Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It will NEVER be as good as a dedicated tablet like the iPad, but it certainly IS a tablet and functions as one with apps OR desktop programs. The iPad can't do that AT ALL!

Yes indeed, although I work around that issue by using teamviewer to my always on desktop at home whenever I need x86 and only have the pad/phone ;) I'm actually quite fond of the touch to mouse conversion teamviewer does (like sliding your finger moves the mouse cursor like a trackpad) and I'm curious if sp3 has the same option. Makes x86 applications pretty easy to use on touch IMO, of course a native touch style iPad app is better for tablets tough.. But like said earlier, having the ability to go full desktop is great

Regardless the sp3 is a compelling product IMO

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Yes indeed, although I work around that issue by using teamviewer to my always on desktop at home whenever I need x86 and only have the pad/phone ;)

I have things set up so I can RDP over to my work desktop windows 7 PC from anywhere (with 2FA). At home, I will often just RDP over to my personal windows 8 desktop from one of the iPads rather than reach for my Dell Venue Pro 8.

B

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think its a knee jerk reaction. Some people seemed to take the MS making a tablet rather personally. I think overall its a good product and I'm seriously thinking of taking the plunge again. If I buy one now, I get a free case and a 100 dollar coupon code that will go towards a dock.

If I wait until this summer, then I lose out on those promotions.
But you'll more than make up for it in close-out prices. ;)

I'm waiting to see if the Modern UI gains traction with developers and produces the type of touch-apps that I need.

From my perspective, the SP3 is an excellent ultrabook and I'd have no problem buying one to replace my 11" MBA. The continued lack of touch-apps that I need is what prevents me from doing it now.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have things set up so I can RDP over to my work desktop windows 7 PC from anywhere (with 2FA). At home, I will often just RDP over to my personal windows 8 desktop from one of the iPads rather than reach for my Dell Venue Pro 8.

B
I think remoting (sp) to other devices is often overlooked. I catch myself heading to my iMac sometimes then remember my iPad is right next to me. Instead I just remote to my iMac

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Gotcha, the ipad is a better choice for you. Its a huge compromise for me, stylus, MS office, OneNote, I could list out dozens of compromises but that's what I need, but these in part are what make the sp3 a MUCH superior tablet for my needs.

Btw you can add Gmail accounts to the windows outlook app. Have you tried that zinio app for magazines? Awesome app and has most if not all magazines. Music apps I agree with you, but I play all my music on my phone, although there are some great music apps on windows.

I think my main point is that your uses are pretty specific and by far not necessarily universal, and can be adjusted to the windows platform.

As for app/program convergence ill put my money on MS. You still have the desktop which will NEVER go away, their is still a need to hunker down with a mouse that will not go away soon, yet when its time to go into tablet mode the sp3 is ready to go. I don't find touch optimized desktop programs hard to use and certainly don't see a lack of responsiveness, try desktop OneNote or PhotoShop for 2 good examples.

Also notifications are coming in windows 10 as well as Cortana.

I think for me, it's that the iPad opened up an entirely new kind of computing device for me. It can't replace my laptop, but it brings me all sorts of additional functionality over the laptop. I'm frustrated that Microsoft is largely ignoring this kind of use, because it's exactly what has sold hundreds of millions of tablets over the last few years. I don't think my uses are pretty specific at all - I think they are exactly what people buy tablets to do - and I see dozens of people in every airport I'm in using them for exactly that. I am starting to see more Surface Pros, but I have yet to see someone using them as anything but a laptop (other than myself). Unfortunately, the app store appears not to have improved much at all in the two years since I bought my first Surface Pro and came to these exact same conclusions.

