Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Alright. Ive read what some of you have to say and im going to provide my input as its all criticism which is good but there are some good and bad things on this system.

Firstly, lets start with the pros,

I think the trackpad design is amazing. I personally own a Macbook 3,1 and i like having having a separate button from the trackpad. I hate the current ones where i click it down shifting the cursor. The fact that the new trackpad doesnt click but gives me that feeling in my opinion is neat. i cannot wait to try it out.

The new keyboard. If this design really does reduce the shift of keys I believe its amazing.

The layout of the motherboard- Coming from my standpoint where i launch a simple youtube video or get on facebook and my fans blast because of flash, i know how annoying fans and batteries can get. For Intel to come out with a CPU that creates little to no heat eliminating the need for a heat sink is in my opinion astonishing. Back in the 90's most CPus had a small heat sink of nothing at all. My parents first 386 had a tiny heatsink and to the touch it was warm but not burning. So for Intel to do this and apple to take this and create it i think it amazing.

Finally the weight and dimensions. For machines to get this small and yet just as powerful is something of amazement. We complain now about 5 pound laptops yet the first portables where 20 pounds if not more.

HOWEVER, as a few of you pointed out it does have some things we do not like, so the Cons-

USB C- As an owner of a few Imac G3's and my Macbook 3,1 ive always hated that apple only has 2 USB plugs on these systems. As my main apple and windows Machine i do a lot with External hard drives, internal hard drives connected to a SATA TO USB when servicing computers and i found i had to switch to a bluetooth mouse because i needed the USB. Being a computer technician ive seen many USB plugs on both Laptops and desktops damaged due to wear and tear or even trying to plug a USB incorrectly into it. So having one USB i think to apple is a little sad.

The adapters- we had the same issues when the iphone 5 was released. All our gadgets became obsolete and many claimed apple should have given us the $35 dollar adapter free for anyone who upgraded. I find apple is veering away from simplicity from the customers side to simplicity to their side in making $$. Anyone who buys this computer for more then just a browsing machine to replace their netbook will need this. Not only did apple only provide one usb for everything but they wont even provide the adapter with the purchase.

The new Intel M chip. As ive mentioned i still use a macbook 3,1 running an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2Ghz with a 4Mb L2 Cache. For a Core 2 Duo thats a decently fast chip. Now im not entirely sure what exact model Of Intel M the macbook will have but ive read up that it features a L3 2mb Cache. Although its a higher cache its half of my old timer and runs at a clock speed at 1.3 Ghz i believe. In the terms of speed the INtel M is situated between the intel ATom and Pentium series in performance. To me thats sad that apple would use such a chip. Its a slower chip. Steve jobs had high prices for decent specked machines. But a machine thats lower on the scale then a PENTIUM?

FINALLY- The price. When my macbook was new in December 2007, I paid $1499 for it. It had almost the same CPU chip as the next model Macbook pro just a smaller MUCH smaller video card and only 1gb of ram versus 2. This model Ships starting at $1549. WOW and you still have to haul out another $79 for the adapter. The macbooks where always the lower end machines. Then why is it priced $500 more then the Macbook air? Because of its design. But at least with the Air you get an i5, 2 USBs and a SEPERATE power jack.

So i say to apple. Give us 2 USBs plus a power jack offer a better CPU and lower the price! like come on. Let me know what you think of my opinion.

For that price you get as standard a superfast four lane PCIe SSD with samsungs latest silicon with 256GB and 8gb of 1866GHZ fast RAM, Brand new amazing Core M processor with stunning thermals and a fanless design. I completely understand the price and actually thought those specs would be more expensive. Yes it's not going to have any more performance than an air but when it is that small light and silent thats more than good enough.

I am not going to buy one it's not for me but it is brilliant for what it is.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
That lenovo dont come near the design external and internal of the MBA.
i think this one in 2 years will be from 1099$

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
I'll point it out again, the current 11" MBA does not have a SD card reader either.

I guess I was wrong when I assumed the 12" rMB is a replacement for those who use the 11" MBA because of the more compact size.

It appears what the author of this thread wants is a rMBP which weighs 2 lbs, is thin, runs an i7 2. something ghz processor, has a battery life of 15 hours, a 1TB SSD, built in LAN... and the most important thing costs less than $1,000. US

I was hoping Apple would have made it a touch screen version of OSX, but I was also wrong here too.

