Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
They make you open and activate it, but they wont make you remove the plastic.

That's not true. You can request them to not open it and that you can activate it at home. All they have to do is scan the imei into the system and that's it.

The activation is done through iTunes to register the phone with Apple, so you can definitely do everything at home.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Yo rogers fanboy.. They are a Corporation. They need to earn my trust before I care what the hell you or other Rogers faboys think..

I bet this nice blowing out of the ass speech will look good for me then you later on. My experience with rogers says they will not have them in today.

Ha ha.....wow. You really need to relax. A lot of anger built up there partner.

Gotta tell you....its just a Phone. If you have to wait a couple more days or even a week the world will go on. There are a lot more serious issues to worry about other than if your new phone is available today or monday....

:rolleyes:

Kane Hart

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Ha ha.....wow. You really need to relax. A lot of anger built up there partner.

Gotta tell you....its just a Phone. If you have to wait a couple more days or even a week the world will go on. There are a lot more serious issues to worry about other than if your new phone is available today or monday....

:rolleyes:

I could get it if I wanted to. It's not about that is about Rogers and their lies tbh lol.

I could drive to apple Monday Morning if I wanted to I do it for WoW and SC2 and iPhone 3G lol

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They make you open and activate it, but they wont make you remove the plastic.

Which store are you referring to? I did my HUP at the Apple Store and because I had some important voicemail messages which I needed to be kept on the old iPhone 3G (I did not sync that day as I was not planning to get the new phone then), they permitted me to take the iPhone 4 away without activation.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah. I just read my post. It's a confusing. Sorry. I didn't describe your tests properly. What you actually did is use Telus/Bell SIM cards with unlocked iPhones.

Here's what I really meant:

Telus/Bell SIM card may not properly work in the new iPhone, since Telus and Bell are not GSM providers. They are CDMA. Plus they are notorious for locking their equipment in any way possible. They may install on their SIM cards some kinks that prevent them to work with other operators. Surely, they support HSPA 3G frequencies, that are compatible with iPhone 4, but I wouldn't trust them. So, still it's not proper test. Proper tests would be to use unlocked Canadian iPhone with other GSM providers. I will try to use Rogers card when my friend buys new iPhone, but still those tests are not 100% accurate as well, as my iPh 4 uses Fido (same company).

Like MikeNemat mentioned earlier, you are wrong. The tests are proper.

Bell & Telus launched a UMTS/HSPA/3G network in November 2009. Their CDMA network is irrelevant in this situation. They sell/use sim cards just like any other HSPA provider.. they have no funny locks or anything else going on.. heck, even on their website they advertise ability to buy a sim and use your own device, even instructions on how to enter data settings for smartphones.

Also, if Bell/Telus were doing something funny, then how are people going to Apple to buy an unlocked iPhone and using it on Bell or Telus? The rep at the Apple store himself was using an unlocked iPhone with a Telus sim card.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
That's not true. You can request them to not open it and that you can activate it at home. All they have to do is scan the imei into the system and that's it.

The activation is done through iTunes to register the phone with Apple, so you can definitely do everything at home.

Which store are you referring to? I did my HUP at the Apple Store and because I had some important voicemail messages which I needed to be kept on the old iPhone 3G (I did not sync that day as I was not planning to get the new phone then), they permitted me to take the iPhone 4 away without activation.

It's really hit and miss. I did a HUP at the Apple store and the girl wouldnt let me leave with the sealed iPhone, she insisted on opening it to activate, saying it was impossible to leave without opening the box.. even though my friend at the next table with another rep was allowed to keep the box closed/sealed. I almost got into a bit of an argument with her and she eventually told me "Either we open it to activate or you leave and I sell it to someone else who has been waiting in line" lol...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
It's really hit and miss. I did a HUP at the Apple store and the girl wouldnt let me leave with the sealed iPhone, she insisted on opening it to activate, saying it was impossible to leave without opening the box.. even though my friend at the next table with another rep was allowed to keep the box closed/sealed. I almost got into a bit of an argument with her and she eventually told me "Either we open it to activate or you leave and I sell it to someone else who has been waiting in line" lol...

Lol yeah I guess it could be hit or miss. I work at Rogers and if the customer wants to just leave with it sealed that's fine.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Lol yeah I guess it could be hit or miss. I work at Rogers and if the customer wants to just leave with it sealed that's fine.

Thats nice of you to allow. Honestly, if the customer requests wanting to activate with iTunes at home i really don't understand the big deal.. if anything it saves time for the employees at the store to use on other things.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

Apple Store, Winnipeg. HUP. I requested to leave the box closed but I was told that wasn't allowed.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Yo rogers fanboy.. They are a Corporation. They need to earn my trust before I care what the hell you or other Rogers faboys think..

