Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I just find this predictable, so not surprised.
I have absolutely no desire for this watch regardless, but it's interesting to see how this thing evolves as it makes it's way to market.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The answer is really simple: if you don't want ads, pay for the apps. Developers have to make money. Ads is one way to do that. That's how capitalism works.

You can't expect developers to do work their day job and develop free apps at night.

Actually this is NOT true. Look at Mac OS X. Apple just repackaged BSD UNIT that they got for free. It is a free operating system that Apple just used.

The Apache web server, linux and all of Libre Office. All free with no ads.

Only the low end small scale stuff is supported by ads the best and biggest free software projects are done never supported with ads

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
Imagine how hip and in touch you will be with ads on your watch such as Kool-Aid !:D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Henry Blodget and Business Insider are treating this as if it's officially endorsed/supported by Apple. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it's still maddening as people hear about it and think if they buy an Watch they're automatically going to be spammed with ads. :rolleyes:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With so many ads lately everywhere, does anyone even remember the last ad on any page that they visited? They're such a nuisance and a turn-off, I think most people simply don't pay attention to any ads.

I seem to recall hearing that roughly 99% of people have no interest in any given ad, and that advertisers know that. They're not paying to have their ad displayed to you. They're paying to have their ad displayed to the 1% who will respond to the ad. The issue is they don't know who is/isn't interested, so the disinterested 99% have to suffer through it.

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
This is fantastic news! Soon the rich, entertaining world of advertisments will be coming to wearables like the iWatch. Ads will be more personal and relevant than ever before!

This will improve lives by ensuring that us consumers are better connected to brands. I can't wait!

Well, if a company will give me a free Apple Watch in exchange for having to tap out of ads every now and then, I may be for it. Otherwise, keep it the hell away from me.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
The Apple Watch display does not extend to the edges as illustrated!

The secondary edge-to-edge screen on the Apple Watch is exclusively reserved for the ads, regular apps use the regular screen with the black border! :p

Seriously though, this is an app NOT meant for installation. :confused:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I can't see Apple allowing something to take control of the whole display and put an Ad when you're not in an app. If it's just an in-app ad, then it's business as usual, but if it's on the home screen, that's disturbing.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Actually this is NOT true. Look at Mac OS X. Apple just repackaged BSD UNIT that they got for free. It is a free operating system that Apple just used.

The Apache web server, linux and all of Libre Office. All free with no ads.

Only the low end small scale stuff is supported by ads the best and biggest free software projects are done never supported with ads

>Only the low end small scale stuff is supported by ads the best and biggest free software projects are done >never supported with ads

That describes about 99% of the Apple App Store content. And those "small scale stuff" is what make iOS so popular.

So if you are a developer with an idea for an app (small scale stuff), how do you make money if the end product is free and contain no ads? Do you run an ads that asks for donation?

The "free" codes that you talked about are written by developers many of whom were paid by companies for work they do, and these companies run ads. So in the end you are actually paying for the free software by watching those ads.

omalansky

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Contextual ads? DIsgusting!

Advertising is already an omnipresent plague in American society. The thought of wearing a watch that assails the wearer with even more advertising is positively disgusting.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
People thought there would be no ads? Stupid people. Ads are everywhere, why are you all sad? Cheer up.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Soon every morning I wake up I'll have to see something like this. Pleaseeee no!
"Apply for a Gold Credit Card for free*! It is life-changing! *Conditions Apply.
Oh and by the way in other trivial news you have 3 new notifications!"

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is fantastic news! Soon the rich, entertaining world of advertisments will be coming to wearables like the iWatch. Ads will be more personal and relevant than ever before!

This will improve lives by ensuring that us consumers are better connected to brands. I can't wait!

Apple Watch*

maddogmorris

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Burlington, VT
This changes everything

This new advertising scheme has completely changed my perspective on the Apple Watch. I have gone from really wanting one to never in a million years would I buy a product that will push unwanted ads in my face when I am trying to use it.

omalansky

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
People thought there would be no ads? Stupid people. Ads are everywhere, why are you all sad? Cheer up.

Some would say that the stupid people are those who think it is acceptable for ads to be everywhere. A sick society that doesn't know it's sick is very sick indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.