Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macwheels

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Yer, there is a rotate button in the photo's app, in 4.2.

Oh yay, thanks for telling us! I've been wanting this for a looong time, so it's a relief to know it's coming. :D (Does the rotate button actually save the image in the camera roll, or album, in its new orientation? or is it just for viewing?... I sure hope it will save pics as rotated -- of course!)

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
For those who need it, perhaps students etc, the "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.

You can now easily type 50° F if you need to.

Thanks for all the tips.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So, can we get this stickied or what? :)

Notice this is in the new iPad Tips,Help and Troubleshooting sub-forum. It was created in order to help members out. This single thread includes posts that include tips,help and troubleshooting.

Please. If you have a tip. Start a thread.
If you have a problem. Start a thread.
If you have a troubleshooting problem. Start a thread.
This way we can be more specific rather than have one long thread.

Ok ? :)

Thanks and feel free to start a new thread if you have tips,need help or troubleshooting.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Now all we need is a hero-like figure to appear from the underworlds of Macrumors and compile every single tip into one long post. Which could then, hopefully, be edited into the original post. Only time can tell if someone will step forward.

Please. If you have a tip. Start a thread.
If you have a problem. Start a thread.
If you have a troubleshooting problem. Start a thread.
This way we can be more specific rather than have one long thread.
I understand that would keep it easier in some ways, but do you think a single compiled list of tips may also be somewhat useful for occasional forum visitors, brand new members, or even random Google searchers, in terms of finding all known iPad tips in one place? I'm not too sure which is more beneficial personally, I only visit the forum occasionally, so I think you'd need to decide that one yourself, sir. :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Now all we need is a hero-like figure to appear from the underworlds of Macrumors and compile every single tip into one long post. Which could then, hopefully, be edited into the original post. Only time can tell if someone will step forward.

I understand that would keep it easier in some ways, but do you think a single compiled list of tips may also be somewhat useful for occasional forum visitors, brand new members, or even random Google searchers, in terms of finding all known iPad tips in one place? I'm not too sure which is more beneficial personally, I only visit the forum occasionally, so I think you'd need to decide that one yourself, sir. :)

That's why I made this a sticky. Input is always welcome but lets not throw this thread off-topic.

Why don't you guys start a HOWTO type thread and if it becomes useful I'll sticky that too.

Thanks !

carry on.

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
For those who need it, perhaps students etc, the "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.

You can now easily type 50° F if you need to.

Thanks for all the tips.

Awesome, thanks! Was looking for this not for temperature, but degree of angles.

emreturkeli

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Middle East / Qatar / Doha
Summary until now...

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the Forum. I did that list for myself, but I think it's a good summary, and it's allready been asked by lots of you... :cool:

• Go to the iBookstore, search for "iPad" You should see Apple's manual for the iPad as a free book. if you just search iPad, it is the first book listed, but if you try and download it from there you get a "no longer available" message, BUT if you click the Top Charts icon at the bottom, it is the second in the Free list, and it downloaded no problem from there. I found two additional 'FREE' iPad books in the iBook app. One is titled, "iPad Starter Guide" and another book is titled, "iPad Basics".
• You can add up to six apps to your dock.
• YouTube app, you can pinch or "un"pinch on the video to bring it full screen and back
• While the video is playing on the web page, you can use the "pinch out" gesture to take the video full screen and the opposite to put it back small on the page again.
• In Photos - you unpinch to explode your photos - when you are ON a single photo you can pinch down and it will go back to that group of photos. Do it again and it goes back to all your groups.
• Setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both.
• Holding the volume down button for 2 seconds acts as a mute switch.
• If an app is unresponsive hold the lock button until you see the power slider and then let go and hold the home to force quit the app. Also works if app keeps crashing on launch.
• Swiping up on the comma/exclamation softkey automatically inserts the apostrophe for you.
• Swipe up a little on the left side of the 123 key that is located on the right hand side you'll get a quotation mark.
• Swipe the right side you can quickly get to the @ key.
• If you hold the .COM button down .NET, .ORG, ect will show up.
• Press and hold '-' and then a subset appears (much like the .com button hold) and you then have access to '—' & '•'
• Press home + sleep button for screenshot. Shows up in photos.
• Both shift keys simultaneously = Caps LOCK
• If ipad locks up = home key and power key for 30 secs resets it.
• Touching the bar at the top (with time, battery etc) while looking at any scrollabl content anywhere on the iPad scrolls straight to the top of the page
• Note that MobileMe keeps bookmarks synced between multiple computers, ipads, iPhones, etc. using Safari.
• Xmarks keeps bookmarks synced between Safari, Firefox, IE.
• Some free cloud back-ups for iPad/iPhone: Google sync for email, contacts and calendars (all push capable) and simplenotesapp.com for notes. Makes it super easy switching platforms too.
• Holding your finger on a location for 2 seconds in Maps will drop a purple pin on it. Pressing the red icon in the pin's menu will turn on Google Street View.
• Open the iBook app. When the shelves and books appear, drag the shelves down as far as they will go. You'll see the Apple logo carved on the wall.
• When you're in Maps, Tap twice the location circle at the top, it turns into compass mode for the map
• Safari on iPhone / iPad doesn't have this but if you bookmark the link below into your bookmarks bar and name it something like "Find" then you can search for text on a lengthy webpage easily. Instructions are here: http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-can-i-search-find-text-web-page-ipad-mobile-safari
• If you're typing something and shake the iPad, a pop up comes up saying "Undo Typing" or "Cancel." Just shake again after undoing, and it brings up the option to redo.
• If you want to listen to a movie while you work but dont want the video to play and drain that battery. if you start the movie/video playing and then lock the screen. the video will stop playing but if you do the home double press, the media controls pop up and you can then resume playing of the video's audio track.
• The "degree" symbol for temperature is available if you press and hold the zero key.
• Want to download docs and create file folders = use GoodReader
• to download a web pdf (for example) simply type a 'g' in front of the http and Goodreader will automatically download it.
• If you have Pages, you can download docs from websites by holding down the link and open in a new page. It will ask if you want Pages to open it and it will download straight to Pages.
• In Keynote while playing a slide show (full screen) if you tap and hold for a few seconds you get a laser pointer.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
GREAT job, Emre!

