Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Did you get the time machine out to find that quote? ;) :D

----------

I don't think you need to have much computer spec knowledge. The only question that matters is will it do what you want it to do in a way that you feel comfortable doing it? The keyboard could be brilliant - or a fail. Same for the trackpad. Some will love it/them, some will not. It's all good. Too many people seem to think things have to be black or white - gray is ok.

Except when you're signing an audit report... :eek: :)

Lucky I'm in taxes ;)

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't claim to know what a "professional" notebook is

A professional Notebook is the right hardware for the job. MacBook Pro etc. is simply marketing, nothing more, nothing less. At the end of the day you judge people in a professional environment by the quality of their work and ethnics, not the hardware they use...

Personally I`m pleased that the MBPr no longer has "MacBook Pro" on the display, I choose to use Mac`s in a professional environment as the hardware and software is right for my needs, equally I have no issue with Windows. A computer, it`s applications and underlying OS is just a tool to get the job done.

Q-6

Last edited:

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I'm an accountant and we would never use something like this at work. Macs just don't have the software able to run our programs. I mean we use i7's at work and sometimes even that can be a little slow.

- snip -

So this is probably worth less than my 2 cents.

Sorry, but I am afraid that last sentence self assessment of your post's contribution was the most sensible bit.

Are you honestly saying that your firm's software solutions for CRM, timing and billing reporting, assurance services management for doing financial statement compilations, reviews, and audits, as well as tax, are so extremely CPU intensive and bleeding edge to the point that Intel's best processors are having trouble keeping up with a detailed fixed assets depreciation schedule, or that derivative financial instrument forecasting model, or finding you the latest FASB guidance on FAS 123r - Accounting for Stock Based Compensation and Share Base Payment to make adjustments to your Black Scholes stock compensation expense calculator???

Back when I was in public accounting I was one of my firm's leaders in our power users group for the CCH Prosystems fx Suite, as you may well know is an industry leader among mid-sized to larger regional and national firms, and I can tell you for fact there is nothing there that a new Macbook bootcamping into Win 8.1 couldn't breeze past without a second thought.

You're software must be your problem, not the hardware running it.

Last edited:

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Sorry, but I am afraid that last sentence self assessment of your post's contribution was the most sensible bit.

Are you honestly saying that your firm's software solutions for CRM, timing and billing reporting, assurance services management for doing financial statement compilations, reviews, and audits, as well as tax, are so extremely CPU intensive and bleeding edge to the point that Intel's best processors are having trouble keeping up with a detailed fixed assets depreciation schedule, or that derivative financial instrument forecasting model, or finding you the latest FASB guidance on FAS 123r - Accounting for Stock Based Compensation and Share Base Payment to make adjustments to your Black Scholes stock compensation expense calculator???

Back when I was in public accounting I was one of my firm's leaders in our power users group for the CCH Prosystems fx Suite, as you may well know is an industry leader among mid-sized to larger regional and national firms, and I can tell you for fact there is nothing there that a new Macbook bootcamping into Win 8.1 couldn't breeze past without a second thought.

You're software must be your problem, not the hardware running it.

Easy there, bud. I told I'm not computer expert. We do use Prosystems for everything. I meant in a way that we WOULDN'T use a Mac.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
7. have to carry bazillion adapters with you
One for USB & HDMI, (will also charge your iPhone)
One for USB & VGA
Maybe one for Thunderbolt/Display

17. can't run two displays
Apple Store specs for Macbook
"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

I already have to carry a VGA adapter with my MBP so adding an HDMI adapter is no big deal.

Still waiting for a decent Thunderbolt dock for my MBP after 2 years so that is no loss.

So the new MB is looking promising for business travel

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
A professional Notebook is the right hardware for the job. MacBook Pro etc. is simply marketing, nothing more, nothing less. At the end of the day you judge people in a professional environment by the quality of their work and ethnics, not the hardware they use...

Personally I`m pleased that the MBPr no longer has "MacBook Pro" on the display, I choose to use Mac`s in a professional environment as the hardware and software is right for my needs, equally I have no issue with Windows. A computer and it`s applications and underlying OS is just a tool to get the job done.

Q-6

That was sort of my point...in any case, you know from prior posts that we're on exactly the same frequency on this issue. :)

----------

7. have to carry bazillion adapters with you
One for USB & HDMI, (will also charge your iPhone)
One for USB & VGA
Maybe one for Thunderbolt/Display

17. can't run two displays
Apple Store specs for Macbook
"Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

I already have to carry a VGA adapter with my MBP so adding an HDMI adapter is no big deal.

Still waiting for a decent Thunderbolt dock for my MBP after 2 years so that is no loss.

So the new MB is looking promising for business travel

Thunderbolt dock - would this work ($119)? http://hengedocks.com/pages/vertical-macbook-pro-retina

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Since the new rMB uses a USB-C connector (that is going to be more standard), I suspect we will be more likely to see a rMB docking station before the MBP sees one.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It's as capable as a 2011 MBA, which can do most of what today's systems can do. It just won't do it as fast as a 2015 MBP, but we knew that.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
That was sort of my point...in any case, you know from prior posts that we're on exactly the same frequency on this issue. :)

----------

Thunderbolt dock - would this work ($119)? http://hengedocks.com/pages/vertical-macbook-pro-retina

The Henge Dock has severe limitations for my needs. See
https://discussions.apple.com/message/27798000?tstart=0#27798000

See this Macworld review of USB-C
http://www.macworld.com/article/289...r-new-connection-overlord-get-used-to-it.html

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I guess you've never heard of memory card readers......that's all you need as far as photos go. Plug USB3 memory card reader into the machine's USB-C port and download all the images off your card on to the computer, and boom, you're done.

