Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
Don't exploit her TOO much....just a little to get what YOU want....Hopefully it'll work out for you LOL

With that being said, showing a bit of skin has never worked for me. I guess being a guy has it's downsides too :p

she wants one just as bad as I do...so no harm in her grabbing 2 while she is there getting one for herself right right? I wish I wasn't a iPhone loser and needed to have one first before anybody else around me...its a sickness, I'm so sick!!!!!!!!!!!

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
i'm guessing the providers are getting smart with these people calling in and saying they'll cancel their plan if they don't get a good deal. and i think they are taking action by telling the reps that they don't do special deals and when people quit, then they take in the cancelation fees.

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
What did you use as a guide?
Did any of the "golden" part get lost in the process?

The golden part looks like big on my Bell SIM.

A bit of the golden part on the left edge of the card got cut. But it's OK, a regular SIM has more contacts than a microSIM. Fortunately the only contacts that are actually needed are in the center and don't get cut.

I used this guide here: http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Co..._a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver.html

Mine didn't turn out as well as the guide, but pretty damn close, and it still works flawlessly!

Just as an FYI, you might want to write down the SIM card ID number on the SIM before cutting it down just in case you end up needing it for some reason. I know that with Rogers, the number is written on the part that got cut off. Not sure with Bell...

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
You guys know if the new microSims will be included with the phones? Or are we going to have to shell out some more cash for them? As in buy it on top of everything.

Nemoh

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
Questions:
So I'll be going at Bestbuy tomorrow morning and I was wondering if anyone knows how it works with the different carriers. I'm new to the world of smartphones and like do the people at best buy have a list of all the plans with all the different carriers or do I have to know them or do I only choose the carrier I want and call them or something??

And can I pay everything with my debit card or is it like applestore do I need a credit card to buy the iphone and to pay my monthly fees?

thx

Bump

Xanderhoff

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
officially less than 24 hours to go. good stuff!! hopefully I can fall asleep at 10pm tonight haha

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
A bit of the golden part on the left edge of the card got cut. But it's OK, a regular SIM has more contacts than a microSIM. Fortunately the only contacts that are actually needed are in the center and don't get cut.

I used this guide here: http://www.johnbenson.net/How_to_Co..._a_SIM_to_a_MicroSIM_with_a_Meat_Cleaver.html

Mine didn't turn out as well as the guide, but pretty damn close, and it still works flawlessly!

Just as an FYI, you might want to write down the SIM card ID number on the SIM before cutting it down just in case you end up needing it for some reason. I know that with Rogers, the number is written on the part that got cut off. Not sure with Bell...

Thanks for the link. I plan on cutting up my SIM card as a back up. Cause the iPhone should come with a micro-sim already. I will just go online and change the SIM card numbers. I just hope Bell lets me change the SIM card number to a micro-SIM without the whole, "Not allowed cause you don't have a qualifying plan" BS.

electro_cute

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
Can I Buy Unlocked Mid-Contract?

Hey guys,

First of all I would like to thank you for such a great forum to get all of our iPhone4 questions answered. I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I am currently with Telus and I have 17 months remaining on my 3yr contract. Telus has offered me $300 off the regular iPhone price if I renew into another 3yr. I don't have an iPhone right now (BlackBerry and BlackBerry plan).

What I'm wondering is... if I buy an unlocked iPhone4 from the Apple Store would Telus let me activate it and switch my plan to an iPhone plan even though I am in the middle of my contract?

I am tempted to buy unlocked as $300 off is not much of an incentive.

Please let me know. Thanks!

BTW - I will be lining up at the Pacific Centre Apple Store in Vancouver tonight in case anyone wants to say hi - follow me on Twitter for updates - @pixelatedmind

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/19.886; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

If you get it locked it will be free. If you get it unlocked then you have to pay when you activate but it depends on the store. If you activate it right away at the Apple store they should throw it in free for you since you just gave them $700!

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/19.886; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

electro_cute said:
Hey guys,

First of all I would like to thank you for such a great forum to get all of our iPhone4 questions answered. I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I am currently with Telus and I have 17 months remaining on my 3yr contract. Telus has offered me $300 off the regular iPhone price if I renew into another 3yr. I don't have an iPhone right now (BlackBerry and BlackBerry plan).

