Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
If you think Apple is going to give you choices then you are dreaming. They arent going to open iOS and let you have other browsers and keyboards and such. If you think they will then yes, it is a useless discussion.

Every year here i keep seeing "maybe next year"....lol,......... waiting on that stuff, next year will never come.

I'm an Apple user since .... Let me think ... 1989
Apple gave me plenty of choices, I can assure you.
I don't want them to open iOS, quite on the contrary. I find the incoherency of android implementations very frustrating (on the galaxy s5, to be on topic, you can easily find three different kind of UI in the same device, on the Lg g2 there are similar issues, and this is caused by the "openness" of android ). I don't need any other keyboard, and I'm writing using Mercury Browser on my iPad, so I'm using another browser (Safari is fast but its memory footprint is very bad).

If Apple, for example, will give me the choice between a 4.7" and a 5.5" iPhone 6, both with similar technical specifications (like iPad mini retina and iPad Air), I'll be happy.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
People vote with the wallet mate lol if Samsung made those phones is because people wanted not because "Samsung decided", it seems like you want to believe that for some reason.

I can't and you can't .... Samsung doesn't give you the choice between a 5.1" s5 and a 4.2" s5 mini with basically same specs and a smaller screen.
They will release a downgraded s5 mini with much smaller resolution, less memory and a less capable SoC as usual

Wait...so you don't think Samsung are focusing on large screen phones because that's what they think people want, i.e. what they think will sell? What would be their motive then, would you say?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Wait...so you don't think Samsung are focusing on large screen phones because that's what they think people want, i.e. what they think will sell? What would be their motive then, would you say?

Because they think is a good marketing move. Samsung is all about marketing and very little about customer satisfaction.
They think that bigger than others is a good point to sell more.
Their typical philosophy is the throw at the wall and see what sticks.
I really don't like them. They have very good engineers , and plenty of resources, but very poor management IMHO.
Other companies aren't perfect, but I like them more than Samsung.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Because they think is a good marketing move. Samsung is all about marketing and very little about customer satisfaction.
I really don't like them. They have very good engineers , and plenty of resources, but very poor management IMHO.

There is the key point at the end......... You just hate Samsung. Despite everything people have told you and all the evidence you continue to spew fud. If no one wanted the larger screen phones Samsung is offering they would buy from someone else that has the display sizes they demand. It is a consumer driven market. But the fact remains Samsung sells more phones than anyone else except maybe Apple. You still don't get it....... Samsung doesn't decide what the consumer wants...... The consumer does. Even Apple concedes the consumer wants larger display screens in the leaked court documents. Everyone sees the consumer market is driving larger screen phones....... Except you.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Of course Samsung cares about customer satisfaction. How else would they be one of the world's most successful mobile device manufacturers? Only satisfied customers come back for more, so they apparently have a lot of them.

It's just that they aim at a different customer base than what Apple does. Ok, so Samsung doesn't make any proper flagship phones with smaller screens. Apple doesn't make any with larger screens - does that mean they don't care about customer satisfaction? Just like you claim that Samsung are "forcing" those who prefer Android to use larger screens, it might be said that Apple are forcing those who prefer iOS to use smaller screens. Who's any better then?

Both companies are focusing on their respective phone categories/display sizes because those are the wisest business strategies for them. Let's not get confused by our personal likes and dislikes and bring moral attitudes into what is essentially only about business, that will only derail any constructive discussion and lead down the "fanboy vs fanboy" route.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Of course Samsung cares about customer satisfaction. How else would they be one of the world's most successful mobile device manufacturers? Only satisfied customers come back for more, so they apparently have a lot of them.

It's just that they aim at a different customer base than what Apple does. Ok, so Samsung doesn't make any proper flagship phones with smaller screens. Apple doesn't make any with larger screens - does that mean they don't care about customer satisfaction? Just like you claim that Samsung are "forcing" those who prefer Android to use larger screens, it might be said that Apple are forcing those who prefer iOS to use smaller screens. Who's any better then?

Both companies are focusing on their respective phone categories/display sizes because those are the wisest business strategies for them. Let's not get confused by our personal likes and dislikes and bring moral attitudes into what is essentially only about business, that will only derail any constructive discussion and lead down the "fanboy vs fanboy" route.
Who says Apple is better in this ?
Apple forced other customers to buy smaller smartphones not producing any bigger iPhone in the last year.
But don't speak about market share, please: you know perfectly well that samsung's numbers are inflated by crappy cheap smartphones sold worldwide.
I don't like sony very much, but I did appreciate their move with the z1 compact release. They basically released z1, z1 ultra and z1 compact with similar specs and different screen size (well, with the ultra they exaggerated a little bit :D)

----------

There is the key point at the end......... You just hate Samsung. Despite everything people have told you and all the evidence you continue to spew fud. If no one wanted the larger screen phones Samsung is offering they would buy from someone else that has the display sizes they demand. It is a consumer driven market. But the fact remains Samsung sells more phones than anyone else except maybe Apple. You still don't get it....... Samsung doesn't decide what the consumer wants...... The consumer does. Even Apple concedes the consumer wants larger display screens in the leaked court documents. Everyone sees the consumer market is driving larger screen phones....... Except you.

