Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
That'll be cool. I'd also like to see some sort of effort to update the existing Look Around photos. Google gets updated Street View footage much more often.

I'm hoping to have a new car with a much wider screen for CarPlay in a couple of months. I'm curious to see how that changes the screen zoom distance at which the 3D buildings appear on the map.

I like how in Street View it lets you go back through all the previous images. It’s a great historical record of how an area has developed/changed over time. I do hope Apple does something similar as it updates it’s imagery.

Reactions: G1Ravage and dk001

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Is it just me or do things seem awfully quiet on the Maps front? Apple has usually been pretty good about quickly addressing reports I send in. Quite a bit of time has passed since my most recent reports and they haven't been addressed. I'd say it's been at least a month now. Granted though...the ones I sent in are regarding bike paths. I wouldn't say that's a time sensitive thing right now since there's snow and ice on the ground, so no one's biking around here, but still. My past experiences with reports have usually been handled pretty quickly.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I was somewhat excited the other day...I thought that Apple had somehow updated highway sign information in the New York City area, as the readouts were suddenly slightly different in a few places. But then I realized it was likely because of my destination on that road being different from usual.

Although there was one on-ramp where Apple replaced Triboro Bridge with RFK Bridge. But that may have been from someone's personal report to change it.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Is it just me or do things seem awfully quiet on the Maps front? Apple has usually been pretty good about quickly addressing reports I send in. Quite a bit of time has passed since my most recent reports and they haven't been addressed. I'd say it's been at least a month now. Granted though...the ones I sent in are regarding bike paths. I wouldn't say that's a time sensitive thing right now since there's snow and ice on the ground, so no one's biking around here, but still. My past experiences with reports have usually been handled pretty quickly.

I imagine the two weeks for Christmas/New Year would be a bit of a right off? Presumably also why we haven’t seen much in the way of Look Around updates?

Reactions: iOS Geek

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I imagine the two weeks for Christmas/New Year would be a bit of a right off? Presumably also why we haven’t seen much in the way of Look Around updates?
True...but I also think that the recent releases in the Fall have kept the team busy. Releasing is one thing, but the follow up to make corrections and just make sure everything they did runs correctly takes up a lot of resources. The more map data/areas they release, the more people they need to maintain them. And I'm sure releasing countries outside of the USA means even more work.

I still think we will see more major release and Look Around updates in the first 6 months of this year so they can go into WWDC with most of the EU complete or at least announced to be complete in 2021 as well as Australia.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Interesting change. Definitely noticeable! Looking at the screenshot Justin posted of the Chicago area...my area REALLY got the axe! At the zoom level he took his screen shots at, every single town in my area that was on the map previously...isn't anymore. Kind of surprising for such a heavily populated area, because I would think at least one of my neighboring towns would remain. I wonder if there's some sort of population criteria for what is displayed at what level.

Last edited:
Reactions: G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I don't see this often, so I forgot about it....

But some time after the update to iOS 14, or maybe one of the points, something broke in Siri's brain in Apple Maps.

When you're navigating, and there's a lane closure on your route or something, Apple Maps will often warn you about it. For example:

"Lane closure ahead on Van Wyck Expy in 2.4 miles. The right lane is closed. You are still on the fastest route."

That still happens. BUT, notice that Expressway is abbreviated in the dialog box as "Expy", which is not unusual at all. But for some reason, Siri forgets it should be pronounced "Expressway" and instead pronounces it "Ex-pee". This happens with a lot of abbreviations of common terms when they show up in those little pop-up warnings.

But this only occurs with the text in the pop-up warnings. All other instances of 'Expy' being spoken aloud will be pronounced properly as "Expressway".

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I feel like things should be moving faster. News on the Maps front has been way too quiet. I really hope Apple isn't waiting until WWDC again to announce new releases or start testing new ones. There is a lot of time between now and June and a LOT can be done and released in that time if they take advantage of it.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
The interface for turn-by-turn is slightly different in the 14.5 beta. No longer has the red "end" button directly on screen. You now have to tap the arrow and it will pull up a menu with that button. I use CarPlay when I'm driving, so the interface of turn-by-turn on the phone isn't one that I use much. Just came across it while digging into the beta. (See below)

IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9297.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I just got the public beta release and will see if I notice any changes...but snow storm here, so not sure the next time I'll be leaving the house. ;)

• Wow

PlaystationFanboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
I’m on a road trip right now and used Apple Maps to get to my hotel on a 6 hour drive that was relatively complex. When I got here, I decided to compare my route to Google Maps and found that Google would’ve given me a MUCH simpler route. I decided to check other places like Target, gas stations, etc. and saw the same result. There was even one point that I was using Apple Maps to look at my route home and decided to search a gas station I will literally be driving past to go home and Apple Maps gave me some weird route to go to that gas station whereas Google gave me the same route as if I’m going home. I’m pretty confused. Does anybody know what type of algorithm Apple uses?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I’m on a road trip right now and used Apple Maps to get to my hotel on a 6 hour drive that was relatively complex. When I got here, I decided to compare my route to Google Maps and found that Google would’ve given me a MUCH simpler route. I decided to check other places like Target, gas stations, etc. and saw the same result. There was even one point that I was using Apple Maps to look at my route home and decided to search a gas station I will literally be driving past to go home and Apple Maps gave me some weird route to go to that gas station whereas Google gave me the same route as if I’m going home. I’m pretty confused. Does anybody know what type of algorithm Apple uses?

