Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
The amount of very immature rejection of a different style of design, simply because it's different to what people are used to, is very depressing.

The yacht is an absolutely stunning achievement. The proportions, materials, influences are so beautifully expressed.

Philippe Starck is one of the greatest designers in history, and I'm sure is greatly respected by Jony Ive. Just because their styles are different (although nowhere near as different as people here are making out) does not mean they cannot both be enjoyed.

Just because Steve liked the look of the iPad didn't mean he wanted everything in his life to look like one! That's why this is the design he chose for his own, personal yacht. Different design suits different aspects of our lives, and different people too.

Next people will be saying how bad Dieter Rams's designs are!

And for those who don't know why Philippe Starck is one of the all times greats, here's just a tiny selection of the things he's turned his hand to:

imgPhilippe-Starck2.jpg

PH5041.jpg

starck-PH5016-category.jpg

Gun-Lamp%20by%20philippe%20stark%20pop%20kitsch%20furniture%20design.jpg

miamiam%20cutlery%20by%20philippe%20starck-739992.jpg

17-Philippe-Starck_Hot-Bertaa-Kettle.jpg

.jpg

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
exploitation has no preference where it operates - it simply exists where it can - if that's what you mean :rolleyes:
Well you said that it takes a genius to make products in China, I was just responding by letting you know that every company does that. People make Apple seem like the devil because they make products in China... Every other company does that too.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
For people who think this is ugly, take a look at what most super-rich-people yachts look like:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-expensive-yachts-2011-6?op=1

e: Ugh, the Maltese Falcon is the only non-generic one, and it's even worse than the rest.

Ugh... some of those are so tacky.

History Supreme - $4.8 billion
History Supreme - $4.8 billion

Courtesy Stuart Hughes

Owner: an anonymous Malaysian businessman, possibly Robert Kuok

Length: unknown

Coolest feature: It's hard to believe, but the History Supreme, a vessel built with more than 100,000 kg of precious metals including gold and platinum, cost nearly 10 times what Roman Abramovich paid for the Eclipse. The yacht has decorations made of t-rex bones and meteoric stone.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-expensive-yachts-2011-6?op=1#ixzz2AdsMJOuT

I kind of hope that one doesn't really exist. The Jobs one is tacky too. It's such a weird thing to own.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
It's a kettle. I think it's from 1989 or 1990. So it's pushing 25 years old and still looks pretty damn good.

he should stick to designing yachts, then. lol.

so he went from designing watches, lamps, kitchen utensils and appliances and bars to yachts? good for him.

Last edited:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Even sadder is the fact that Steve was so poor he couldn't give back to society.

Even his fellow pauper Bill Gates has given back some of his wealth, oops, I mean pennies.

You've got the wrong guy. Only a tiny fraction of Apple's profits went to Steve's wealth. Steve sold all his Apple stock, except for one share, for under $10/share (adjusted for splits). All his Billions came later from Disney's purchase of Pixar.

What did happen is that under Steve's management, he made Apple's shareholder several 100's of Billion wealthier, more than Gates and Buffett combined worth. So if you want to know what happened to all the wealth that Steve made, look at any Apple shareholder (or even your parents if their retirement funds hold AAPL stock.)

Ask all those Apple shareholders who you know what they are doing for the betterment of the world with their share of several 100's of Billions in increased wealth of which Steve managed the creation (again, more than Gates and Buffett combined).

That's what Steve gave back.

Verbatim Cookie

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
While I have no problem with a hard working person spending their hard-earned money anyway they wish, it depresses me to see frivolous spending of money that came from outsourcing work overseas just to make more profit.

For all you unemployed former Apple employees and factory workers that used to work on Apple products here in the US and have watched your work go to China, a few thousand of your Jobs are right here.:(
Far be it from me to defend the super rich, but I will repeat what I read in the allegedly liberal New York Times. Lower labor costs are only one reason why Apple has its products manufactured in China. The other reasons are
  • There are a hell of a lot more engineers in China than in the U.S.
  • Chinese workers are willing to work longer hours and perform more trying (and sometimes dangerous) tasks than U.S. workers have been accustomed to. They are also willing to live in cramped on-site dormitories.
  • Parts suppliers are in Asia.
The fact that the workers live on-site and can be called into work at a moment's notice and the fact that the assembly plants are near the suppliers' plants mean there's less turnaround time when Apple suddenly makes a change in its blueprints for a product.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
not into guns or anything. but, i do play fps games such as mw3 and bf3 like many others and i bet these lamps would sell like hotcakes to kids today. even big kids like me. i actually want one. it's kitchy and appropriate sitting next to my videogame consoles.

They actually look even cooler when in an 'out of context' environment. I've seen them in an old house full of antique furniture, and they look stunning. They both fit, and stand out. You might not see them at first, but when you do you can't take your eyes off them!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
While I have no problem with a hard working person spending their hard-earned money anyway they wish, it depresses me to see frivolous spending of money that came from outsourcing work overseas just to make more profit.

