Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Discussing on a Reddit thread…seems cycling routes were expanded to Los Angeles and possibly expanded more in San Francisco.

Users are getting a notifications that cycling is now available in their area.

Edit: Portland and San Diego cycling directions apparently added.

I got a notification this morning that cycling directions were now available here in New York City...despite them having been available already for many months now.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
list under “HISTORY” of Significant locations does not show different city names, but shows multiple entries of same State in which the cities travelled are situated- iPhone 11 Pro shows this error but another iPhone 7 behaves correctly and does not show error.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
It seems as though existing cities have been expanded though.
Seems to be the case. I saw on Reddit that LA and the Bay Area's cycling coverage has expanded. I look forward to the Chicago area! Now granted of course, the weather says I won't be busting out my bike for a while, but it'll be nice to have in the spring!

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well…one question answered regarding whether or not incident reports show up on Maps when NOT routing…they do!

Found this while testing some bike routing in San Francisco.

726221a5e4a0536267a55337bf4e75aa.jpg

Canceled the routing and went back to the same spot to see if the accident shows up on the map…and it does!

bd294f40a5d926e55364037de99acaa0.jpg

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Well…one question answered regarding whether or not incident reports show up on Maps when NOT routing…they do!
Found this while testing some bike routing in San Francisco.

726221a5e4a0536267a55337bf4e75aa.jpg

Canceled the routing and went back to the same spot to see if the accident shows up on the map…and it does!

bd294f40a5d926e55364037de99acaa0.jpg

But can you tell if that icon was placed there due to a user’s report? Or was it there because Apple themselves received word of an accident via government source, or however they used to do it?

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

But can you tell if that icon was placed there due to a user’s report? Or was it there because Apple themselves received word of an accident via government source, or however they used to do it?
Good question....no clue!

EDIT: I went back and it is gone now...and then I spent 5 minutes looking all over the Bay Area for another incident since I figured there would be more reported there than anywhere else. Not sure if zoom level matters, but figured if "road closed" symbols show up, that other stuff should show up as well.

Really looking to see if speed traps show!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Good question....no clue!

Seeing accident and hazard icons in the map with no routing is nothing new.

Perhaps touching it will yield some clues. There’s typically some info about what happened in the details box that pops up. I wonder if a user-generated alert will appear differently, or specify as such when you press on it. ?

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Interesting…still don’t know if user reported.

7b04d73c500e61d6eb44eb31397bf5ab.jpg

…and after looking more, I’m able to see accidents reported all over the place. Which leads me to believe this is highway patrol reports and not user reports.

Reactions: G1Ravage

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Oooh, but that’s new...now when you touch it, it seems to give you the ability to clear it, or confirm it’s still ongoing.

That location description, though....
I'm guessing because the report has no clarification whether or not the accident is on the northbound or southbound side?

And I'm also guessing this is the alert that comes up when you come up to an incident. I tapped on the incident to make this visible, but makes sense it will be automatic when driving.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Just for comparison, this is what accidents look like for me on regular iOS 14.4:

18D62595-FF35-41BA-B255-2ED6DDD591C4.png

F8D651D8-A145-4E6C-80FF-138B132E435B.png

79733B2D-D0FF-41A5-BDD6-445A85273034.jpeg

0818338A-4BEE-49A4-9D86-2F09E091F017.jpeg

Sometimes, highway accidents show more than one alert, each with its own location. It would almost seem as if Apple places one where the slow down begins, and another where the actual incident is.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just for comparison, this is what accidents look like for me on regular iOS 14.4:

View attachment 1732311

View attachment 1732313

View attachment 1732312

View attachment 1732314

Sometimes, highway accidents show more than one alert, each with its own location. It would almost seem as if Apple places one where the slow down begins, and another where the actual incident is.
Yep…I just never see any….so, it looks like what I’m seeing is just the new icon and not really any new information.

EDIT: But as you mention above, the ability to confirm or clear is new??

Last edited:

SunSurfClimb

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Hey everyone! Just figured I’d add a few things I’ve noticed from over here in Ireland on our maps over the past few weeks and months that I haven’t seen mentioned. (Apologies for , on mobile.)

1) I have seen the new review system here, but it only seems to be on restaurants. I’ve attached a photo below for kicks.

2) We do NOT have crash/speed trap reporting here. Tried it with Siri and all I got was “incident report is not supported in Ireland.” Pic below also for kicks.

3) Dublin Bus has JUST gotten live updates on maps. Previously it had the “scheduled for: __” thing, but you can now see live delays as well as bus positions on the route. Interestingly, despite being under the umbrella of TFI with Dublin Bus, the LUAS, DART, and the various other providers that serve the Dublin metro area do NOT have live updates. I however can’t speak to whether this is a data integration issue, or whether these vehicles literally just don’t have the capability/hardware.

4) Most interestingly is our look around. Though it’s listed nearly everywhere as covering “Dublin” reality is it more like the entire eastern half of the Republic since it extends from the border down to Rosslare. What’s interesting is where it cuts in and out. You can see in the 3rd picture how look around is only available in County Offaly, and despite the fact that the M7 passes through it and Tipperary multiple times in a short distance, it religiously cuts off at the border despite the fact it’s clear that the car would have had to continue driving because there’s no off ramp. This is the most obvious place I’ve seen, but even looking at the border with Northern Ireland it’s clear that the cars would have had to venture into the North at least a little, and likely recorded something. And on top of it the extent of the imagery is further than what’s highlighted on the map, potentially showing some “cropping” was done instead of the recording just ending. (See last pic) So the question is what gives? Why not release the whole of the Republic at least, and maybe the North too? Clearly some excess data exists. How hard would it have been to allow that motorway to continue? My best guess is that a computer was told “clip around these county borders” and the logic of “but that’s a dumb way to do that for this section” was removed.

