Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I do have anker usb c to hdmi adapter and usb c to hdmi cable from 2022. I will try this week/weekend and share my findings.
That would be great!
Youtube TV is likely a bit different than youtube. I am going to play more with some youtube videos tonight to try and determine if it is HDCP causing the issue or what.
I suspect it is something in the app, but I find it interesting I get the same results running Youtube TV over the web. Blank screen with just audio when horizontal.

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
1. Tried connecting samsung T7 4 tb ssd and it worked fine.
2. Tried connecting my kindle scribe to iphone 15 pro max using same cable to copy files. Scribe showing image saying connected to computer but I am not seeing any option in Files app or File Browser Pro app.

Please note that anker hdmi adapter and anker usb c to hdmi cable are bought in 2021/22. Videos are downloaded and phone is in airplane mode. I connected my phone with below accessories to my Denon receiver which is connected to epson 4k laser projector and image is projected on 110 inches screen.

A. with anker usb c to hdmi cable
B. Anker usb c to hdmi adapter and hdmi cable to denon receiver.

Prime, netflix, apple tv - worked fine with screen off. Full screen and audio worked as expected.
hulu - don’t find option to download. But when phone is online, video and audio worked.
Disney - did not work with external monitor error message.
hbo, peacock - audio and subtitles are working but no video. Not sure whether it is my hdmi or issue with the app.
youtube premium- when phone screen is on, audio and video worked but not full screen. When screen is off, no video.

picture quality is not great. Colors look saturated. Might be cable issue, but not sure.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
But more specific, car batteries must do different things than iPhone batteries. And as long as you don't drive a Long Black Electric Cadillac, that does a 1000 miles on a single charge, automobile drivers like to have their cars charged FAST. They cannot wait, they are used to the way gasoline works. So in this sense fast charging means real fast.
Besides the ratio between volume and surface in a car battery is completely different from the volume surface ratio in a phone battery. Thus at the same time a phone battery gets half full, to get a car battery half full it needs much more cooling. Not to mention other factors like the higher power that's needed to charge the battery etc etc. And the absolute necessity to avoid fire in a car battery.
This isn't really necessarily true. Most EV drivers charge at home, and even on a 240V 50A connection, that's effectively trickle charging.

When they do use fast chargers, most modern EVs top out around a 3C charge rate when at a low state of charge and decrease rate pretty quickly from there (tends to average out to ~1C from 20-80%)

iPhone 15 pro maxes out at ~2.2C which really isn't that far off from an EV battery considering there's basically no battery thermal management. And again, most EV drivers do not use fast chargers in their day to day, and instead use home chargers (which would work out to ~.1-.2C)

Reactions: one more

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Lots of testing of the USB-C Digital AV Adapter, and iPhone 15 Pro Max connected to my LG G3 4k OLED TV, arguably the latest/greatest TV you can get this year.

First off, when you plug in the phone it is immediately "Dolby Vision" output even on the Home Screen/Camera(as pictured)/etc. No Dolby Atmos on playback of anything as far as I can tell. More things to test later also vs AirPlay(not tested yet)

1696391272475.png

(Interesting findings compared to the USB-C Direct monitor below.)
All my apps are now up-to-date

Netflix in 4k works great with controls on phone via USB-C to USB-C 4k monitor
Hulu 4k and controls on phone.
YouTube didn't work last week(was simply mirroring phone resolution and AR)... but with update I am playing full 4K now
AppleTV is GD amazing and beautiful of course - zoomable to fill screen
MAX in 4K controls on phone - zoomable to fill screen
Prime in 4k and controls on phone
Disney+ in 4k and controls on phone
Peacock... not 4k. 720p and looks terrible
Paramount+ 4k and controls on phone