I guess we have all had our dreams crushed in the 12" MB. ;)

comda,

Your $1499 in 2007 is worth $1705 in 2014, adjusted for inflation, and the new 12" rMB would cost $1345 in 2007 dollars.

Last edited:

Talbot

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
  1. One (1) USB-C port <- I call that usability sadism 'Designed in California' I call this a thinner laptop. This isn't a mac pro. This is for people with a mac pro at home or your mom who only surfs the web.
  2. product is designed with focus on obsolescence (USB-C port breaks -> dead laptop) If the charging port dies on any laptop it is dead.
  3. you, your pet/kid/colleague trip over the cable -> dead laptop, because no MagSafe I've had magsafe for 4 years and I usually am just smart about where I put the cable.
  4. can't run an external HDD and charge simultaneously -> battery dies during file transfer, files are f* Use airdrop. It's not like you are going to be transferring r3d footage or something.
  5. can't use an ergonomic/precise 7-8 button gaming mouse, because there are no USB-C models available yet (for Photoshop/Illustrator, duh) You shouldn't be doing any of those things on this laptop in the first place. I've never met a graphic designer who uses a gaming mouse. But also there is a usb adaptor.
  6. can't download pictures/HD videos from your DSLR, because no SD-card slot Actually there is a port on the camera for direct downloading. And if you are shooting HD or RAW you probably aren't editing on this anyway.
  7. have to carry bazillion adapters with you (with total weight as heavy as the new MacBook itself) to get through the day/meetings on a business trip So you are saying you want to add more weight for more ports on the laptop because you are complaining about carrying an adaptor? I would rather have the option to go lighter.
  8. can't charge your iPhone and/or iPad via the MacBook while it is charging itself (without relying on the above mentioned big ugly adapters) Big ugly adaptors? They are the same as they have been for years. Also plug into a wall like a smart person.
  9. the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C port replicator dongle is not shipped with the new Mac ( pay $80 extra for today's common standards -> blatant scam) As I've said above most people aren't going to be plugging a lot in. Scam? Giving you the option instead of raising the price? Each of the apple adaptors is usually $30. You get 3 for 80. If they were to include it they would round the price up to an added $100. Also its $80 on a 1300+ laptop.
  10. can't run an external display without a big/fat/expensive adapter (and charge battery) So its big and fat now? I agree it would be nice to add a display. Maybe that will change.
  11. can't connect a graphics tablet (e.g. Wacom) directly It's a new port that Wacom will be adapting to. You can connect it so don't make this sound like adding the adaptor is impossible. Also sorry but again, not many people will be using a tablet on this laptop.
  12. can't have a nice FaceTime/Skype call, because your front camera is 480p An expensive meal with a ****** person is still a ****** meal.
  13. can't have a shiny apple logo glowing in the dark on the back of your screen (hey, this is important too :D) Go buy a glow stick.
  14. can't plug in any common USB stick directly, so can't share files without a WiFi network (e.g from your friends/colleagues/Windows PC ) Again its a new port. In a year there will be a ton of adaptors because the port isn't owned by apple. But at this point you are just stretching your adaptor point.
  15. can't use your over-expensive Thunderbolt display Over expensive? Sounds like you didn't buy it so I'm not going to care. ALSO you are repeating the same point AGAIN.
  16. can't use any of your Thunderbolt peripherals (e.g. for file storage) You're right. I wish I could connect my thunderbolt drobo up. But oh wait it has usb 3 so I'll be able to. ALSO you are repeating the same point AGAIN.
  17. can't run two displays Who the hell will be connecting two displays? You already said you can't connect 1... are you just going to make a point for every number of connections you want to make?
  18. can't satisfy you with port comfort out of the box Is this like the conclusion to all your points? Lets make connecting stuff to your computer sound like its not going to satisfy you sexually?

When it comes down to it you are angry about nothing. If you want more ports go buy a Macbook pro. They are roughly the same price. Stop bashing on stuff that clearly isn't meant for you and wasting your life. Go create something awesome with your extra ports and monitors. Seriously. Because those of us who use our computers as tools of creation don't go around bashing stuff in threads. They stay positive and move on. Apple is providing plenty of options for you and you shouldn't get angry because they don't update their entire lineup of macs in the same event.

