Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
This is so ugly... total waste of money

Yea cause money only covers looks. There's a little bit more that goes into the cost of a yacht other than looks... which I might ad it looks great..

You are correct about SJ , but Gates is a full time philanthropist.

Bill Gates gives more to charity than some countries make in a year.

Bill Gates is a good man.

Tell me do you have proof that Steve Jobs didn't give to charity?

Also Gates probably isn't that good of a man as you claim.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Built on the back's of Chinese workers.

It's better than not hiring them at all. When you think about it, every single big company that hires Chinese workers is helping the world way more than the average person. Oh, plus taxes.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Did Frank Lloyd Wright design that?

(I'm a big fan of the homes that Frank Lloyd Wright designed, but this looks like a Frank Lloyd Wright houseboat.)

That's the same thing that popped into my mind. If Wright was around and designing yachts, I could see this as one of his designs. It's not really my taste, but if you like that kind of style, this is certainly a good example of it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It is a clean looking design but, I'm more into sailing. Look at the "other" SF Bay area billionaire's (Larry Elision) boat. It think it is much more interesting.

xlarge_imonaboat.jpg

And then Roy Disney's "Pyewachet". Roy's boat was smaller but actively raced and I've actually seen it and him on the water. Roy actually "drove" his own boat.
pyewacketBIG.jpg

Those huge motor boats are boring.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Uh, let's not forget it is the Bill and MELINDA Gates Foundation. Bill actually has very little to do with the decisions. Malinda runs the foundation, and does quite a good job. Let's just be clear about who writes the checks. :)

----------

That's the same thing that popped into my mind. If Wright was around and designing yachts, I could see this as one of his designs. It's not really my taste, but if you like that kind of style, this is certainly a good example of it.

Yes it would be. It was Steve's Style.

Most of the bashing in here is the usual Sept 12, Oct 12 registers.

Most just Apple Hate = Yacht Hate.

Other than the legitimate Powerboat vs Sailboat ideology, mostly Apple hate in here. ;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

Yes Bill's stated goal is to have ALL of his money given away by within 50 years of his death. He has so much that it really will take that long.

My guess is that he is trying to some how un-do all the harm he he has caused and clear his name. I think Gates is almost identical to John D. Rockefeller, one of the worst, most unconscionable business men on Earth but later tried to and (maybe did) redeem himself by giving all the money away. I think Gates is a near identical copy of Rockefeller is that way.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Uh, let's not forget it is the Bill and MELINDA Gates Foundation. Bill actually has very little to do with the decisions. Malinda runs the foundation, and does quite a good job. Let's just be clear about who writes the checks. :)

Yeah, Bill picked a really nice and generous person to be his wife. That says a lot about the man in my opinion.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
That's a beautiful yacht, it's sad Steve never lived to see it completed :(

i don't think steve would like this ship. look at his house, the campus design, the macs--there are curves. this ship is like a box. more like a windows 8 boat. steve is rolling in his grave. this boat is too "metro-sexual."

steve probably didn't care b/c he was too ill about this yacht.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah, Bill picked a really nice and generous person to be his wife. That says a lot about the man in my opinion.

Yeah and Laurene Powell Jobs is supposed to be on the boards of a number of charitable organization and they still gave jack ****. That says a lit about Jobs in my opinion.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Wow. Can't believe Steve signed off on that thing. So ugly, it's beyond words.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
i don't think steve would like this ship. look at his house, the campus design, the macs--there are curves. this ship is like a box. more like a windows 8 boat. steve is rolling in his grave. this boat is too "metro-sexual."

Have you ever seen a better looking motor yacht? There are none. They all look ugly to varying degrees. This one is very clean looking.

Sail boats on the other hand, if they are well designed are striped of everything that does not have a purpose. Every nut, bolt and length of wire is there to make the boat move faster or something. The form follows function design makes them look good. Airplanes are that way to: The best loking ones fly better.

This rule does NOT apply to motor yachts, the best looking ones are not more seaworthy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.