Apps connected to LG G3:
  • Netflix in 4k Dolby Vision/HDR works great with controls on phone
  • Hulu 4k "Dolby Vision" not sure on real HDR from phone and controls on phone.
  • YouTube 4k "Dolby Vision" 60 FPS (See screenshot below). When playing the same video on the LG app, it displays "HDR" instead of Dolby Vision. Playing on YouTube app from phone says "Dolby Vision" so it seems like it is converting the HDR from YouTube, cause it looked just as good really. Or this TV is just the s**t
  • AppleTV 4k Dolby Vision controls on phone
  • MAX in 4K controls on phone - zoomable to fill screen (which was the ONLY app to do this on the LG TV and the USB-C monitor, which is kinda rad if you want to zoom in on 2.35 Aspect Ratio movies)
  • Prime in 4k but CLEARLY no HDR at least on Clarkson's Farm which is HDR, but upon trying Rings of Power with Dolby Vision and it WAS in actual Dolby Vision High-dynamic range just like the native app. Looked great. Not so with Clarkson's Farm-4k clearly no HDR conversion.
  • Disney+ in 4k Dolby vision w/HDR and controls on phone
  • Peacock... not 4k. 720p maybe 480p honestly and looks terrible w/no settings to change option
  • Paramount+ 4k Dolby Vision wHDR and controls on phone

Biggest problem for me is the sound difference is terrible from Dolby Atmos through LG TV App/AppleTV/whatever else you connect vs Dolby Digital 5.1 I am guessing being sent from the iPhone/apps. Need to test that on AirPlay... ok just went and did that. Some Apps like AppleTV do AirPlay Dolby Atmos without actually launching the App on the LG TV. Others like Netflix launch the TV app and play Atmos. Disney does not launch the TV App and does not AirPlay in Atmos. So is is hit and miss...

So, if you don't have Dolby Atmos, plug in your phone and go to town with lots of 4K and mostly HDR. If you have Dolby Atmos and AirPlay on your TV.... THEN WHAT ARE YOU CONNECTING YOUR PHONE FOR UNLESS ITS HOME VIDEOS??? Use the TV or connected stb. If you insist or are at friends/family and want to use your phone/streaming subscription then bringing your adapter is a surefire way for most apps. AirPlay video is great and sometimes worth it for better sound than via HDMI and the AV Adapter.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Maybe the word 'charger' is a bit misleading.
The classic concept is that you put a charge on a battery that is capable of re-charging. And the more powerful, the more difference there is between negative and positive, the faster the battery is 'full'. But charging your iPhone works a bit different.

It's your phone that is determining the charge. And your phone can do this at different speeds. But it does not mean that when you connect your phone to a 67 Watt 'charger' it will charge at a higher speed then it would when connected to a 20 Watt 'charger'. Still it will charge at the same speed by a 67 Watt charger as it would charge connected to a 20 Watt 'charger'. Both do charge faster then through a 15 Watt, 10 or even 5 Watt 'charger'. It's a bit like an old fashioned lamp. Your electric home netwrok may be able to deliver 5 KiloWatt, but still a 10 Watt lamp will burn at 10 Watt. The charger is able to deliver 67 Watt. But it does not 'push' this to the iPhone. The iPhone 15 Pro has its own optimum charge Wattage. And it simply does not accept more

The 'cherger' changes the current into a way that the iPhone can handle it. And the charger can do this at a maximum delivery of 5, 10, 15, 20 or 67 Watt. A 100 Watt charger could handle 5 iPhones at the same time. But one iPhone would only use a maximum of 20 Watt. (that is the iPhone 15 pro charging power when I am correct other phones handle only 15 Watt at maximum.)

These Watt rates have been figured out by Apple and they will simply not consume more than that.

To come to your electric car:

Generally speaking, most cars do not drive on iPhone batteries......

;-)

But more specific, car batteries must do different things than iPhone batteries. And as long as you don't drive a Long Black Electric Cadillac, that does a 1000 miles on a single charge, automobile drivers like to have their cars charged FAST. They cannot wait, they are used to the way gasoline works. So in this sense fast charging means real fast.
Besides the ratio between volume and surface in a car battery is completely different from the volume surface ratio in a phone battery. Thus at the same time a phone battery gets half full, to get a car battery half full it needs much more cooling. Not to mention other factors like the higher power that's needed to charge the battery etc etc. And the absolute necessity to avoid fire in a car battery.

Only drivers of a Long Black Electric Cadillac that does a 1000 miles on a single charge don't have to bother about this. Because they can go to sleep every night while their car gets charged at low speed. Just as my iPhone does every night charging at low 20 Watt while connected trough a 67 Watt charger.

Thank you for a thorough reply, I will look more into it. Please also see the post #153 here, as this is what I was referring to.