----------

Also you are on a mac forum. Look back at the first Air that didn't have a DVD drive. Everyone in the world was pissed. Today? Nobody cares. At what point do you start trusting the company that you are dedicating time to writing about in a forum?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
When it comes down to it you are angry about nothing. If you want more ports go buy a Macbook pro. They are roughly the same price. Stop bashing on stuff that clearly isn't meant for you and wasting your life. Go create something awesome with your extra ports and monitors. Seriously. Because those of us who use our computers as tools of creation don't go around bashing stuff in threads. They stay positive and move on. Apple is providing plenty of options for you and you shouldn't get angry because they don't update their entire lineup of macs in the same event.

----------

Also you are on a mac forum. Look back at the first Air that didn't have a DVD drive. Everyone in the world was pissed. Today? Nobody cares. At what point do you start trusting the company that you are dedicating time to writing about in a forum?

well put :cool:

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
giant-cheerleader-catfight-meme-generator-one-usb-c-port-this-macbook-wasn-t-made-for-you-e98b36.jpg

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
  1. One (1) USB-C port <- I call that usability sadism 'Designed in California' I call this a thinner laptop.
  1. Actually, there are at least two laptops that are thinner than the new Macbook and still manage to have multiple USB ports (and they are even the bigger Type-A ones).

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
  1. One (1) USB-C port <- I call that usability sadism 'Designed in California' I call this a thinner laptop. This isn't a mac pro. This is for people with a mac pro at home or your mom who only surfs the web.
  2. product is designed with focus on obsolescence (USB-C port breaks -> dead laptop) If the charging port dies on any laptop it is dead.
  3. you, your pet/kid/colleague trip over the cable -> dead laptop, because no MagSafe I've had magsafe for 4 years and I usually am just smart about where I put the cable.
  4. can't run an external HDD and charge simultaneously -> battery dies during file transfer, files are f* Use airdrop. It's not like you are going to be transferring r3d footage or something.
  5. can't use an ergonomic/precise 7-8 button gaming mouse, because there are no USB-C models available yet (for Photoshop/Illustrator, duh) You shouldn't be doing any of those things on this laptop in the first place. I've never met a graphic designer who uses a gaming mouse. But also there is a usb adaptor.
  6. can't download pictures/HD videos from your DSLR, because no SD-card slot Actually there is a port on the camera for direct downloading. And if you are shooting HD or RAW you probably aren't editing on this anyway.
  7. have to carry bazillion adapters with you (with total weight as heavy as the new MacBook itself) to get through the day/meetings on a business trip So you are saying you want to add more weight for more ports on the laptop because you are complaining about carrying an adaptor? I would rather have the option to go lighter.
  8. can't charge your iPhone and/or iPad via the MacBook while it is charging itself (without relying on the above mentioned big ugly adapters) Big ugly adaptors? They are the same as they have been for years. Also plug into a wall like a smart person.
  9. the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C port replicator dongle is not shipped with the new Mac ( pay $80 extra for today's common standards -> blatant scam) As I've said above most people aren't going to be plugging a lot in. Scam? Giving you the option instead of raising the price? Each of the apple adaptors is usually $30. You get 3 for 80. If they were to include it they would round the price up to an added $100. Also its $80 on a 1300+ laptop.
  10. can't run an external display without a big/fat/expensive adapter (and charge battery) So its big and fat now? I agree it would be nice to add a display. Maybe that will change.
  11. can't connect a graphics tablet (e.g. Wacom) directly It's a new port that Wacom will be adapting to. You can connect it so don't make this sound like adding the adaptor is impossible. Also sorry but again, not many people will be using a tablet on this laptop.
  12. can't have a nice FaceTime/Skype call, because your front camera is 480p An expensive meal with a ****** person is still a ****** meal.
  13. can't have a shiny apple logo glowing in the dark on the back of your screen (hey, this is important too :D) Go buy a glow stick.
  14. can't plug in any common USB stick directly, so can't share files without a WiFi network (e.g from your friends/colleagues/Windows PC ) Again its a new port. In a year there will be a ton of adaptors because the port isn't owned by apple. But at this point you are just stretching your adaptor point.
  15. can't use your over-expensive Thunderbolt display Over expensive? Sounds like you didn't buy it so I'm not going to care. ALSO you are repeating the same point AGAIN.
  16. can't use any of your Thunderbolt peripherals (e.g. for file storage) You're right. I wish I could connect my thunderbolt drobo up. But oh wait it has usb 3 so I'll be able to. ALSO you are repeating the same point AGAIN.
  17. can't run two displays Who the hell will be connecting two displays? You already said you can't connect 1... are you just going to make a point for every number of connections you want to make?
  18. can't satisfy you with port comfort out of the box Is this like the conclusion to all your points? Lets make connecting stuff to your computer sound like its not going to satisfy you sexually?

