Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Thanks for all of the IPAD tips!
Question: When I hold down the - key, how do I choose the bullet option?
Tip: When deleting a large amount of text, hold down the backspace key and it will start deleting words instead of individual letters.
Tip: If you need accent marks and/or special characters, hold the vowel or consonant and several choices will appear.

You just keep holding your finger down and slide over to the bullet then release.
Also-instead of holding down the backspace key......if you want to select or delete a sentence /paragraph/whatever, hold you finger on just one of the words and choose 'select' not 'select all'. Then grab the little blue dot and drag it back or forward up or down to select whichever words you want. Then you can cut copy paste or delete them.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Ksane said:
You just keep holding your finger down and slide over to the bullet then release.
Also-instead of holding down the backspace key......if you want to select or delete a sentence /paragraph/whatever, hold you finger on just one of the words and choose 'select' not 'select all'. Then grab the little blue dot and drag it back or forward up or down to select whichever words you want. Then you can cut copy paste or delete them.

You can also double tap a word to highlight it, and furthermore, if you hold down the second tap you can drag to the left or right to automatically start highlighting.

I think a triple tap in Pages selects the whole sentence, which I wish would get implemented to the browsers too! Along with my aforementioned magnifying glass pop-over.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Never saw this posted anywhere and discovered it by accident... if it's already posted then ignore this post.

If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel."

Also, while an app is downloading and showing "Loading" and the progress bar, you can pause the download by tapping on the icon once.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Never saw this posted anywhere and discovered it by accident... if it's already posted then ignore this post.

If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel."

Also, while an app is downloading and showing "Loading" and the progress bar, you can pause the download by tapping on the icon once.

The shake the iPad trick is cool! I love how the message zips in from the side and bounces back into place. It's the little things that impress.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
JohnSFO said:
The shake the iPad trick is cool! I love how the message zips in from the side and bounces back into place. It's the little things that impress.

Yeah, but why on earth they didn't put a redo in place is beyond me! I am scared of undo...lost too much stuff thinking it might undo a word or two...not an entire paragraph! Undo on the iPad has to be one of the worst pet peeves of mine...almost as bad as the pp for the lack of a fwd delete or lack of arrow keys.

jennyap

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
In line with the above, for the other shortcuts in the 123 keypad, press and hold:
. to get . or …
? to get ? or ¿
! to get ! or ¡
' to get ‘ or ' or ’
" to get » or « or ” or " or “ or „
& to get & or §
$ to get ₩ or £ or $ or € or ¥

Despite having owned a Touch for well over a year, I had no idea about any of the soft key shortcuts. What a dumbass. These are awesome - especially the apostrophe.

Yeah, but why on earth they didn't put a redo in place is beyond me! I am scared of undo...lost too much stuff thinking it might undo a word or two...not an entire paragraph! Undo on the iPad has to be one of the worst pet peeves of mine...almost as bad as the pp for the lack of a fwd delete or lack of arrow keys.

This was new to me too. I just tested it on my Touch (haven't got the iPad with me) and it works for that as well. And (assuming they're the same) there IS a redo. Just shake again after undoing, and it brings up the option to redo :D

jpmfan

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
most likely its been covered already but never know what string of words to use to find it.

If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.

found it today and tested it to see if there is a battery difference between lock screen with sound and watching the video normally, and there is less battery drain (as expected) with the lock screen audio method.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
this is my favorite iPhone/iPad keyboard speedy typing tip:

if you're typing in the alpha keyboard and quickly want to type just a SINGLE numeric character or punctuation mark not found on the main alpha keyboard, and then return to typing alpha characters, you can do this in 1 stroke instead of 3:

- press and HOLD the .?123 key and without releasing it, drag your finger to the number/punctuation you want. then release and it types your numeral and you're back to the alpha keyboard automatically, in just one stroke. this saves manually switching away and back to the alpha keyboard (2 fewer keystrokes)

the same thing works in reverse, if you're in the numeric keyboard mode and want to type a single alpha character, just press and hold the ABC key, drag and release.

for a bunch of other keyboard shortcut typing tips - see:

http://www.labnol.org/software/keyboard-typing-shortcuts-for-iphone-ipad/13564/

for example,

- press and hold vowels to get accents, umlauts and other special versions of those characters e.g. é É ë ö õ ü û å Ã (Note: works for capitals too, just press Shift then hold the vowel). some consonants have special versions too, like ñ ç - same trick, just tap and hold

- press and hold $ key to get other currency symbols, e.g. £ ¥ €

- press and hold the period key when typing an email address in Mail, and you get a popup for common top level domains (.com .net .edu .org, etc)

blokey

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009

Shake again after you undo; redo comes up this time.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
This may be widely known...but I just, finally figured it out after dealing with fat fingers on my iphones and now my ipad...

In notes, or other text based apps...you can hold your finger down until the magnifying glass pops up...then, with much more precision, you can manipulate the cursor to exactly where you want it.

