Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

erictech7

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Pa.
I forgot to mention their website is deceptive. They do not show any pictures of the aluminum band adapters.

murray

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Leeds, UK
I've been searching high and low for this strap posted by Thyraz for ages. He said he got it from a small trader on Amazon Germany, but I can't find it. Anyone else had any luck locating this thing of beauty? (the strap, not the man)

16945272163_fb9da25a83.jpg

(link)

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Monowear Design has awful customer service and the watch band adapters do not match at all for the aluminum Sport model. They would not pay for shipping back. She claimed it was only for defective watch bands that they pay for return shipping. I argued that the color was defective and she still will not refund. Quality certainly does not command the $65.98 price tag. I do not recommend this company at all.

At least they are consistent... they gave me the same excuse. Not sure why its so hard to match the color. They should at least make a disclaimer somewhere about this on their site. Once my Click adapters show up, I'm going to throw them on the band. Honestly though, I don't think I will buy from them again. Given the fact that the Black Forest bands are only $10-$20 more, I'd rather get them than buy from monowear. From what I've seen, monowear is overpriced.

Reactions: erictech7

linhromrom

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Monowear Design has awful customer service and the watch band adapters do not match at all for the aluminum Sport model. They would not pay for shipping back. She claimed it was only for defective watch bands that they pay for return shipping. I argued that the color was defective and she still will not refund. Quality certainly does not command the $65.98 price tag. I do not recommend this company at all.
View attachment 570831 View attachment 570832 View attachment 570833

sorry to see your experience, though as soon as I see the first few bands that ppl got their hands on. I know they are totally not worth the money. Their $100 steel band is exactly the same as the $6 bands that been on Ebay for Moto360 a year or two ago. Except they slap their logo on with an adapter. I suspect they all come from the same factory.

So i guess your band is like a combo of $10 adapter with another $10 or so band that you probably come across ebay search ....

Reactions: erictech7

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Just Received my Red Leather Loop from eBay seller jennyliushi.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Ston...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item463d36c576

Fast Shipping and the Band is perfect! Well it is a tad short on the connections, but all of them are. It's $180 (Canadian) less than the Original so I'm not fussed about it.

Looks Great! Magnets seem fine. (Don't mind my scrawny, hairy wrist):

IMG_0532.png

FFIW my wrist size is 165mm and it does fit fine unless you super tighten it (to the point where I would feel uncomfortable).

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
How heavy is it? It looks great and am thinking of getting one, but don't want anything super heavy. Any info would be much appreciated. Also, was sizing as easy as it appeared. Thanks.

Good question. I'll weigh it when I get home. It has a solid feel, but it's not uncomfortably heavy.

Sizing was very easy, it came with a tool and took a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
The link removal looks to be different as well as the inside of the clasp from Apples band and that's OK, but it does have me thinking about adding this one to my collection. I have a rice link metal band and a shark mesh band similar to the general look of the ML so guess I'm more hesitating on whether I need another metal band.

I'm going to be ordering a few more adapters from him in the next few days once this last band I have on order comes in today and I make my decision on what adapter for what band. The plan is to have an adapter for each band and not bother swapping out. Pretty much think I'm set for a while unless I pick up this one too. I might not have seen this band if I hadn't come here. Thanks for the link.

luckyblue

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
I just posted this in another thread, but I think it applies here as well...

I ended up getting this band from Amazon. It exceeded my expectations. I had returned the black apple sports band a few weeks ago because it was discoloring. I'm happy to say that this band for under $10 is the exact same thing as the apple one, the only difference is that it's a little thinner, but not in a way that seems like it's of lesser quality. In fact I like it that way because it's more comfortable. The material feels exactly as soft as apples version. The connection to the watch is very solid (a little tight) but it feels secure. That's important to me because I go kayaking, paddle boarding, and swimming with my watch. My thought was to get this as a band to use when I'm working out in the yard or swimming because it was so affordable, but I'm going to buy more of the other colors because I like it so much. It seems like it's durable but I'll keep everyone up to date if It starts discoloring or anything.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P0B3Q3C?redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Ridder

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Netherlands
Finally got my  Watch this morning.....and the iPhone 6.

First tried the different bands.
The adapters all work nice and smooth.

Original:

Rgty8HRl.jpg

The black 3-link SS bracelet

2X9mG64l.jpg

And my favorite this far....the leather band from the local store with chinese SG adapters"

vLtj4Zdl.jpg

I already took a shower with the leather band (and  Watch) and everything still feeling and looking good!

