Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Any random HTML5 video. I could put a video on a page and host it in about 10 seconds, I can easily not include a resolution option.

They should do like YouTube and let you have a "I have a slow connection, always low definition " option.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
Yeah, no....

Video-Resolution-SD-480p-vs-HD-720p-vs-HD-1080p.jpg

I love how everyone called you on this straight away haha

Jvanleuvan

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2012
They should do like YouTube and let you have a "I have a slow connection, always low definition " option.
Oh, yes, they should I recommend that! but may small sites just have videos posted and if you stumble upon one you can accidentally burn a lot of data.

I appreciate the idea of allowing the users to select to have their video that is streamed to their device restricted.

Like a flow control used in industrial applications; where you want to allow the downstream device to consume what it wants, but have some upper limits to prevent runaway situations.

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
What is more important is why his coverage expectations for 2015 weren't fulfilled as planned. The maps are filled with blank areas T-Mobile won't hit. They are 5 miles from where I live and I am in a weird donut hole about 20 miles in diameter. wth?

And that pink guitar back there and the pink t-shirt isn't helping.

Based on the experience of myself, some friends and family, and some people who've posted on this site in the past about their signal I say:

Bahahahahahaaaha Bahahahahahaaaha hahahaha you expected signal from TMO and all their goals met? lol

To quote others-
3rd Rate subpar still could be better network

For those keeping track and praising Verizon too No VZW Yet lol so much for carrier or "Uncarrier" expectations or promises respectively

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Looks like someone's confused on the definitions of 'throttling' (which refers to speed/bandwidth) vs. 'data cap' (which refers to capacity). When this CEO says "We're not throttling, that's bullcrap", what he really means to say is "We're not putting a data cap on you".

Slowing the bandwidth (or speed) by which you can download all videos across all content providers (whether they opt in to this service or not), is, by very definition, throttling the bandwidth.

Video content providers that don't support downscaling have demonstrated that the video speeds are slowed to a bit rate of 1.5 Mb per second, often resulting in frequent buffering for end users (even though their internet connection is much faster). They are throttling. No matter how badly you say that they aren't

Learn your terms, John Legere.

I suspect the reason you're avoiding the word throttling like the plague is because throttling is explicitly prohibited in net neutrality laws.

You can't break the law by trying to confuse people with wrong definitions of words or semantics.

#TMobile #netneutrality #JohnLegere #throttle #throttling #YesItsThrotting #DataCapsAreDifferentThanThrottles #BingeOn

Last edited:

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Whether 480P is good enough on a phone screen is neither here nor there. The issue is that T-Mobile have not properly implemented this.

If a content provider hasn't signed up to be part of binge-on then their content shouldn't be downgraded.

It smacks of T-Mobile coming up with a way to reduce the load on their network, rather than upgrading the network to handle the load!

What do you think they have been doing for the past one and a half years? Of course they want to reduce network load when they have a finite resource (spectrum) to deliver services on. Do you even understand how wireless works?

Verizon and AT&T have ample spectrum due to the way the wonderful FCC has run things over the years. You've crippled the competition by favoring the folks with more cash and now you want to cripple them more by being upset they don't have as much of a resource as the big guys .. in which they rigged the game.

Like someone said here, hilarious how much people can complain.

DON'T LIKE IT? .... DISABLE IT.

Reactions: Cam Johnson

Jvanleuvan

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2012
I don't understand what is people's problem?!

You get "FREE" video streaming that "WILL NOT" count against your data, if 480 is too low for your well it's you problem. Watch videos on data then.

Ridiculous how spoiled people are.
Actually if 480p is too low then they can turn of this feature.

Reactions: jamesnajera

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
To me, the problem is that T-Mobile is saying to companies that if they pay extra, they will be accessed easier, which is kind of finding a loophole in the Internet Neutrality laws. It's obviously in Hulu's best interest to pay to T-Mobile so more people will watch their videos, which is exactly what the law wanted to prevent.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
What is more important is why his coverage expectations for 2015 weren't fulfilled as planned.
What are you referring to? TMOs goal for 2015 was to cover 300m pops by the end of the year. They announced that this goal had been met and exceeded back in October. Going from zero LTE in 2013, to 300m+ in two years is an engineering feat if you look into how fast they were able to acquire spectrum, and deploy it. Add the band 12 expansion in the mix, and it's looking pretty good. The auctions are right around the corner, and he's already mentioned that they will spare no dollar amount to scoop up and deploy even more spectrum. I'm impressed...and I'm not even a customer...yet.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
T-Mobile is slowly becoming just like the other two big carriers. They raised prices once they got more customers and they put caps on the so-called unlimited data. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I just refuse to watch video in 480p quality.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
I don't understand what is people's problem?!

You get "FREE" video streaming that "WILL NOT" count against your data, if 480 is too low for your needs, it's your problem. Watch videos on data then.

Ridiculous how spoiled people are.
See my earlier post

Looks like someone's confused on the definitions of 'throttling' (which refers to speed/bandwidth) vs. 'data cap' (which refers to capacity). When this CEO says "We're not throttling, that's ********", what he really means to say is "We're not putting a data cap on you".

Slowing the bandwidth (or speed) by which you can download all videos across all content providers (whether they opt in to this service or not), is, by very definition, throttling the bandwidth.

Learn your terms, John Legere.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
'Binge On' reduces the bandwidth requirements for videos by degrading video quality (and thereby the bandwidth required to stream video of that quality). That, in and of itself, isn't a problem. The problem is in the implementation.