You'd need to give us an idea of the area you're trying to get directions around so we can see for ourselves and try to get inside Maps' "brain".

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have found,occasionally, that Apple Maps seems to do too much traffic "avoidance" and thus routes get complex

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I have found,occasionally, that Apple Maps seems to do too much traffic "avoidance" and thus routes get complex

Really? I've experienced just the opposite. Especially compared to a route that Waze might give you to avoid traffic.

In fact, I find that Apple Maps will send me through some traffic to avoid a more complex route.

Reactions: MozMan68

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk

You'd need to give us an idea of the area you're trying to get directions around so we can see for ourselves and try to get inside Maps' "brain".

Yeah, I’ve generally found Apple Maps routing to be as good or better than Google Maps (not used any others such as Waze). Also see this review of of Apple Maps routing engine: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ure-that-google-maps-really-needs-149203.html

If I’m going somewhere completely new I usually check both and see which I think looks better given the traffic etc. The main issue with Apple Maps (in the UK at least) is still incorrect pins but this is also true with google maps so I usually just drop a pin and use this instead of a searched item.

PlaystationFanboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Here’s an example. This is my route going home according to Maps:
A6B82AB6-C8EC-44DD-98A9-24E7BBD31413.jpeg

I even marked Merrill, OR which I have to drive through to get home.

I will literally be driving past the Mobil gas station.
3FF2E4DB-0FDE-4EB7-855E-17F6365F5A59.png

I am planning my route home and let’s say I have to prepare when/where I will need to stop for gas. I search for that specific Mobil and this is what it gave me.
F1FF45D2-90B7-4DCF-8805-499AE819D210.png

Why is the route suddenly different when I’m searching for a gas station I would otherwise be driving past anyway???????

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
View attachment 1726879

View attachment 1726880

I am planning my route home and let’s say I have to prepare when/where I will need to stop for gas. I search for that specific Mobil and this is what it gave me.
View attachment 1726881

Why is the route suddenly different when I’m searching for a gas station I would otherwise be driving past anyway???????

Because, when going to a single point on your way home, Maps is simply giving you multiple options to get there.

Or maybe I’m confused by the question?

PlaystationFanboy

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2021
Because, when going to a single point on your way home, Maps is simply giving you multiple options to get there.

Or maybe I’m confused by the question?
Look closely at my screenshots. The route Maps is giving to go home is completely different than the routes its giving me if I’m going to the gas station I would be driving past anyway. If I were to go home, I would be turning right at Susanville in the first screenshot. That’s not an option in my third screenshot going to Mobil even though they’re literally going in the exact same direction.

My route is go home is also pretty straight shot. My routes to go to Mobil are requiring me to circle around.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Look closely at my screenshots. The route Maps is giving to go home is completely different than the routes its giving me if I’m going to the gas station I would be driving past anyway. If I were to go home, I would be turning right at Susanville in the first screenshot. That’s not an option in my third screenshot going to Mobil even though they’re literally going in the exact same direction.

My route is go home is also pretty straight shot. My routes to go to Mobil are requiring me to circle around.
I see now…you’re referring to that one section in the middle that comes up when you are going home but NOT when you try to go direct to the gas station?

Going to try and replicate…thanks for explaining.

EDIT: So comparing the route on Apple Maps (I used from Carson City to the Mobil station) there is a 10 minute difference from the more “direct” route you mention from the longer route Apple Maps gives. I can’t explain the logic behind that, but it is only 10 minutes….and in some cases, it may be because (despite posted speed limits) you may find that the majority of the folks traveling the “longer” route actually get there faster because they are driving faster on that route. The “faster” route may actually be slower because you are more inclined or have to stay closer to the speed limit.

I have found that Apple does seem to do a better job of this…selecting a route that is “better” because of the recorded flow of traffic. But that’s only my observation.

I did pick points further North (Bend, OR and Eugene, OR) but couldn’t get Apple Maps to replicate the “faster” route you show.

Last edited:

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
View attachment 1726879

View attachment 1726880

View attachment 1726881

I did pick points further North (Bend, OR and Eugene, OR) but couldn’t get Apple Maps to replicate the “faster” route you show.

Interesting! A bit like MozMan I’m struggling to get Maps to replicate your ‘direct’ route. For instance Reno Airport-Klamath Falls or Chiloquin gives the same route as the gas station.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
“Starting directions to xxxx…you can ask Siri to report any accidents or traffic along the way”

Anyone get this yet? A 14.5 beta addition??

• Wow
Reactions: dk001

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
“Starting directions to xxxx…you can ask Siri to report any accidents or traffic along the way”

Anyone get this yet? A 14.5 beta addition??

They were talking about this on Reddit today. A new beta addition, apparently. But people haven't figured out how to make it work yet.

IT'S ALL UP TO YOU, MOZMAN. REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FINDINGS!!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.