Now I'm gonna spent some more time trying to figure everything out....

d3t

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015

carbonkitty

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2014
Just got this from Clockwork Synergy. Not loving the white stitching, I thought it looked ok in pictures.
5072615da3abf3a7767d6f85a4ad6133.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmona

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
My 24mm python print with leather underside band from Android USA arrived. An eBay purchase. I was curious to see how the quick release pins work and they work well. I did have to compress the band width slightly but the pins made it super easy to install and eliminated the spring pin shot across the room. I liked it so much that I ordered a second band with the same pin design. All I needed to supply was a spring pin adapter which I had on hand from freedomoclock.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AlliFlowers

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Got this $46 SS 3 point 38mm HOCO metal band and couldn't be happier. As others have. It was sold by Oittm, but the Amazon Prime package had the HOCO band inside.

Interestingly I have large wrists, 195mm even though I'm a slender and fit male. I like smaller watches, so I have the 38 mm sport SG watch.

A Monowear Nylon was just too small. Returned and got a refund.

Reviewing the official Apple watch bands for 38mm, the only ones long enough for my wrists are the current SB, SS Link($449), and Classic leather. ML is too short. And I don't want leather. Have the SB in black. Link is too expensive.

So it's limited. I'd like the 5 point, but I've only found silver.

So this SS HOCO is perfect. Had to remove two links even. Like the looks in the black grey band. Perfect fit. Hope the anodized coating is durable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOLUBGO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

image.jpg

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007

I was a Kickstarter backer of Monowear, having jumped ship from Click. The whole point about Monowear for me was they had something ready to go and I received my Apple Watch on launch day. Luckily for me, I didn't have to wait long, being one of the first to receive their bands - a Mesh band and an Olive Nylon band with (I'm wearing right now) with the darkened adapter which I don't mind.

Three months on from the Apple Watch launch, there are way more options now (all Click backers got their adapters yet?) but I've been swapping between my two Monowear and Apple Sport Band daily for more than two months.

So they're probably not high on the list anymore, and my next purchase is definitely going to be elsewhere, but they had a first mover advantage at one point, and actually shipped product. They should however move with the rest of market now which is a lot tougher!

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I did have to compress the band width slightly but the pins made it super easy to install and eliminated the spring pin shot across the room.

That is a sexy band!!! Can you elaborate more on the pin and eliminating the spring pin shooting across the room? Do you mean you used the adapter with screws?

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
That is a sexy band!!! Can you elaborate more on the pin and eliminating the spring pin shooting across the room? Do you mean you used the adapter with screws?

No screws. The watch bands straps come with a special pin incorporated into the strap. One side of the pin is stationary and you insert it into the lug. The other side of the band has a pin and a lever, and when you slide the tiny balled lever towards the band center, it retracts the pin on that side of the band allowing you to push the band into the lug space. When you release the lever it will extend the pin on that side. I found by turning the watch and band on it's side you can see thru the lug hole where the metal of the pin is and guide you in positioning the band for pin release.

So for Apple Watch you still need to buy a spring pin adapter because you need lugs to attach the band to, but you won't ever need to worry about pins on these bands again. And being incorporated in the band they won't go flying across the room. Also no need for any spring bar tools.

View attachment 571103

Zoom in on the the above photo near the watch base and you'll see the tiny built-in lever handle.

I haven't seen anyone mention bands with the Quick Release Pins before so thought it was worth calling attention to.

Last edited:

waxlabo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Got this band from Utica guy a few days ago and was surprise to pay only $23.58 for it. It included space gray adapters and came in a watch box with a mini pillow. It also included a spring release tool which was odd. The band is stainless steel with a brush matte finish which is more of a dark charcoal color but appears lighter in certain lighting and angles. The quality feels quite nice and much better than a previous two tone band that I got for about $45.95 from bandfever
aw.jpg

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Just got this from Clockwork Synergy. Not loving the white stitching,

I like the white stitching! I just got the vintage brown leather strap from Clockwork Synergy (posting a review shortly). I like it, but the hardware for the buckle is really wide. It's as wide as my 38mm watch face!

Sean

bsbuggs

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Hi
I received my hoko grey stainless band the other day... looks great.
Thanks to ALL that helped with the pics in this thread..

I also purchased the spring style adapter from " Utica" on ebay... I bought the space grey/black adapter for the 42MM.

BUT the band does not fit into the adapter... not sure if others had this same experience.. Did anyone have to modify the Hoko band?... Its off by quite a bit.. seee pic?
Just wondering if the quality control is off on the band or the adapter...

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Hi
I received my hoko grey stainless band the other day... looks great.
Thanks to ALL that helped with the pics in this thread..

I also purchased the spring style adapter from " Utica" on ebay... I bought the space grey/black adapter for the 42MM.

BUT the band does not fit into the adapter... not sure if others had this same experience.. Did anyone have to modify the Hoko band?... Its off by quite a bit.. seee pic?
Just wondering if the quality control is off on the band or the adapter...
Looks like your spring bar adapter curves inward. Odd. They might be defective. They should fit any 24mm band. Measure the HOCO band.

I have the same type of adapter and they are straight on the inside (where the band fits). It could just be lighting though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.