Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Is it me or does this issue of dropped calls get exaggerated a lot? I never ever get dropped calls, ever. iPhone 5 on AT&T in NYC. :confused:

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Tmobile is the most consumer friendly telco company in the USA. I'm on at&t (for now) but i've experienced MORE dropped calls on at&t than my previous tmobile phone. definitely going back.

also tmobile hspa+ speed is almost the same as at&t lte. compared with my friends.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
They are absolutely correct except for 50% slower speeds.

They are slower (since they don't have real 4g,they have 3.5G aka faux G) but not 50% slower

They have more dropped calls than any network

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Grammatical nightmare.

Can't help but read the text as: "Two times more dropped calls"

'Twice as many' would sound two times more better.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
I just tried a prepaid card fom Tmobile, and here's the truth. My iphone 5 has no problem accepting TMO SIM. Yet the 3G is not available on a wide scale, though I suspect this may change in March. However, when there's is a 3G connection, the speed of it puts ATT's LTE to shame. ATT is a fraud! It's no secret people flock to VZW, and soon to TMobile also.

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
"-Expect the introduction of a new equipment installment plan tier, likely in the $25 - 30 dollar range as T-Mobile moves to make all its smartphones $99 or less as down payments. A $30 tier makes sense if you consider the retail value of the device is $699 = $30 x 20 monthly payments."

umm.... last i checked 20x30 =600
not 700...

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
"-Expect the introduction of a new equipment installment plan tier, likely in the $25 - 30 dollar range as T-Mobile moves to make all its smartphones $99 or less as down payments. A $30 tier makes sense if you consider the retail value of the device is $699 = $30 x 20 monthly payments."

umm.... last i checked 20x30 =600
not 700...

It does when you consider that $99 is payed up front. Their math is correct.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
It's really choosing the lesser of all evils.

As far as I'm concerned, ATT, T-mobile, Sprint, Comcast, Verizon, are all CRAP. But they have monopolies, especially ATT and Comcast so the consumer has no choice.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I'm smoking crack? Perhaps you are confused.

You may get 20-40 MegaBITS down (3-5 megaBYTES), certainly not 25-40 MegaBYTES.

Mb (Megabits) is not a measurements of link speeds, so that isn't even an appropriate measurement.

And that is LTE, not "4G". AT&T may have more 4G than Tmobile in more places, but Verizon has more LTE than AT&T so it's all relative. Network size alone doesn't equate to network experience for a user.

4G is HSPA+, LTE is LTE. I'm well aware of Tmobile having faster 4G, hence my original post. I'm also well aware of AT&T LTE having more coverage and probably better speeds, but Verizon trumps them in both arenas. We were talking about 4G, not LTE.

As soon as you said Verizon trumps them both, you are immediately discredited. Verizon WAAAY slower than AT&T. Verizons coverage with 4G is comparable to AT&T but their fallback network is ANCIENT!

Verizon does at least one thing better, they put together convincing commercials for the truly uninformed.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
As soon as you said Verizon trumps them both, you are immediately discredited. Verizon WAAAY slower than AT&T. Verizons coverage with 4G is comparable to AT&T but their fallback network is ANCIENT!

Verizon does at least one thing better, they put together convincing commercials for the truly uninformed.

I don't fudge the facts:

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/new-york/new-york-january-2013/

Will it vary by city? I guess, but I can only speak from personal experience.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I understand the other non-Apple news, but this seems too unrelated. BTW, T-Mobile sucks, and their ads suck even more. "You can get 4G LTE speeds with a 4G LTE contract on our hot (crap) 4G LTE phones. Plus, AT&T and Verizon are evil."

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
T-mobile is just moving towards what the rest of the world has and AT&T is just worried that this could set in motion the end of the contract phone era here in the US. Why should I have to pay x2 as the rest of the world? Thank you T-mobile.

Going to move to T-mobile for this very reason!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Is it me or does this issue of dropped calls get exaggerated a lot? I never ever get dropped calls, ever. iPhone 5 on AT&T in NYC. :confused:

Same. AT&T has only dropped a couple of my calls, and those were on my flip phone.