Bring enough adpaters and dongles, and boom, a fully working laptop :)

----------

Since the new rMB uses a USB-C connector (that is going to be more standard), I suspect we will be more likely to see a rMB docking station before the MBP sees one.

It could be a while before USB-C becomes a standard, be a while before its mainstream.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It could be a while before USB-C becomes a standard, be a while before its mainstream.

Time will tell. Apple's history with new connectors is not encouraging, but the Pixel is already out with USB C accessories. That's not definitive but it's encouraging. USB A has become an object of humor. I'd be surprised if USB C doesn't go mainstream pretty quickly.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Easy there, bud. I told I'm not computer expert. We do use Prosystems for everything. I meant in a way that we WOULDN'T use a Mac.

Yeah, the point is there is no reason to not use a Mac, they run Windows better than the vast majority of other manufacturers, if that is your requirement. That will go for the new Macbook as well.

The thing that set me off is your off-handed insinuation that you can't use a Mac to be productive in the business world, more specifically in the finance/accounting profession. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Time will tell. Apple's history with new connectors is not encouraging, but the Pixel is already out with USB C accessories. That's not definitive but it's encouraging. USB A has become an object of humor. I'd be surprised if USB C doesn't go mainstream pretty quickly.

Yeah, for example Apple pioneering 3.5" disks and USB 1.0 - super horrible history! ;)

They do have a bad history when it comes to proprietary connectors, simply because they were proprietary.

Thunderbolt is sort a unique case, because while it isn't proprietary, it has been fighting with USB since it was released. USB responded to it with the announcement of 3.0 in advance, including enhanced feature sets to match Thunderbolt - enhanced transfer speeds and bandwidth, charging & video & audio in parallel, as well as daisy-chaining. This probably gave peripheral manufacturers pause, making them reluctant to go all in with Thunderbolt.

USB 3.1 is really good now as a universal connector. That it is USB helps it out a lot as well. I think Thunderbolt will remain niche for professional video production where the bandwidth advantage it still currently holds will make it a preferred solution. Consumer and Prosumer machines will gravitate to USB, and I think we'll see wider and faster adoption of USB-C stuff than we ever did with TB.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yeah, for example Apple pioneering 3.5" disks and USB 1.0 - super horrible history! ;)

They do have a bad history when it comes to proprietary connectors, simply because they were proprietary.

Thunderbolt is sort a unique case, because while it isn't proprietary, it has been fighting with USB since it was released. USB responded to it with the announcement of 3.0 in advance, including enhanced feature sets to match Thunderbolt - enhanced transfer speeds and bandwidth, charging & video & audio in parallel, as well as daisy-chaining. This probably gave peripheral manufacturers pause, making them reluctant to go all in with Thunderbolt.

USB 3.1 is really good now as a universal connector. That it is USB helps it out a lot as well. I think Thunderbolt will remain niche for professional video production where the bandwidth advantage it still currently holds will make it a preferred solution. Consumer and Prosumer machines will gravitate to USB, and I think we'll see wider and faster adoption of USB-C stuff than we ever did with TB.

I was thinking of Firewire and Thunderbolt. The one that surprised me was Thunderbolt, because it had some backing from Intel. I actually put a TB card into my monster Windows workstation, but for a variety of technical and economic reasons it has never been used. :rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Firewire
Mini Display port
TB

Connectors that even apple did not support across its range.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
can't believe I've never seen that before it's so true lol
It's an oldie, but still funny. I bought that first MacBook Air right away, I don't think I actually used that single USB port a lot. It was an awesome machine, I absolutely don't mind that there is only one USB-C port on the new rMB. The only thing I do mind is that there is no USB-C to Displayport yet, but that will hopefully be solved by a lot of 3rd party dongles within a few months.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
Actually i would rather buy an iPad than this.

The main reason you buy an OSX machine is the apps you are likely to use on it. Heavy, desktop quality apps.

If this machine cant run those with any degree of real usability, then its basically a machine for browsing, typing/notes, calendar stuff, reading ebooks, and watching movies. if thats what you want thats great.

But actually the iPad does all that, and probably does it better, and then has apps that go beyond even those abilities. It's also thinner and lighter.

If im buying a laptop id buy the macbook air over this right now. However if its portability and browsing you want, the iPad is the better bang for your buck.

In that way I'm not sure what the new Macbook really is. An iPad for keyboard lovers maybe? A fetish/fashion consumer product?

What I wanted was a Retina Macbook Air, which im sure will come soon.

I'm not buying it.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

The main reason you buy an OSX machine is the apps you are likely to use on it. Heavy, desktop quality apps.

If this machine cant run those with any degree of real usability, then its basically a machine for browsing, typing/notes, calendar stuff, reading ebooks, and watching movies. if thats what you want thats great.

But actually the iPad does all that, and probably does it better, and then has apps that go beyond even those abilities. It's also thinner and lighter.

If im buying a laptop id buy the macbook air over this right now. However if its portability and browsing you want, the iPad is the better bang for your buck.

In that way I'm not sure what the new Macbook really is. An iPad for keyboard lovers maybe? A fetish/fashion consumer product?

I'm not buying it.

What is it you think the new MacBook won't be able to run?

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

I'm not buying it.

Using databases, Office, Quickbooks, etc., can still a bit of a nightmare on iOS, at least with my work, and the new Macbook won't have issues with those kind of programs. I still have more powerful machines at home to run intensive programs, but that happens less and less for me.

I don't think we'll see a retina Macbook Air anytime soon. The 11" Air has about the same battery capacity as the new Macbook, and they both have the same battery life, so they've got to give up something for that retina screen, which, in the case of the Macbook, is processing power. If anything, I'd imagine that, as Core M processors get faster, we'll see the Air be phased out, eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.