Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Fortune’s interviews with people about Jobs were interesting — particularly the one by the venture capitalist that mentioned Apple was weeks away from bankruptcy when Jobs first returned.

I knew they weren’t doing well in 1996, but I thought they still had a pile of cash.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wait, so now doing a job because its your passion is the same as calling someone saintly? :rolleyes:

No he doesn't do it for the money, clearly he has more than he could ever spend, he does it because he likes to try to change the world (done it 3 times already). How that translates into saintly I'll never know.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Mr. Jobs is truly one of, if not, the best CEO in the world. He lead Apple through some very difficult times in its history. He deserves this honor.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Nice one for Jobs. Lets hope he keeps up the good work into the next decade too.

ETA: That picture gallery linked in the original article is awesome. I particularly like the one of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs at Steve's house. Kudos on the Eames chair.

I liked that one too. It was like that photo defines the two companies.

RAGING DEMON

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Hmmmm

Making money and being motivated by money are two entirely different things. You offered no proof to counter his point.

maybe jobs could do a gates and donate a chunk of his billions to worthy charities.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
aaahhhh! that's great! looks like he's been up all night thinking of great ideas to steal.

(easy easy, i got respect for the man, but... honestly.)

Actually it looks like a guy knee deep in the trenches of his company while the other (work smarter, not harder) jobs is fine with delegating/demanding success.

To different styles of management.

RAGING DEMON

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
You don't, I don't, yet you still proclaim that hes a heartless bastard.....

hahaha "heartless bastard " made me laugh.

if he did give money away, why wouldn't he let the public know? Its not like he isnt in the public eye already? or maybe he just loves over charging us (like somebody else said) and sleeping on our hard earned cash!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What planet are you on? Good god he's not mother theresa. He's one of the richest men in the world because of Apple and his other companies. He didn't exactly return the 7,500,000 stock options Apple (il)legally gave him in 2001. He's an amazing businessman but he's not the second coming of christ. Just sayin'. (let the flaming begin)

He's rich because he turned 10 million dollars invested in Pixar into four billion. If he have any evidence for anything illegal happening, please tell us.

Antares

macrumors 68000
How could anyone vote this negative? This is nothing but positive news. I think 9 people just like to feel like they're being rebellious. That they are somehow cool if they vote negative.

Anyway, I too wish this was available in print. I would definitely buy it. Steve is definitely worthy of this award. Nobody can deny that.

star-fish

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
How could anyone vote this negative? This is nothing but positive news. I think 9 people just like to feel like they're being rebellious. That they are somehow cool if they vote negative.

Or maybe they thought someone else was more worthy, heaven forbid :rolleyes:

If you hadn't noticed, not everyone in the world shares the exact same opinion about everything.

I for one am impressed by how hot Steve looks in that photo.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
if he did give money away, why wouldn't he let the public know?
Perhaps to avoid seeking attention and taking the focus away from the donation and placing it on the donor. Or perhaps to avoid the accusations of ulterior motives. Do I know any of this to be true? Certainly not. But it's certainly a possibility.

or maybe he just loves over charging us (like somebody else said) and sleeping on our hard earned cash!
That too is a possibility. Can you say for certain which it is? I can't.

Anyways, back to "raging against the machine"...

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
the pictures are amazing. dont forget, there is a finite supply of steve jobs photos out there. the public collection just grew by 12 or (however many there were) and I think i lol'ed at a few of those when first seeing them.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Actually it looks like a guy knee deep in the trenches of his company while the other (work smarter, not harder) jobs is fine with delegating/demanding success.

To different styles of management.

No...those are Bill's bedroom eyes.

And to all those questioning philanthropy, this recognition is about managing a company, not who is the most charitable!

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Look at the competition

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/fortune/0911/gallery.jobs_business_leaders.fortune/index.html

If you look at the also-rans, it's no surprise that SJ was the winner. What a lame selection. Half of them are criminals and/or have ruined the financial system. The other half is just filthy rich and hasn't really done anything with a lasting impact during the last 10 years. Bernie Madoff, Carlos Slim and Martha Stewart? Seriously. Alan Greenspan wasn't even a CEO, he is just a totally overhyped follower of raw capitalism.

The only other good choice was Larry Page & Sergey Brin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.