People ? A bunch of users on this thread, most of them are just defending the beloved brand ? Give me a break :D

I don't like Samsung at all, but Samsung is not the only one in the "every year bigger" non sense ....
So it's not only about Samsung.

Apple did several mistakes in the past, and the "4" only" choice is one of them. We will see if they are going to change in the future.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Who says Apple is better in this ?
Apple forced other customers to buy smaller smartphones not producing any bigger iPhone in the last year.
But don't speak about market share, please: you know perfectly well that samsung's numbers are inflated by crappy cheap smartphones sold worldwide.
I don't like sony very much, but I did appreciate their move with the z1 compact release. They basically released z1, z1 ultra and z1 compact with similar specs and different screen size (well, with the ultra they exaggerated a little bit :D)

Um, I didn't even mention market share. I only said that Samsung are one of the world's most successful mobile device manufacturers, are you seriously saying they're not? That tired "samsung's numbers are inflated by ..." cliché has no relevance here.

And I see we're still stuck on what companies you like or dislike based on whether they "forced" people to buy this or that screen category...

Anyway, this is derailing enough, I noticed you were derailing the other major Samsung related thread with similar posts as well, so I'll take it that you're just out to bash them using any random argument you happen to come up with first. I have no particular love for Samsung but I do care about the quality of discussion on this forum, and currently we are only blocking this thread for anyone who has something relevant to say - so I'll just put you on ignore now and wish you all the best. Ciao :)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Um, I didn't even mention market share. I only said that Samsung are one of the world's most successful mobile device manufacturers, are you seriously saying they're not? That tired "samsung's numbers are inflated by ..." cliché has no relevance here.

And I see we're still stuck on what companies you like or dislike based on whether they "forced" people to buy this or that screen category...

Anyway, this is derailing enough, I noticed you were derailing the other major Samsung related thread with similar posts as well, so I'll take it that you're just out to bash them using any random argument you happen to come up with first. I have no particular love for Samsung but I do care about the quality of discussion on this forum, and currently we are only blocking this thread for anyone who has something relevant to say - so I'll just put you on ignore now and wish you all the best. Ciao :)
I tried not to go off topic since the beginning, but I just answered to a couple of Samsung apologists ...
I never denied Samsung "leadership" on sales, it is documented. They sells zillions of "galaxy ace, galaxy young, galaxy-whatever-cheap-crappy-phone". I'm fine with it, but I don't care since those aren't interesting enough for tech entushiasts like me. Strange enough in that class Samsung offers a quite large variety of screen dimensions to cover almost all tastes.
Finally I find the " I can't argue so I'm putting you in the ignore list" quite childish , since the discussion was civil and educated, but it's up to you.
Back to S5 now and sorry for the little, albeit interesting, side discussion.

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Anyone else's S5 rattle when you tap the top section of the phone? I'm presuming it's some camera lens design but was just wondering.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Anyone else's S5 rattle when you tap the top section of the phone? I'm presuming it's some camera lens design but was just wondering.

Most phones rattle when you tap them. Its either the vibrators, the camera, or in the case of my One M8 the volume rocker. Wouldn't worry about, even my iPhone rattles when I tap the top.

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Done a little bit of research and it sounds like the camera lens design. Activate the camera and it stops.

Wasn't overly worried about it, but my iPhone 5 didn't rattle.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Done a little bit of research and it sounds like the camera lens design. Activate the camera and it stops.

Wasn't overly worried about it, but my iPhone 5 didn't rattle.

My iPhone 5S rattles if shaken, so it is a quite common behavior on modern smartphones.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
That's normal, it's a slight sound, its b/c of the image stabilization. Heck even a $1k+ dslr camera has that similar rattle from image stabilization, ours does, and friends does.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I could see Samsung announcing both a S5 Prime and Note 4 simultaneously this Fall to blunt the Apple iPhone 6 4.7" and 5.5" announcements.

I agree.....I just wanted to see the link to any new rumors. It actually would be a smart move on one hand and kind of underhanded on the other for all the people that bought the S5......

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
I agree.....I just wanted to see the link to any new rumors. It actually would be a smart move on one hand and kind of underhanded on the other for all the people that bought the S5......
Sammy should come open and offer price reduction on S5 if that is true. If I can get it for $0 with renewal, I am not bothered what they are going to sell for $200 in future. How appropriate is that, they are going to name it F. It is going to vey uneasy situation for S5 owners.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
What is horrible is all the Samsung execs have denied this will happen. If it is an upgraded S5 to be released in the Us then they will lose all credibility with the buying public. It would be a PR nightmare for them!

It is a shame I agree, but maybe the QHD screen will hurt battery life/performance so much that noone cares :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.