to write a open letter to the old Mac base (The Creative Professionals). He needs to let us know where apple is going on that side.

With practically no real updates to apples own pro apps and pushing adobe away. Where does it leave us creative pros? Why can't we get a Blu-ray support in DVD studio pro?

If apple just want's to make boom boxes and consumer play toys that's fine.

But let us know, if they intend to keep supporting the old apple customers.

That way we can move on. :(

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
we already can make backups onto BDs. its just the watching movies that is a problem - and compatibility of burning using FCP - use toast instead!

This is true. But not being able to watch is half the reason why i dont own a bluray burner yet. The other half is the fact that not too many people own bluray themselves, and if they were to take advantage of my media as i frequently share discs, id have to make sure my family members and friends also have a bluray player.

I think bluray option can only come out for apple when its available across the board; mac mini, macbooks, imac and mac pro.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
LOL no!!! apple bought those back years ago! ;)

I need to find an article or news story on this, i need to know. Too many people are saying random things assuming their knowledge is correct and making wild statements. I knew something was off about MS having stock options in Apple.....

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Steve really needs to write a open letter to the old Mac base (The Creative Professionals). He needs to let us know where apple is going on that side.

With practically no real updates to apples own pro apps and pushing adobe away. Where does it leave us creative pros? Why can't we get a Blu-ray support in DVD studio pro?

That way we can move on. :(
this is a massive feature for me too. they would be losing many customers because of the lack of BD burning support. its one thing to have to worry about playing back the BD movies, but surely its quite easy (both programming wise and legality wise) to implement it for FCP?

This is true. But not being able to watch is half the reason why i dont own a bluray burner yet. The other half is the fact that not too many people own bluray themselves, and if they were to take advantage of my media as i frequently share discs, id have to make sure my family members and friends also have a bluray player.

I think bluray option can only come out for apple when its available across the board; mac mini, macbooks, imac and mac pro.
well tbh it sounds like you really dont need it then! if you can create the movies in BD quality but the people you distribute to cannot watch them, there really is no point in creating it to start off with.

backups are a different story though, its already possible as we all know.

I need to find an article or news story on this, i need to know. Too many people are saying random things assuming their knowledge is correct and making wild statements. I knew something was off about MS having stock options in Apple.....
hmmm ill try to have a search for you and get back to you!

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
BluRay players for your TV are getting cheap. Get one of those instead (and watch on super-huge displays). Or just download HD onto an Apple TV.

Have you looked at the file sizes of a movie that Apple offers as "HD" vs. Blu-ray's file sizes? An ATV HD file is usually about 2GB, maybe a little more, but a Blu-ray file will be upwards of 40GB. I don't care what codec you're using the quality difference IS noticeable when one file is 5% the other. Not to mention that those of us with Blu-ray players already ALSO want to watch our files on the go.

-Brian

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
I thought the same thing, but it could just be a promotional pitch to spur excitement. I'm not sure what they could really do, besides lower prices. But apple isn't really aiming at the low-priced computer market. It will be interesting to see what they do this year.

If its anything like the iPad, they'll offer DDR3 1333 and call it the best thing to hit laptops EVER!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Right on!

Jobs is right about flash. Whenever a browser crashes on my Macbook, its because of flash.

Steve was surprisingly open here. I'm surprised. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve this year.

My favorite thing about the Droids is that users always claim they are either as good, or better than an iPhone, and can't name one thing it does better.

Yup, for the past few years, Macintosh support has become a red headed stepchild for Adobe. Also, another thing Steve didn't mention is that it has been said that Adobe, like other outfits in the valley, is suffering from engineering outsourcing and very screwed up source code bases as a result.

He is right about HTML5, when you have an open standard for interactive visual web pages, it comes down to who writes the best interpreter engine instead of having proprietary binaries running on only one engine that has no competition. When there is good browser support, Flash will go the way of VisiCalc.

Still looking forward to virtual memory being a thing of the past.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Honestly I don't know why people want blu-ray in their notebooks so badly

With video streaming and downloading what is the point?

I rather they just remove the optical and use the space for something else

You know what, I'm at that point too. Why do we even need a SuperDrive? I can say that I have about 40 apps installed on my Mac.... and only 2 I have physical discs. The only thing I used it for is to rip my CDs. If I had to have an external SD for when I needed it, that would be much better. Make the machines lighter or add some other ports.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I used my drive.... there is no point. With hard drives inexpensive and people storing data in the cloud, do we even need discs for archiving? Flash, HDD, cloud... I can't wait until Apple drops the CD/DVD drive just like it did the floppy. I want all my media either downloaded or streamed. Physical media is a 20th century relic.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
... and a fix on the green button in the finder and other applications as it does NOT properly maximize windows.

Whoever said the green button was to "maximize"? Sure, it is inconsistent from application to application, but there's two basic modes -- "zoom" and "maximize", again depending on the application. There's very little point in maximizing a window if the content of that window doesn't require the full screen, hence the "zoom" mode expands the window just large enough to see the full width of the content. In some apps, holding down the option key while pressing the green button will do a maximize. However, in Mail.app, it seems that the maximize behavior is default. The idea of zoom was good. Too bad they can't get it to be consistent from app to app.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
well tbh it sounds like you really dont need it then! if you can create the movies in BD quality but the people you distribute to cannot watch them, there really is no point in creating it to start off with.

backups are a different story though, its already possible as we all know.

hmmm ill try to have a search for you and get back to you!

Yeah, backing up is the only reason why i'd want one right now, but other than that, i dont see the point in spending 200 dollars on the burner, and then like 10-20 bucks per disc. 50gb is a lot of data. I'd probably make two copies of each disc *just in case* its like putting all your eggs into one basket. To lose 50gb of stuff from a single disc would probably make me cry.

Thanks in advance about the search! :)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
To hurry this process of no physical media along, I think Apple should offer downloads of all their products, and maybe give a green discount of 10%.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

You are completely wrong here.

link
investment cannot be sold for three years and covers non-voting shares in the company.

The original story that Microsoft saved Apple is crap. Apple had 1.2 billion in cash. $150 million was negligible. The main reason was this:

link
The 1997 agreement killed the ongoing lawsuits and conflict related to Microsoft's copyright violations, patent infringement, and stolen code.

Less earnings than MS, since margins are higher on software than hardware, but not peanuts.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
"- Next iPhone coming is an A+ update"

Sorry, I dont get it? why are people hyped up about an "A+" update?
Is this an american term as I have never heard of anything being described in this way other than at college?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.