Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
what really pisses me off is that somewhere out there, high up in their fancy 50th floor sky scraper office… a marketing exec. is getting paid 6 figure$ to come up with this idea.

Boosf

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ads on Apple Watch

My enthusiasm for the Apple Watch is waning more and more as the days go by. I think revealing it nearly 1/2 a year before actually offering it for sale was a bad move. If it will have ads on it, I personally won't want one.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
For all of those complaining, it seems you don't realize that Google ads already size to the Apple Watch and will already be there. It's not as if we were going to get away with being ad-free on the device if companies didn't create dedicated products for it.

Also seems you don't realize what advertising pays for. I'm willing to bet countless services you use are paid for by ads. Use Twitter, Facebook, MacRumors, or any Google product? :rolleyes:

It's not awesome but it's a necessary evil.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The reaction is understandable. Ads on a tiny screen like a watch seems absurd.

But I am sure if you don't want ads, you can avoid them. Apple apps and apps that you pay for most likely don't have ads.

Chances are ads support apps will figure out how to monetize on the phone. And like successful virus don't kill their host in general, apps that show ads on iWatch would fail if the ads are so intrusive that people don't use them. So perhaps instead of displaying a banner ads, it would display a small logo, like a Nike swoosh or an IBM icon.

But people like to vent, even when their venting is illogical :)

Me, I pay for the apps that I don't want ads, put up with them, or avoid them.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Well, here's hoping Apple doesn't approve apps for the watch that have ad hooks in them. Advertise on a 4+ inch smartphone or tablet screen all you want but not on a small watch screen. Like Jony Ive said -- the watch is, by its very nature, more personal than a phone because it's on your wrist. I can't believe they'd allow ads to clutter that "personal" watch experience.

They won't. There are no ads allowed according to apple's watchkit.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
This would alienate me

This is horrible ... ad supported wearables ...

I can see it now ... $400 for the watch +$9.99 to remove the ads ...

Having said that, I can guarantee you that Apple WILL NOT do this as a default or without an option to turn it off.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Guess how many ads have shown up on my Microsoft Band since I bought it...

At first I was thinking that's hardly a fair question since we don't know how many ad-based apps you use. But then I remembered, the Microsoft Band doesn't support third-party apps.

So I guess just the built-in Starbucks one, then?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

No, sorry, not really.

I think I threw up in my mouth a lot.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
My enthusiasm for the Apple Watch is waning more and more as the days go by. I think revealing it nearly 1/2 a year before actually offering it for sale was a bad move. If it will have ads on it, I personally won't want one.

When did Apple say it would have ads on it?

----------

This is horrible ... ad supported wearables ...

I can see it now ... $400 for the watch +$9.99 to remove the ads ...

Having said that, I can guarantee you that Apple WILL NOT do this as a default or without an option to turn it off.

When has Apple ever done this? My iPhone and iPad are not ad supported, neither are Macs. You must have Apple confused with Amazon which does ship ad supported devices that you have to pay to remove the ads.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Antares

macrumors 68000
This is fantastic news! Soon the rich, entertaining world of advertisments will be coming to wearables like the iWatch. Ads will be more personal and relevant than ever before!

This will improve lives by ensuring that us consumers are better connected to brands. I can't wait!

Having options for ad supported apps for those who don’t want to pay for them is good….But I wouldn’t call this “fantastic news.” I think that the people who could afford a luxury item, like this watch, surely could also afford the price a few ad-free apps. To me, apps on a watch would be extremely annoying. I don’t know, I just don’t understand your level of enthusiasm for this rumor. Do you really think that ads on the watch would improve our lives? I have yet to feel like any ads have improved my life. Be it on my phone or computer...or tv or anywhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.