Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
you don't need a psu with 8-pin cpu power connector, 4 pins will be fine. All motherboards I've seen can be powered by 4-pin connector, even when they have 8-pin connector, no problems there, it fits and works.

Could be but that seems like a lot of amps to be drawing on the one cable. If I remember it correctly the i7 cpu family uses ~130w so 130w/12v=~11a through the one cable as opposed to ~5.5a with the two as most of those connectors are in reality two 12v lines that can be split apart to power the older 4pin connectors.

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
i am currently doing my sony vaio laptop as well.. been running my hackintosh for about 1.5 years now with no real issues.
I have my vaio running osx fine but I need to spend some time on drivers... everything is usable except my LAN, my wifi, and sound card... all my sound controls work fine i am just not getting an output, which is the least of my worries.

I am having a usb issue, when i plug in a device it shows on the screen in the notification but the device doesnt mount and show on my desktop.. anyone have a solution for that?

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Windows 7 Won't Sleep

I have a Hackintosh built with a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard. In Vista I was able to put Windows to sleep, but after upgrading Vista to Win7 the sleep function no longer works. I click on Sleep, the screen blacks out for half a second, and then the desktop pops back up.

I've tried disabling all non-Windows Services, all Startup Items, disabling the NIC from waking the computer from sleep... nothing works. The only work around I've found is to set the Windows drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS bypassing the Chameleon (RC3) bootloader. This isn't ideal however as I can't load OS X then.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I have that problem too, but i rarely put 7 to sleep so i didnt think much of it. Are you using the RC windows 7 or the retail copy? I'll keep my eyes open for a fix.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I have that problem too, but i rarely put 7 to sleep so i didnt think much of it. Are you using the RC windows 7 or the retail copy? I'll keep my eyes open for a fix.

I'm using the retail copy. It's definitely a bootloader issue, but I don't know if it's all bootloaders or Chameleon specifically. Others have reported this issue.

Someone recommended turning off Windows hibernation feature. To do this start the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type:

powercfg -h off

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know the results.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
The only work around I've found is to set the Windows drive as the first boot drive in the BIOS bypassing the Chameleon (RC3) bootloader. This isn't ideal however as I can't load OS X then.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Unless they have removed it any Gigabyte board I have had recently has an option to hit the F12 key during start up which then gets you to the boot menu allowing you to choose the drive/media you want to boot from, you may want to use this to boot the OS X drive or even boot the windows drive leaving the OS X as first in the boot order.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Unless they have removed it any Gigabyte board I have had recently has an option to hit the F12 key during start up which then gets you to the boot menu allowing you to choose the drive/media you want to boot from, you may want to use this to boot the OS X drive or even boot the windows drive leaving the OS X as first in the boot order.

You're right, it does! It never even occurred to me to use it! If the hibernation fix doesn't work then this will definitely be a great solution. Thanks!

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You're right, it does! It never even occurred to me to use it! If the hibernation fix doesn't work then this will definitely be a great solution. Thanks!

Your welcome it is a great feature I use it all the time on my spare machine to boot the various operating systems on it.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
thanks to null I finally was able to install Leopard.

I have a Acer Aspire One netbook.

But I want to install Snow Leopard now, but I read that the 10.6.2 update kills the atom chip. If I install Snow Leopard should I keep away from updates?
Can I install Boot Camp or Parallels also?

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
HP mini 311, anyone?

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but has anyone tried to hackintosh a HP mini 311 yet? (The one with the Ion graphics and 11.6" screen).

Once again, apologies if this has been asked and answered.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
It doesnt look like theres a guide yet, but it would pop up here before anywhere else probably.
The gfx are probably going to iffy on that netbook, but it wouldnt hurt to try it out.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
SL 10.6 Dell Vostro a90 Hackintosh Netbook

Followed the gizmodo guide on how to build a hackintosh Dell mini 10v. Unfortunately, I had already purchased the a90 about a week before the new guide was posted and that resulted in me just pretending I already had a 10v.

I followed the step by step guide and successfully installed SL. The only issue right now is inability for the netbook to sleep. When I close the lid, the monitor turns off, but the machine is unable to wake back up. I will try and find a fix...

What's I used:
Family copy of 10.6 I had already purchased for my number of Mac's. - $50 (single $30)

16GB flash drive I bought a little while back from Sam's Club. - $35

Dell Vostro a90 with Ubuntu (after tax and shipping) - $299.18

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 97

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA

But I want to install Snow Leopard now, but I read that the 10.6.2 update kills the atom chip. If I install Snow Leopard should I keep away from updates?

On a Dell Vostro a90 netbook right now running 10.6.1 - you will be fine installing everything right now, but of course search around upon every update. Don't be an early adopter of any updates on a hackintosh.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I followed the step by step guide and successfully installed SL. The only issue right now is inability for the netbook to sleep. When I close the lid, the monitor turns off, but the machine is unable to wake back up. I will try and find a fix...

Do you have the SleepEnabler.kext installed?

Arthagnan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Sweden
I got one too...

• Gigabyte G41M-ES2L (Super cheap and very stable MB)
  • Q9650 @3.00GHz (Quad Core, 12MB cache, it's a screamer)
  • Gigabyte nVidia GTX 275, 896MB (über fast! About 1000x as fast as the GeForce 9400M ;-) )
  • RAM 2x2GB (4GB, 800MHz) (the only real drawback of the MB, only two RAM-slots...)
  • Ante Solo (same color scheme as the new iMacs, looks great)
  • Corsair VX450W (Great PSU, 80+)

Result? Everything works... Audio, LAN and video - with full 3D-support.
Great for gaming. Haven't seen that round spinning ball in weeks now...

