Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Many underestimate or don't understand the significant impact NeXT Step had on computing in general. It's amazing how far ahead of its time it was back then, and the modern incarnations (Mac OS X & iOS) are still the most beautiful OO GUI systems ever devised.

It was clearly no accident that Jobs was at the head of two companies that have both been so influential and had such a significant impact.

It's a bit as though Steve was really creating the future of Apple rather than a new company at NEXT, creating "the" OS of our times. Almost the same as if he had been in some back room again at Apple, working on the next great thing.

It all ended up working out and tying together so nicely indeed.

jesses

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
Went to the Apple store today. They still had flowers and post its on the wall - it was nice to see it in person. Sweet people

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I picked up a copy of People magazine over the weekend with Steve on the cover and I was trying to remember a quote that was in the article (I gave the mag away to someone else to read), that said something along the lines of "no other CEO in history has had wreaths laid out for him...".

When I went to google the quote to see if I could find the exact quote, I came across a lot of results with "no other CEO" and wanted to share and group into one post the ones I found. I figured others would also like to read them. I think these single sentences just say it all!

"Steve Jobs set a bar that no other CEO in the tech industry is anywhere near"

"No other CEO has been loved by the masses like Steve Jobs"

"And the CEO they needed was Steve Jobs! No other CEO would do."

"No other CEO has been able to generate the net income growth that Steve Jobs has. And no other CEO has been able to keep it going for quarter after quarter, year after year."

"Those Apple presentations by Steve Jobs were something no other CEO could touch."

"He also had a talent no other CEO could boast of..."

"But perhaps no other CEO has given people such personal and enthusiastic connections ..."

"Steve Jobs was truly incredible. He was, I believe, like no other CEO."

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Damn. And with that, I'm back to imagining where we would be had he done as Mr Dell suggested back in '97. Well ... most of the PCs at the university where I work are still running Windows XP, it has to be said, but that would be the WHOLE WORLD :eek: - and that's only accounting for the second Act.

Cool quotes, thanks :).

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Out of interest: do you cry like a baby because you didn't get Blu Ray, just like xbjilb?

xbjllb didn't cry like a baby either. He took his money and walked.

And he didn't look back.

Until all the ruckus.

By the way, before I left? I had Blu-ray thanks to these enterprising guys.

Steve Jobs' still exist. They see an obvious need, and fill it.

Of course, they are at the beginning of their careers; not past the end.

:apple:

burmguy

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
maybe im the only one here but he's dead..has been for a while, why keep this going? He did nothing in his life great for society but create things. Its a known fact he made no donations or gave anything to charity? mmm just odd

makeyourfaith

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
He did nothing in his life great for society but create things.
Really? have not all the great inventions or discoveries in life done something for society, all of which were created by man? Hmmm, let's think here.. Graham Bell, Newton, Da Vinci, Edison, Franklin, Ford, and the list goes on.
Let's go further to artists, after all, all they did was create things:
Picasso, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Da Vinci (again), Modigliani, Seurat, Kandinsky, Chegal, Warhol, Pollack, and the list goes on. Why don't i see "burmguy" on any of those lists?
Look around you. The society you live in is all created by your fellow humankind, all for your comfort, pleasure, entertainment, utility, purpose. All by men. Men that looked further, had vision, had character, had balls. Why are movies and doc's made about these people? I'll leave that to you to think upon.
Curb your lack of respect, burmguy.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
maybe im the only one here but he's dead..has been for a while, why keep this going? He did nothing in his life great for society but create things. Its a known fact he made no donations or gave anything to charity? mmm just odd

Well...

He's kept 46000 well paid Americans in work.
Generated $6.62 billion dollars of profit in just three months

Without wealth creation, there is no charity. Even if Steve never gave a dime of his own cash to charity (unlikely), I think that providing for 46000 families and bringing billions of dollars into the US economy is worthy of applause!!

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Well...

He's kept 46000 well paid Americans in work.
Generated $6.62 billion dollars of profit in just three months

Without wealth creation, there is no charity. Even if Steve never gave a dime of his own cash to charity (unlikely), I think that providing for 46000 families and bringing billions of dollars into the US economy is worthy of applause!!

I agree with you. I read that he supported a lot of his wires charity, including one that got Underprivligged kids in college. He just did anyonamysylly,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

That's not a known fact. If you think it is, please provide proof.

His donation record is slim at best. It's not known if he didn't give much or if he gave in private.

I think the issue is we are assuming that he did not give. The fact remains that his financial decisions were a private matter. No one can stately explicitly that he did not give money to charity, because there is no public record of such gifts. Lack of a record does not translate into not giving either.

He worked hard and was rewarded financially for such successes and handwork. Its not required that he then give away that which he attained through hard work.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Really? have not all the great inventions or discoveries in life done something for society, all of which were created by man? Hmmm, let's think here.. Graham Bell, Newton, Da Vinci, Edison, Franklin, Ford, and the list goes on.
Let's go further to artists, after all, all they did was create things:
Picasso, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Da Vinci (again), Modigliani, Seurat, Kandinsky, Chegal, Warhol, Pollack, and the list goes on. Why don't i see "burmguy" on any of those lists?
Look around you. The society you live in is all created by your fellow humankind, all for your comfort, pleasure, entertainment, utility, purpose. All by men. Men that looked further, had vision, had character, had balls. Why are movies and doc's made about these people? I'll leave that to you to think upon.
Curb your lack of respect, burmguy.

