Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Problem with 8800GT - OSX 10.5.8

I have just bought an nVidia 8800GT to use in my hackintosh because I wanted to get dual displays working, however, I can't even get the driver installed.

I am trying to use the NVinject (as recommended on the HCL), and have followed these instructions as well as these.

However, I keep getting an error saying the kext was not correctly installed.

Can anyone help please?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I have just bought an nVidia 8800GT to use in my hackintosh because I wanted to get dual displays working, however, I can't even get the driver installed.

I am trying to use the NVinject (as recommended on the HCL), and have followed these instructions as well as these.

Can anyone help please?

Forget Nvinject use either a graphics string in your com.apple.Boot.plist or an edited DSDT.aml if you use it. Now for anyone to be able to help you do this you need to give more information and since you got an 8800GT then you will want to install a Disabler.kext that includes the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext in its blacklist as it causes funky problems with that family of cards.. You should probably head over to Insanely Mac to ask your questions about it they can get bitchie about it here. If you do so the information you should include is all hardware in the machine, method of install, version installed, .kext and boot loader used plus exact error message(s) with screen shots if you have them.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Just an update on my build. Updated to Snow Leopard pretty easily. I had to manually copy everything from my TM backup though since Migration Assistant was having its period or something haha

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Got mine all up and running stable on 10.5.8. Not really in any rush to update to snow leopard, 10.5 does everything I need it to.

Specs are:

Intel 2.6GHZ Dual Core E5300
Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Motherboard
2GB DDR2 800 RAM
640GB SATA HD (160 GB HFS 500GB NTFS)
ASUS 9800GT (Using 8800GT EFI STRING)
80GB HD running Windows 7 (make shift bootcamp to play Left 4 Dead and VPN into work)

Everything is working except my line in, but I am looking into an external sound card for audio recording so not an issue.

Has anyone got any experience with running snow on this board?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Got mine all up and running stable on 10.5.8. Not really in any rush to update to snow leopard, 10.5 does everything I need it to.

oh oh i have the same board as you! except i have an E4600 running (might upgrade to quad core soon). i would also like to know the SL status :D

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I finally updated to 10.6.2. Everything works except the sound so i had to switch over to VoodooHDA and set up sleepwatcher to unload/reload the kext on wake/sleep so it doesnt get all distorted. Its not ideal, but theres not many options now with the stupid dsdt trend.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
so I read that the Dell 1490 is osx compatible, so I bought one for my Aspire One. But its kind of unstable. The aiport icon shows, and it says I'm connected but when I use firefox I can't connect to any pages. Sometimes it doesn't even connect to my network at all.
Any solutions?

brewty

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
please advise

Hello,
I have a fully functional dual boot MSI Wind hackintosh. I would like to purchase another MSI Wind from Newegg (or where ever) and make a second hackintosh. My question is this: can I do a full copy of my HDD and place the copied HDD in the second MSI Wind and have it work? Or, do I need to do the whole process over again? The reason that I prefer to do the copy is because I purchased the MSI Wind the way that it is, and am not all too sure of how to make an exact replicate on my own. Also, supposing that this will work, what program should I use to make the duplicate HDD. It does not have to be a free program, it just needs to work. Thanks. Please PM me with a response.
-brewty

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Hello,
I have a fully functional dual boot MSI Wind hackintosh. I would like to purchase another MSI Wind from Newegg (or where ever) and make a second hackintosh. My question is this: can I do a full copy of my HDD and place the copied HDD in the second MSI Wind and have it work? Or, do I need to do the whole process over again? The reason that I prefer to do the copy is because I purchased the MSI Wind the way that it is, and am not all too sure of how to make an exact replicate on my own. Also, supposing that this will work, what program should I use to make the duplicate HDD. It does not have to be a free program, it just needs to work. Thanks. Please PM me with a response.
-brewty

Yes you can use diskutil to do a restore onto the new machines hard drive. Just connect the new drive to the old machine with an external usb enclosure no need to install just use the connector with HD on anti-static bag. Once connected to your current machine open diskutil choose your install partition as the source in the Restore tab then new drive partition as destination click apply let it do its thing when done re-install the boot loader used onto the new drive. You would most likely want to boot the new machine with the usb drive first to make sure every thing went well if it did then shutdown and put the drive back into new machine.

brewty

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
Awesome! I will give this a try and post the results. It will be a couple of weeks though, as I have not purchased the second computer yet because I wanted to know how much trouble it was going to be!
-brewty

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Awesome! I will give this a try and post the results. It will be a couple of weeks though, as I have not purchased the second computer yet because I wanted to know how much trouble it was going to be!
-brewty

Not much trouble at all done it dozens of times testing upgrades. Only thing you may not like is since you cloned the first machine is the host/computer name will be the same so you will end up with for instance MyMacPro 2 if both are connected to the same network at the same time on one of the machines.

brewty

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2008
one more thing....

