Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Same.
I use it in hotels and at remote camps and cabins where there isn't always WiFi or cell signal.
After much testing, I am returning the Apple adapter and using the Anker 518 usb-c to HDMI.
I am able to get it to work with all services. After some fiddling with settings, I am even able to get that one to work with Youtube TV. The Apple adapter still gives a black screen with Youtube TV 75% of the time. And, the Anker adapter is less than half the Apple adapter. No charging with it, but I don't watch TV for great lengths of time anyway.
I will buy an adapter tomorrow when prime day start. Will buy one with alt mode to ensure that various streaming apps work.

If I am lucky I might find a discounted usbc hub with hdmi.

Reactions: rsday75

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
As a note, the Uni usb-c to HDMI adapter from Amazon is listed to work with iPhone 15/15 Pro.
I could not get it to pass any video at all from my 15 Pro Max. Not just inside apps, it would not mirror the screen at all. A total black screen. It also became quiet hot. Maybe I got a faulty one, but......

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
I will buy an adapter tomorrow when prime day start. Will buy one with alt mode to ensure that various streaming apps work.

If I am lucky I might find a discounted usbc hub with hdmi.
May I know how to enable/use alt mode on iphone 15 pm?

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Same.
I use it in hotels and at remote camps and cabins where there isn't always WiFi or cell signal.
After much testing, I am returning the Apple adapter and using the Anker 518 usb-c to HDMI.
I am able to get it to work with all services. After some fiddling with settings, I am even able to get that one to work with Youtube TV. The Apple adapter still gives a black screen with Youtube TV 75% of the time. And, the Anker adapter is less than half the Apple adapter. No charging with it, but I don't watch TV for great lengths of time anyway.
Could you please share what are the settings that worked with yt?

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Could you please share what are the settings that worked with yt?
I find it works most times with a high speed HDMI cable (HDMI 2.1) and if I have the video playing on the phone in horizontal orientation before plugging in the usb-c to HDMI adapter.

Reactions: ysvsr1

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
As a note, the Uni usb-c to HDMI adapter from Amazon is listed to work with iPhone 15/15 Pro.
I could not get it to pass any video at all from my 15 Pro Max. Not just inside apps, it would not mirror the screen at all. A total black screen. It also became quite hot. Maybe I got a faulty one, but......
This is not uncommon for third party hdmi adapters - even with lighting iphone.

Some adapters work, others do so intermittently whilst the odd one might initially work but when stop after a few months of software updates.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
I was looking for a USB-C to HDMI adapter for my regular iPhone 15 so I can perform a photo slideshow at work. Someone recommended one of those generic hubs, so I bought and just received the Heymix brand from Amazon Australia. Tested on my home TV and it works fine :) A lot cheaper than the Apple hub AUD $99, while this cheap Heymix branded is AUD $14 (discounted). The con is Heymix can only display 4K at 30Hz, while the Apple hub allows up to 4K 60Hz with iPhone 15.

Heymix USB-C to HDMI hub

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
It says Logitech Brio is confirmed working on the 15 Pro, but I can't find any other info on this. Does it work like the iPad, where it just changes the default camera to it when connected?

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Same.

You could always use magsafe for charging when you need it. I utilized my apple battery pack plugged in when using my usb-c port for other things.

Reactions: ecschwarz

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
You could always use magsafe for charging when you need it. I utilized my apple battery pack plugged in when using my usb-c port for other things.
Yep, I've found this setup to be quite flexible—last week I was on a trip and brought my Anker 622 battery pack along. At night, it was plugged into the wall (to top off) and phone was attached (to charge) and then I used a USB-C Apple Watch charger plugged into my phone to charge my Apple Watch. This would've also left the USB-C port free for HDMI things or even an Ethernet dongle, depending on the situation. A MagSafe or Qi charger would've also worked, but the fact that I was charging three things with one USB-C charger was really nice.

I've heard some folks suggest getting the Apple battery pack due to its excellent iOS integration and also the flexibility to reverse charge from the phone - basically giving you extra power and also giving you the option of charging both devices with Lightning or USB-C.