I bet this nice blowing out of the ass speech will look good for me then you later on. My experience with rogers says they will not have them in today.

rogers fan boy? perhaps you should take a look at my previous posts? idiot

far from one. i actually hate Rogers because they've ****ed me over enough times, including this years launch. so again, STOP JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

the only reason i'm still with them is because i have a killer plan..

do you expect a company to release the exact time they get their shipments on their blog? like really... :rolleyes: i can bet they already had stock before posting that because they would be screwing themselves over if there wasn't a delivery late Friday/Saturday.

Ryvius819

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the reply everyone, planning to get it sometime next week. Apple store should get stocks daily right? Also, is the power support anti-glare screen protector available in the apple store?

EbolaMonkey

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Anyone been to Sherway or Square One Apple stores in the last couple days? I'd call them, but I'm sick of the rude attitude I get on the phone when "customer service" reps hear me ask about the iPhone 4. Here's a call I made to a nearby Rogers store today:

me: Hi there, your wireless rep told me there was an outside chance you might be getting a couple iPhone 4's on Monday, so -

him: no.

me: Yeah anyway, I was really just wondering if you get trucks at a certain time on Mondays, or -

him: we aren't getting any iPhones on Monday.

me: What I'm wondering is if there's a fixed delivery time on Mondays.

him: I get trucks any time of the day 7 days a week. And I'm telling you I won't have any iPhones on Monday.

me: Alright, thanks

him: *click*

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Everyone please comment and reply and make new threads at the rogers forums. Lets not give into their lies!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Apple_Devices/thread-id/148

If you hate Rogers so mush, why dont you cancel the contract and use another provider like Telus or Bell? Get your hate out of this thread. The rest of teh people dont care. If a possible shipment of phones to stores is making you this unstable, maybe you need to be commited or something. It's just a phone. Geez....

crazycanucks

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah. I just read my post. It's a confusing. Sorry. I didn't describe your tests properly. What you actually did is use Telus/Bell SIM cards with unlocked iPhones.

Here's what I really meant:

Telus/Bell SIM card may not properly work in the new iPhone, since Telus and Bell are not GSM providers. They are CDMA. Plus they are notorious for locking their equipment in any way possible. They may install on their SIM cards some kinks that prevent them to work with other operators. Surely, they support HSPA 3G frequencies, that are compatible with iPhone 4, but I wouldn't trust them. So, still it's not proper test. Proper tests would be to use unlocked Canadian iPhone with other GSM providers. I will try to use Rogers card when my friend buys new iPhone, but still those tests are not 100% accurate as well, as my iPh 4 uses Fido (same company).

Bell and Telus upgraded thier networks to HSPA, so they can use GSM phones. the reason why this was fast tracked was the Olympics was coming to Vancouver in Feb 2010 and Bell was the Official telecom provider. With them being on the CDMA network, they would not have made any money on the roaming from all the visitors, and that would have all gone to Rogers as most of the world uses GSM phones. Bell and Telus share the HSPA network they built.

There is no CDMA version of the iPhone yet.

Get your facts straight before coming here and knocking what everyone is telling you is fact....

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone been to Sherway or Square One Apple stores in the last couple days? I'd call them, but I'm sick of the rude attitude I get on the phone when "customer service" reps hear me ask about the iPhone 4. Here's a call I made to a nearby Rogers store today:

me: Hi there, your wireless rep told me there was an outside chance you might be getting a couple iPhone 4's on Monday, so -

him: no.

me: Yeah anyway, I was really just wondering if you get trucks at a certain time on Mondays, or -

him: we aren't getting any iPhones on Monday.

me: What I'm wondering is if there's a fixed delivery time on Mondays.

him: I get trucks any time of the day 7 days a week. And I'm telling you I won't have any iPhones on Monday.

me: Alright, thanks

him: *click*

What do you expect? I'm sure that 9/10 calls they receive is about the iP4. It must be driving them crazy.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
What do you expect? I'm sure that 9/10 calls they receive is about the iP4. It must be driving them crazy.

Too bad.

What he expects (I assume): a rep who is both polite and courteous to every customer, no matter what the customer wants. When I worked in customer service, that was the minimum expectation from every employee. Why shouldn't that be so now?

gaofun

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Does anyone have problems with the proximity sensor and their cheek accidentally hitting buttons while they're in a call?

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2010
Too bad.

What he expects (I assume): a rep who is both polite and courteous to every customer, no matter what the customer wants. When I worked in customer service, that was the minimum expectation from every employee. Why shouldn't that be so now?

Exactly. You shouldnt be working there if these expected things piss you off. Every customer deserves to be treated respectfully and anything lower is not acceptable.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone have problems with the proximity sensor and their cheek accidentally hitting buttons while they're in a call?

Always muting someone... Just so happens to be when my mom calls, sometimes I actually enjoy it. :p

gaofun

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Always muting someone... Just so happens to be when my mom calls, sometimes I actually enjoy it. :p

Its quite a pain in the butt though eh.. You have to hold it in another certain position again I guess.

The death grip legacy continues...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.