I have never been this happy with any of my "real" Macs previously.
(that would be an iBook, Mac Mini and a Power Mac G5)

attachment.php

Pretty cool, ha? :p

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 153

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC

Boot Camp is only able to be done on a real mac because of the EFI on a real mac. On a PC, it uses MBR and BIOS. EFI kinda does both for Macs. Parallels/VMWare Fusion is the only option, unless you want to get into the whole dual boot mess, and unless your doing something like EFI-X, it can get kinda messy. Also, if your going to do OSX on a netbook and add VMWare or Paralells, your going to have a serious performance lag. Unless your running DSL (Damn Small Linux) (or something of that size/structure), running a VM/Guest OS inside OSX on a netbook isnt worth it.

Followed the gizmodo guide on how to build a hackintosh Dell mini 10v. Unfortunately, I had already purchased the a90 about a week before the new guide was posted and that resulted in me just pretending I already had a 10v.

What's I used:
Family copy of 10.6 I had already purchased for my number of Mac's. - $50 (single $30)

16GB flash drive I bought a little while back from Sam's Club. - $35

Dell Vostro a90 with Ubuntu (after tax and shipping) - $299.18

On a Dell Vostro a90 netbook right now running 10.6.1 - you will be fine installing everything right now, but of course search around upon every update. Don't be an early adopter of any updates on a hackintosh.

I havent been able to get 10.6 to work, it hangs on boot everytime, and thats using a custom retail method thats worked for 10.4.8 till 10.5.8, can you PM me the goodies please?

Do you have the SleepEnabler.kext installed?

That or the App Insomniac would do the trick. Or opening up the case and pulling the lid sensor :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I got one too...

• Gigabyte nVidia GTX 275, 896MB (über fast! About 1000x as fast as the GeForce 9400M ;-) )
  • RAM 2x2GB (4GB, 800MHz) (the only real drawback of the MB, only two RAM-slots...)

How much was that Q9650? I didn't think the Antec Solo would look that good.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I got one too...

How much for the whole setup and any guide you used?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
The Q9650 is awesome. I have a Q8400 in my current hack and its pretty snappy, i cant imagine how quick a 9650 would be.

Arthagnan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Sweden
How much for the whole setup and any guide you used?

About $1000 USD, but I didn't buy these components for a Hack-build to begin with. I first used Win 7, and they played very good there too...

You can save a lot of money on a cheaper videocard and a less expensive CPU.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I havent been able to get 10.6 to work, it hangs on boot everytime, and thats using a custom retail method thats worked for 10.4.8 till 10.5.8, can you PM me the goodies please?

For others interested *also PM'd: Followed instructions/figured it out for myself on gizmodo on restoring a purchased version of SL. Put in my Mac, used disk utility to "restore" the DVD to my flash drive.
Once complete - download and run NetbookBootMaker - download the .8.3 RC3 versions on your Mac. They're in beta, but they work for the most part. When that runs, the a90 will see the USB version of the install DVD.

Run as if the USB flash were a OSX install DVD. In the installer DVD run Disk Utility and erase the SSD/HDD in the a90 formatted to Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Quit the utility and run the installer as normal. All should go well.

Once the install finished, the a90 will reboot and OSX 10.6 will be functional with the exceptions on my minimal current problems...

Good luck! Any questions?

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Well it was my time to get an hackintosh,my dv9575ep died,so I had to "live" with my desktop till my parents can afford to give me a new laptop (a macbook or mbp),so decided to give osx a try,and it is up and running,here is the config:
Mobo:Asus P5B "Vanilla" (Intel 965 Chipset,ADI 1988a sound,RTL8111 ethernet,latest bios)
Processor:E6300 1,86GHz@2,8GHz undervolted (stock cooler :( )
Memory:2x1Gb DDr2 800MHz Gskill PK
Video Card: Powercolor X1950PRO 256Mb DDR3 (I must say this,I bought this thing 25eur new!I sold my 7300GT for 20 used..it was a very cool deal,it plays much better and it is fully supported on osx with some drivers that are on the osx86 wiki)
HDD: 160Gb Sata :(
DVD Burner: Asus DRW-1814BLT
Montor: Huge IBM C220P CRT
PSU: OCZ 600W Modular
Wifi: SMC USB-G EU based on zydas chipset
Keyboard: currently a PS2 genius slimstart,but a apple keyboard is on the way..
Mice:Atech X-710BF, waiting to have money to buy the logitech V470
Webcam:Creative Vista IM (supported by macam)
It is running Iatkos 10,5,7 with update for 10,5,8 (I just downloaded from apple,and installed..I just needed to install the graphics driver again).
I don't like much of the artwork of Iatkos,any sugestion on another distro?
And about bootloaders,are there something more "pretty" than the chameleon one?
I dont know much about it because in my laptop I used grub to boot osx :D

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ok im having an issue

I am using the boot 132 method where i have chameleon on a usb stick that allows me to select the drive to boot

as of right now, i need that usb stick to boot into leopard

now heres the thing, i used to have a seperate partition on the hdd for the chameleon and extras and what not and can not for the life of me get it to work without a kp when i try it off the hdd

any suggestions? its aggravating!

i have changed the symbios in the extra to refelct the chamelon partition as well as tried the system partion ssid to no avail

edit
figured it out by just reinstalling SL from scratch and making sure the Cham partition was the first one

ALSO
Anyone that has an IDE drive will work as long as you enable legacy ide in the bios

I have my ide optical drive fully working in SL and have been for a long time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.