Anyway these are my random speculations. Hopefully it provides some amusement!

Attachments

• A5727264-F5F8-47D1-84E9-1649F23872D0.jpeg
    A5727264-F5F8-47D1-84E9-1649F23872D0.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 9A9A0391-FB84-4DC4-ACC0-282824156CDF.jpeg
    9A9A0391-FB84-4DC4-ACC0-282824156CDF.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 327359F5-1F78-4DA6-8F67-9A3A2FAC4B4D.jpeg
    327359F5-1F78-4DA6-8F67-9A3A2FAC4B4D.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 53B46002-9361-4CEA-9B4F-DC26222E6CAC.jpeg
    53B46002-9361-4CEA-9B4F-DC26222E6CAC.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 106

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
Hey everyone! Just figured I’d add a few things I’ve noticed from over here in Ireland on our maps over the past few weeks and months that I haven’t seen mentioned. (Apologies for , on mobile.)

1) I have seen the new review system here, but it only seems to be on restaurants. I’ve attached a photo below for kicks.

2) We do NOT have crash/speed trap reporting here. Tried it with Siri and all I got was “incident report is not supported in Ireland.” Pic below also for kicks.

3) Dublin Bus has JUST gotten live updates on maps. Previously it had the “scheduled for: __” thing, but you can now see live delays as well as bus positions on the route. Interestingly, despite being under the umbrella of TFI with Dublin Bus, the LUAS, DART, and the various other providers that serve the Dublin metro area do NOT have live updates. I however can’t speak to whether this is a data integration issue, or whether these vehicles literally just don’t have the capability/hardware.

4) Most interestingly is our look around. Though it’s listed nearly everywhere as covering “Dublin” reality is it more like the entire eastern half of the Republic since it extends from the border down to Rosslare. What’s interesting is where it cuts in and out. You can see in the 3rd picture how look around is only available in County Offaly, and despite the fact that the M7 passes through it and Tipperary multiple times in a short distance, it religiously cuts off at the border despite the fact it’s clear that the car would have had to continue driving because there’s no off ramp. This is the most obvious place I’ve seen, but even looking at the border with Northern Ireland it’s clear that the cars would have had to venture into the North at least a little, and likely recorded something. And on top of it the extent of the imagery is further than what’s highlighted on the map, potentially showing some “cropping” was done instead of the recording just ending. (See last pic) So the question is what gives? Why not release the whole of the Republic at least, and maybe the North too? Clearly some excess data exists. How hard would it have been to allow that motorway to continue? My best guess is that a computer was told “clip around these county borders” and the logic of “but that’s a dumb way to do that for this section” was removed.

Anyway these are my random speculations. Hopefully it provides some amusement!
Thank you for your write-up. That’s very interesting. However, I must ask you, is Five Guys really considered €€€€ expensive like your screenshot shows?! That seems excessive!

• Haha

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

SunSurfClimb

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2020
Thank you for your write-up. That’s very interesting. However, I must ask you, is Five Guys really considered €€€€ expensive like your screenshot shows?! That seems excessive!
Haha! I don’t know what that’s about tbh! It’s certainly not much worse than in the states. (No more than €10 for a fully loaded up burger?) The POI data here is a little shoddy to say the least…

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Are we expecting iOS 14.5 to drop tomorrow?

I ask, because a new iOS version is usually about to come out when all of my apps are suddenly updating. Updated ten apps this morning, and now another eight want to update.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

I ask, because a new iOS version is usually about to come out when all of my apps are suddenly updating. Updated ten apps this morning, and now another eight want to update.

I don’t think it was scheduled until mid-March according to most opinions…but maybe?

Apps usually update after though, correct??

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t think it was scheduled until mid-March according to most opinions…but maybe?

Based on an email I got today, there won’t be the public release, but there will be a beta. I got an email stating action was going to be required for “this week’s beta” but it was action specific to HomePod betas. (Have to make sure automatic update is turned on because there won’t be a manual update).

I’m not on the HomePod beta, but I’d assume we’ll see betas for everything else, because I don’t think the HomePod betas are independent

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

You weren’t kidding - 17 for IPP and 19 for 12PM.
Maybe a new beta.

On the other hand, spent the last couple of days in Pismo Beach. AM on my 12PM (beta 2) was giving me strange routes in town. More than once it was having me turn the wrong way down a one way road. Been a while since I had the wrong way turns happen.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA

I don't know about the others here, but I usually pop into the app update page and swipe down to "refresh it", in order to force through any updates waiting in the wings. I'm not sure why, but if I *don't* go in and swipe, my iPhone doesn't show the updates badge on the home screen until maybe a couple of days after the updates first become available.

So for me, I usually find myself updating one or two dozen apps just before an iOS update. Perhaps that's only because I force my updates through on a daily basis.

Reactions: Shifts

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I don't know about the others here, but I usually pop into the app update page and swipe down to "refresh it", in order to force through any updates waiting in the wings. I'm not sure why, but if I *don't* go in and swipe, my iPhone doesn't show the updates badge on the home screen until maybe a couple of days after the updates first become available.

So for me, I usually find myself updating one or two dozen apps just before an iOS update. Perhaps that's only because I force my updates through on a daily basis.
I do that too...I'm just not sure why automatic updates doesn't work. I want the app store to check every single night and download updates.

The same happens for me on Apple TV. Hulu is a crappy enough app as it is, but when it starts freezing up, 9 times out of 10, there's an update that I have to manually trigger.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.