Now we just need to add the unmentioned tip that you can scroll a web text box (e.g., when replying on a forum, or making a long blog post) by gently swiping with two fingers.

If a moderator doesn't mind, maybe we can have this list incorporated into the first post for all new members?

Again- great job, Emre. :)

emreturkeli

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
Middle East / Qatar / Doha
GREAT job, Emre!

Now we just need to add the unmentioned tip that you can scroll a web text box (e.g., when replying on a forum, or making a long blog post) by gently swiping with two fingers.

If a moderator doesn't mind, maybe we can have this list incorporated into the first post for all new members?

Again- great job, Emre. :)

Your Welcome Guys... It was just copy paste... :)

By the way, my baby finallay arrived last night... I'm now in the process of filling it up with apps.. It's not as easy as it seems :confused: too many options... too much confusion.. It came with the 3.2.2, I don't want to mess with limerae (whatever), so I'm gonna use it until the genuine jailbreakme.com release my version... and actually use this time to understand if I really need JB or not...

I got an amazing amount of support just by reading this forum guys, and thanks a lot for this nice and quality environment... :eek:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Emre said:
Setting up the wallpapers, you can pinch/zoom and pan them around to get them centered just how you like...the trick is, if you then rotate the system, you can do it again for the other orientation, and it remembers both.

I had no clue. Thanks!

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
I'm not sure where this idea came from, but you can't set up wallpapers in this way. If you align it in portrait then switch to landscape and realign it, you'll have lost the alignment in portrait and vice versa. I think this is a mistake.

MacMane

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
Dont know if anyone posted this previously but my iPhone 2g can be used as a capacitive stylus to my iPad. It just works for some reason.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
MacMane said:
Dont know if anyone posted this previously but my iPhone 2g can be used as a capacitive stylus to my iPad. It just works for some reason.

How do you set it up? And in what capacity do you use the setup?

Thanks!

MacMane

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Orlando, Fl
How do you set it up? And in what capacity do you use the setup?

Thanks!

I've read articles about people using strange things as a capacitve stylus, such as a sausage or hot dog in some places, and as weird as it sounds, I sometimes jus touch the screen with different things to see if the capacitve screen detects it because I don't know exactly how a capacitve screen detects fingers and not metal ( I am guessing it has something to do with heat) I will check wikipedia in a sec, but my iPhone 2g was laying on my iPad and the screen was zooming in and out, so I attempted to scroll down the page using a corner of the phone and it just works. Probably not very useful but interesting to a weirdo like myself. I can scroll and click on things with the corner of my iPhone 2g :cool:

b0blndsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
Illinois
Hi All,

Thanks for nice tips. I liked this thread. Here is one tip that can be helpful if anyone want to change the default search engine. Say if you want to use yahoo then go to Settings>Safari>Search Engine and change the search engine to yahoo.

aepple

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
spelling

Great Tips... thanks everyone.

correct spelling by tapping the space when the correct word appears, does anyone know of a way, or App that gives definitions on selected highlighted words.

MacDebbie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Tip # 4: Keeping your ipad in a handy spot next to your bed for quick reference will ensure you don't have sex again and your wife eventually divorces you.

Ha, well maybe your mistake was that you didn't buy her an Ipad too! Don't you have a nightstand on BOTH sides of the bed......

chiragm

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Double Space for Full Stop

I'm sure plenty of you know this but for those who don't, tapping the space bar twice inserts a full stop..

1969cj5

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
Yes, I saw someone complained that Apple messed up by putting the headphone jack at the top rather than at the bottom, so that the cord gets in the way when he uses his iPad in portrait mode. You can rotate the iPad to whatever position you want, so if you want the jack at the bottom, just rotate to the bottom.

Bluetooth headphones

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Single Keystroke Facemarks

There are many Facemarks by single keystroke. Some examples entered on iPad (also iOS devices):

(^○^)
(@_@)
(⌒▽⌒)
(*☻-☻*)
(^◇^)
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
(^O^☆♪
!(◎_◎;)

The setup is iPad Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards:
Add Chinese Traditional (Zhuyin) or Chinese Traditional (Pinyin).
On the native keyboard hold the "globe" icon and slide to CT Zhuyin or CT Pinyin.
Tap .?123 and then tap ^_^ will give many Facemarks by single keystrokes.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
There are many Facemarks by single keystroke. Some examples entered on iPad (also iOS devices):

(^○^)
(@_@)
(⌒▽⌒)
(*☻-☻*)
(^◇^)
ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
(^O^☆♪
!(◎_◎;)

The setup is iPad Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards:
Add Chinese Traditional (Zhuyin) or Chinese Traditional (Pinyin).
On the native keyboard hold the "globe" icon and slide to CT Zhuyin or CT Pinyin.
Tap .?123 and then tap ^_^ will give many Facemarks by single keystrokes.

Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.