Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolwut89

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
I'm inclined to believe that everytime I say, "that's stupid" to something Apple releases that I should just be quiet and wait until the product matures.

It's happened to the iPhone and now the MacBook Air. Just picked up my 13" from Apple today. I'm not fond of the battery life, but man is this baby light and thin. It also barely outputs any heat. I guess that's the power of ULV CPUs for ya.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Ordered my 2011 11" MacBook Air with Core i5 on Wednesday night
(arriving VIA UPS on Monday or tonight)

update: I received my MacBook Air today! :D time to save up for my next Apple product now (an iPad 3, Mac Mini, iPhone 4, or an ACD/ATD)

zanchan

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
My first post - how exciting! Ordered a higher end 11 inch MacBook Air last night, and just got word that it shipped and should be here tomorrow. SO excited, as its my first new Mac (or any sort of computer for that matter) since I bought this black Macbook I'm writing on now in 2006! Think I'll notice a difference? :p

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
update: I received my MacBook Air today! :D time to save up for my next Apple product now (an iPad 3, Mac Mini, iPhone 4, or an ACD/ATD)

lol well I went ip4s-->13"i5MBA-->TBD

Can you really stand the ipad2 display if you saw the retina ipad 3 next to it?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
ordered a 13" i5/4GB 256GB on monday and will be here thursday.

Coming from a late 2008 15.4" MBP 2.4GHz C2D 8GB RAM and 250GB 54k HDD. But also purchased a 2011 Mac Mini earlier this year. i5 2.5GHz with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD, so it won't be a huge step up in terms of speed. Sad to have sold the MBP as that was my first mac and first OS X experience.

Got my air a couple of weeks ago. I really didn't think it was going to be that much different than my mini since the mini is running 2.5 with 8GB vs. the air's 1.7 with 4GB. But opening/closing apps, opening/closing the computer is just so much faster.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
lol well I went ip4s-->13"i5MBA-->TBD

Can you really stand the ipad2 display if you saw the retina ipad 3 next to it?

I honestly really do not care about retina that much, I don't want to start a debate but really it doesn't change much. I would go for it if it is in my budget this spring/summer but I was hoping to get a used 23" ACD and an iPad 2 so I have a home docking station and a crazy powerful portable OS X and iOS combo that can fit in my incase sleeve

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I honestly really do not care about retina that much, I don't want to start a debate but really it doesn't change much. I would go for it if it is in my budget this spring/summer but I was hoping to get a used 23" ACD and an iPad 2 so I have a home docking station and a crazy powerful portable OS X and iOS combo that can fit in my incase sleeve

fair enough..I guess for me the discount would have to be significant enough to consider. Definitely more than just 100

dannywalls76

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Finally got an MBA 11

I've had iPhones in various guises for the last couple of years, and I'm onto my second iPad and the only reason I wasn't enjoying them as much as I could was one thing. iTunes on Windows. I don't think I need to elaborate on that.
As a serving soldier living in Germany, I had 2 options. Either order one for the UK online and hope it got to me, or buy from a German store and make do with a QWERTZ keyboard. As luck would have it, our local NAAFI got them in for €900 for the 1.6GHz, 128 GB version which worked out £150 cheaper than if I'd got one in England.
I haven't looked back since. OSX took me about half an hour to get used to ( I still do have to google some stuff) and I've all but forgotten Windows altogether. And all my devices sync seamlessly. Like they're supposed to.

jbanning

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Atlanta
Congratulations! I have had MacBook (Pros) for years and switched to the 11" Air as my latest and absolutely love it. I'm a technology consultant and this is the perfect size for me to carry to client meetings and then hook up to a large monitor back in my home office to get work done. I don't see myself ever moving away from this size/form factor. I have to run Windows for certain tasks and I'm easily able to do that using VMWare Fusion. I hope you continue to enjoy the best laptop out there! :)

Louabc

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
I also have the MBA 11" i5 128Gb model, and have Windows 7 using half the SSD via bootcamp. Not sure what the difference is between running it through Virtual Machine, or installing it as dual boot, but it performs better running flash using windows than any of the browsers I tried under Lion, from my experience.

The only thing I am still getting use to on the MBA is the huge trackpad, that my thumbs keep hitting while typing, that sends the cursor off somewhere into hyperspace. LOL

I bought it for the hardware, not because its a Mac. Apple seems to somehow be able to put good, matched, balanced hardware in all their stuff, at a cheaper price than you can but it (if offered) from other manufacturers. No other netbook out there can outperform it for a cheaper price.

If you ever find someone that has a more powerful netbook than that one, at an equal or lower price, let me know. I don't even think those with MBAs with core i7 will run noticeably faster, unless the ambient temp there is below freezing. The core i5 is powerful enough to overload the cooling system at 23C ambient temps, which is why in theory, the core i7 would be 25% faster, but in actual testing, its 3% faster.

dannywalls76

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
My last laptop (if you can call it that) was a Dell 11z, which my wife now has. It runs Windows 7, but I much prefer OSX. In terms of performance, the Dell couldn't handle HD video and stopped and started all the time whereas the MBA breezes through it :) The thing is, it's an expensive game to get into but I'm definitely glad I did.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
I like both win7 and osx. both have strengths and weaknesses.

hardware wise, there's still nothing out there that competes with the mba series.

i sold my 2010 13 ultimate for a 2010 11 ultimate. loving the smaller footprint though i conceded some power and storage size for it. no worries

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Does it have a QWERTZ keyboard? Can't you select British as the layout and pop off the keyboard keys and re-arrange them?