What I'm wondering is... if I buy an unlocked iPhone4 from the Apple Store would Telus let me activate it and switch my plan to an iPhone plan even though I am in the middle of my contract?

BTW - I will be lining up at the Pacific Centre Apple Store in Vancouver tonight in case anyone wants to say hi - follow me on Twitter for updates - @pixelatedmind

$300 isnt much but if you go this route they can switch it easily with no probs.

trilaemasu

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hey guys,

Telus allows you to change plans without messing with the contract. My girlfriend went from a simple calling time only plan with a RAZR to a blackberry plan in the middle of the contract when she was able to obtain a Curve.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Any thoughts as to when Rogers will release their plans and prices. Its the day before now. They would have to release them today if they want to avoid pissing alot of us off- not that i think they would really care.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010

I am hoping it happens in the next hour ir two!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey everyone!

I have a question or two I could use some answering on...

I'm trying to update all my apps today and have noticed a huge amount of them don't say "ios 4.0 tested"

Some of the apps haven't had an update for a couple months....way before ios 4 came out.

If the app doesn't say ios 4 tested am I to assume they won't support any sort of multi-tasking? Or any other feature 4.0 offers to apps?

If that's the case, I don't even think I'll install them on my iPhone 4 until they're compatible.

Will you put apps on your IP4 if they're not 4.0 tested?

ALSO.....if I go through say Wireless Wave to do my IP4 upgrade will they supply me with a micro sim or would I then have to go over to the Rogers store and purchase one after Wireless Wave??

Thanks in advance to however answers!

So who's lining up before 6 A.M. tomorrow???

etceteraism

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
What time are people heading to PC mall? I'll be heading there with my boyfriend sometime in the middle of the night-I'm just not sure where exactly to line up.

And I thought I read somewhere that plans would be put up around 930AM PST? Or maybe it was 1030..either way, soon.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010

Wireless Wave will give you a micro sim card free no probs with that

And you are correct apps not tested for iOS4 do not support multitasking.

sportsfreak

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
I dont think i may get one tomorrow :( I am trying to sort out problems with my plan and all. And I wont be home this weekend, going to the states. So I'm not too sure when i can get a phone.

Im not the primary account holder and that person is not even in the country. so I dont know if i can upgrade my line seeing that we have a slew of mixed responses here.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hey everyone!

I have a question or two I could use some answering on...

I'm trying to update all my apps today and have noticed a huge amount of them don't say "ios 4.0 tested"

Some of the apps haven't had an update for a couple months....way before ios 4 came out.

If the app doesn't say ios 4 tested am I to assume they won't support any sort of multi-tasking? Or any other feature 4.0 offers to apps?

If that's the case, I don't even think I'll install them on my iPhone 4 until they're compatible.

Will you put apps on your IP4 if they're not 4.0 tested?

ALSO.....if I go through say Wireless Wave to do my IP4 upgrade will they supply me with a micro sim or would I then have to go over to the Rogers store and purchase one after Wireless Wave??

Thanks in advance to however answers!

So who's lining up before 6 A.M. tomorrow???

If they're not iOS 4 tested I would think they should still work fine.. just they won't take advantage of the fast app switching API or other new options..

I'm thinking of hiting an Apple store around 5 or so.. I've seen people mention they've already gotten a micro sim. I wonder if we're able to pick them up already from the dealers?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
If they're not iOS 4 tested I would think they should still work fine.. just they won't take advantage of the fast app switching API or other new options..

I'm thinking of hiting an Apple store around 5 or so.. I've seen people mention they've already gotten a micro sim. I wonder if we're able to pick them up already from the dealers?

i hope there not ipad sims....those are preactivated and useless for the iphone 4 :p

etceteraism

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
For the people calling retentions....

They probably know that all these people are trying to call in to negotiate their plans before the new iPhone comes out-especially if you already have a smartphone on account. That's why I called 3wks ago to get a retention plan in place.

You need to do your research first too-don't just say "give me a retention plan"-I told them that my contract is up and I think I could get a better deal elsewhere-I described the plans WIND had and their 50% off deal and the customer service rep put me on hold then transferred me to retentions. I pretty much got offered exactly what I wanted right away, I just had to hassle him a bit to include fido to rogers calling. They will ask you about the "better plan" you were offered though, so be prepared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.