Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I just did. How has your OSX experienced improved since 2007?

The real question is: "What is there left to improve with Mac OS X"? I'm not suggesting that the answer is "nothing" but the possible improvements would be minor tweaks rather than major changes.

Obviously M$ HAD TO improve drastically after the Vista debacle. It's not necessarily reflecting in a positive way for the company (Perhaps the story in OP is precisely the aftermath of M$'s huge failure on Vista).

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
I'm the only one to spot the error?

Let's just ignore the low number of 1200, but read this:

"Apple also fares well looking ahead to the future, with 47% of those students planning to purchase a new notebook intending to buy a Mac."

this:

"Among those who planned to purchase a new computer, 87% planned to buy a laptop. And among those students 47% planned to buy a Mac."

and this:

"...with Apple's 47% share of planned purchases in 2010 dominating Dell and HP's shares in the 11-12% range..."

So tell me: What is this 47% of 87% of people who plan to buy a laptop, of a non-specified number [out of the 1200 being interviewed]?

No math students here?

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I dunno why but those rooms with 99% of the people on a Mac scare me.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
I got a Mac Pro for my Undergrad and MA years (it was overkill--but I didn't know any better).

Switched to MBP 13" for my Ph.D (now that I know better).

I would have gotten the Air if it was just a little more powerful.

But I think in a few years the 64 GB iPad might be about right for many humanities undergrads--who need a word processor and internet access to journals. Maybe a database. But then again, we always want more...than the minimum.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
The real question is: "What is there left to improve with Mac OS X"? I'm not suggesting that the answer is "nothing" but the possible improvements would be minor tweaks rather than major changes.

Obviously M$ HAD TO improve drastically after the Vista debacle. It's not necessarily reflecting in a positive way for the company (Perhaps the story in OP is precisely the aftermath of M$'s huge failure on Vista).

I second that, I am thinking to myself what I'd like but all what I'd like could either occur in a service pack or would be a pretty non-disruptive change such as optimised drivers, heavier use of GCD, more middleware taking advantage of OpenCL, Maybe expand the video acceleration framework to also support old cards and ATi's own technology etc.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
This stat means nothing. It's like saying Android isn't even a competitor to iOS because the EVO hasn't sold a fraction to as many iPhone's.

There are multiple brands of PC's. Only one brand of Mac. That's why if you see a picture of a group of students with PC's, they don't look like drone's like they do in the picture of all the students with Mac's. Also, that's why you can buy 2 PC's with the same specs for the same amount of money as 1 Mac.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
College students have far too much money if they can blow it on a Mac. :p

Still shows 73% buying PCs.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
My friend works for this exact department with Apple Education. Basically, Apple has been going after college & university classrooms with big contracts. Obviously, you see students develop a liking, and adopt to the all-mighty mac...

Apple with another strategic move... Macs will keep climbing as the adoption in graduate/post-graduate schools has been present for 5 to 8 years now & ever increasing.

...Long live the MacBook!

AP-123

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
I agree, the MBP is the nicest laptop around. Build quality is top. I would strongly consider the MBP for my next laptop regardless of what OS I use.

The story says "Apple 24%". Okay I like it.

Doesn't that mean the the other 76% are not using Apple and most likely not using the Apple OS? Chalk up a few that are not using Windows on their non Apple laptops and also the few that re dual booting their Macs or just plain running Windows.

The rest speaks for itself.

Admittedly I did not read the seven pages of back and forth "Windows vs PC" arguments.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Windows continues to dominate the desktop in schools and business. Gee, I am stunned by the findings....but the fanboys get their shorts in a bunch with these kinds of charts.

Yes, that is correct, for the 13% of college students who don't buy laptops.

Gee, I am stunned by those who obsess on the tiny anti-Mac marginalia in these kinds of charts.
:rolleyes:

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
I feel sorry for all the freshmen in my incoming class during Fall 2005. Everyone bought those terrible G4 iBooks, but I waited. Then the Intel Macs came out and I bought an Intel iMac that was easily 3 to 4 times faster than all those crappy iBooks. What bad timing to buy a new computer that's supposed to last you a good 4 years. Yes many of those freshmen still had iBooks when they graduated in May 2009 LOL!

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Is this another D'oh! story?

An equivalent headline would be "Nearly 3/4 of college students choose Windows laptops".

No, your tense is wrong ("chose", not "choose"). Each incoming class has been choosing Macs at a higher rate than the previous classes. It appears that for current purchasers, Mac laptops are being chosen at a 40% rate or higher.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Once again: 1200 is NOT a low number for a sample in a survey like this.
Yet that number represents only 12 people per campus, and for me as former CEO of six companies – sold all six of them – that's close to zero.

Not to mention that you skipped the most important bits, because it's not even close to 47%. And that's a fact.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Yup, that is why the entire HP Calculator division was mostly set up. Gave all those engineering students brand loyalty to buy the high dollar HP lab equipment back in the day. Steve learned from that.

Texas Instruments destroyed HP's share in calculators in the 1990s. They made calculators for the High School market, and by the time those students got to college, they had no interest in using HPs (most of which asked users to use RPN).

HP got intoxicated by the high profits on printer consumables and really let everything else go downhill in terms of product innovation and quality.. I worked in University IT support and can tell you anecdotally that HP/Compaq was absolutely the least reliable major brand of laptop. Lots of screen connector failures, motherboard failures, etc. at frighteningly high rates. I would tell anyone to stay clear of their laptops - especially a student who travels with their laptop constantly and tend to beat them up . Fujitsu, Asus (yes really), and Lenovo seemed to be the most reliable PC brands. Dells were average, Apple's were better than Dells, and of course rarely an OS issue with the macs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.