Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Out of curiosity, how well do the Android apps run through the emulator? What about the battery life?

I use Andy OS, and it has a bit of Lag that you wouldn't normally wouldn't find using pure android, but it does what it says on the box, and it allows me to use the millions of android applications and games.

I don't really use it much though so I can't realty judge it on battery life, although I'm guessing it would use a bit like any emulator does.

These days I end up just using the internet browser for most things because the websites I find are often more powerful than the applications and since I have a full blown web browser I have all my extensions and I have chrome for the chrome store extensions etc.

And in terms of applications I have all the windows legacy apps at my disposal. I'm sure when windows 10 comes into the game, the windows store will grow hugely if corporations finally use the next gen windows.

For now though there is a lack of apps/lack of quality apps, in the Microsoft store. But I treat this machine not just as a tablet but as a laptop, so all the legacy apps more than make up for it. And nothing beats being able to use AutoCAD, Revit, Office, light room on a tablet that is so thin and light compared to any laptop and even some tablets.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's a valid concern for sure. Hopefully when the SP3 and other windows tablet numbers are up software companies will see the need to update their products. Sooner or later they will have to stop being lazy as we are seeing all these laptops with increased resolutions as well, heck even PC monitors are getting higher and higher resolutions.
I think that the flood of $99 (and thereabouts) Windows tablets will help improve things. I'll be receiving one of them for Christmas, and will keep an eye on the software landscape... when it sufficiently improves, I can see myself with an SP3 or SP4.

Renzatic

Suspended

Cool. Thanks.

I was thinking that if I were to get an SP (which is looking more and more likely now that I've got to play with one), I'd use Android as a way to compensate for MS' lack of tablet based apps until they hopefully one day get up to speed. But really, the more I think about it, the only things I'd really use while on the go would be Office, the internet, and maybe a few games here and there. Basically what I use my iPad and the iWork suite for now.

Office Touch is rumored to come out alongside Windows 10, and IE touch is pretty decent, so emulating Android probably won't give me any real advantages. It'd be something fun to experiment with, and it's there if I want it, but it won't be anything I'd consider absolutely imperative.

For everything else, I've got Win32.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For everything else, I've got Win32.

In a sense, that's the bottom line, its a full computer running a full OS. If you don't see any modern apps that meets your needs, I'm sure there will be traditional windows apps that could fill the void.

I don't have a SP3 (yet) so I can't comment which is better when using the device but one thing I'm not worked up over, is the lack of apps.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Out of curiosity, how well do the Android apps run through the emulator? What about the battery life?

I've run Clash of Clans through BlueStacks and it runs hot, eventually spinning up the fan, on top of that at a smaller dpi resolution

Not exactly 1 to 1, more like a it's there if you need it solution

Renzatic

Suspended

Turns out there's an alternative to emulation. With a bit of poking and prodding, you can run Android apps natively through Chrome itself.

It's apparently a little buggy in places. Some apps don't even run. But for the ones that do, it should provide far, far better performance than running them through an emulator.

I'm gonna give it a go. See how it works.

edit: I did it! While it's not the easiest thing in the world to set up, it seems to work well enough. The animations are smooth, it loads up content quickly, and seems pretty nice overall.

Now if only I could make the window bigger.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Once the calendar flips over to 2015, I'm going to take the plunge and get the SP3. I've all but decided at this stage, I need to wait so my company can reimburse me 50% of the cost (up to 600 I think). I used 2014's reimbursement on the iPhone so I need to chill for another week.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Once the calendar flips over to 2015, I'm going to take the plunge and get the SP3. I've all but decided at this stage, I need to wait so my company can reimburse me 50% of the cost (up to 600 I think). I used 2014's reimbursement on the iPhone so I need to chill for another week.

Nice...my company gives me a credit in every paycheck for my personal tablet since I use it when I travel. They'll basically have paid for my SP3 after 2 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice...my company gives me a credit in every paycheck for my personal tablet since I use it when I travel. They'll basically have paid for my SP3 after 2 years.

Its a great option and one I'm happy to take advantage. There's a ceiling of how much they'll reimburse over the course of my employment, so I really should pick and choose my battles but so far I've not been able to hold back. Plus its hard to imagine being there for 20 plus years (I think that's when I'm projected to exhaust the benefit).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Its a great option and one I'm happy to take advantage. There's a ceiling of how much they'll reimburse over the course of my employment, so I really should pick and choose my battles but so far I've not been able to hold back. Plus its hard to imagine being there for 20 plus years (I think that's when I'm projected to exhaust the benefit).
If you've held out this long, I suggest waiting a bit longer. I have a sense that something is going to "break" (as in news, not malfunction) soon with regard to the Surface Pro.

There are a couple of hardware design issues with the Surface Pro 3 that I'm confident Microsoft will be addressing for an SP3 refresh or SP4.

Then there's the possibility of an iPad Pro-like device that will stir things up should that ever become a reality... competition is good and may create some downward pressure on the Surface Pro pricing.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm in a similar boat as maflynn.

We're looking at a new baseline notebook for most of our employees in 2015, and I've been "selected" to evaluate the SP3 as a possible option.

EDIT: Santa brought us a brand spanking new rMBP 13" (base model) so it will be interesting to see how that comparison works out.

B

Renzatic

Suspended
If you've held out this long, I suggest waiting a bit longer. I have a sense that something is going to "break" (as in news, not malfunction) soon with regard to the Surface Pro.

There are a couple of hardware design issues with the Surface Pro 3 that I'm confident Microsoft will be addressing for an SP3 refresh or SP4.

