Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenji458

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Definitely 1 of the coolest looking cases. Can't wait to see the actual case itself.
Wasn't really a fan of the hybrid style but this upcoming case is surely keeping my interest up

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
Just photo-chopped some colors. Excuse my horrible talent, but if it looks anything like these, im leaning toward the lime green. Or a black and silver would look sick too.

Attachments

• dbcolors.jpg
    dbcolors.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 160

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Just photo-chopped some colors. Excuse my horrible talent, but if it looks anything like these, im leaning toward the lime green. Or a black and silver would look sick too.

Have to admit, the blue to silver is real slick looking :)

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
how much dya think its worth?

OK so lets ask the real question, since there's no real life pricing out there yet...what do you folks think it SHOULD cost?

Just looking at some of the other cases out there in this genre...vapor runs from 80 some odd up to 120 some odd....e13ctron is around 85 etc etc

So what would you all consider a "Fair" price for a full coverage, fancy schmancy type case like this one?

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
OK so lets ask the real question, since there's no real life pricing out there yet...what do you folks think it SHOULD cost?

Just looking at some of the other cases out there in this genre...vapor runs from 80 some odd up to 120 some odd....e13ctron is around 85 etc etc

So what would you all consider a "Fair" price for a full coverage, fancy schmancy type case like this one?

If we were not 3-4 months away from a possible refresh/redesign, I would think what they charge for the atomic hybrids is a fair price, about $80.

But given the possibility that i may upgrade to a newer design in 4 months, to me, the value is much lower......

jasonmanning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2011
look nice, but I can see that the access to volume up/down can be a bit tricky. An keep in mind aluminum scratches very easy ... great looks though.

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
If we were not 3-4 months away from a possible refresh/redesign, I would think what they charge for the atomic hybrids is a fair price, about $80.

But given the possibility that i may upgrade to a newer design in 4 months, to me, the value is much lower......

This coming from an Apple Corporate employee:

"Of course not, we're not stupid. We are not going to sandbag Verizon sales. There was made an astronomical amount of iP4's this year alone anticipating 30% of ATT customers to climb over to V. There will be changes however in July with the A5. Casing remains unchanged until Jan or Feb 2012. Oh and also new 10hr battery."

Guillermo

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
This coming from an Apple Corporate employee:

"Of course not, we're not stupid. We are not going to sandbag Verizon sales. There was made an astronomical amount of iP4's this year alone anticipating 30% of ATT customers to climb over to V. There will be changes however in July with the A5. Casing remains unchanged until Jan or Feb 2012. Oh and also new 10hr battery."

Guillermo

No offense, I find it difficult to believe that an Apple corporate employee would say anything of the sort, especially in writing: Apple's "top secret" type tactics are not exactly hidden from the media, but their new designs are.

Not a personal attack, and not disputing what is being said...I hope that would be the case. However being realistic, I would expect the ip5 to be thinner than the 4 (if they could do it in the ipad, why not for the iphone?), meaning that cases will in fact need to change.

I've also heard rumors that the ip5 won't happen at the beginning of summer the way it always has, but rather towards the end of fall...that way the VZW crowd isn't going to bug out over a new release that they're not eligible for.

At this point, honestly, it's all pure speculation: but if you're the type willing to pay full retail for an ip5 (since you won't be due for upgrade), I hardly think that the cost of an extra case is going to see terribly prohibitive.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
However being realistic, I would expect the ip5 to be thinner than the 4 (if they could do it in the ipad, why not for the iphone?), meaning that cases will in fact need to change.

please god, the phone is already thin enough. thin doesn't necessarily mean better in function OR form. can you imagine a phone the thinness of a credit card? at what point does this obsession with thinness obscure the comfort of holding a phone?

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
please god, the phone is already thin enough. thin doesn't necessarily mean better in function OR form. can you imagine a phone the thinness of a credit card? at what point does this obsession with thinness obscure the comfort of holding a phone?

Ditto! At that pace, iPhone7 will be a contact lens.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010

Not saying it's what I want, but it is what I expect. It's been the way all of their stuff has gone. Lets get thinner and lighter, but with a bit more power.

iPad 2 - great example. The first ipad was already light and thin, but now the new one is 33% thinner. Necessary? Hell no, but if apple stays true to form, whats good for the ipad will be good for the iphone as well.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
That looks so much like HTC Diamond, which has one of the best designs ever
Now if we can have some info on pricing...
htc-diamond-review-2.jpg

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
That looks so much like HTC Diamond, which has one of the best designs ever
Now if we can have some info on pricing...
htc-diamond-review-2.jpg

Working on it and yes, Unni and I discussed the similarity to the diamond :)

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
I should get my demo next week. I think the all the testers get theirs next week. Can't wait! hopefully they'll allow me to post pics!

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
Damm 200$ dollars for a case

Dear customers and potential customers,

Thank you for your interest in the Diamondback full body case from Atomic.**We will soon be sending you a pre-order request.**There will be two versions of the Diamondback.*

The first version will be a Hybrid Composite Case made of a Polycarbonate frame, coupled with a Billet 6061 Aircraft grade aluminum back plate incorporating a multi-faceted design as the images you have seen.***The release date on this case will be sometime Mid April - we are anticipating 4/15 but due to the increasing demand this could push it back one to two weeks.**Colors and finish options will be announced in the pre-order request.*The retail on this item is*$200.00

The second version is the Full Poly Carbonate case - with the multi-faceted backplate made from an injection formed transparent acrylic type polymer.**The release date on this will be some time in late May / Early June.*Colors will be announced in the next pre-order request email.**$100.00

Both cases have no signal loss, no GPS loss, no data speed degradation.***We understand the cost of these cases exceed our existing line of cases, however we spared no expense when creating this case.**The Diamondback requires special high end CNC machines and tooling to accomplish the finished design.

Atomic will be following up with more exciting products inclusive of the cases for the Samsung Galaxy S, and the HTC Thunderbolt, as well as a CNC aluminum iPad / tablet stand, Slick window mount, Integrated BOSE docking station and more.*

The Diamondback is AT&T and Verizon compatible

Sincerely,

The Atomic Team

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, does anyone else think $200 for a phone case is just a bit much?

kaikai830

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2010
Yea, for 200 bucks I'll pass. Thought I might get these when it come out but not for $200. I can get myself a new phone for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.