I charge my electric car with its 52 kWh battery overnight with a “reinforced” GreenUp home socket, outputting just 3.2 kW, whereas the car can take up to 22 kW or 50 kW with a CSS-combo.

Funnily enough, plugging it into a Tesla supercharger (250 kW) results in a car going into a coma and having to cool down for about 30 minutes before I can start it again. So if I need to fast charge it, it is a maximum of 50 kW for me.

Hence me projecting this scenario onto an iPhone. So I still prefer to charge it fully overnight with Apple’s 5W charger and with a 10-20W during the day if I need a quicker boost. I should also probably mention that my iPhone is a 12 mini, nearing three years and still has a rather good battery health (84% of its original battery). I guess when I switch to iPhone 15 I will just limit its charge to 80% to keep the battery even cooler.

Reactions: lemonkid

spinergy

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2016
Does someone have a base iPhone 15 with a USB-C dongle that allows an SD card and an SSD to connect and could test if you can transfer files from the card to the harddrive without having to first copy the files to the phone? That would be a major convience for me to back up my raw files from my cameras directly without having to lug my iPad Pro M1 around. Why the base 15? Because the port is still a slow 2.0 and there's no way I'm going to transfer 80MB raw files at those speeds. Currently on an oldish iPhone SE and looking to upgrade just for the USB-C port. Thanks in advance

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
1. Tried connecting samsung T7 4 tb ssd and it worked fine.
2. Tried connecting my kindle scribe to iphone 15 pro max using same cable to copy files. Scribe showing image saying connected to computer but I am not seeing any option in Files app or File Browser Pro app.

Please note that anker hdmi adapter and anker usb c to hdmi cable are bought in 2021/22. Videos are downloaded and phone is in airplane mode. I connected my phone with below accessories to my Denon receiver which is connected to epson 4k laser projector and image is projected on 110 inches screen.

A. with anker usb c to hdmi cable
B. Anker usb c to hdmi adapter and hdmi cable to denon receiver.

Prime, netflix, apple tv - worked fine with screen off. Full screen and audio worked as expected.
hulu - don’t find option to download. But when phone is online, video and audio worked.
Disney - did not work with external monitor error message.
hbo, peacock - audio and subtitles are working but no video. Not sure whether it is my hdmi or issue with the app.
youtube premium- when phone screen is on, audio and video worked but not full screen. When screen is off, no video.

picture quality is not great. Colors look saturated. Might be cable issue, but not sure.
The colors are due to the phone sending sRGB likely. I noticed that. Had to adjust the TV for the signal. The TV didn't auto switch the color space for the input on my Samsung. Once corrected, colors were good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ysvsr1

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Thank you for a thorough reply, I will look more into it. Please also see the post #153 here, as this is what I was referring to.

I charge my electric car with its 52 kWh battery overnight with a “reinforced” GreenUp home socket, outputting just 3.2 kW, whereas the car can take up to 22 kW or 50 kW with a CSS-combo.

Funnily enough, plugging it into a Tesla supercharger (250 kW) results in a car going into a coma and having to cool down for about 30 minutes before I can start it again. So if I need to fast charge it, it is a maximum of 50 kW for me.

Hence me projecting this scenario onto an iPhone. So I still prefer to charge it fully overnight with Apple’s 5W charger and with a 10-20W during the day if I need a quicker boost. I should also probably mention that my iPhone is a 12 mini, nearing three years and still has a rather good battery health (84% of its original battery). I guess when I switch to iPhone 15 I will just limit its charge to 80% to keep the battery even cooler.
My iPhone X from 2017 has always been charged overnight with the outlet-plug that came with the phone. it now has a capacity of 79 %. My iPhone 15 Pro is still at 100%
;-)

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Lots of testing of the USB-C Digital AV Adapter, and iPhone 15 Pro Max connected to my LG G3 4k OLED TV, arguably the latest/greatest TV you can get this year.