Something I've run into is AT&T dropping my DATA. That is, it'll show full bars, but nothing will load. OK, I know they're not necessarily "dropping" it, but you know what I mean.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

You sound like my customer that claimed AT&FEE were faster, we did a few speed tests with Verizon vs AT&FEE and in all 3 AT&T lost.

Verizon definitely takes it, I have seen speeds up to 50gb!

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
ATT in Dallas is great on LTE, 4G, and so was 3G.
t-mo is the crap, it's laughable.
They are mad because the buyout didn't go through, they don'y have LTE, and they don't have the iPhone.

Oh, and all they have to sell are the cheap plastic phones!

:apple:
Dallas is also AT&T's home city. THey better perform well there. In NYC, AT&T's HSPA in fact is crap.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
ATT clearly does not like this crack in the dam, the beginning of actual price wars. They just want to compete with advertising, not rates or tech.

C'mon Apple, use a few billion to get into the carrier business. No iToy is as important as that.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
AT&T Love or leave it

What the hell type of childish , he said she said crap was that? Now I know one of the tiny reason's networks are not updated AT&T is pissing away the money on stupid ad's like this

Pathetic, really really sad and pathetic.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Really AT&T? Your network isn't crap? Then how come I had no service for days during hurricane Sandy but everyone on Verizon did?

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
ATT poking fun at dropped calls? LOL

And tmobiles 4G is up to twice as fast as ATT's.

Not in my area. T-Mobile is absolute trash. I got no service in my living room or office where I previously got 5 bars of 4G. I was constantly not receiving calls because I was not in cell reception. Their coverage of Upstate NY is an absolute joke.

Zoom all the way in on their data coverage map. Watch how much of it changes to yellow Edge coverage that is previously dark green 4G on a full zoom out.

I will never, ever, go back to that company. Not to mention, AT&T is the only carrier out of the 4 that provides great service in a nearby rural area that the other 3 admittedly removed from their maps.

-----

I can't stand when people knock certain carriers in general. You think just because AT&T service sucks where you are, it sucks everywhere? I constantly get great service where relatives' Verizon phones get weak signal.

A relative in Maine absolutely loves T-Mobile. That's fine. It sucks for me. That's the reality for everyone. Folks, don't knock something in general that you know nothing about.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Funny,
because if the ad is viewed under normal low involvement circumstances, what kind of sticks out and stays is:

• T-Mobile
  • 2 x more
  • 2 x more
  • 50 % less

...Profit might go unintendedly to T-Mobile.

It's 50% slower.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Can't say those lines are wrong. TMo is absolute **** in my area, don't about the 4G because half of the time it's on Edge and the other half it's looking for an Edge signal.

happy with my Verizon, costs more but I can actually use my phone.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Fighting between the two biggest distorters of what 4G is? Guess liars can't stand other liars.

What? Both of them have 4G as defined by 4G standards. How are they distorting the meaning?

AT&T: Rethink jealousy

"Rethink Possible" sounds like they're getting something that's possible and making it impossible. Wanna NOT pay for text messages that cost them next to nothing to transmit? It's possible, but we like to rethink possible :)

----------

You sound like my customer that claimed AT&FEE were faster, we did a few speed tests with Verizon vs AT&FEE and in all 3 AT&T lost.

Verizon definitely takes it, I have seen speeds up to 50gb!

Do you happen to work for Verizon? That might explain your speed claims. But I actually want to try AT&T vs Verizon in Los Angeles. You realize it depends heavily on location, right?

50Gb.... per minute? Day? Week? Month? Either way, it'll be over your limit. If you mean per second, you should be ashamed of your lies.

----------

AT&T ad designer, here are a few tips:

- Don't mention a competitor's name unless your service is known to be better (not meaning that it necessarily IS better).

- The font sucks.

- Why not at least show off the iPhone instead of a random 'Droid? T-Mobile doesn't have the iPhone and laments the fact.

- Don't confuse the reader. What's the difference between a "dropped" call and a "failed" call?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.