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
fair enough..I guess for me the discount would have to be significant enough to consider. Definitely more than just 100

sorry for the late reply,

even $100 is enough for me since I can put more money towards other Apple products (a 27" ACD in particular, I would go with TBD but I can find a used 27" ACD for only $750-$850, or if I save up all my money until July and not buy an iPad I can get a TBD)

Which do you suggest 23" Aluminum ACD + iPad 2 or just 27" ACD or TBD (depending on what I find and the price I find it for) Although I will not be buying it until Spring/summer

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
sorry for the late reply,

even $100 is enough for me since I can put more money towards other Apple products (a 27" ACD in particular, I would go with TBD but I can find a used 27" ACD for only $750-$850, or if I save up all my money until July and not buy an iPad I can get a TBD)

Which do you suggest 23" Aluminum ACD + iPad 2 or just 27" ACD or TBD (depending on what I find and the price I find it for) Although I will not be buying it until Spring/summer

no prob,

I found an open box TBD for upper 700s before tax..if I just wanted size I have my 40" TV for 1080P. Even though financially the ipad2 will make more sense when the 3 is out, I'll probably get a 3 after the initial rush is over (i.e. no standing outside like an idiot).

Personally, I'd buy whatever you actually wanted. So if you either don't need or want the extra size, then save the money. For me, it was the only way to get fw800 and ethernet on the MBA without having to wait for belkin's 300 option. If I look at it that way, it's worth it over other 1440p's notably the $6XX HP. Try it out at the store and if you feel the 27 doesn't offer enough extra to justify the cost, then save your money

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
no prob,

I found an open box TBD for upper 700s before tax..if I just wanted size I have my 40" TV for 1080P. Even though financially the ipad2 will make more sense when the 3 is out, I'll probably get a 3 after the initial rush is over (i.e. no standing outside like an idiot).

Personally, I'd buy whatever you actually wanted. So if you either don't need or want the extra size, then save the money. For me, it was the only way to get fw800 and ethernet on the MBA without having to wait for belkin's 300 option. If I look at it that way, it's worth it over other 1440p's notably the $6XX HP. Try it out at the store and if you feel the 27 doesn't offer enough extra to justify the cost, then save your money

Where did you get that open box? what was the exact price?
I am so badly wanting this now!
I have tried it out at best buy and I love ACD 27" and ATD,
like you I also want a docking station e.g. more ports and plus then I have magsafe and TB wire, nothing more to attach

I really would like your opinion though please let me know
Thanks

----------

no prob,

Actually ignore my last comment, I feel iOS will complement my MBA more:D
I can get a 20" aluminum ACD, apple keyboard and the required dongle for $300 in a few months AND an iPad 3 (in July for my birthday, even if I could get iPad 3 on earlier I wouldn't wait outside Best Buy or Apple for 5-8 hours)
, then once Belkin's peripheral comes out I will buy it (I don't mind waiting a while)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Where did you get that open box? what was the exact price?
I am so badly wanting this now!
I have tried it out at best buy and I love ACD 27" and ATD,
like you I also want a docking station e.g. more ports and plus then I have magsafe and TB wire, nothing more to attach

I really would like your opinion though please let me know
Thanks

----------

Actually ignore my last comment, I feel iOS will complement my MBA more:D
I can get a 20" aluminum ACD, apple keyboard and the required dongle for $300 in a few months AND an iPad 3 (in July for my birthday, even if I could get iPad 3 on earlier I wouldn't wait outside Best Buy or Apple for 5-8 hours)
, then once Belkin's peripheral comes out I will buy it (I don't mind waiting a while)

thought you liked terps2005's setup in the other thread. Join the TBD mafia.

open box was at best buy..I've seen 2 or 3 pop up locally since I bought mine a month ago. The lowest was 749 (including the 100 off 600 coupon). The coupon ends on the 28th I think.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
How does that imply it is the UK one? He's purely talking about price there.

Well the OP said either buy one from Germany and deal with QWERTZ, or buy from the UK (which implies the OP would get something different). Then the OP states luckily the local NAAFI has them cheaper than what would need to be ordered from the UK inferred it's not QWERTZ and it's whatever is sold in the UK.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
How does that imply it is the UK one? He's purely talking about price there.

As luck would have it, our local NAAFI got them in for €900 for the 1.6GHz, 128 GB version which worked out £150 cheaper than if I'd got one in England.

I think this implies it's a UK one since they wouldn't be selling German ones in the UK, well not very likely anyway.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
thought you liked terps2005's setup in the other thread. Join the TBD mafia.

open box was at best buy..I've seen 2 or 3 pop up locally since I bought mine a month ago. The lowest was 749 (including the 100 off 600 coupon). The coupon ends on the 28th I think.

I love TBD but I think it's a tad expensive even at 749, I will see though if I can afford it in Summer (probably can save up for it) and I can also still get my iPad 3, I guess I don't need a 23" ACD

I will probably get an iPad 3 for my B-Day and 24" unibody ACD or a 27" ACD or a 27" ATD, all will depend on my cash but I will get a unibody display this summer. I'll keep an eye on best-buy in starting in April
By the way for open box how do you know they have it? is it on their website?
Do I have to walk in for open box?
Better start saving :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.