Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
whats up with the Core i5 Eidorian? ive read that getting a vanilla install of Snow Leopard is extremely hard as Apple hasnt released any Lynnfield CPU Macs yet... hopefully soon? i think iDeneb and other distros can be used with a patched kernel but im wanting vanilla baby.

merelli

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
Texas
Ok, so I followed the guide there to the letter and installed Snow Leopard, but when I start up, Chameleon gives me an error of "cant find mach_kernel10.5.6". I tried booting via "mach_kernel" and any other combination I could think of, but nothing works. So I have a successful Snow Leopard install, but nothing will get it to start up. Any thoughts.

New netbook installer was released thursday to fix the problem here is the link

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
well ive bought an i5. looking thru InsanelyMac i think Leopard can be installed on but not a vanilla Snow Leopard install i dont think… hopefully a breakthru in the future.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
does anyone have 4850 or 4870 configured in their dsdt file? if so, mind sharing the code snippet so I can paste it into mine?

or does any one know if i can simply leave my current dsdt (that has 8800gt support) and just change the efi string in the boot.plist file to get support for the new cards

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
does anyone have 4850 or 4870 configured in their dsdt file? if so, mind sharing the code snippet so I can paste it into mine?

or does any one know if i can simply leave my current dsdt (that has 8800gt support) and just change the efi string in the boot.plist file to get support for the new cards

I recommend you patch a new DSDT without a graphics and create a 4850 EFI string for your boot.plist.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
dsdt patching will kill us all.

At the end of Leo's life the hackintosh scene was getting to be very noob-friendly and the dsdt editing trend screwed that all up. The only dsdt edit i have is the one that makes the cmos not freak out when you reboot.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
dsdt patching will kill us all.

At the end of Leo's life the hackintosh scene was getting to be very noob-friendly and the dsdt editing trend screwed that all up. The only dsdt edit i have is the one that makes the cmos not freak out when you reboot.
DSDT patching will also make incremental updates much simpler.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Probably, but it would be pretty difficult.
If you are trying to install 10.6 you can drop an old hdd in your computer, install Leopard from iPC or something and make your bootable usb drive.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Just an unrelated question: has anyone solved the time dilemma on a Hackintosh when switching between Leopard and Windows XP? There is always a 4 hour clock difference. Example: change the time in Windows, switch to Leopard, and there is a 4 hour difference. Now, change the time in Leopard, switch to XP and there is a 4 hour difference.

Not a big deal, but just wondering why.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
If you can find bootcamp drivers there is something that fixes that. Its not a bug, its that windows and osx use two different ways of measuring time (UTC and something else, cant remember) . The same thing happens when dual-booting linux and windows unless you tell linux to do it differently.
Thats not a very precise answer, but hopefully it helps.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
If you can find bootcamp drivers there is something that fixes that. Its not a bug, its that windows and osx use two different ways of measuring time (UTC and something else, cant remember) . The same thing happens when dual-booting linux and windows unless you tell linux to do it differently.
Thats not a very precise answer, but hopefully it helps.

Windows uses local time for the clock as opposed to UTC usage by just about every other OS is what you are getting at. All that needs to be done is set windows to use UTC if the OP searches on "setting windows to UTC" s/he should find the registry setting that needs to be set for windows to use it.

yardie

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
Create a reg file for windows and put this in it.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
You'll need to reboot windows for the change to take.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'm thinking of picking up a Dell Studio Hybrid as a media computer for the living room (to go with my quad core custom build, and my MSI :)). There's a very cheap clearance deal going locally.

Anyone know if they're easy/hard to install OSX on?

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Windows uses local time for the clock as opposed to UTC usage by just about every other OS is what you are getting at. All that needs to be done is set windows to use UTC if the OP searches on "setting windows to UTC" s/he should find the registry setting that needs to be set for windows to use it.

I checked the Internet and found the instructions to do the above. But just after the instruction were many comments saying that the fix either did not work or only worked temporarily.

Since I rarely use Windows on my Hackintosh, it is not an urgent need.

Thanks for your input.

Create a reg file for windows and put this in it.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001
You'll need to reboot windows for the change to take.

That is the instruction I found with the results I posted a few minutes ago.

Thanks

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Probably, but it would be pretty difficult.
If you are trying to install 10.6 you can drop an old hdd in your computer, install Leopard from iPC or something and make your bootable usb drive.

I'm just trying to install Leopard on a Acer Aspire One
What is iPC?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I'm just trying to install Leopard on a Acer Aspire One
What is iPC?
iPC is a prepatched Leopard disc, which wouldnt help you anyway because you'd still have to install that via disc or usb.
Your best bet is to find a friend with a mac you can use or turn a desktop you have into a hac, even if just temporarily.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
iPC is a prepatched Leopard disc, which wouldnt help you anyway because you'd still have to install that via disc or usb.
Your best bet is to find a friend with a mac you can use or turn a desktop you have into a hac, even if just temporarily.

The only hac i can get is Tiger, can you do it with Tiger?

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
so i tried and it won't work on osx tiger, since the os86tool is only compatible with 10.5 and up. Is there a similar tool for tiger?

akhamish

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
I'm about to order all the components for my first hackintosh build and I wanted to list them here first to get any comments, advise, reactions, etc. before I commit:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Q9550 Quard Core "Yorkfield" 2.83
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB
Full Tower Antec 1200 case
G Skill 240 pin DDR3 1333 SDRAM 4gb
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W
MASSCOOL 8WA741 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER
Patriot Warp 32 GB 2.5" SATAII SSD
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA 7200 RPM
TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR Ethernet Adapter
ASUS WL-138g V2 PCI Wireless Adapter
Samsung SH-S222L/BEBS Internal Half Height Supermulti PATA 22X Lightscribe DVD-Writable Drive

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/corrections since they would probably save me a lot time in trial and error.

nullx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Wilmington/Jacksonville, NC
so i tried and it won't work on osx tiger, since the os86tool is only compatible with 10.5 and up. Is there a similar tool for tiger?

AFAIK, no there isnt. What are you using OSX86Tools for anyway?! I mean seriously, PCWiz is a moron for releasing that. You were trying to get a Leopard Disk image on usb right? You need the disk util in Utilities, not PC Wiz' crappy attempt of an app.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I'm about to order all the components for my first hackintosh build and I wanted to list them here first to get any comments, advise, reactions, etc. before I commit:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Q9550 Quard Core "Yorkfield" 2.83
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB
Full Tower Antec 1200 case
G Skill 240 pin DDR3 1333 SDRAM 4gb
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX950-D-B 950W
MASSCOOL 8WA741 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
ZALMAN VF700-CU 2 Ball VGA COOLER
Patriot Warp 32 GB 2.5" SATAII SSD
Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA 7200 RPM
TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR Ethernet Adapter
ASUS WL-138g V2 PCI Wireless Adapter
Samsung SH-S222L/BEBS Internal Half Height Supermulti PATA 22X Lightscribe DVD-Writable Drive

I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions/corrections since they would probably save me a lot time in trial and error.

nice setup! i would be so happy to have that.
just a few small issues
1. are you planning to OC? if yes, of course get the cooler, if not then there is no need for it really.
2. are you a heavy gamer? the GPU is a tiny bit outdated now and a 5**0 series by ATi would be better/last that bit longer. personally i am a nvidia man, havent had any problems with my 8500 card.
3. will the WD green be your primary startup drive? its just a tiny bit slow but wont really be noticed unless your like a crazy video processing guy or something haha.

should be a great combination though i think. i dont think you will have any problems with setting it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.