Ok, he created very little meaningful stuff, in fact I would say that most of the good 'ideas' from Apple, originated from outside the company.

Anyhow, the iPhone allows people to post to twitter and facebook....from the train...wow!

whilst simultaneously parting millions of people with far more $$ than they should.

For you to compare iCon, to some of the real geniuses you mentioned is the most disrespectful thing in the entire thread.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
His donation record is slim at best. It's not known if he didn't give much or if he gave in private.

Steve did give his time and money anonymously. There was an article that I just read that said that is how him and Bono (U2) met was through the REV(?) HIV/AIDS charity foundation work. I'm sure thats probably not the only charity that he gave to.

For someone to criticize a great man that passed away about his unproven and unsourced non-charity work is pretty low.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Steve did give his time and money anonymously. There was an article that I just read that said that is how him and Bono (U2) met was through the REV(?) HIV/AIDS charity foundation work. I'm sure thats probably not the only charity that he gave to.

For someone to criticize a great man that passed away about his unproven and unsourced non-charity work is pretty low.

Could not the same be said of a man who knew he was nearing the end of his life and still chose not to be more philanthropic??

imagine the good he could've done.

with an ego his size, anyone who thinks he donated anonymously is living in cloud cuckooland.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Thats how the world goes round. If no one parted anyone from their $$$ then money would be worthless and it'd be the Great Depression all over again. Do you want that?

Big difference between fair price and extortion.

the greatest marketeer and salesman of the 21st century...absolutely.

but nothing much more...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

It is said that the purest form of charity is anonymous. Given Steve's obvious penchant for privacy and secrecy in his personal life and business, it would make perfect sense that if he was charitable, no one would ever know.

----------

Ok, he created very little meaningful stuff...

And yet, here you are, discussing this so called meaningless stuff, in nearly 1,000 posts, for the last 3 years. Perhaps Steve's meaningless stuff isn't so meaningless to you after all.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
mcdj said "It is said that the purest form of charity is anonymous. Given Steve's obvious penchant for privacy and secrecy in his personal life and business, it would make perfect sense that if he was charitable, no one would ever know."

Exactly. It's hard to believe that Steve Jobs didn't give anonymously. He has said time after time that he doesn't care about being the richest man in the cemetery (often in reference to Bill Gates' personal wealthy).

Jobs is a man who was concerned with making great products not lots of money as the leader of Apple. Sure, he wanted Apple to make money, but it wasn't the number one concern. Not to mention, he took a $1 salary for decades meaning most of his wealth was liquid in the market.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Somehow I find this discussion concerning Steve Jobs donating money quite inappropriate. Could we just keep silent on that matter and pay our respect to him?

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
It's hard to believe that Steve Jobs didn't give anonymously.

On the contrary, a guy who wouldn't allow himself to have a house proportionate with his wealth (guilt?) could easily use that as a lifelong excuse to never give anything to anyone.

However, arguing over what cannot ever be proven is a waste of time.

:apple:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
On the contrary, a guy who wouldn't allow himself to have a house proportionate with his wealth (guilt?) could easily use that as a lifelong excuse to never give anything to anyone.

A guy with his own private Gulfstream isn't a guy who's uncomfortable about wealth.

Steve and his family have multiple properties and own (what was) Jackling House - and plan to build a new mansion on that site.

However, arguing over what cannot ever be proven is a waste of time.

True, especially if your argument is based on clearly incorrect assumptions.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Big difference between fair price and extortion.

You seriously do not understand the meaning of the word extortion. It's nice and inflammatory to throw around, but it's patently ridiculous. Unless, of course, someone is actually holding a gun to your head and making you buy products that nobody in the world has to buy.

You want one? Then pay for it. Don't want to pay for it? Then don't get one.

Ok, he created very little meaningful stuff, in fact I would say that most of the good 'ideas' from Apple, originated from outside the company.

Nobody said he invented everything personally. Not Apple, not Jobs himself. His talent was making Apple profitable and coveted. And he did that by applying great vision - ahead of the competition - existing and upcoming technology, as well as new technology created by the talented people who work for him to their products, products which, while not always the first, instigated changes in the entire industry. From a company which was almost collapsed a decade and a half ago. Name another CEO who has done similar.

Anyhow, the iPhone allows people to post to twitter and facebook....from the train...wow!

Come back when you've done anything half as impressive. I'm not on Facebook and I'm not on Twitter, and I don't care to participate in either. But considering Steve's influence directly contributed to a 3 x increase in signups on Twitter - a non-Apple company - that is nothing to be sneezed at, regardless of your participation or non-participation. Again, name another instance where anything like that has ever happened.

All that venom, and yet it seems pretty clear that you crave their products. Now try and tell me Steve Jobs wasn't a genius.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Mr. McMahon?

Maybe Vince McMahon could fill in as CEO come to think of it? Anyone that whines he could fire from Apple or even web sites. Possibly challenge them to a street fight. Oh the possibilities.

It's to lighten the mood in the thread guys, I find it a funny concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.