Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

32 + 21 = Old.

And you're not working towards that high GPA that will help you get a job.

Employers look for more than just "knowledge", they look for skills, talent, problem solving abilities etc. The student who did internships and only got a ~B Average is more likely to get a job than the person who got an A average and no internships.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
You're not one-upping - you're trying to prove that you're part of the "in crowd".
Nope. We're proving that we're NOT part of the out-crowd. Namely, pc users and ungrateful mac users (not to mention any names)

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Nope. We're proving that we're NOT part of the out-crowd. Namely, pc users and ungrateful mac users (not to mention any names)

5QW6

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
I like Macs but... meh. I could just as easily go with a Lenovo ThinkPad as any Apple on the market today.

Computers are tools, but most other college students see them more as a status symbol.

Whatever.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
LOL at Windows sheep (the 90% majority) accusing Mac users of trying to fit into the "in crowd."

Groupthinkers accuse renegades of groupthink. News at 11.

Hilarious.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
UVA (where I work) has a disproportionate number of spoiled trust fund country club preppy frat kids so their numbers might not be the best way of measuring the U.S. college scene.

Of course not: its just one regional datapoint, just as is also Princeton University, where their freshmen blew past 60% Mac adoption back in 2007, so they're obviously ahead of the National Average.

At the other end of the college pool, we'll find two year community colleges.

I've not seen any studies - and I intend no maliciousness - but IMO its safe to say that the student demographics there aren't quite as high. Statistically, they're merely below the National Average ... to which advocates will suggest that they're 'dragging down the average'. Yes, they are, but by this language choice, we also have to say that places like Princeton are 'dragging it up'.

What is obvious to any good Statistician is that the composition of the types of colleges that were respectively surveyed - - as well as how they may very well have had been weighted - - will also make a potentially very significant difference in what gets reported.

Getting back to using UVA's information, it was merely that MR made the annual adoption data conveniently available for use & illustration of the point that I was making.

To reiterate, that point was that it is Invalid Statistics to compare Apples to Oranges.

Here, the one fruit was was the contribution of just the new incoming freshmen (single datapoint) and the other fruit was the total sum average of all enrolled students (moving four point average), where we know that there is a gradient across the dataset.

Those who see & understand what I'm talking about ... are probably thanking their College Statistics Teacher and wondering how Elmer-DeWitt could have gotten such a basic thing so very wrong.

-hh

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I like Macs but... meh. I could just as easily go with a Lenovo ThinkPad as any Apple on the market today.

Computers are tools, but most other college students see them more as a status symbol.

Whatever.

I suppose. If I was doing media or video stuff I would definitely get one though.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

Whatever.

it's not the specs, but the support

a college kid needs to have the laptop work all the time or get support easily. not call india and spend 6 hours on a script while using up their cell phone minutes for the month on a single call. if you live close to an apple store you take the computer there and people speak english.

it's like the old European buying habits of previous generations. you buy something very expensive but that you know will last for years and years because even the cheaper versions are too expensive to replace on a regular basis. my mother in law has kitchen utensils that are literally decades old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.