Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
It's funny people are freaking out about this. Some company wanted attention and came up with this idea. One problem though, apple strictly forbids any ads of any kind in watchKit. This is not going to happen. Apple knows it's an awful idea and won't let advertisers ruin it's new baby.

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
This is just what I always wanted to be: An actual walking advertisement.

and that's different from the phone you are carrying?

I don't want ads on the watch either. I don't want to read an ad to check the time.
But don't kid yourself about walking around with ads at present.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
This is fantastic news! Soon the rich, entertaining world of advertisments will be coming to wearables like the iWatch. Ads will be more personal and relevant than ever before!

This will improve lives by ensuring that us consumers are better connected to brands. I can't wait!

I want what you are on

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Time and Temperature is brought to you by TD Bank. Touch screen to dismiss this message

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Well, here's hoping Apple doesn't approve apps for the watch that have ad hooks in them. Advertise on a 4+ inch smartphone or tablet screen all you want but not on a small watch screen. Like Jony Ive said -- the watch is, by its very nature, more personal than a phone because it's on your wrist. I can't believe they'd allow ads to clutter that "personal" watch experience.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I want what you are on

No, you really don't...

----------

Well, here's hoping Apple doesn't approve apps for the watch that have ad hooks in them. Advertise on a 4+ inch smartphone or tablet screen all you want but not on a small watch screen. Like Jony Ive said -- the watch is, by its very nature, more personal than a phone because it's on your wrist. I can't believe they'd allow ads to clutter that "personal" watch experience.

Yeah! The last thing I'd want to do is pay out the butt for this 'watch' and have to wade through ads to get to the damn time!

But 'capitalism' has a way of finding the 'value' in everything, and sucking the value of the device along with it. I have deleted many games off my iDevices just do to the 'Updates' adding popup ads. ENOUGH!!! I'm freaking SICK OF THEM!!!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Some would say that the stupid people are those who think it is acceptable for ads to be everywhere. A sick society that doesn't know it's sick is very sick indeed.

Please tell me where I said the word "acceptable". I'm just surprised people actually get sad/annoyed over it. There's obviously going to be ads.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
LOL I go out of my way to block ads in every web browser I use. I'm thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone so I can install blockers there as well. Won't be buying a watch.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate ads as much as the next guy, but isn't it ironic that we are saying that on an ad-supported website that we all love? MacRumors wouldn't be able to survive without ad revenue. It's an interesting thought to ponder. (but the :apple:Watch still does not need ads!).

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Like iOS devices, the only time you'll see ads on the Watch will be in an app or on a website. While developers have gotten away with ads on the larger display of a phone or tablet, I don't think many apps will get away with an ad taking up the bulk of the display. If I have to go through an ad to get to content on a watch, I will stop using that content.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
This is fantastic news! Soon the rich, entertaining world of advertisments will be coming to wearables like the iWatch. Ads will be more personal and relevant than ever before!

This will improve lives by ensuring that us consumers are better connected to brands. I can't wait!
Neither can I! I was thinking watches were for telling time, but then I thought Phones were for making calls.

How silly I've been, I've been missing out on non-stop advertising all this time.

Lotusman

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Jesus, I hadn't even considered this... would guarantee I'll stick with my trusty Breitling.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
"Ads on my watch"... The last bastion of real estate which I thought was mine and mine alone.. has also gone up for the grabs!

If you put a Ad on my watch, then the watch better be freaking free and even then I can't stand it.

Last edited:

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
If I ever see an ad on the Apple Watch, I'm returning it. Period.

This brings more to my point of that a watch such as a Tissot or Hamilton is more elegant than Apple would ever make in their dreams. It's clear the Apple Watch is just another platform to sell you more ads.

No thank you Apple. I'll stick with my traditional automatics.
Dear Lord!

Like I'm gonna pay money to have someone stick advertisements on my freaking arm?!?

Never.

Go to Hell Apple.
Very , very big mistake Phil. :mad:
Completely hideous. A new low if that was possible. I await the next retrograde development with absolute distaste and revulsion. I am veering strongly towards a PC running Linux.
And there's another reason

I'm not interested in the Apple Watch.
I'll add this to the list of reasons I don't get an Apple watch.

And some folks wonder why Apple doesn't officially sanction jailbreaking. Exhibit A right here: If they did, people would install some third-party jailbreak hack that screws up their iDevice, then run around blaming Apple and cursing them.

Apple is NOT bringing ads to Apple Watch. This is a third-party company. Developers might put ads in their WatchKit apps -- just like they do on any other iOS device. If you don't like that, there's an easy solution: don't install apps with ads! You will never, ever see a single ad on your Apple Watch.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Awful, awful idea for the Apple Watch. I do not want adverts on my wrist. App developers, put adverts on your Apple Watch apps and expect them not to be downloaded.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had no plans to get an iWatch, so now we're in the negative-zone where if I was given one as a gift I'd ask if they kept the receipt.

I'll stick with my Pebble thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.