A bit longer might be 6 months or more. I doubt very seriously MS will release the SP4 anytime before the release of Windows 10. In fact, I think they're likely to pull a very Apple-like move here, and pair the release of the OS with the release of the new tablet to make them both that much more enticing.

If time isn't a factor, and he's willing to wait, I'd suggest doing so. But if he needs one now, that "some time in the second half of 2015" is still a ways away.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Then there's the possibility of an iPad Pro-like device that will stir things up should that ever become a reality... competition is good and may create some downward pressure on the Surface Pro pricing.

I thought about that, but with Broadwell not hitting the streets until June/July Waiting 6 months for a new product that may have its own set of deficiencies, I think a mid-cycle will be better.

----------

I also will add with my travel plans for the next few months, the SP3 is looking better then my MBP so both from a short term need, and long term outlook, I'm wanting to get the SP3 now.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I thought about that, but with Broadwell not hitting the streets until June/July Waiting 6 months for a new product that may have its own set of deficiencies, I think a mid-cycle will be better.

----------

I also will add with my travel plans for the next few months, the SP3 is looking better then my MBP so both from a short term need, and long term outlook, I'm wanting to get the SP3 now.

Resale value of the surface pro's isn't bad at all. Worst case you put the sp3 up on swappa/CL in 6 months.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I also would not be too surprised if the SP4 didn't drop until Windows 10, and possibly until Skylake is ready given the issues coming up with Broadwell. Microsoft released 3 SP revisions in 18 months, but given the timing of software and hardware advancements, and that they finally hit a bit of a sweet spot with the SP3, I would not be surprised if it took a bit longer than expected for the next revision.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Resale value of the surface pro's isn't bad at all. Worst case you put the sp3 up on swappa/CL in 6 months.

I was wondering that, which is good news. I'm not worked up about buying a computer that is 6 months old, especially if its meeting my needs.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm getting one as a graduation present in Feb. Undecided between the 128/4gb or to pitch in for the difference and the 256/8gb.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm getting one as a graduation present in Feb. Undecided between the 128/4gb or to pitch in for the difference and the 256/8gb.

I think you cannot go wrong with the 256/8gb model, as you get lots of ram and storage for now and the future. That's the one I've been eyeing myself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would really push for 256/8

Windows plus office is what ~40-50 gigs? And a recovery partition too I would wager.

Add in the fact, that other apps will eat into that, and future windows versions may very well be more robust (read consuming more space).

I like the idea of the increased ram, as well. For my job, I find 4GB just too small, and I think if you're going to be using a number of apps at once, the extra ram comes in handy. Unlike OS X, Windows handles ram differently and you need more free ram.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now that its 2015, I think I'm going to take the plunge and get a SP3. My company as I mentioned reimburses me 50% of a computer (up to 500 or 600 bucks), so I may take a trip to the MS store and pick up the 256/8gb model, along with the docking station.

Given that I'll be getting this for what amounts to half price, I may keep my rMBP. I still have a 13" MBP and a Mac Mini in the household, so its not like I'll be abandoning the OS X platform, just that for some things the SP3 is going to be a better fit for my needs.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I still have mine and use it every day. I bought mine the week before Thanksgiving thinking I could always return it if I wanted to with BestBuys extended holiday return policy. I see no reason not to do so.

This computer has not let me down once. I have the 128GB 4GB version and I still have 70GB left on the SSD with Office Pro 2013 and Photoshop.

My Mac Mini is pretty much just a server for my Apple TV these days now.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I am putting mine to more use than I thought I would. The SP1 I have never really worked for me and quickly sat on the shelf unused. Most, but not all of the problems have now been resolved and I'm pretty sure this is going to end up replacing my main work laptop. Surprisingly, the 8/256 model like you are looking at feels if anything faster than my main laptop, a Thinkpad T440s with 12gigs ram, an i7, and a 1TB SSD.

I quite like the dock, it is a slick design and I position it next to my monitors and use it as a touch device while docked. I have gone a bit mad dealing with the scaling issues when docking/undocking because I think it really takes away from the best characteristic of this device which is its flexibility to go immediately from workstation to tablet to laptop. The best solution I have found is a registry hack posted at another forum that gives a few custom resolutions of the same aspect ratio as the native screen resolution. This forces the behavior of the device to be consistent with no resizing of windows or other elements, and things are never blurry on my big screens.

My only issues have been that it sometimes locks up when logging out, and sometimes the same when I login (I get to the Tile screen and I can move the mouse but can't click on anything). And that sometimes is doesn't reliably go to sleep, or at least not deep sleep mode. ie. last night I undocked it from work, put it in my bag, made sure several times that it had gone completely to sleep, yet when I picked it up to use it 5-6 hours later it had used almost 15% of my battery already. That behavior makes it really hard to use as a real iPad replacement where I never have to worry about battery - even if it's at 10% I can know I have an hour or two of solid use still.

Overall a solid device though. Let us know when you get it!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I quite like the dock, it is a slick design and I position it next to my monitors and use it as a touch device while docked.
That's the one thing I really wished apple would do. Provide a dock, for the life of me, I don't understand this. I plug/unplug my MBP from my desk so often, its a pain. Unplug, TB device, USB cables (2 of them), Display and of course power. Then I reverse it when it goes back on my desk.

I was waiting for the Henge horizontal dock but its been in the coming soon status since last summer. I've long given up on that.

I'm excited to be picking up a SP3/Dock, it will simplify my workflow a great deal. You brought up scaling, that's an interesting comment, I'll have to wait and see how that plays out as I set my scaling with the monitor and of course without.

I'm not sure why we have to log out and back in whenever the scaling is adjusted. I wished that was not the case but that's one of the quirks of windows I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.