Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The video is exactly the same on both models because the 6+ doesn't use optical image stabilization on video, just digital.

And for photos the cameras are literally identical except for the OIS, which is only barely apparent in low light situations according to every comparison done that I've read. Looking at the pictures taken with both it's hard to deny.

Check this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBU9K6sQ7U#t=1288

Ois in low light does actually help quite a bit in cropping espcially, but other then low light and slightly smoother videos, same thing

VapoChimmy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Ois in low light does actually help quite a bit in cropping espcially, but other then low light and slightly smoother videos, same thing

For video it's exactly the same thing. OIS isn't active during video, it's right on apple's site. If you think you've seen a difference it's a placebo.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
For video it's exactly the same thing. OIS isn't active during video, it's right on apple's site. If you think you've seen a difference it's a placebo.

Im pretty sure I have seen multple video comparisons online of OIS in action vs the 6 and it being a bit smoother

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

DxOmark states that the reason why the Plus got one less point in the video score was due to OIS artifacts in the video, Im actually pretty sure the Plus is the first smartphone to use OIS for video but please correct me if I am wrong

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Mine has never lagged or crashed once, so I don't know what phone you bought.

----------

I'm serious lol. Before mine came I bought into all the posts that there was no noticeable difference between picture quality, resolution etc. from 6 owners trying to convince themselves that they had the same specs. I can clearly see the difference in screen resolution under normal use, hell even when just looking at the home screen. A lot of 6 users are mad that their phones are deficient in a few areas, and that is understandable, however they shouldn't be in denial lol.
I bought the same phone you did. I'm happy you didn't have issues. Plenty of others beg to differ. No reason to be snarky. Enjoy your phone.

By the way, if you want to run some kag tests, there are plenty of threads about it. I haven't seen a single person come back and say truthfully they didn't see a spot of kag anywhere. There are even YouTube videos on the matter.

NellSounz

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
Thank God I got the 6 Plus

I totally agree!! I sold my 5 to my sister. A few days ago when we were together I asked to hold her 5 and to my amazement the phone felt so tiny!! I asked if it was the same phone that I sold her. It felt like I was holding a 4 My 6plus is so comfortable to handle and my God the battery life is amazing!!!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I bought the same phone you did. I'm happy you didn't have issues. Plenty of others beg to differ. No reason to be snarky. Enjoy your phone.

By the way, if you want to run some kag tests, there are plenty of threads about it. I haven't seen a single person come back and say truthfully they didn't see a spot of kag anywhere. There are even YouTube videos on the matter.

No lag at all for me on my Plus, I have reduce motion on and also reduce transparency and it is absolutely buttery smooth all the time, even when rotating with keyboard, spotlight keyboard is buttery smooth when rotating, everything is buttery with Reduce Motion & Reduce transparency on(I like the fade animation from Reduce Motion and I also like the darker notification center from Reduce Transparency

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Im pretty sure I have seen multple video comparisons online of OIS in action vs the 6 and it being a bit smoother

http://www.dxomark.com/Phones/Apple-iPhone-6-and-6-Plus-review-Bigger-and-better.-Apple-set-gold-standard-for-smartphone-image-quality

DxOmark states that the reason why the Plus got one less point in the video score was due to OIS artifacts in the video, Im actually pretty sure the Plus is the first smartphone to use OIS for video but please correct me if I am wrong

You're confusing digital video stabilization with OIS. The 6/6+ features Cinematic Video Stabilization, which is basically enhanced digital video stabilization compared to that found in the 5s. The videos you saw were of those comparing the 6/6+ vs the 5s.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No lag at all for me on my Plus, I have reduce motion on and also reduce transparency and it is absolutely buttery smooth all the time, even when rotating with keyboard, spotlight keyboard is buttery smooth when rotating, everything is buttery with Reduce Motion & Reduce transparency on(I like the fade animation from Reduce Motion and I also like the darker notification center from Reduce Transparency

If you've removed those two things, I don't doubt you have a smooth experience. I just don't feel I should have to disable features on an os running in the top of the line device from apple which even demands a $100 premium over its smaller counterpart.

But I'm not trying to get into an argument or even much of a discussion about lag here. There are plenty of threads for that. I simply wanted to share my experience. Overall in happy that I got the plus based on screen size alone. If this was an android device from Samsung I might not even notice the issue. I've just gotten used to every single apple device not requiring any tweaking to run wonderfully out of the box. My mom's 5s runs ios 8.1 smoother, overall, than does my 6 plus.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It's outselling because they made more 6's

The 6+ blows the 6 out of the water.

You get used to the size quick!

The 6 is selling well because the demand is higher for it. 5.5" devices are always going to have a market, albeit a smaller one.

I have tried the Plus and it's not just a case of getting used to the size. No amount of determination is going to make it fit in my jeans pocket any easier or stretch my fingers so it's easier to hold, or enable me to use it one handed while holding my baby. It's suits a lot of people but it isn't going to satisfy everybody. Let's not forget we have all had the same opportunities to buy these devices, I had the choice of either one and chose the one best suited for me. The size of the Plus for me overshadowed any slight improvements it has in features, so it's not such a big deal.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This what I don't get. Some people buy the plus and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread and that anyone who doesn't want one just needs to experience it, or educate themselves on such a great product.

The iPhone 6 is a great phone, and fits the needs of many people, its out selling the IP6+ by a huge number, clearly while the 6+ is popular, many more people want the 6.