Still, I think we will be keeping the SP3 because I now have a specific work use that it seems to excel in (I'm testing it this week and so far so good). It can travel with me instead of my laptop because it is a full computer. It's lighter. I don't have to remove it from my bag at security. The 3:2 screen is a HUGE HUGE improvement over the old models. The keyboard and touchpad are also hugely improved and I can get real work done with them. When I'm on location, I can use just the tablet with the stylus, and record data without having to always awkwardly hold my laptop or look for a surface (ha) to set it on. I can enter all the data with the stylus while wearing gloves, even if it's raining out! This works great for me.

Still, at the end of the day, I'm not going to leave my iPad at home because when I want to do all that other stuff when I'm traveling, at the hotel, or even working and doing other stuff in the background, the 'tablet' side of things just isn't good enough.

A few things I'm still disappointed about.

The cameras are truly awful. They are on par with my iPhone 3g. Not even the 3gs which brought autofocus. I take a lot of notes in the field, and I should be able to insert them directly from one device, not take them with my phone and have to transfer them to the tablet later.

The auto-dim function barely works. It's all over the place.

The sound from the headphone jack is sub-par (yes, I'm a huge snob here, but I use this a lot and both my iPhone and iPad are far superior).

The capacitive home button is far too easy to trigger, but too essential for me to want to disable. I like that they moved it from the previous generations, but now my arm triggers it when I'm writing in portrait.

The lack of fingerprint access is a huge pain. Our domain policy requires passwords too complex to easily type on-screen and the picture password function is too unreliable unless I make it extremely simple.

The touchpad is hugely improved but should be better still. Keep making it bigger!

The power brick could be smaller still. Take a cue from apple and make the second extension cord optional and offer an integrated prong plug into the main brick. It saves a lot of space.

The battery life is good for a Windows laptop (especially one this thin and light) but less than half of what I get from my iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From my perspective, the SP3 is an excellent ultrabook and I'd have no problem buying one to replace my 11" MBA. The continued lack of touch-apps that I need is what prevents me from doing it now.
I have no need for the metro apps for the most part. I'd like the idea of a very mobile device that allows me to work remotely, i.e., connect to the servers that I'm responsible for, use Lightroom. Surf the net etc, etc.

For the most part the SP3 is that device. I almost bought earlier this year but I held off. I'm finding I need to use Windows more for home and work and this is again looking like a great option.

I'm running my MBP in Windows, which is a good solution at the moment, but I think the SP3 would be better in the long run. I'm working out the numbers and it appears I may be able to swing the purchase w/o selling my MBP.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have no need for the metro apps for the most part. I'd like the idea of a very mobile device that allows me to work remotely, i.e., connect to the servers that I'm responsible for, use Lightroom. Surf the net etc, etc.

For the most part the SP3 is that device. I almost bought earlier this year but I held off. I'm finding I need to use Windows more for home and work and this is again looking like a great option.

I'm running my MBP in Windows, which is a good solution at the moment, but I think the SP3 would be better in the long run. I'm working out the numbers and it appears I may be able to swing the purchase w/o selling my MBP.

I'm curious what you think it will do better than a MBP or MBA for that kind of use? If you aren't going to use the stylus, and you aren't really interested in the tablet/touch side of things, how is it better than those devices?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
But you'll more than make up for it in close-out prices. ;)

I'm waiting to see if the Modern UI gains traction with developers and produces the type of touch-apps that I need.

I know you have mentioned this before both here and on the Windows forum, but which TABLET apps are ones that you use the most on there?

I recently switched back from my Windows Phone (Lumia 1520) to the 6+...was very easy since I was already so deep in the Apple ecosystem and now they have a phone in the size I came to love with the 1520 (although I miss Cortana).

I feel like I have the best of both worlds...Apple app selection (even though I'm not a heavy user of them) and the fully functioning PC aspect of the SP3.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think for me, it's that the iPad opened up an entirely new kind of computing device for me. It can't replace my laptop, but it brings me all sorts of additional functionality over the laptop. I'm frustrated that Microsoft is largely ignoring this kind of use, because it's exactly what has sold hundreds of millions of tablets over the last few years. I don't think my uses are pretty specific at all - I think they are exactly what people buy tablets to do - and I see dozens of people in every airport I'm in using them for exactly that. I am starting to see more Surface Pros, but I have yet to see someone using them as anything but a laptop (other than myself). Unfortunately, the app store appears not to have improved much at all in the two years since I bought my first Surface Pro and came to these exact same conclusions.