First off, when you plug in the phone it is immediately "Dolby Vision" output even on the Home Screen/Camera(as pictured)/etc. No Dolby Atmos on playback of anything as far as I can tell. More things to test later also vs AirPlay(not tested yet)

View attachment 2288084

Apps connected to LG G3:
  • YouTube 4k "Dolby Vision" 60 FPS (See screenshot below). When playing the same video on the LG app, it displays "HDR" instead of Dolby Vision. Playing on YouTube app from phone says "Dolby Vision" so it seems like it is converting the HDR from YouTube, cause it looked just as good really. Or this TV is just the s**t
  • MAX in 4K controls on phone - zoomable to fill screen (which was the ONLY app to do this on the LG TV and the USB-C monitor, which is kinda rad if you want to zoom in on 2.35 Aspect Ratio movies)
  • Prime in 4k but CLEARLY no HDR at least on Clarkson's Farm which is HDR, but upon trying Rings of Power with Dolby Vision and it WAS in actual Dolby Vision High-dynamic range just like the native app. Looked great. Not so with Clarkson's Farm-4k clearly no HDR conversion.
  • Peacock... not 4k. 720p maybe 480p honestly and looks terrible w/no settings to change option

Biggest problem for me is the sound difference is terrible from Dolby Atmos through LG TV App/AppleTV/whatever else you connect vs Dolby Digital 5.1 I am guessing being sent from the iPhone/apps. Need to test that on AirPlay... ok just went and did that. Some Apps like AppleTV do AirPlay Dolby Atmos without actually launching the App on the LG TV. Others like Netflix launch the TV app and play Atmos. Disney does not launch the TV App and does not AirPlay in Atmos. So is is hit and miss...

So, if you don't have Dolby Atmos, plug in your phone and go to town with lots of 4K and mostly HDR. If you have Dolby Atmos and AirPlay on your TV.... THEN WHAT ARE YOU CONNECTING YOUR PHONE FOR UNLESS ITS HOME VIDEOS??? Use the TV or connected stb. If you insist or are at friends/family and want to use your phone/streaming subscription then bringing your adapter is a surefire way for most apps. AirPlay video is great and sometimes worth it for better sound than via HDMI and the AV Adapter.
Hello, and thanks. Lots of good info here.
I am going to test with plain Youtube this evening.
I realized my issue with Netflix....we dropped to the cheap ad supported plan since we don't watch it as much anymore. That plan doesn't allow external screens via hardwire or airplay.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Sandisk Extreme still not consistently detected after the 17.0.3 update. But I didn't expect it to be.

I hope 17.1 resolves it, but I also understand this SSD appears to want to draw too much power and the iPhone might not like it.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Maybe not super helpful for those here, but I’m able to reverse charge my daughter’s galaxy watch 6 classic with the charger that it came with. We thought it was pretty neat.

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013

View attachment 2288084

Apps connected to LG G3:

Thanks for the update. I assume usb c digital adapter is from apple? Using this adapter, can we charge iphone when we connect it to tv using hdmi?

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Sandisk Extreme still not consistently detected after the 17.0.3 update. But I didn't expect it to be.

I hope 17.1 resolves it, but I also understand this SSD appears to want to draw too much power and the iPhone might not like it.
I suspect power draw from an external SSD is the problem. What sort of external SSD is that Sandisk Extreme? NVME or SATA?

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
I suspect power draw from an external SSD is the problem. What sort of external SSD is that Sandisk Extreme? NVME or SATA?

Not sure but I assume it is SATA. The Sandisk Extreme runs hot even when idle or not mounted, so it is definitely drawing excess power.

I don't see anyone complaining about the Samsung T7.

Last edited:

drunkmouth

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
AudioQuest DragonFly Black DAC works via USB-C to USB-A dongle with automatic sample rate matching with Apple Music. Not a surprise as this worked on the iPad Pro but good to confirm.

Reactions: adam1080

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
AudioQuest DragonFly Black DAC works via USB-C to USB-A dongle with automatic sample rate matching with Apple Music. Not a surprise as this worked on the iPad Pro but good to confirm.
my ifi audio iDSD signature did not work with my old paid app onkyo. At least the app was not outputting the correct DSD format. Downloaded a new app I researched and it does work via usb-c to camera kit. whatever the female usb-a plug-in is.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Not sure but I assume it is SATA. The Sandisk Extreme runs hot even when idle or not mounted, so it is definitely drawing excess power.

I don't see anyone complaining about the Samsung T7.

Tested the Sandisk Extreme with an iPad Pro also. Sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't. It appears to be a problem with mounting and unmounting and reconnecting.

If it was a power issue the iPad Pro should be able to handle it but the same problem happens.

