Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What describes you?

• No way would I build a hackintosh

Votes: 349 23.0%
  • I'd consider it if Apple doesn't provide a new Mini or headless iMac in the next three months

Votes: 185 12.2%
  • I'm considering it right now

Votes: 578 38.2%
  • I already built one

Votes: 403 26.6%

• Total voters

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I pulled the details, and placed it in the previous post. ;)

Makes it a really nice board for drive capacity without an quick need for a controller card in the 4x PCIe slot. ;)

I'm using ASUS atm, and I've had good luck with them for awhile now (workstation & server boards; current = P6T6 WS Revolution). I've not used a Gigabyte recently at all.
I have another system with a EP45-DS3L that this P55 system is replacing. I had to replace the heatsink and Gigabyte sent me a new one no questions asked.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I have another system with a EP45-DS3L that this P55 system is replacing. I had to replace the heatsink and Gigabyte sent me a new one no questions asked.
:cool:

I've been lucky, and haven't RMA'd a board since 1991 on a personal system. :eek: :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That works too. :D

How long did it take?
It took about a week. 5 business days. I got it down to this on mWave. Shipping is free.

Attachments

• mwave.png
    mwave.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 112

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It took about a week. 5 business days. I got it down to this on mWave. Shipping is free.
I recall spotting the i5-750 @ $167 & free shipping, and the board at $110USD. I'd have to check if anyone's offering free shipping with the board if ordered separately.

I think this is where the $167 number came from (not a specific site that's selling it at that price). But it's a way to get a discount (legal btw :p). :) Just another idea to save some cash on the build. ;)

Check it out if you wish. :D Otherwise, what you've got isn't bad either (non PayPal, Bing,... other discount deals). I was just thinking that you could perhaps apply these types of discounts to the order, not change vendors (stock reasons).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's even better! Bing and PayPal have some nice deals if you want to go through them. I have no problems with that. :cool:

Edit: $51.50 off of the processor on Circuit City and I got $10 off the motherboard from MWave. Thanks!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
That's even better! Bing and PayPal have some nice deals if you want to go through them. I have no problems with that. :cool:

Edit: $51.50 off of the processor on Circuit City and I got $10 off the motherboard from MWave. Thanks!
:cool:

Glad it worked out for you. :) Less money for the exact same thing is always nice. :D

I'm thinking of building an AoE box with it, as it has a nice port count compared to other possible solutions I've looked at (most only have 4 ports, and the slot configs aren't conducive to adding in addtional SATA cards (port count = 4 at best, unless I use an HBA, which needs 8x PCIe lanes). PCI is too limited, and needed for NIC's anyway.

so by what I can tell, this system would work right?
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/9962111
I think so, but others might know a bit more on that model than I. Actually a good place to look, then ask (as it may have already been answered/tried), would be the various Hackintosh forums. ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Does anyone have a sound solution for a GA-P35-DS3L rev 2 board?

The leopard solution results in kernel panics when I attemt it for SL

Also, does anyone have ANY idea how to make my IDE drive workable in SL?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I havent bothered with SL yet. I wont try installing it until i get a 10.6.2 disc, just to avoid as many bugs as possible.

Do you have Netkas' FakeSMC.kext installed? Im not sure what it does, but it replaces dsmos and AppleDecrypt and does all sorts of other cool stuff at the same time.

You might try booting into 32bit mode too, its much more compatible with the 3rd party kexts. I forget what the boot flags are for that, but it shouldnt be hard to find.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
i have SL 10.6.1 running perfect at the moment and 10.5.8 perfect on another drive

life is good
I've been holding out for something more stable than the initial release myself (10.6.0), before attempting it.

So in your opinion 10.6.1 is fine, and it's OK to go ahead with it?
Any small issues to be aware of?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I've been holding out for something more stable than the initial release myself (10.6.0), before attempting it.

So in your opinion 10.6.1 is fine, and it's OK to go ahead with it?
Any small issues to be aware of?

I havent noticed any issues at all with my build. Was able to update to 10.6.1 from 10.6.0 with no issie at all. Just did software update

I will say that my install of SL is much "cleaner" than Leopard since I have a chamelon partition and what not as opposed to keeping everything on a boot drive

This guide is very good
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic= 180954

If you have a GA-P35-DS3L, here is my supplement to his guide (the rights kexts and whatnot). Note, I did the usb thumb drive install as i dont have to burn dvds all the time

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186338&st=0&p=1264705&#entry1264705

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I have an EFI parition setup currently, and it is sooooo much nicer than putting all the kexts in /S/L/E. I still have to put HDAEnabler, AppleHDA, ATY_init, and the eVGA GTX280 drivers (for my 260) in the install partition, but i dont care much, the important stuff like SATA, ethernet, and dsmos are all in the other partition.

What does one have to do differently to install SL? Im hoping i can use my existing efi partition and just replace 10.5 with 10.6, but i know it cant be that easy ;)

I wonder if ATY_init can be loaded from the efi partition... If so then when i install SL i dont have to install anything to get full video.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I havent noticed any issues at all with my build. Was able to update to 10.6.1 from 10.6.0 with no issie at all. Just did software update

I will say that my install of SL is much "cleaner" than Leopard since I have a chamelon partition and what not as opposed to keeping everything on a boot drive

This guide is very good
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic= 180954

If you have a GA-P35-DS3L, here is my supplement to his guide (the rights kexts and whatnot). Note, I did the usb thumb drive install as i dont have to burn dvds all the time

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186338&st=0&p=1264705&#entry1264705
:cool: Thanks. :)

I was hoping I could install 10.6.0, and the update would solve the issues I've been reading about. :)

I think I've got everything I need, now I just need to set aside the time. One other project to finish first though.... :p

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
Just finished my 10.6.1 install. It's much more streamlined than my Leopard install, where i wasn't so sure which kext were original and which some hacked ones after a while. Now all resides in /Extra or /Extra/Extensions. I even altered my DSDT file to include my new GeForce 9600 GT, made my USB EHCI ports and SATA drives "internal" without the need for a kext.

Time Machine is now doing an Backup up my new Snow Leopard. :D Yeah i'm really happy that all worked out so well...

MartinAyla

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
eidorian,

Will the P55 chipset work with Snow Leopard?

Does it need a specific chipset "driver" for it to work?

Also, will the Core i7-860 work, is it already supported?

I want to buy the GigaByte mATX UD4 P55 board and the i7-860 for Snow Leopard use :)

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Back to my Mac works between a Hackintosh Netbook and a Hackintosh Tower, right

More specifically, how would the Netbook handle my Desktop's 1680x1050 resolution? Would it Resize to 1024x600?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Back to my Mac works between a Hackintosh Netbook and a Hackintosh Tower, right

More specifically, how would the Netbook handle my Desktop's 1680x1050 resolution? Would it Resize to 1024x600?

i dont see why it wouldnt handle it.. most if not all computers these days can handle at least 1920x1080 resolutions.

wait.. i misread your question HAHA.

it would still use the resolution that the physical computer is set to, but would squish down the size to fit your screen. you can always view at the Actual Size but.. it just takes a bit of moving around to fit it all in.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
i dont see why it wouldnt handle it.. most if not all computers these days can handle at least 1920x1080 resolutions.

wait.. i misread your question HAHA.

it would still use the resolution that the physical computer is set to, but would squish down the size to fit your screen. you can always view at the Actual Size but.. it just takes a bit of moving around to fit it all in.

Do you know of a way to add 1024x600 to the drop down 'Displays' menubar icon list? This seems like an easy solution to my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.