If it *only* did so for 'Binge On' *partner* sites, the people complaining would have absolutely *zero* leg to stand on, because the reduced video quality is the trade-off for the bandwidth not being counted against your limits.

The problem, and what people are *actually* complaining about is this:
'Binge On' degrades the quality of *all* videos (streamed, or not) from *all* sites (partnered, or not), but still counts bandwidth from non-partnered sites against the users' bandwidth limits.

Both the users *and* the non-partner sites whose videos are effected by 'Binge On' have a justifiable reason to complain about this service as it currently works.
Ding ding! This is exactly the issue. They're downgrading quality for non partner services. Until they can resolve this bug or admit that they knowingly downgraded the resolution for ALL video and not just partner services, I won't switch to T-Mobile.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
The point is that, with Binge On activated, it downgrades ALL video content to 480p, even the that aren't content partners and therefore it still charges data, just at a lower resolution. That's what he is ignoring.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
480p is good enough for low data rates on cellular, like the free T-Mobile coverage in foreign countries, now that Netflix has expanded. In the video, Dumb and Dumber refers to ATT and Verizon.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I like T-Mobile and appreciate the change that they've brought to the U.S. wireless market, but this CEO's attitude is starting to rub me the wrong way. This tough-guy, holier-than-thou persona is just a bit too much.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
You can argue all you want about whether 480p is good enough for a 5" screen, but that 1:1 at 1080p crop is an utterly ridiculous comparison if we're talking about phone screens.

The 1080 image, assuming it's a 1:1 crop (which it must be based on how the others look), is 150x250 pixels, and the 480 part of that image should be about 65x110 pixels (it looks more like 50x80 pixels to me, but maybe it's over-compressed). Meaning that's a crop of 1.8% of a full 1080p frame. Meaning that's about what the image comparison should look like on a 27" non-retina iMac screen. On a 5" phone screen, that part of the image would be about half an inch high in landscape mode.

Heck, the 6 and 6s only have a 750 x 1334 screen, so they can't display anything significantly better than 720p natively.

I'm not saying it's impossible to tell the difference between 720 and 480 on an iPhone. And it's certainly possible that, once it's been compressed all to hell for streaming, the 1080 version is visibly better than a 720 version even on a screen that doesn't contain enough pixels to display it. But in a real-world sense, with moderate compression, normal viewing distances, and average vision, there's no reason a 480 video image should look all that bad on a 5" screen.

Heck, it was animation with relatively simple lines, but me and two other people watched half a season of a show on a friend's 50" 1080p TV without realizing we were watching the DVD version instead of the Blu-ray one.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
John Legere is coming off like he has something to hide here and for good reason. He is for sure skirting around net neutrality, and that is ******** Mr Legere!! Sorry, but I don't want something for "free" if it is decided by my carrier.

This is exactly throttling. And he says it is semantics yet takes a clear side towards throttling. And turning it on by default for all videos is not giving customers a choice. You can't shrug off net neutrality that easily.

This is all totally deceiving and "used car salesman" feeling. Turned me off from Tmo for any future business. Your customers don't love this Mr. Legere. Those who do don't truly understand what you are doing here.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
While everyone argues about 480p vs phone size, I will delve into the real issue of net neutrality...

Imagine you want to launch your own movie/TV streaming website to compete directly with Netflix because you don't like the color red and Netflix uses a lot of red. So you register a domain name, design a slick website, broker deals with all the major production companies etc. You have now successfully created and launched your new service which is half the price of Netflix and provides double the content. A year goes by but your subscriber base is still very small so you decide to investigate why. You discover that consumers with T-Mobile are given unlimited data access to Netflix for free while accessing your site eats through their data cap. This means its cheaper for the consumer to use Netflix even though your site is arguably better. You dig deeper and find that you too could make an agreement with T-Mobile and allow your customers unlimited access. However doing so would require weeks or even months of paperwork and hiring lawyers to ensure everything is correct. But you're just a small startup. You don't have the time or cash. Slowly you lose money and declare bankruptcy. Netflix continues to grow and dominate the streaming industry.

With Net Neutrality, it is illegal for an ISP to give priority and otherwise special access to a particular site. This is not designed to directly benefit the consumer but will protect them by maintaining competition in the marketplace. Even if becoming a T-Mobile Binge On partner is completely free it is still violating the spirit of Net Neutrality as it is endorsing one service over another.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Too many people need glasses for close up that is why most can't tell. Well I can tell the difference easily. I did when I upgraded to a QHD display and icons looked fuzzier. It does not matter as I only stream audio on T-Mobile. Any video streaming is done on WiFi only.

I am nearsighted as I can see close up easy but far away is blurry. As for my family my parents, all uncles, all aunts etc can't see good close up but can see perfect far away. This is why.

iLeoMarc

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
I think some are a little confused. #bingeon as 2 components.

1. Video Stream partners. These are "optimized" and does not count towards the customers.
2. non-partners, these streams are "optimized" or "throttled". This is youtube, with their encrypted streams. counts towards data-limit.

Now some individuals are using component 1 to justify component 2. But both components walk a fine line between net neutrality. Creation of partners in component 1, can lead to net neutrality rules violation especially if those partners streams look better than non-partners. Secondly this opens the door for service providers charging content providers for expanded "optimization" in the future; where because these optimization techniques are propriety there is no way of knowing if they are just opening the tap wider for partners.

For component #2, streams without lower quality available will just result in video buffering. Eventually many larger non-partners will benefit from looking at the type of optimization tmobile does, pushing for them to be included as partners. Component #2 is where t-mobile will get their bandwidth savings which in turn pays for Component #1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.