Still, I think we will be keeping the SP3 because I now have a specific work use that it seems to excel in (I'm testing it this week and so far so good). It can travel with me instead of my laptop because it is a full computer. It's lighter. I don't have to remove it from my bag at security. The 3:2 screen is a HUGE HUGE improvement over the old models. The keyboard and touchpad are also hugely improved and I can get real work done with them. When I'm on location, I can use just the tablet with the stylus, and record data without having to always awkwardly hold my laptop or look for a surface (ha) to set it on. I can enter all the data with the stylus while wearing gloves, even if it's raining out! This works great for me.

Still, at the end of the day, I'm not going to leave my iPad at home because when I want to do all that other stuff when I'm traveling, at the hotel, or even working and doing other stuff in the background, the 'tablet' side of things just isn't good enough.

The cameras are truly awful. They are on par with my iPhone 3g. Not even the 3gs which brought autofocus. I take a lot of notes in the field, and I should be able to insert them directly from one device, not take them with my phone and have to transfer them to the tablet later.

The sound from the headphone jack is sub-par (yes, I'm a huge snob here, but I use this a lot and both my iPhone and iPad are far superior).

The capacitive home button is far too easy to trigger, but too essential for me to want to disable. I like that they moved it from the previous generations, but now my arm triggers it when I'm writing in portrait.

The lack of fingerprint access is a huge pain. Our domain policy requires passwords too complex to easily type on-screen and the picture password function is too unreliable unless I make it extremely simple.

The touchpad is hugely improved but should be better still. Keep making it bigger!

The power brick could be smaller still. Take a cue from apple and make the second extension cord optional and offer an integrated prong plug into the main brick. It saves a lot of space.

The battery life is good for a Windows laptop (especially one this thin and light) but less than half of what I get from my iPad.

But MS is not ignoring the touch side at all. Have you seen what is slated for windows 10? There are some very good things, including a notification center, Cortana (voice assistant), and a bunch of other stuff to make the modern side nicer. I know, it's not here today, but the future looks bright. I know we differ on this point, you see apps as a selling point, I see apps as a holdover from the past, I don't think we will agree on this but neither of us are wrong as they are just consumer opinions.

I agree, the cameras on the SP3 are horrible. It's a shame because oneNote provides some incredible abilities where you can include pictures and video in a variety of ways into your notes. But then again I don't see myself wanting to use the SP3 camera or any tablets camera, I just use my phones camera and let it sync, whether it's onenote or onedrive it all syncs up almost immediately.

Auto dim is terrible, agreed. This needs some serious work. Headphone jack don't know never used it, I'm a Bluetooth headphones kind of guy. Here is where the ipad/android tablets shine. Connecting a Bluetooth headphone and keeping it connected is a mess on windows, where on ios/android is just works. Capacitive home button I never had a problem with, but I agree and prefer a hardware button myself. Fingerprint access I agree, would be awesome to have, for security I'm quite surprised MS left this out in a device geared towards corporate and enterprise use. Touchpad is decent, but I rarely use it as I either am in full mouse mode, or use my fingers on the screen, even in desktop mode which with increased DPI I find pretty easy to use. Battery life, no arguments there, both the ipad and MBA get better battery life, hopefully they improve this. Power brick, this is a HUGE sticking point with me, after having the ipads tiny little power brick I just cannot fathom why we would go backwards and have an almost full sized laptop power brick, 110% agree there, this ties into portability and battery life.