I already said this, different strokes for different folks.

Agreed. But I wonder if the numbers will start to even out when the 6+ stock is readily available.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
The size is totally worth the superior display and battery life. It's so nice not having to panic if I forget to bring my charger to work.

I get between 20 and 24 hours between charges on my iPhone 6. I have only had to charge at work one time because I got battery drain from s bad app.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Agreed. But I wonder if the numbers will start to even out when the 6+ stock is readily available.

The amount of brain power people spend on 6 vs 6 Plus is baffling. Who cares if the numbers even out? Why does it matter to anyone not directly impacted by it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm gonna have to give up my plus to go to switch to tmobile from att.. im figuring out if there's a way to keep it. are they both exactly the same phones or tmobile phones have some special features in them?

I believe all you have to do to move from ATT to T-Mobile is switch SIM cards. They are exactly the same phones.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
What ever happened to "different strokes for different folks?" The better phone is the one that suits your needs better at the time. We are fortunate to have choices and I'm glad Apple gave us that.

I had the 6+ and it was too big of a jump size wise from the 5 so the 6 is working out better for me now. If the 6 starts feeling small to me after a few months I may move to a 6+. By then the apps will all be updated to take advantage of it.

nanoweewee

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
nah homie I ain't jealous you have a 6+ if I wanted one i'd get one. I chose the pocketability of the 6. I rocked a note 2 for almost a year and half so I know what it's like to use a gigantic smartphone. Also people with iphones told me that the note 2 was too big. HA. Anyways cool story I guess.

This exactly. I had the note 2 for 2 years and got sick of not being able to put the phone in my dress pocket. Yes I do have a purse, a lot of them actually but sometimes I just want to carry a small purse and the damn note 2 just wouldn't fit.

While I appreciate the screen size, pocketability is more important for me now. And I can even use the phone with one hand, bonus!

Yea the same people who told me note 2 was too big are now getting the plus. Well, I could never understand!

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
iPhone owners arguing with each other over which one is better? Come on guys, let's stick to our mutual enemy, android users!

:p

I think they're both great phones. I personally chose the 6 Plus because I wanted that 1080p display and I love a big phone. I have very long fingers so I can use it one handed just fine.

I just love that all these manufacturers are competing with each other to make the best phone possible, which is why we have all these great choices. Android, Apple, Windows, whatever floats your boat.

stonerwinst

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
I too am very happy with the plus. Before it arrived, I was following many discussions about the issues (bending, lagging, etc). I have had the phone for a week and have not had these issues; knock on wood.

Maybe I'm getting older and becoming less OCD, but it's just another phone for me. The screen is much bigger and easier to use. The battery life is wonderful. I don't have to use a Mophie battery case anymore like I did with the 5.

I do have a UAG case in my plus. I think it's a nice balance between protection and added size/weight.

I do have to adjust my usage habit with the larger phone. For example, having the phone with me at the gym working out feels weird with such a large device. Also, there is no way I can go running while holding the phone in my hand. I have solved both changes with a flipbelt.

So as a new iPhone 6 plus user, I'm a happy customer. I do wish it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I paid full price.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I've had the 6+ for more than a month now and am enjoying it. The larger size makes me less inclined to reach for my iPad all the time since I can read much easier on this larger screen. The apps for the 6+ need to get more like the iPad versions. Glad I didn't get the smaller one. For me the size issue was only whether it still fits in my pants pocket, which it does. So I'm satisfied. Obviously this is as big as phones will ever get unless they come up with roll-up screens like the devices they used in Red Planet. But Apple was smart to have a smaller version for those who prefer that. Making the most customers happy means more sales.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I'm still torn between the 6 or the 6+. I really would like something in between, like a 5" screen. 6+ is nice and fits in my pocket, not sure if I would like to go that big. Decisions :(

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No, it's not. According to polls right here on MR, the demand is 50:50 for the 6 vs. 6+. According to polls out in the real world (i.e., outside of MR), I believe the demand is 60:40, but someone can correct me if I'm off.

In my part of the world I have only seen 4 iPhone 6 plus's in the wild but vastly more standard 6's. That might be down to the limited supply chain or preference.

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
There will not be any waterworks # when mine arrives but I sure would share the same enthusiasm with the op#

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
If you've removed those two things, I don't doubt you have a smooth experience. I just don't feel I should have to disable features on an os running in the top of the line device from apple which even demands a $100 premium over its smaller counterpart.

But I'm not trying to get into an argument or even much of a discussion about lag here. There are plenty of threads for that. I simply wanted to share my experience. Overall in happy that I got the plus based on screen size alone. If this was an android device from Samsung I might not even notice the issue. I've just gotten used to every single apple device not requiring any tweaking to run wonderfully out of the box. My mom's 5s runs ios 8.1 smoother, overall, than does my 6 plus.

Those arent even really features, I actually prefer the faster fade animation of going in and out of apps from Reduce Motion, and I dont quite frankly really care about transparent windows in iOS, (control center transparent, etc, big deal for that I dont really care about that)

Its not nessacerily disabling any features at all actually, it is just changing the look of the OS ever so slightly , thats all, no features or functions of the phone get disabled at all

You should try Reduce Motion and Reduced Transparency, it really does make it buttery smooth though(and I happen to prefer these two options on anyway because I like the fade animation Reduce motion gives better then the stock animation when going in and out of apps, and also I like the darker notification center with Reduced transparency, the keyboard is also darker in some applications which I actually like too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.