You are basically saying that we shouldn't criticise because this new macbook is only good for things any iPad can do. (Airdrop is soooo slooooowwwwww - it's basically unusable for anything but tiny files)

----------

Also you are on a mac forum. Look back at the first Air that didn't have a DVD drive. Everyone in the world was pissed. Today?
What? CDs started becoming obsolete in 2005. Only weirdos ever complained about the Air not sporting an optical drive. USB ports onthe other hand are not obsolete whatsoever. And for professional use thunderbolt is necessary.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
You are basically saying that we shouldn't criticise because this new macbook is only good for things any iPad can do. (Airdrop is soooo slooooowwwwww - it's basically unusable for anything but tiny files)

----------

What? CDs started becoming obsolete in 2005. Only weirdos ever complained about the Air not sporting an optical drive. USB ports onthe other hand are not obsolete whatsoever. And for professional use thunderbolt is necessary.

They have an adapter for that. I like having the ability to tack on things as I need them rather than being stuck with a whole bunch of things even when I'm not planning to use them. Apple gave us options and flexibility to extend the use of our rMBs when we need to.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
They have an adapter for that. I like having the ability to tack on things as I need them rather than being stuck with a whole bunch of things even when I'm not planning to use them. Apple gave us options and flexibility to extend the use of our rMBs when we need to.
There is no usb-c to thunderbolt adapter.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
You are basically saying that we shouldn't criticise because this new macbook is only good for things any iPad can do. (Airdrop is soooo slooooowwwwww - it's basically unusable for anything but tiny files

Is the iPad your answer to everything?

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Not Apple's fault...mine for being poor Canadian

(all prices in Cdn)

$1549 base price
$279 apple care (based on cost for applecare for 13" 2015 mac book price)
$5 B.C recycle fee
$79 adapter (power/usb/hdmi or vga...pretty much a needed given)
total=$1912
%12 Government taxes=$229.44

total=$2141.44 Canadian OUCH!

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"i think this one in 2 years will be from 1099$ "

Of course it will be, because another newer model will be on sale.

;)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Another pointless post regarding the new "MacBook" if you don't like it, don't buy it, nothing`s going to change by all this continuous wining on forums. Certainly it wont change what Apple thinks, nor what Apple does.

Aside my own concerns both positive and negative, same as all previous Apple Notebooks the new Macbook will evolve in time. The first Air was near unusable, the 15" Pro`s had and still do have questionable cooling, and a track record for dGPU reliability that`s tragic at best.

It`s been a significant time since Apple released a new portable so expectations are literally stratospheric across the community. All patiently waiting for the release, however for many the new "MacBook" is far off the mark, as their personal expectations are simply unrealistic, versus Apple`s direction for this new Mac.

The stark reality is without any real world reviews none of us have any idea how well this platform will perform. Yes the new MacBook wont be challenging your maxed out 15" Retina MacBook Pro, equally it might just be good enough for what Apple intended it`s usage to be...

I for one want to hear about the tech and what people are accomplishing with this new Mac, not droning on how it wont meet their personal needs, given like as not they wont even buy one.

Seriously it`s just boring...

Q-6

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I'm going to say, look...
Above all, there's a lot of reasons this device is not good for me. There's a lot of reasons it might be good for someone else.

However,
Why would you kill the power port? That's insane.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I'm going to say, look...
Above all, there's a lot of reasons this device is not good for me. There's a lot of reasons it might be good for someone else.

However,
Why would you kill the power port? That's insane.