All great points, but in spite of those I definitely would never go back to a non windows tablet. I can certainly understand why you like an ipad though. For me phablets have replaced the ipads functionality so I don't see the need to carry a consumption tablet anymore, I have my consumption phablet with me and the SP3 is there waiting for more heavy duty stuff, including more heavy duty consumption.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
The flawed hardware design:
1) Vs Laptop:
To start work on a laptop you lift up the screen and you're good to go. SP3 requires folding out the kickstand and adjusting to the right angle and folding out the keyboard. Maybe small but an undeniable fact that it is not as simple as a laptop.

2) Vs tablet:
SP3 is too large to hold in landscape and type with thumbs.
It is too heavy to grip at the edge and hold for any length of time.

I'll agree with you on software issues as they're still evolving. But these 2 points are extremely nitpicky.

1. Adjusting the kickstand probably takes a fraction of a second longer than just having to flip up a screen. Is it really that big of an annoyance?

2. You realize this is merely an issue due to its size. If the rumored iPad Pro is released, do you not think it will not have the same exact issue?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I think I'll get a surface in place of the ipad next.

surface pro 4 perhaps.

Im waiting or the battery life to reach the 10 hour mark.

the advancements in ipad is disappointing. can anyone tell me what tangible differences in function, if any, exist between air 1 and air 2?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I think I'll get a surface in place of the ipad next.

surface pro 4 perhaps.

Im waiting or the battery life to reach the 10 hour mark.

the advancements in ipad is disappointing. can anyone tell me what tangible differences in function, if any, exist between air 1 and air 2?

I would say the primary one is the extra RAM which allows multi-tasking to be much more seamless. I can leave 5-10 tabs open in a browser for days at a time without refreshing. Programs are ready to use much faster after switching between them. The screen is better as well, but I thought this was a rather minor point, even as someone who uses a stylus for a lot of writing on the ipad. The battery life is a bit better on the 1 vs. the 2.

Patrick B

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008

Honestly, I'd agree with most of what you've written here. I'd love to see a smaller powerbrick, as it's only 36W, but it baffles me that MS insists on building such a big one.

I'm also not a huge fan of the power connector itself, but if I had a smaller powerbrick, then I could live with the silly connector.

I also agree on the fingerprint reader....that would be extremely handy vs typing in complex passwords. I often use my SP3 on the regional train (GO transit here), and I hate the notion of typing in my password on the screen in a crowded environment. I've gotten very used to fingerprint unlock on my iPhone 6+....shouldn't be too hard to duplicate that type of functionality on the SP3.

I don't use the cameras at all, so not a big concern to me, but given your use case, I can certainly concede that point.

As to the audio port, I do have one complaint about them that's not about being an audio snob (I'm not, though I do have pretty good earbuds). Whenever you start any app (desktop or MUI), I've found that you can't plug in earphones / earbuds AFTER the app has started (ie, if I start watching a video using VLC or something similar), then plugging in earbuds / earphones doesn't redirect the audio to the audio port; it keeps playing out the built-in speakers. It's mostly a hassle if I start watching something in one environment (using the built-in speakers), and then switch to an environment where I need to use earbuds...the audio doesn't switch. I'm sure MS will claim this is a feature however.

One other area I believe you mentioned earlier is around some of the content consumption with an iPad vs the SP3 (magazine and newspapers, in particular). And this is one area I definitely have to give the nod to the iPad on.

In Canada, we're lucky in that we have Nextissue which is a $10 or $15 (two options) monthly subscription with apps that run on several platforms (Android, iOS, Windows). It's basically the entire catalog of monthly magazines that Rogers Media owns or controls, available for one low monthly fee. There is a MUI app for Windows, and it works well. BUT, the form factor of the iPad is better for actual magazine consumption (and by iPad I mean iPad Air / Air2 or their predecessors). The iPad Mini was "okay", but required lots of zooming. On the iPad Air it's just like reading a magazine. It works on the SP3, but admittedly the form factor is not as convenient.

