Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
What is horrible is all the Samsung execs have denied this will happen. If it is an upgraded S5 to be released in the Us then they will lose all credibility with the buying public. It would be a PR nightmare for them!
Exactly. They are yet to even release 32gb version and still fleecing early adapters with 16gb one.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Exactly. They are yet to even release 32gb version and still fleecing early adapters with 16gb one.
They have not released the GPE S5 either.....
Logic tells me these are just rumors about a phone maybe targeted just for Asia or China. The PR hit Samsung will suffer would seem to be just to mind-numbing......But who knows...I guess we will see! :)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The fact that I acquired a Zagg Glass Shield and Ringke Slim for my S5 suggests it's going to stick around a bit.

Unlike my venture with the S4, where the iPhone 5 was glued to my side as a backup, my 5S has stayed home and the S5 has been my only travel companion and it's been a great performer.

Now lets see if Apple can get me back in the fall with the iPhone 6.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Now lets see if Apple can get me back in the fall with the iPhone 6.
I don't expect anything from Apple that will reinvent the wheel to be honest, and I think there are strong hints as to what to expect. I sense a lot of people say at this point that they want to be impressed and set expectations really high only to then say how rubbish the release is once it arrives. I think we will see a 4.7" and 5.5" display later this year, a faster processor and iOS 8 that will have a few new and some useful features included. I don't expect it to look vastly different to iOS 7, but then again it doesn't need to as far as I am concerned. The Samsung S5 appeared to be an incremental upgrade to its predecessor and I expect the iPhone 6 to be a larger, slightly improved version of the 5S. Both have their solid customers and both tempt a few across in equal measure.

If people are unimpressed with what Apple are doing now, do we honestly think they are going to be jumping for joy this autumn? I think Apple will satisfy those of us who enjoy their current products and those who prefer other platforms will still enjoy the other platforms :)

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Temptation was too great, so picked up a S5 yesterday after a brief stint with the M8.

Overall I'm more satisfied so far with the S5 than the M8. The M8's materials and unibody construction did feel good in hand, but the power button placement required too much hand shimmy to reach. There were some QC issues that bugged me such as the speaker grill not flush with the screen, and playing music would cause random skips/pops. Sense 6.0 is very smooth so props to HTC. Samsung's new Touchwiz is better but nowhere near the optimization that Sense 6.0 brings.

The S5 despite it's plastic build is pretty solid, and because of the grippy texture on the back felt more secure in hand. Replaceable batteries is always a plus but that stupid charging flap will drive me nuts, so I will order the Qi compatible back once Samsung decides to release it so I can use my wireless chargers.

I was thoroughly surprised when setting up iCloud through the native email client on TW, and it gave me the option of Push. Has that always been there? Don't remember Samsung supporting Push email of iCloud when I had my S4.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Temptation was too great, so picked up a S5 yesterday after a brief stint with the M8.

Overall I'm more satisfied so far with the S5 than the M8. The M8's materials and unibody construction did feel good in hand, but the power button placement required too much hand shimmy to reach. There were some QC issues that bugged me such as the speaker grill not flush with the screen, and playing music would cause random skips/pops. Sense 6.0 is very smooth so props to HTC. Samsung's new Touchwiz is better but nowhere near the optimization that Sense 6.0 brings.

The S5 despite it's plastic build is pretty solid, and because of the grippy texture on the back felt more secure in hand. Replaceable batteries is always a plus but that stupid charging flap will drive me nuts, so I will order the Qi compatible back once Samsung decides to release it so I can use my wireless chargers.

I was thoroughly surprised when setting up iCloud through the native email client on TW, and it gave me the option of Push. Has that always been there? Don't remember Samsung supporting Push email of iCloud when I had my S4.
Do I notice any lag during browsing internet and using basic apps. Is it only concern for heavy multi tasking users. Trying to see if i need to bother about these lag concerns.

Galaxy S5 camera is real performer. It is very difficult to overlook its camera performance and water proof functionality. Video shooing comparison with Z2. S5 did really great. except auto focus. I have seen other tests where it did well in auto focus. Not sure why AF did not work in these tests. Tap focus works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_1_ayEHazg

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Battery life on the S5 has been Damn good. And it charges very fast. Like iPhone fast, which has been an issue for Samsung since forever.

Took about 15 minutes to get all the carrier bloat disabled, which cleaned up ram usage and gave a mild bump to overall speed. Enabling Art over Dalvik, smoothed out browser and Facebook scrolling, animation frame rates seemed better, and app switching seemed a touch cleaner.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Battery life on the S5 has been Damn good. And it charges very fast. Like iPhone fast, which has been an issue for Samsung since forever.

Took about 15 minutes to get all the carrier bloat disabled, which cleaned up ram usage and gave a mild bump to overall speed. Enabling Art over Dalvik, smoothed out browser and Facebook scrolling, animation frame rates seemed better, and app switching seemed a touch cleaner.
Is performance of S5 (lag) fine for normal users. Do i notice any lag while doing tasks browsing, Facebook (basic ones).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
If i get a SS GS5 im going to root it just to remove the bloatware and then return it to normal. Ive already bought the apps for it.

Beware of the whole Knox trip / warranty void. Don't think all the models have been rooted yet so be sure to check in. I'm curious if tripping Knox has a effect on the fingerprint sensor too

Though I've read that people have been getting warranty support on Knox tripped phones on xda in the past.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Beware of the whole Knox trip / warranty void. Don't think all the models have been rooted yet so be sure to check in. I'm curious if tripping Knox has a effect on the fingerprint sensor too

Though I've read that people have been getting warranty support on Knox tripped phones on xda in the past.

Dont you have to activate the KNOX thing? Didnt read a lot about it, i dont have a SS anymore but it was there when i still had my GS3 and never activated it, or whatever it was .

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Dont you have to activate the KNOX thing? Didnt read a lot about it, i dont have a SS anymore but it was there when i still had my GS3 and never activated it, or whatever it was .

Nah I believe it is active out of the box. Not sure if the gs3 ever got it. The gs4 got it in one of its software updates. Apparently there is some physical 'efuse' that trips and it is not reversible(don't think the gs4 has the efuse, but the note3 does). Should be able to google some stuff with plenty of people up in arms about it.

I believe there is a way to root the note3 without tripping, but it will likely take time for the gs5 if it ever happens

The idea is to make the devices safer for enterprise, but it is akin to a walled garden of sorts. And regular users are subject to it :(

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
I am looking for radio specific details for S5. Which carrier (verizon/att) version is better in terms of using S5 in Asian counties later (gsm carriers).
Thanks

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I am looking for radio specific details for S5. Which carrier (verizon/att) version is better in terms of using S5 in Asian counties later (gsm carriers).
Thanks

TMO since its comes with an unlocked bootloader and probably easy to unlock like how the S4 and Note 3 is.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Is performance of S5 (lag) fine for normal users. Do i notice any lag while doing tasks browsing, Facebook (basic ones).

I've yet to encounter an android device that didn't require some tweaking and clean-up out the box.

Fresh out the box though, performance was still alluring enough for me to buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.