Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Honestly I think the window has closed for new cases for the iphone 4. There will be a new iphone out in a few months and no matter what anyone says, they will jump ship and move over to it. And charging 200 bucks for this case is a big chunk of change that would probably pay for the new iphone or come pretty close!! It would damn sure be a nice down payment anyways.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I would seriously be ashamed to admit to spending 200 on a case... Insane, such greed on atomics part, it's really a slap to apple users " heck!! make it 200 they will pay anything!!!"

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
I dont think the price is that bad for probably the best aluminum case out there. I spent over $300 in cases this year for the ip4. Am I alone here or who has actually spent same more $ on cases? I have the atomic hybrid as my go to work case, a defender for my mountain biking excursions, and a bunch of other garbage.

Hinch87

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
I dont think the price is that bad for probably the best aluminum case out there. I spent over $300 in cases this year for the ip4. Am I alone here or who has actually spent same more $ on cases? I have the atomic hybrid as my go to work case, a defender for my mountain biking excursions, and a bunch of other garbage.

The reason that it is a bit absurd is that apple will probably be releasing an ip5 this summer with new dimensions than the previous ip4. To release a case that costs about the same as the phone seems kind of like robbery. I love the case and it looks amazing, but I will not be paying almost the same amount as my ip4 for a "sweet" looking case. The phone is well worth the price as it has tons of features as the case just looks nice and protects it. Not worth it to me

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA

I wish I had only spent that much on cases! I've got over 70 cases now for my iP4 alone...at a (low) average of $30 per case...do the math. Granted, about 20-25 of those are comp (free) cases that I've tested/done reviews on, but still...it's an expensive hobby. That being said...I may spring for one of the aluminum/composite Diamondbacks to try out, as I like the style of it. I've spent close to that on several cases, so it wouldn't be totally out of line for me.

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
The reason that it is a bit absurd is that apple will probably be releasing an ip5 this summer with new dimensions than the previous ip4. To release a case that costs about the same as the phone seems kind of like robbery. I love the case and it looks amazing, but I will not be paying almost the same amount as my ip4 for a "sweet" looking case. The phone is well worth the price as it has tons of features as the case just looks nice and protects it. Not worth it to me

I don't think that will still matter. Its not like everyone is forced to buy the ip5. And its not like their stopping production of the iP4.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I don't think that will still matter. Its not like everyone is forced to buy the ip5. And its not like their stopping production of the iP4.

That was my thought. I just got my iPhone 4 a month ago and will be keeping it for 2 years. (no upgrade until Verizon has a robust LTE network).

Hinch87

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010

Now thats true, but I think the people considering buying this 200 dollar case are more of the hardcore iphone users. I generally think more of the hardcore iphone users are going to upgrade to the ip5. Yes, its an assumption but I think a fair one at that. Nevertheless, 200 dollar for a case is a bit crazy when you can get the phone for 215 dollars (with an upgrade). This case better have some other amazing qualities.

dayumitzmark

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
once i saw 200$ i deleted the email..thats basically the cost of the phone on contract, or half of the phone off contract..:rolleyes:

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I've also heard rumors that the ip5 won't happen at the beginning of summer the way it always has, but rather towards the end of fall...that way the VZW crowd isn't going to bug out over a new release that they're not eligible for.

that makes no sense, all those VZW customers are on 2 year contracts...moving the release back a few months isn't going to make them suddenly elegible over a year early. All the VZW customers will be ineligible for upgrades for this upgrade and likely the next one (if they stick with tradition and release in summer), so if the goal was to not change anything until all the verizon customers were elegible again, we'd be looking at no new iPhone until 2013...obviously not going to happen

gcarlucci

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Herndon, VA
that makes no sense, all those VZW customers are on 2 year contracts...moving the release back a few months isn't going to make them suddenly elegible over a year early. All the VZW customers will be ineligible for upgrades for this upgrade and likely the next one (if they stick with tradition and release in summer), so if the goal was to not change anything until all the verizon customers were elegible again, we'd be looking at no new iPhone until 2013...obviously not going to happen

Atomic is offering a $100.00 version according to the email I received. It launches next month. I think its the same but instead of aluminum its made from colored transparent poly. Id imagine it would be lighter too.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
As an fyi to anyone who wants to pick up a diamondback, per the website it looks like it's officially launching on 4/15.

bighabeeb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
Have you got a chance to test one or see one in person yet?

Not just yet, no. Hoping to get ahold of one at some point - last I'd heard they were still ironing out some issues with finish before they were willing to ship out any test cases.

scelzifan

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I thought I was going to get one also but haven't heard anything about it for awhile now so who knows.
Not just yet, no. Hoping to get ahold of one at some point - last I'd heard they were still ironing out some issues with finish before they were willing to ship out any test cases.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Atomic is offering a $100.00 version according to the email I received. It launches next month. I think its the same but instead of aluminum its made from colored transparent poly. Id imagine it would be lighter too.

So this would be $100 for a plastic case? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.