Same goes for The Economist magazine, which also has a specific app for Windows Modern. It works, but the iPad version is better simply due to physical characteristics, and not software ones.

For notes I use a combination of Evernote (which has a great touch interface), as well as OneNote. Both work well across multiple devices and OS's for me.

Patrick

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
In Canada, we're lucky in that we have Nextissue which is a $10 or $15 (two options) monthly subscription with apps that run on several platforms (Android, iOS, Windows). It's basically the entire catalog of monthly magazines that Rogers Media owns or controls, available for one low monthly fee. There is a MUI app for Windows, and it works well. BUT, the form factor of the iPad is better for actual magazine consumption (and by iPad I mean iPad Air / Air2 or their predecessors). The iPad Mini was "okay", but required lots of zooming. On the iPad Air it's just like reading a magazine. It works on the SP3, but admittedly the form factor is not as convenient.

Same goes for The Economist magazine, which also has a specific app for Windows Modern. It works, but the iPad version is better simply due to physical characteristics, and not software ones.

For notes I use a combination of Evernote (which has a great touch interface), as well as OneNote. Both work well across multiple devices and OS's for me.

Patrick

Yeah, as spinedoc noted above, we have Zinio here, which is ok, but on the iPad most magazine publishers have special magazine apps that optimize the magazine for the platform, as opposed to just giving you the print version digitally. There are things I like about both approaches however, and I'm just poking around the Zinio app on the iPad again for the first time in quite a while and I may try buying some issues and seeing how I like it. Either way, the iPad is far more comfortable to hold as a digital reader.

The Economist was one of the magazines I read that I noticed was actually available in the Windows Store but I haven't tried out its functionality yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm also not a huge fan of the power connector itself, but if I had a smaller powerbrick, then I could live with the silly connector.
Yeah that's odd, epsecially when you travel, the smaller the components the better off you are.

I also agree on the fingerprint reader....that would be extremely handy vs typing in complex passwords.
Maybe a SP4 addition? It would be a great addition if they did add it.

I don't use the cameras at all, so not a big concern to me, but given your use case, I can certainly concede that point.
I don't think I'd use a camera, heck I don't use the camera on my iPad.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I would say the primary one is the extra RAM which allows multi-tasking to be much more seamless. I can leave 5-10 tabs open in a browser for days at a time without refreshing. Programs are ready to use much faster after switching between them. The screen is better as well, but I thought this was a rather minor point, even as someone who uses a stylus for a lot of writing on the ipad. The battery life is a bit better on the 1 vs. the 2.

And, the SP3 reboots much faster than any iPad can today.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
And, the SP3 reboots much faster than any iPad can today.

I'm not sure what that means in the context of the quote?

In any event, it is awesome how much Microsoft has improved the boot times of Windows. On the other hand, I don't much care how long my iPad takes to boot because I do it maybe 3-4 times per year.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm not sure what that means in the context of the quote?

In any event, it is awesome how much Microsoft has improved the boot times of Windows. On the other hand, I don't much care how long my iPad takes to boot because I do it maybe 3-4 times per year.

I was just pointing out another one of the little things that make owning this much better than an iPad just as you did about the tabs not refreshing.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I was just pointing out another one of the little things that make owning this much better than an iPad just as you did about the tabs not refreshing.

My response was in regards to the question of comparing the Air 1 to the Air 2, not the iPad to the Surface.

orl2222

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
so cal
I bought a Surface Pro 3 i3 and it boots fast from a cold start. I think the i3 model gets better battery life than the i5. I am able to run the programs I use, office, Netflix, hulu, and iTunes on it. A lot of the app's work good such as Hyper( replacement for a you tube app which I like better) and podscout , which is a podcast replacement and uses the iTunes search engine.
All in all I'm very happy with my purchase, including the type cover which is lighted. Granted I only have 64GB of space, but with all my programs and apps loaded I have 27GB of storage space, but I do have a 64GB micro SD, and It will take the 128GB cards.
Also, OneDrive currently gives you up to one TB of space for free with a office 365 subscription.