For all you unemployed former Apple employees and factory workers that used to work on Apple products here in the US and have watched your work go to China, a few thousand of your Jobs are right here ...

And for all you Chinese customers buying Apple products, be very happy that Apple is causing your factories to employ zillions of Chinese workers to make the products that you buy, and help your countries employment problem. More Apple product is sold outside the U.S. than within, why should U.S. workers benefit more?

guillemn

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
For the length of the boat seems not enough tall. I cannot imagine this boat crossing the atlantic, and a bot of this price should be able to.

It looks to me a boat for a lake for fishing but bigger and with and ipad shape roof...

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Far be it from me to defend the super rich, but I will repeat what I read in the allegedly liberal New York Times. Lower labor costs are only one reason why Apple has its products manufactured in China. The other reasons are
  • There are a hell of a lot more engineers in China than in the U.S.
  • Chinese workers are willing to work longer hours and perform more trying (and sometimes dangerous) tasks than U.S. workers have been accustomed to. They are also willing to live in cramped on-site dormitories.
  • Parts suppliers are in Asia.
The fact that the workers live on-site and can be called into work at a moment's notice and the fact that the assembly plants are near the suppliers' plants mean there's less turnaround time when Apple suddenly makes a change in its blueprints for a product.

i have read and heard similar programs on npr about this. it wasn't so long ago, maybe in the 1980's and 90's that gadget heads would scoff at anything "made in china." now, almost everything is "made in china" including high end gadgets that use to be only "made in japan" or "made in germany." for the u.s., i don't think there was a gadget "made in the u.s." that i can think of at the top of my head, exept for apple computers and pc's and guns. lol on the latter.

----------

For the length of the boat seems not enough tall. I cannot imagine this boat crossing the atlantic, and a bot of this price should be able to.

It looks to me a boat for a lake for fishing but bigger and with and ipad shape roof...

i wonder about the same thing, if this boat can cross the atlantic. does it take a certain kind of boat to be able to do this?

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Venus

Somehow I think Steve may have lost out on the design, I think the stern is about a butt ugly as a Prius backside.

For a person who appreciated clean lines and transitions, not sure this really made it and I question the aerodynamics of the front of the yacht. Seems that Steve would have appreciated more of a sailing yacht, think Robert Perry.

Mies van de Rowe vs Corbusier vs Frank Lloyd Wright duked it out and lost!

Missing you Steve!

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
They actually look even cooler when in an 'out of context' environment. I've seen them in an old house full of antique furniture, and they look stunning. They both fit, and stand out. You might not see them at first, but when you do you can't take your eyes off them!

do you know how much they go for? i bet they're super expensive.

kingnimrod

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
Wow, they made a floating Apple Store. nasty.

I wonder if it's staffed by "geniuses" who sort of know a little bit about boats.

Is there an indicator strip to tell if it has capsized?

Is there an optional rubber bumper for it?

Does it shatter if you hit rough water?

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
do you know how much they go for? i bet they're super expensive.

Depends on the gun, and if you want chrome or real gold.

I think a small in chrome is about $1000, while a bigger, real gold is about 4 times that.

But then they are beautifully made as well - extremely high quality.

He's not just an expensive designer, though. He very much makes designs for everyone too. A lot of his products are plastic, specifically to make them accessible to more people, and can be bought for much less. (Like some of his designs for Alessi. $40 clocks. Or an amazing fly swatter with a hidden face in it - about $20. The juicer is aluminium (I think) and is about $100. Oh, and ignore all the 'style over substance' reviews. It works flawlessly.)

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Wow, they made a floating Apple Store. nasty.

I wonder if it's staffed by "geniuses" who sort of know a little bit about boats.

Is there an indicator strip to tell if it has capsized?

Is there an optional rubber bumper for it?

Does it shatter if you hit rough water?

i guess apple has resolved the glare screen of the new imacs since they outfitted the cockpit of the yacht with them. that is the most "apple store-y" looking part of this boat. the fact that they put imacs in there is so tacky, to me. i am willing to bet that that part was not steve-approved. they just put that in there as an after-thought or somekind of memorabilia to steve's whatever.

----------

Depends on the gun, and if you want chrome or real gold.

I think a small in chrome is about $1000, while a bigger, real gold is about 4 times that.

But then they are beautifully made as well - extremely high quality.

He's not just an expensive designer, though. He very much makes designs for everyone too. A lot of his products are plastic, specifically to make them accessible to more people, and can be bought for much less. (Like some of his designs for Alessi. $40 clocks. Or an amazing fly swatter with a hidden face in it - about $20. The juicer is aluminium (I think) and is about $100. Oh, and ignore all the 'style over substance' reviews. It works flawlessly.)

ok. maybe when my yacht comes in, i'll be able to snag one of the big gold gun lamps. lol.

Cevap

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Did any ship makers commit suicide due to overworking on his yacht the way workers did when they were building his iPads?

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
i know steve is gone. but, wouldn't they consider the fact that if steve was alive and he got to enjoy his yacht that he wouldn't want to stare at a bunch of imacs in the helm of the ship when he is trying to have a vacation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.