This helps when you need to go back and make a correction in the middle of a sentence, word, or even a paragraph...instead of trying to turn your finger to make it as skinny as possible to get between the letters:)

This is an excellent thread. Weird how I just bumped in to it. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I like the comment about Apple not telling us...kinda like a treasure hunt. Finding different gems is kinda cool. It does look like things have slowed down a bit...with some redundancy in the last couple pages. Has everything been discovered??? LOL...I was bummed to come to the end of this thread:)

J

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
i have the fattest fingers of anyone i know but have never had a problem getting the cursor anywhere i want to edit words.

just click somewhere nearby to where u want it (can usually click the nearest space between words) and then u can fine tune it by sliding ur finger to the desired spot...

but thanks for the magnifying glass tip. that could come in handy too :)

i agree, some great tips in here, although many of them are carried over from the iphone days, it was nice to be reminded that there are easier ways to do things :cool:

blokey

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Desperately wanting to use eTextbooks on your iPad but frustrated with the lack of support of eTextbooks in app stores?

Go to the publisher's website and buy the eTextbook from their website and use a RDP app (such as Jump Desktop) to remotely connect to your computer with your iPad accessing your eTextbook from your home computer.

I know this isn't the perfect workaround but it makes it possible to read textbooks that aren't available through iBooks, Kindle, Inkling, etc. It also makes sure that all of your notes are the same so you don't have to worry about constantly synching your notes.

Just make sure you don't get any ol' RDP app as you'll want to make sure you can get one where you can adjust the resolution or else the text may look blurry. Jump Desktop works great for this.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
When setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both. This way you could use a 1024x768 image, and then zoom in the portrait version so that it fills the 768x1024 screen without being ugly.

Holy crap I never realized it saved both orientations. I thought it would keep auto adjusting by itself.

PR.

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
Bedford, UK
Does anyone have issues with the headphone/speaker volumes?

When on headphones I turn it up to about 90% but when I pull out the headphones the speakers are at 90% as well. If I use the rocker to lower the volume for the speakers it's already showing as 10% and the sound volume is corrected.

ceefax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
iRig

Yeah i had a similar problem with headphones using the iRig.

A lot of people were complaining about the sound being very quiet when using iRig. Counting me as one of them. Then i noticed that my speaker setting where set low and that changing my headphone volume using the control on the cord didnt alter them.

As soon as i turned up my speakers, THEN plugged in headphones the sound level of playing the guitar with iRig was pretty good. Was weird as im guessing they should be linked.

DaWeav

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
most likely its been covered already but never know what string of words to use to find it.

If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.

found it today and tested it to see if there is a battery difference between lock screen with sound and watching the video normally, and there is less battery drain (as expected) with the lock screen audio method.

Also, since the Photo app seems to only play one song instead of an entire playlist, if you have the Picture Frame setup in settings, when on the lock-screen you can double-tap the home screen as jpmfan described, and start playing your last music playlist from the iPod app, then you can tap the Picture Frame icon next to the slider to play playlist music while viewing your pictures.

DaWeav

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
A lot of post throughout this thread mention the 'iPad User Guide' found in the iBooks app. I found two additional 'FREE' iPad books in the iBook app. One is titled, "iPad Starter Guide" and another book is titled, "iPad Basics".

DaWeav

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Here's a trick for those small 'iPhone' only rendered apps on the iPad to zoom them at any zoomed magnification level instead of being restricted to 2x only mode.

1) Goto the iPad Settings
2) Under General select the Accessibility settings
3) Select the 'ZOOM' setting
4) Move the slider to 'ON', AND please read the additional instructions included on the zoom mode page like how to move the zoomed image around the screen for better centering. However, the primary feature is that you can adjust the level of zoom magnification by double tapping the screen and dragging up for more zoom or down for less zoom.

Note: The iPhone rendered app up/down orientation does matter when dragging up or down during zooming.

Now, back out and launch an iPhone only app, but instead of pressing the '2x' icon, use 'three-fingers' and 'double tap' the center of the screen. The initial default first time zoom magnification appears to be '1.5x', but you can now adjust it from as low as 1x to something even more zoomy'r than 2x if you desire.

Just remember to do the 'three-finger' 'double-tap' salute to exit 'zoom' mode and return the screen to normal viewing. This feature also remembers the last used zoom setting you were using as well.

thebleeptruth

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Great long list of tips! Would appreciate if someone could compile and post maybe the 20 best tips so far as this thread is already long. But anyway, great job everyone for all the contributions. I learned a lot.

zkarj

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2007
Rotating photos

In the photos app, to temporarily get around those incorrectly rotated screen captures, use two fingers to pinch/zoom AND ROTATE the image! Shame it can't be made to stay rotated.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
In the photos app, to temporarily get around those incorrectly rotated screen captures, use two fingers to pinch/zoom AND ROTATE the image! Shame it can't be made to stay rotated.

It's a shame, and I'm surprised it still isn't fixed in iOS 4.2, but you can download Photoshop Express free on the App store and then use that to rotate and re-save screenshots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.