As I prepare to do this, can I upgrade to a larger HDD, or does the disc have to be the same size because it is already partitioned in a certain way.... sorry if this is a dumb question, you have all been so helpful!
-brewty

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
As I prepare to do this, can I upgrade to a larger HDD, or does the disc have to be the same size because it is already partitioned in a certain way.... sorry if this is a dumb question, you have all been so helpful!
-brewty

Size does not matter nor the partitioning really as long as it is a large enough partition to hold the operating system, when you install a boot loader like Chameleon you can just install to the partition where the operating system is located and it should just boot. Now if OS X is going to be the only thing on the drive then in diskutil when you do the partitioning/formatting of the new drive before the Restore you should go with GUID partitioning scheme HFS+ formatted.

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD

Specs are:

Intel 2.6GHZ Dual Core E5300
2GB DDR2 800 RAM
640GB SATA HD (160 GB HFS 500GB NTFS)
ASUS 9800GT (Using 8800GT EFI STRING)
80GB HD running Windows 7 (make shift bootcamp to play Left 4 Dead and VPN into work)

Everything is working except my line in, but I am looking into an external sound card for audio recording so not an issue.

I have the same board as you, except I have a Q9400 @ 3GHz. Snow Leopard is ridiculously easy as the guide has been updated recently.

Just follow this and if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help where I can.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retail-snow-leopard-dvd-install-for-g31m-t3672/

Ownage

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
Chameleon Bootloader won't Boot at All (Dell Inspiron 1525)

EDIT: Attached specs do not seem to view correctly. You can check it out here: http://pastebay.com/73784

I am using this version of the Chameleon Bootloader http://macyourpc.com/2009/09/13/mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-retail-install-boot-132-method/

This and EmpireEFI once booted fine on my machine. I even successfully installed mac to a USB disk. Now this bootloader, the stock chameleon bootloader, and EmpireEFI will NOT make it to the bootscreen at all. I have tried the cdboot file from the latest version of chameleon to no avail. The following is displayed

reading ramdisk image bt(0,0)/Extra/PreBoot.dmg (sometimes with a \ at the end)
no ramdisk config.....

Mounting done..

and boom it freezes.

I am able to boot this fine in VMWare, but not on my PC. I have made no changes to my computer other than reformatting and repartitioning my HDD (to MBR). I also tried disabling all "unneeded options" in BIOS such as wifi, NETWORK, MULTITHREADING, ETC

What could be going on?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I have a cheap pci fw400 pci card that worked great. Its not even a brand name, just some junk i found laying around. It did work, then it stopped for no reason. It doesnt work on either of my towers so i think the card itself died :( No more recording audio to my fw drive :(

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
I'd like to add a Firewire 800/400 card to my hackintosh. I have PCI slots and would prefer 2x800 and 1x400 on the rear plate and also an internal header to connect to my tower's front panel. Any suggestions?

just google/ebay for a fw800 card thats supported for Mac OS X. Google it to confirm.

I have a cheap pci fw400 pci card that worked great. Its not even a brand name, just some junk i found laying around. It did work, then it stopped for no reason. It doesnt work on either of my towers so i think the card itself died :( No more recording audio to my fw drive :(

same as above.

JackButler

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Anyone running a Wacom Intuos4 on their hackintosh? is it working properly with latest driver?

I'm looking at getting one soon (the medium).

any feedback please.... Thanks

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany

Can anyone help please?

You may give "natit.kext" a try, too: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=129

The com.apple.bootlist string inject or dsdt method do not always work - at least with me and my native mac ready 7300GT.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Now I'm looking for a USB bluetooth dongle. Does anyone know of a compatible device?

im using a bluetooth 2.0 EDR mini usb from eBay. couple of bucks and it works fine! not 2.1 albeit, they are hard to find.

you can see my new Hackintosh in my sig. very stable and fast but a few things not working properly. will post some info and pics in the other thread when finished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.