It seems to me that the logical thing for Apple to have done here is make a USB connection available on the adapter (power brick) such they when you charge the rMB you automatically gain the USB port you lost when plugging in.

I pay $100 for this Apple sold it as an accessory that would allow me to avoid the adapter

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
For all the reasons I would NEVER consider purchasing this laptop, the market is there. People who don't really care about computers and they just need one to browse the web and such will love it.

I know people who don't even own a jump drive or any accessories at all. Their laptop is in a bag and they grab it when then need to use the web for something.

For those light users, this thing is great. But then again, for those users, a $400 computer would work too.

Whatever works.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
As others have done, I'll comment on why each of those points are okay for me. To sum it up, these might be issues for some people, but are far from issues for everyone.

One (1) USB-C port <- I call that usability sadism 'Designed in California'
What's wrong with that? I can't remember the last time I actually plugged something into my Mac. For the majority of things people say they need ports for, there are wireless solutions. For the remaining, if you have to connect multiple things in at once, this computer probably isn't for you.
product is designed with focus on obsolescence (USB-C port breaks -> dead laptop)
That's true with any charger. I actually look forward to this because it will give me the chance to get multiple or replacement chargers for far less than the $80 that the magsafe chargers are. I can't count how many of those I've gone through over the years.
you, your pet/kid/colleague trip over the cable -> dead laptop, because no MagSafe
Doubtful. The rMB will probably last me all day and I'll only have to plug it in at night in a place where no one would be walking anyway. Even if it was pulled off a table, It'd probably be fine as there are no internal moving parts.
can't run an external HDD and charge simultaneously -> battery dies during file transfer, files are f*
Sure you can. I use externals now and don't connect them to my MBP. I use both purpose built NAS that I can access across the web or Externals that are connected to my router. Even if I did want to connect an external drive to my rMB, I can't imagine what I'd be moving that would take so much time that the computer might die while I was transferring files. If you are moving that much data to the rMB, you probably aren't in the targeted market.
can't use an ergonomic/precise 7-8 button gaming mouse, because there are no USB-C models available yet (for Photoshop/Illustrator, duh)
This isn't targeted for Photoshop users. Either way, bluetooth mice can be very precise, I believe you're talking more about response rate, which isn't bad enough on a bluetooth mouse to be a detractor for photoshop users. This isn't a gaming computer.
can't download pictures/HD videos from your DSLR, because no SD-card slot
have to carry bazillion adapters with you (with total weight as heavy as the new MacBook itself) to get through the day/meetings on a business trip

I don't have a DSLR, even if I did I wouldn't be importing photos when I was out and about, so why would I have to carry a connector with me? Carrying a connector would be no sweat compared to all that camera gear. You could also just use wifi SD cards.

can't charge your iPhone and/or iPad via the MacBook while it is charging itself (without relying on the above mentioned big ugly adapters)
I don't do this. Do people do this? Why?

the HDMI/USB-A/USB-C port replicator dongle is not shipped with the new Mac ( pay $80 extra for today's common standards -> blatant scam)
I won't need an adapter. I don't need to connect anything that use those ports. Cheaper options will come out.

can't run an external display without a big/fat/expensive adapter (and charge battery)
And I won't run an external with this computer.

can't connect a graphics tablet (e.g. Wacom) directly
Pretty specific use case. Doesn't apply to me. Solutions will come out. This is the same tired argument that people make whenever new standards are adopted.

can't have a nice FaceTime/Skype call, because your front camera is 480p
That is a little bit frustrating, admittedly, but it isn't the end of the world. 480p still looks pretty good (good enough) on small screens.
can't have a shiny apple logo glowing in the dark on the back of your screen (hey, this is important too )
No its not, and I'm actually relieved. The illuminated Apple logo shines through the screen in certain conditions.
can't plug in any common USB stick directly, so can't share files without a WiFi network (e.g from your friends/colleagues/Windows PC )
I can still share via airdrop, which is what I use primarily, if I don't use that I usually send it as an attachment. If its too big for email, I use some cloud drive.
can't use your over-expensive Thunderbolt display
I don't have one.
can't use any of your Thunderbolt peripherals (e.g. for file storage)
I don't have any.
can't run two displays
I don't with my laptop
can't satisfy you with port comfort out of the box
what is port comfort?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.