I travel a lot with my job, so it fits the bill perfectly for me. My company is not MAC centric, so it works well with my corporate environment.

Would I consider this a replacement for a air? probably not, actually I want another MacBook air, and will be buying that next after xmas.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I tried the i3 model first, as I was thinking of the Surface as more of a companion for my main computer than the primary device, and for me too the battery life was a big consideration. I thought with 37GB free from the factory I should be ok, but by the time I loaded even my very small selection of programs (Office being the only one of any consequence), synced a couple of GB of OneDrive data, and ran all of the Windows updates, I was down to 13GB already...(Don't forget the page files and Hibernate files will consume up to 6-7GB on their own out of the 37GB...) That was just cutting it too close, so I returned it for a larger model.

Also, in Anandtech's battery tests, they find the i3 did better in Metro, but worse on the desktop. Since I inevitably have some contingent of Desktop programs running, I wasn't convinced I was actually going to see that better battery life as it's almost impossible to do anything other than extremely basic tasks without leaving Metro at some point.

----------

Oh, and here is another thing I am running into using this a bit more - and an example of why we need apps or a system-wide method of handling data. I have been trying to use Touch IE as my browser for the battery life and Touch optimized UI, but none of its tabs can stay active even if you stay in Metro. This means no streaming music. It means no Chat. Etc. etc.

In order for me to keep a Gchat conversation open, I have to use a desktop browser, which works fine, but now I have no universal notification system of new messages. I have to navigate back to the browser, to that tab manually to check for messages. This is a huge step backwards from my iPad where I get notifications wherever I am.

orl2222

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
so cal
Here is what you do to cleanup space, change the target folder for OneDrive, create one on the micro SD card (if you have one ) right click find target, and select the new folder.

Also, on disc cleanup, use cleanup system files.

Look at your user folder, and delete the temp files from app data local, this should free up additional disc space.

Delete all the restore points on system restore, leaving the last one only.

Take a look at advanced system settings, and reducing the paging file, with SSD's in windows you don't really need a super large one.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I did most of this as I'm well aware how to manage space in Windows, although I did not want to move my Onedrive files as they are only 2GB and buying even a 64GB microsd would eat into the savings of buying the i3.

Really, it was that I was feeling pinched for space after just one day of use with hardly anything installed. If I was going to have to constantly manage it it was going to greatly reduce my enjoyment of the device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I tried the i3 model first, as I was thinking of the Surface as more of a companion for my main computer than the primary device, and for me too the battery life was a big consideration. I thought with 37GB free from the factory I should be ok, but by the time I loaded even my very small selection of programs (Office being the only one of any consequence), synced a couple of GB of OneDrive data, and ran all of the Windows updates, I was down to 13GB already...(Don't forget the page files and Hibernate files will consume up to 6-7GB on their own out of the 37GB...) That was just cutting it too close, so I returned it for a larger model.

I think over all you picked the slowest processor and smaller disk configuration and thats why you ran into issues. I'm looking at the 256GB I5 model. It comes with more ram, the storage is spacious and the I5 provides plenty of horse power for my apps.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The speed was of no concern for me with the i3 and it was performing fine. It was really more a matter of how quickly that available space gets eaten up by Windows. 37GB free for a companion device is fine. But after Office, Windows Updates, page and hibernation files, it really eats up another 10GB+ right off the bat. Probably more in reality because I didn't sync more than a couple of gigs of personal data and I was down to 13GB after I finished my bare bones setup. Doing some cleanup got me to 15GB, but that was too close for comfort knowing how Windows eats space. Even using WinDirStat I could not identify any major places I could save more space without resorting to hacks. I did end up with the 256GB i5 model, although the added RAM is likely a mixed blessing. Good for performance. Bad for standby battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.