It looks like an iOS and iPadOS problem.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Does someone have a base iPhone 15 with a USB-C dongle that allows an SD card and an SSD to connect and could test if you can transfer files from the card to the harddrive without having to first copy the files to the phone? That would be a major convience for me to back up my raw files from my cameras directly without having to lug my iPad Pro M1 around. Why the base 15? Because the port is still a slow 2.0 and there's no way I'm going to transfer 80MB raw files at those speeds. Currently on an oldish iPhone SE and looking to upgrade just for the USB-C port. Thanks in advance
I have one of those dongles. It's at my house and I'm at my GF's for a few days. I can get back to you mid next week on this.

View attachment 2288084

Apps connected to LG G3:

Super detailed information. Thanks. Apple's USBC to HDMI adapter is expensive. I look forward to learning about 3rd party ones that 100% work. They can be hit and miss and I don't want to go through 4-8 different adapters to find out which one works perfectly.

Reactions: spinergy

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
This isn't really necessarily true. Most EV drivers charge at home, and even on a 240V 50A connection, that's effectively trickle charging.

When they do use fast chargers, most modern EVs top out around a 3C charge rate when at a low state of charge and decrease rate pretty quickly from there (tends to average out to ~1C from 20-80%)

iPhone 15 pro maxes out at ~2.2C which really isn't that far off from an EV battery considering there's basically no battery thermal management. And again, most EV drivers do not use fast chargers in their day to day, and instead use home chargers (which would work out to ~.1-.2C)
Yeah, that's something people usually don't think about regarding electric cars. Your car sits in your driveway for so many hours at home, it might as well be charging during that time. And it doesn't even have to charge quickly.

One big advantage of electric cars is always being able to have a full charge by morning, so you never have to visit any sort of "station" to charge. Fast charging is only needed on road trips.

I'm really looking forward to having one some day. I still love my Accord too much to give it up just yet though. :)

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Yeah, that's something people usually don't think about regarding electric cars. Your car sits in your driveway for so many hours at home, it might as well be charging during that time. And it doesn't even have to charge quickly.

One big advantage of electric cars is always being able to have a full charge by morning, so you never have to visit any sort of "station" to charge. Fast charging is only needed on road trips.

I'm really looking forward to having one some day. I still love my Accord too much to give it up just yet though. :)
However if you are on a road trip, it is not always able to recharge your EV if you are staying overnight in a hotel/motel, unlike a smartphone.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Thanks for the update. I assume usb c digital adapter is from apple? Using this adapter, can we charge iphone when we connect it to tv using hdmi?

For using it with TV specifically, I would advise to bypass adapters altogether and use Apple TV or Chromecast instead. While Apple TV is twice as expensive, it will take on virtually any device without wearing out your HDMI port. My father who plugs/unplugs his iPhone to a TV several times a day is going through his Lightening ports rather fast, so ends up needing to replace his devices.

Reactions: ysvsr1

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
For using it with TV specifically, I would advise to bypass adapters altogether and use Apple TV or Chromecast instead. While Apple TV is twice as expensive, it will take on virtually any device without wearing out your HDMI port. My father who plugs/unplugs his iPhone to a TV several times a day is going through his Lightening ports rather fast, so ends up needing to replace his devices.
I agree upto some extent. But my use case is different. I want to use downloaded videos from prime, netflix, yt etc., to play when I am in hotel where I may not have access to proper internet. With usb c and adapter, I can connect my iPhone to any tv and can watch the content. Without same wifi, we cannot use apple tv and airplay.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I agree upto some extent. But my use case is different. I want to use downloaded videos from prime, netflix, yt etc., to play when I am in hotel where I may not have access to proper internet. With usb c and adapter, I can connect my iPhone to any tv and can watch the content. Without same wifi, we cannot use apple tv and airplay.
Same.
I use it in hotels and at remote camps and cabins where there isn't always WiFi or cell signal.
After much testing, I am returning the Apple adapter and using the Anker 518 usb-c to HDMI.
I am able to get it to work with all services. After some fiddling with settings, I am even able to get that one to work with Youtube TV. The Apple adapter still gives a black screen with Youtube TV 75% of the time. And, the Anker adapter is less than half the Apple adapter. No charging with it, but I don't watch TV for great lengths of time anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.