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
My iPhone 15 connects to my Pro Display XDR (at 4k) using the Apple Thunderbolt 4 cable. Now if only I could run full OSX on this phone my dreams would come true!
That's awesome.

I'd settle for the equivalent of iPadOS on an external display. Yes it's not as good but it's the 80% solution for me.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
That's awesome.

I'd settle for the equivalent of iPadOS on an external display. Yes it's not as good but it's the 80% solution for me.
Sadly, that’s why it’ll never happen. Why would they give you Stage Manager or macOS on an iPhone connected to display, when they can sell you an iPad or Mac instead?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Fun fact: it seems that if you plug a USB-C hub on the iPhone, then connect the hub to a Mac, the iPhone isn’t recognised at all!

spac3duck

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2017
Sadly, that’s why it’ll never happen. Why would they give you Stage Manager or macOS on an iPhone connected to display, when they can sell you an iPad or Mac instead?
Totally agree it would never happen but there are iPhones that cost more to the user than iPads and Macs. (What the bottom line profit is to Apple though could be a different story depending on the device)

Size Spectrum (Left to Right)
Wouldn't it be nice if we were to take away the concept of mobile and tablet as separate entities and think of a spectrum of small to large devices e.g. 5" to 30". Apply the concept of mobile responsive dimensions e.g. mobile responsive websites, to apply to the ever changing resolutions of Apple devices. (Ack - fragmented OS for each device has certainly not helped this approach)

Application of use (Top to Bottom)
Then we could consider the complexity of tasks required to be undertaken across the Y axis to consider the complexity of tasks required with heavy usage at the top and simple tasks at the bottom.

(Just for fun - a Z axis)
To factor in mobility e.g. desktop/monitor vs laptop/iPad

Endstate
AX/MX chip devices that enable a scaled stage manager experience for all users regardless of the size/cost of the device running through USB-C/Thunderbolt onto a varied sized display device.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Previously for lightning cables there are MFI versions, now for USB C to USB C, necessary to wait for MFI launches or anything to look out for when buying these USB C cables that are in the market already? Thanks!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Previously for lightning cables there are MFI versions, now for USB C to USB C, necessary to wait for MFI launches or anything to look out for when buying these USB C cables that are in the market already? Thanks!
Nope, there's no lockout chips on iPhone USB-C. Just get a good cable that's rated for the charging power you want and go to town. As with all products, do be wary of really cheap no-name garbage. This would have gotten you on Lightning too, though.

Honestly Apple's handling of USB-C on iPhones this year is one of the things I'm really happy about. They may have been dragged kicking and screaming to it but they actually did a really good job implementing it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Does anyone know why my 15PM only charges at 5V*1.5A (7.5W) when using a USB-A to USB-C cable, instead of the maximum rated current of the chargers at 2A?

I've tried several chargers, including an Apple iPad charger, and no matter what, even when nice and cool at well below 50% charge, it won't charge faster than 5V*1.5A (7.5W). My 11 Pro Max charges at the full 2A/10W from the same ports with a lightning cable.

This is lousy as I have several decent USB-A power banks that still work great and I don't want to have to upgrade them to get faster charging. :/

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Does anyone know why my 15PM only charges at 5V*1.5A (7.5W) when using a USB-A to USB-C cable, instead of the maximum rated current of the chargers at 2A?

I've tried several chargers, including an Apple iPad charger, and no matter what, even when nice and cool at well below 50% charge, it won't charge faster than 5V*1.5A (7.5W). My 11 Pro Max charges at the full 2A/10W from the same ports with a lightning cable.

This is lousy as I have several decent USB-A power banks that still work great and I don't want to have to upgrade them to get faster charging. :/
Because USB-A doesn't support USB-PD and PPS.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
But then shouldn't it charge at 2.1 amps at least? iPhones and iPads would charge at 2.1 amps using lightning. There shouldn't be any reason they can't do it over USB-C.
No it shouldn’t.

2.1 amps charging on iPhone was never officially supported or even mentioned by Apple. People like you and I just noticed that the old USB-A iPad charger would charge the iPhone faster.

Officially, Apple has only ever supported fast-charging with a USB-C power adapter: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208137

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.