Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfstone

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2007
omg. feel like a kid again. can't wait till tomorrow. might be the last time steve jobs presents some big new product. always good to see that there are other crazy geeks out. cheers to all forum posters

ranguvar

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2009
I don't know what I'd prefer: a cool new tablet or Jobs announcing a MBA update and watch the fanboys commit mass suicide... :eek:

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
how the ipad interacts with you

I don't know what to think of that statement. Surprised would be if I had to use the back of my hand or my nose or elbow. I am expecting to use my fingers. Maybe the video camera will see gestures and that is what the surprise is.

most recent rumours describe rather convincingly that the iPad will be controlled by testesterone and oestrogen levels.
it also mind-reads the user; negative thoughts about Jobs cause the processor to run slow, positive thoughts about Apple Corp speed up the device's connectivity.
it also interacts with your bank account rather interestingly.

Gatesbasher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
I'm starting to actually get excited about this—surprisingly. Up to now, the "Apple MUST build a tablet!" crowd were only a little less annoying than the "Apple MUST build a mini-tower like everybody else is losing their shirts on or they're DOOOOMED!!!" crowd.

Thing is, I read all the rumors about what it's supposed to do, and I find it hard to believe that all those things weren't included in the prototypes that were developed and then nixed. Twice, maybe. Apple must have something else that's going to knock our socks off, and I'm anticipating seeing what it is.

If it's a big iPod Touch (with HD resolution), a Kindle-killer, and a WaCom tablet...are we over $1000 yet? All in the same device. That alone would probably make it a success. The whole "replacing textbooks and allowing note-taking and markup" part would be a large guaranteed market...I don't know.

This isn't a prediction, but what I would do if I were Apple...the paint-splashed invitation seems to indicate something to do with artistic creation. I would have the tablet act as a bluetooth input device for your Mac, where it would manipulate a new Adobe-killing Apple Creative Suite™ based on GIMP, while as a stand-alone device, a subset of that would be loaded on the tablet acting as MacPaint and iPhoto all in one—this would all be part of the new iLife '10 suite introduced at the same time.

(Do you really need a front-facing camera for gesture support? How about proximity sensors at each corner so it can tell where your hand is without you touching the tablet?)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Redundancy alert

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating:

db100126.gif

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
How long after the keynote will the video be up by? I'm debating whether or not to go on a total internet block out until the video is up. Or will it be such a long wait that you might as well read the blogs?

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
More like your first baby being born! Months and years of preparation and planning, and suddenly life isn't the same any more.

"years"? last one we had only took 9 months
(we're in europe, may be different in the states. we got an unlocked one)

Mr. Mac iCouple

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Midwest
1st. Post - Hello Everyone!

I've done much speculation on the TV show and look forward to the new iPad or iSlate :)

I (personally) would like all the iphone functionality to replace my iphone as a communication device - take out the ATT sim and put it in the tablet...

Here's looking for Tomorrow! :)

Mr. Mac

1st. Post!

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
Can't believe it's already the 26th…so soon but at the same time so much time since the old rumors.

While some may be holding out hope for a Mac OS X based experience, there has been absolutely no evidence that the tablet will run anything related to Apple's desktop operating system, and the use of the ARM processor would eliminate the possibility of direct Mac application compatibility. It seems certain that the tablet will run an evolution of the iPhone operating system which has been designed for multi-touch interfaces.
This. The only rumors saying Mac OS X on the tablet were the ones that also said a 13" tablet. That tablet's rumored details were different enough from this 10" tablet that it's most likely a separate device (if it even existed).

Berio

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
the side of your head

I've done much speculation on the TV show and look forward to the new iPad or iSlate :)

I (personally) would like all the iphone functionality to replace my iphone as a communication device - take out the ATT sim and put it in the tablet...

welcome.

do you mean to say you'd like to walk around holding a tablet up to the side of your head? or that whenever the phone rings you'd fumble an earbud into your ear? or have i missed an option?

Mr. Mac iCouple

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Midwest
welcome.

do you mean to say you'd like to walk around holding a tablet up to the side of your head? or that whenever the phone rings you'd fumble an earbud into your ear? or have i missed an option?

Speakerphone, wireless, and/or earbuds would be ok
(mind you i'm not in a daily commute on public transportation)

I won't pay for another mobile internet service... it's just a little silly... hope Apple has an answer for that

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Really looking forward to seeing what apple can add to the table(t).... ;)
Since i already own an iPhone and a MacBook Pro i think i might struggle in convincing myself to buy one, but i'm still really looking forward to see what they've created! :)

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
I'm starting to actually get excited about this—surprisingly. Up to now, the "Apple MUST build a tablet!" crowd were only a little less annoying than the "Apple MUST build a mini-tower like everybody else is losing their shirts on or they're DOOOOMED!!!" crowd.

Thing is, I read all the rumors about what it's supposed to do, and I find it hard to believe that all those things weren't included in the prototypes that were developed and then nixed. Twice, maybe. Apple must have something else that's going to knock our socks off, and I'm anticipating seeing what it is.

If it's a big iPod Touch (with HD resolution), a Kindle-killer, and a WaCom tablet...are we over $1000 yet? All in the same device. That alone would probably make it a success. The whole "replacing textbooks and allowing note-taking and markup" part would be a large guaranteed market...I don't know.

This isn't a prediction, but what I would do if I were Apple...the paint-splashed invitation seems to indicate something to do with artistic creation. I would have the tablet act as a bluetooth input device for your Mac, where it would manipulate a new Adobe-killing Apple Creative Suite™ based on GIMP, while as a stand-alone device, a subset of that would be loaded on the tablet acting as MacPaint and iPhoto all in one—this would all be part of the new iLife '10 suite introduced at the same time.

(Do you really need a front-facing camera for gesture support? How about proximity sensors at each corner so it can tell where your hand is without you touching the tablet?)

Just because a prototype was nixed doesn't mean the feature set or usage changed significantly.

Maybe the battery tech wasn't there, or the screen wasn't right.... maybe the mobile processors at the time weren't up to the performance Jobs wanted. You can nix it because the technology/cost isn't right, not just because they didn't have a reason to use it and now they do.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the remote style computing from the digital lifestyle we always used to mention with the iMac, iPod, camera, etc. Perhaps the tablet just sits on the coffee table or in the kitchen until someone wants to check their email, watch tv, or change the song overhead.

HSJR

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2009
Can anyone book one iPad for me?

Could anyone find out how long should I wait to get a new device if I order it from apple site?? I mean can I order it now?? It would be awesome especially if you are among the first who have the opportunity to buy it. I can wait to get my hand on it! :D

ipadlove

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
image online of ipad

Rendering of ipad, found online

rendering.png

Like the dual function camera (camera when facing away from user, video chat when flipped over to face user)

neat function!

I really hope it does more than flip over pages of a newspaper! I want to be able to sketch on it! paint on it! type on it! work on it!

not listen to music :)

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
nice!

That G5 you mentioned at the top of the post sounds great!
Is that going to be released on Wednesday too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.